• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Roster?

Does Smash 4 have the best smash roster?

• Total voters

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
Im not sure. I really liked melee's it had roy and mewtwo, but this game had a couple newcomers I would like to try out like Pac-Man, Bowser Jr., and Duck Hunt Dog so it is close for me.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Wow.

I don't even know what to say, I understand that you want Ridley, seriously, I did too and a part of me is still dissapointed that he didn't get in.

But every single other character is now automatically worthless because he's not in, even if you recognized them as good additions? That's just... Don't really know how to put it without feeling like a huge jerk, but it doesn't make any sense to me.

If you judge things based on what they aren't rather than what they are, you're never going to enjoy anything in this world.
Like I said, I either want everything or I want nothing. I absolutely love the inclusions of Rosalina, Little Mac, Villager, Palutena, Robin, Lucina, hell, Rosalina, Awakening Rep and Villager were all on my most-wanted list, but Ridley's on a whole new tier, he was on the most-wanted of the most-wanted list.

And if you look at it from a what you have perspective. Then the roster's pretty amazing, but when you realize what you're missing, you realize how much it's really missing! I like all those characters I mentioned, but whenever I'm playing as them, I'm going to remember 'Oh, right, this person made it before Ridley! God, they totally didn't deserve this!' and I bet it'll be even more demeaning when the Wii U version arrives with Pyrosphere, and we see the culmination of Sakurai slapping every Metroid fan in the face, not to mention K. Rool fans and Mewtwo fans. Not to mention Ice Climbers and Snake mains.

This music was sacrificed to bring you Mario and Pit playing dressup (Talking about Snake being a cut character):

I'm sure I'll enjoy this piece of crap eventually...but this Smash game won't be as good as it could've been with Ridley, K.Rool, Mewtwo...and of course a real story mode, to tell the truth. I'm sure I'll warm up to it...especially if we get DLC to correct some of the roster shortcomings, but EVEN if we get Ridley as DLC, the starting version of the game still shipped with a dissapointing, Ridley-less roster.

Yes, I consider Ridley to be objectively the most relevant Newcomer of them all. I think you can look at the page number on the Ridley thread (Closed because some people were actually calling Sakurai out on his bull among all the 'oh well the game will still be good' apologists) to prove this point.
Calm down, I'm a huge Ridley supporter too, I would take him over any of the newcomers we got any day. However your attitude about the whole roster being terrible because Ridley didn't make it in is immature and embarrassing to a lot fellow Ridley supporters, including me. It just gives more ammo for the detractors to fire at us. Trust me, at least get your hands on the game and play all of the characters first, you never know what character you might get into.
Oh I do know, I already said I love Rosalina, Villager and Mario, but they're not Ridley...
You are just making yourself look so immature. Are you sure you're not 11 years old? Just shut up now. You're making yourself, and the entirety of the Ridley fanbase, look bad. You're not helping anyone's case. I'm surprised a mod hadn't given you an warning for flaming yet. Ridley is not "The Character". No one is, or will be. Get over it.
Haven't you considered the fact that I'm not actually flaming anyone? I'm not 11 years old...you shut up, the only people who are making the Ridley fanbase look bad are the people who are accepting this roster as anything higher than a 4 out of 10. And Ridley IS "The Character".

Last edited:

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
I'm extremely dissapointed for the choices, I mean, DK doesn't even get a clone? Seriously?
I never cared much about many of these newcomers with the exception of Shulk and Rosalina, Ridley is not here, which means another 6 years of waiting to see if someone else decides to give him his well deserved spot, and is just not Ridley. No Mewtwo? I wouldn't be so mad about Mewtwo if Sakurai could have keep his mouth shut back when he said "we are considering it", I mean seriously, popular, requested, moveset potential or in his case, more buffs, heavily marketed by the pokemon company, Just how does Sakurai picks characters?, KKR would have been a good bonus but I'm not angry about him, Dixie deserved a spot, it was the perfect opportunity to add her, but no, DK gets ignored again, even Mother got a new stage and some AT's, I honestly never though Lucas deserved the spot, I don't understand why was wolf cut, Time issues? He is a semi clone, he is popular, and is from an important franchise, Why did these clones got over him?and don't even say "duh, recency" because there is going to be a new star fox and it started development way before these game, IC and Snake are gone but I can understand that
4/10

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
I think sakurai should no but now he is getting a lot of negative feedback, even on YouTube comments

RazorsawTF

Smash Cadet
I think sakurai should no but now he is getting a lot of negative feedback, even on YouTube comments
you act like that's a new thing.

Also, Metroid does well enough, but it's not as big a deal as people make it out to be.

Which makes Ridley himself even less of a big deal. Ergo.

Last edited:

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace

Also, Metroid does well enough, but it's not as big a deal as people make it out to be.

It is definitely a bigger deal than Kid Icarus, Xenoblade or Fire Emblem

D

Deleted member

Oh I do know, I already said I love Rosalina, Villager and Mario, but they're not Ridley...
I share the same feelings, I only ask you be a little more subtle and calm about it.:)
Everything gets negative feedback on youtube comments.:laugh:

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
The roster seems really choppy. The selection from just looking at the individual characters is pretty typical Sakurai, we'll never learn when we over extend our desire for our own dream rosters, but when you look at the roster as a whole, it's extreme asymmetrical and inconsistent. Mario has too many reps and newer reps than some other franchises. Now, I know Mario is big or whatever and I agree, but there is a point where its too much and it just feels the roster needs more variety no matter how important a series is. The popularity of a series is important but there are other factors that need to be considered, such as this one.

The other thing is the whole Alph and Koopalings scenario, who aren't "characters" but characters like Dark Pit and Mario in a white coat are . I'm not complaining about slots or "who go in" but everything seems arbitrary on how you change a costume to select one character and choose a mugshot of another to do the same thing. The costume thing wouldn't be a big deal if their name and voices didn't change, but they might just be full blown characters at this point, and that's very good, if not for the inconsistency.

I'd say this roster is on par with Brawl's, (FE bias, without it, Brawl's beats this one by miles) soo something like 6/10. Honestly though, nobody who's been following this game for months can have a clear opinion on this matter right now, there's too much anticipation and expectations that cloud our judgment.

RazorsawTF

Smash Cadet
It is definitely a bigger deal than Kid Icarus, Xenoblade or Fire Emblem
Fire Emblem has a lot more sequels, reached a LOT of success with its new release, and its overall future isn't currently in doubt. Xenoblade is a relatively new franchise and has one representative.

Not really comparable.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I share the same feelings, I only ask you be a little more subtle and calm about it.:)
Everything gets negative feedback on youtube comments.:laugh:
Being subtle and calm doesn't cut it here, detractors are going back and forth saying 'the game's still good, you've got plenty of other characters'...like I said, I either get 100% of what I want, or I don't want it at all. There's no grey areas with a Smash Roster, there's no 8/10 or 9/10, there's 10/10 or NotRidley/10. And the negative feedback should be overwhelming, Sakurai should learn that his actions, or the lack of them, have consequences. Why the hell should I be happy about 4 out of my 5 most-wanted newcomers were confirmed when the most important one didn't make it, it's like being an Olympic Athlete, getting a bunch of Bronze and Silver medals but never getting the gold, and then expecting that Athlete to actually be happy.

Ridley's the biggest deal of deals.

Last edited:

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
I voted no. The cuts hurt this time. At least with melee to brawl, mewtwo was the only one that hurt. (I mained roy and I wasn't sad about it like I am now). Plus it sounded like mewtwo was planned to come back for brawl, and even sounded like he'd be back this time...

The newcomers aren't bad, I mean... I'd ditch the miis for the vets.
Just feels like they led with hype with megaman, and didn't deliver with another big popular character.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Being subtle and calm doesn't cut it here, detractors are going back and forth saying 'the game's still good, you've got plenty of other characters'...like I said, I either get 100% of what I want, or I don't want it at all. There's no grey areas with a Smash Roster, there's no 8/10 or 9/10, there's 10/10 or NotRidley/10. And the negative feedback should be overwhelming, Sakurai should learn that his actions, or the lack of them, have consequences.
So... it's "my dream roster or bust" and Sakurai should be punished for not adding Ridley?

Wow. I didn't know such pettiness existed over a video game.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman

Lol but most people probably don't know about the game coming out a day early unless they are on smash boards that's why I said it but even though it does well metroid deserves another rep especially over kid larcus, this game is for all stars not promotion

D

Deleted member

Being subtle and calm doesn't cut it here, detractors are going back and forth saying 'the game's still good, you've got plenty of other characters'...like I said, I either get 100% of what I want, or I don't want it at all. There's no grey areas with a Smash Roster, there's no 8/10 or 9/10, there's 10/10 or NotRidley/10. And the negative feedback should be overwhelming, Sakurai should learn that his actions, or the lack of them, have consequences.
Okay, I understand. Looking at it the conversion now, it's hard to go back to being subtle and calm now.(Especially how people are choosing to respond to you.)It's also understandable to be mad, especially because sakurai seems to have known about his popularity for years, but you already know all of this info.

So... it's "my dream roster or bust" and Sakurai should be punished for not adding Ridley?

*Shrugs shoulders* His opinion. I may not agree with the punishing sakurai part, that's a little too harsh, but I see where he's coming from. He wants what he wants, not much we could do about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
I like the roster I give it a 8/10, I feel people are a little bias about the roster just because your dream roster didn't come true does not mean the roster is bad.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622

As I explained, why would I settle for a part of my dream roster, if I'm getting my dream roster, I want my whole dream roster. And no pettiness, absolute JUSTICE, he won't be even be able to take a single glance at the Internet without seeing 1000+ comments that'll make him regret the choices he thinks were good, but really weren't. He should know that it doesn't matter how hard he works, his efforts will be worthless as long as he doesn't add Ridley.

There's gotta be some way of knocking some sense into Sakurai, even if it's not the most dignified way (Hatemail).
I like the roster I give it a 8/10, I feel people are a little bias about the roster just because your dream roster didn't come true does not mean the roster is bad.
Uh, Dark Pit and Dr. Mario are objectively terrible choices that undermine whatever good points the roster might have, not to mention the lack of the most-requested fan favorites by a long shot, towering over the likes of Shulk, Little Mac and Palutena's request-number.

I mean, does anyone really think this is fair? Does anyone really think that leading on a fanbase for one whole year, constantly teasing them and keeping everything ambiguous, and then crushing their dreams with a flick of the wrist...does anyone think that's fair? Yeah, Ridley didn't get into the game, but he might've as well deconfirmed Ridley at the start, and don't come at me with your 'He was deconfirmed earlier' bull**** because those were all ambiguous, and Sakurai knew what it meant to keep Ridley ambiguous, he knew what it meant to lead us on and tease us, he toyed with our expectations and absolutely destroyed any excitement Ridley fans had for the roster. I really don't think that's fair, he knew how we would feel, he knew what he would cause by being ambiguous, and yet he still chose to do it without caring about the fanbase's feelings.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'll give it an 8/10 too. One point taken off because of the clones and the disappointing unclockables.(Again, I don't think Bowser Jr and DHD were bad choices.) The other is because the lack of newcomers that I'm hyped for.(DLC could totally change this.)

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Definitely agree with those who say the roster feels choppy/messy/etc. You've got characters who should be costumes getting their own slots, characters that should get their own slots as costumes, a bunch of questionable clone choices and veterans of questionable priority (Falco over Wolf, Jigglypuff and solo Charizard over Mewtwo), characters who are so obviously "retro" it hurts, characters who are so obviously flavor of the month that you know they'll be axed in the next game anyway, etc. The former two points especially, coupled with the unnecessary layout of the character select screen, make the game seem almost unprofessional, in a way. That's the best way I can describe it. It's like looking at a fan-made costume pack on Brawl. You've got completely different characters filling in for other characters' color swaps, and then you've got what are essentially other characters' color swaps with their own character select icons. If someone had showed me the character select screen and the alternate colors, having no prior knowledge of the game, I would think they were showing me their personal modded build.

I will say that because it retains most essentials and adds a few much-needed inclusions (Little Mac, Mega Man, etc), that Smash 4 does have the best roster. As a personal opinion, though, it has the worst newcomers overall.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
There's gotta be some way of knocking some sense into Sakurai, even if it's not the most dignified way (Hatemail).
Dude, Hate mail is not going to help your case ANY. All it will do is make you look more immature. Layton didn't get in but do you see me sending Sakurai hate mail?

Also, I give this roster a 10/10. I'm one of those people that loves everything.

Last edited:

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Definitely agree with those who say the roster feels choppy/messy/etc. You've got characters who should be costumes getting their own slots, characters that should get their own slots as costumes, a bunch of questionable clone choices and veterans of questionable priority (Falco over Wolf, Jigglypuff and solo Charizard over Mewtwo), characters who are so obviously "retro" it hurts, characters who are so obviously flavor of the month that you know they'll be axed in the next game anyway, etc. The former two points especially, coupled with the unnecessary layout of the character select screen, make the game seem almost unprofessional, in a way. That's the best way I can describe it. It's like looking at a fan-made costume pack on Brawl. You've got completely different characters filling in for other characters' color swaps, and then you've got what are essentially other characters' color swaps with their own character select icons. If someone had showed me the character select screen and the alternate colors, having no prior knowledge of the game, I would think they were showing me their personal modded build.

I will say that because it retains most essentials and adds a few much-needed inclusions (Little Mac, Mega Man, etc), that Smash 4 does have the best roster. As a personal opinion, though, it has the worst newcomers overall.
I think the only flavor of the month Newcomer would have to be Greninja, all of the others have really earned their place, or well, they would deserve their place if they were alongside Ridley. I do agree that Dr. Mario and Dark Pit being characters while Alph, an actually-different characters gets the costume treatment is absolutely ridiculous and stupid.
Dude, Hate mail is not going to help your case ANY. All it will do is make you look more immature. Layton didn't get in but do you see me sending Sakurai hate mail?

Also, I give this roster a 10/10. I'm one of those people that loves everything.
After missing an amazing opportunity with Ridley, I won't be surprised if Sakurai never considers Layton for Smash, he seems to hate smart, well-requested, memorable characters, or who knows, maybe he'll add Layton because he has a thing for characters that changes clothes constantly, I bet we would have Layton and hatless Layton as different characters, as Sakurai seems to think different clothes are worthy of another slot.

Last edited:

Captain Soviet

Smash Apprentice
It's weird. Mega Man was my most wanted since I saw 3rd Parties in Brawl. Missed that boat, then all of a sudden there he is. In Smash 4. In the most awesome trailer ever. That trailer made smash hype real more than the reveal of Smash 4 for me. And yet, the gaps and mistakes are so damn glaring that I can't call it the best roster ever. Why no Mewtwo? Why no Ridley? Whats' the point of having character polls if you're just going to ignore half the choices? Why ask your fanbase questions if they're not the ones you're interested in pleasing?

I tell you what, except for maybe Ice Climbers being gone, Sakurai sure thinks this is the best roster/game. And why not? The Gameboy stage is all about Kirby, Kid Icarus gets a whopping one character per game (and let me stop before anyone starts, NO ONE is going to convince me that a 3 game series needs 3 characters in Smash). Sakurai understands that a lot of Smash Bros is fanservice (not that kind, ya perv!), but he seems to think that he should be the one being served, not the audience. Who was crying out for Dark Pit? Who even considered Recolor Pit before Paluenta's trailer? I didn't see him topping any most wanted character polls. And as far as the development time excuse, that poor Sora LTD didn't have the time to fill the roster with such tiny, inconsequential details as both the East's and West's top most wanted...wasn't that what Namco was there for? To help speed along development and effectively earn more time to help make the roster the best it could be? That's not what happened.

I'm still hyped for Smash, but much less so than I was before Deconfirmation Day, and much less than I should be so close to release. I also think much less of Sakurai and Nintendo (to quote myself time and time again in the Ridley thread: "Why bluntly deconfirm Waluigi, Takumario, Prince Sable, and so many others and then refuse to do so for Ridley?).

Tl'dr: Despite getting my single most wanted character, and my Brawl Main still in this game, Sakurai has snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, this is not the best roster. 6/10, see me after class.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
As I explained, why would I settle for a part of my dream roster, if I'm getting my dream roster, I want my whole dream roster. And no pettiness, absolute JUSTICE, he won't be even be able to take a single glance at the Internet without seeing 1000+ comments that'll make him regret the choices he thinks were good, but really weren't. He should know that it doesn't matter how hard he works, his efforts will be worthless as long as he doesn't add Ridley.

Uh, Dark Pit and Dr. Mario are objectively terrible choices that undermine whatever good points the roster might have, not to mention the lack of the most-requested fan favorites by a long shot, towering over the likes of Shulk, Little Mac and Palutena's request-number.
This is some rather flawed logic.

So, the idea here is that, because your ideal roster was wrong, you're mad at Sakurai. It doesn't matter if there's characters others have been hoping for, wishing for, even though they know they likely have no chance compared to the big leagues... (Duck Hunt, Lucina, Dr. Mario) and have been ridiculed for their inclusion? But, of course, no Ridley, K. Rool or Mewtwo means that the roster sucks.

I can understand the hate for the 3 clones, even though they've got their own fanbases. However, you're acting spoiled. You're acting like a child and declaring the game is the worst solely because a character isn't in. Do you see me raging over the fact that the majority of my favorite characters (Geno, Masked Man, Waddle Dee, Sukapon, Toad) aren't in? That my Brawl co-mains Snake and Lucas are gone?

Finally, don't you think it's a bit immature to be spamming a game dev in Japan about how stupid and wrong he is over ONE FREAKING character? I'm reminded of all those stories circling around Lyn in Brawl. Don't go and tell me I'm no fan, I'm a huge Ridley fan. An even bigger K. Rool fan. However, when it comes down to it, you have to look at your life and realize it's come to a point where you're lashing out at a man on the other side of the world because he didn't include a purple space dragon in a video game. I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, but seriously. It's a freaking game. Accept it. You don't have to play it, but cyberbullying a 43-year-old man won't get you your way. If you took, I don't know, a more friendly and non-psychotic approach...

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
or who knows, maybe he'll add Layton because he has a thing for characters that changes clothes constantly, I bet we would have Layton and hatless Layton as different characters, as Sakurai seems to think different clothes are worthy of another slot.
I'm sorry I didn't understand that at all. Changes clothes constantly? He wears the same coat and hat every game. I don't know where your argument is going anymore

also I wont be shocked if he wasn't added either but the developer did tell sakurai during an interview how it would be interesting to see how Layton is in Smash.... thats more proof then Ridley at least but off that topic.

EDIT: My bad it was the discussion moderator during the interview that said that he should be n the next smash.

Last edited:

ShyKChan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shyflutters18
3DS FC
0662-3508-3411
I'll join in with the rating. The best numbers I can think of are either a 7/10 or an 8/10. The clones are what bother me the most (except Lucina, she's growing on me). I'm starting to tolerate DHD, I had such a petty hate for the dog during the leak haha. Bowser Jr. I'm okay with, although he was a bit unexpected. Jr. throws off the series balance, but that's probably the only thing I don't like about him. I feel like this roster needed just one crazy, hype-generating character at the end to make it feel more worthwhile. The cuts hit fairly hard too, so yeah. That's why I think the roster is lackluster.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045

I mean, does anyone really think this is fair? Does anyone really think that leading on a fanbase for one whole year, constantly teasing them and keeping everything ambiguous, and then crushing their dreams with a flick of the wrist...does anyone think that's fair? Yeah, Ridley didn't get into the game, but he might've as well deconfirmed Ridley at the start, and don't come at me with your 'He was deconfirmed earlier' bull**** because those were all ambiguous, and Sakurai knew what it meant to keep Ridley ambiguous, he knew what it meant to lead us on and tease us, he toyed with our expectations and absolutely destroyed any excitement Ridley fans had for the roster. I really don't think that's fair, he knew how we would feel, he knew what he would cause by being ambiguous, and yet he still chose to do it without caring about the fanbase's feelings.
I understand that you'er mad, Ridley was decomfirmed earlier you guy just keep hyping yourself up sakurai show so many time that he was a stage boss but you guys didn't believe it so guys are mad over you own hype, stop crying over a character that you drum up in your own mind to be playable. Smash is not a popularity contest get over it.

CoolEric258

Smash Cadet
Heck yes! There are so many new series represented, and new characters all bring new ideas to the table that make all of them look fun. It easily tops Melee and maybe even Brawl, and that is a hard feat.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
This is some rather flawed logic.

So, the idea here is that, because your ideal roster was wrong, you're mad at Sakurai. It doesn't matter if there's characters others have been hoping for, wishing for, even though they know they likely have no chance compared to the big leagues... (Duck Hunt, Lucina, Dr. Mario) and have been ridiculed for their inclusion? But, of course, no Ridley, K. Rool or Mewtwo means that the roster sucks.

I can understand the hate for the 3 clones, even though they've got their own fanbases. However, you're acting spoiled. You're acting like a child and declaring the game is the worst solely because a character isn't in. Do you see me raging over the fact that the majority of my favorite characters (Geno, Masked Man, Waddle Dee, Sukapon, Toad) aren't in? That my Brawl co-mains Snake and Lucas are gone?

Finally, don't you think it's a bit immature to be spamming a game dev in Japan about how stupid and wrong he is over ONE FREAKING character? I'm reminded of all those stories circling around Lyn in Brawl. Don't go and tell me I'm no fan, I'm a huge Ridley fan. An even bigger K. Rool fan. However, when it comes down to it, you have to look at your life and realize it's come to a point where you're lashing out at a man on the other side of the world because he didn't include a purple space dragon in a video game. I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, but seriously. It's a freaking game. Accept it. You don't have to play it, but cyberbullying a 43-year-old man won't get you your way. If you took, I don't know, a more friendly and non-psychotic approach...
Why should I try to be friendly towards a man that has done nothing but bad things to a franchise I love with this roster? And not to undermine your characters wants, but none of those characters are as requested, relevant and overall deserving as Ridley. And I couldn't care less about the smaller fanbases of these characters, the polls should come first, then he can listen to minorities.

So I can't be angry at Sakurai at all!? I have to love everything he did and I have to think not adding Ridley was the right choice because it's a game? I think caring so little would harm me as a Smash Bros. fan. This game's supposed to celebrate the biggest Nintendo names, and Sakurai's basically telling me and the rest of the world that he considers Dr. Mario, a crappy labcoat version of Mario from a spinoff barely anyone played and remembers, a bigger shot than the main villain of the Metroid series, how can I NOT BE ANGRY ABOUT THAT!?

Also, I guess that since Smash sparks up childlike wonder usually, it can also spark up childlike rage under extreme situations like this.

I'm sorry I didn't understand that at all. Changes clothes constantly? He wears the same coat and hat every game. I don't know where your argument is going anymore

also I wont be shocked if he wasn't added either but the developer did tell sakurai during an interview how it would be interesting to see how Layton is in Smash.... thats more proof then Ridley at least but off that topic.
I was primarily making fun (Although fun's not the right word here, more like intense, blazing hatred) of Sakurai's apparent obsession with grabbing an outfit a character has wore in like 5% of their appearances and making it a new character, that's why under Sakurai's command, we could have Layton, Young Layton, College Layton, they have different clothes, so they must be different characters, right!?
I understand that you'er mad, Ridley was decomfirmed earlier you guy just keep hyping yourself up sakurai show so many time that he was a stage boss but you guys didn't believe it so guys are mad over you own hype, stop crying over a character that you drum up in your own mind to be playable. Smash is not a popularity contest get over it.
We just didn't want to believe a game developer could be really thick and stubborn enough to outright IGNORE such a huge part of the fanbase, Sakurai showed many times that Ridley was on the game somehow but he never gave a confirmation of anything, and that's part of the reason we're angry, he should've just deconfirmed Ridley, but he didn't, he kept it going. Save your horrible detractor speeches for Smash5 speculation, please.

Last edited:

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Answer: Unabashedly yes. This is the single best roster in Smash, and you all know it. If you were to come to me for the first time with this roster, I would **** all over. Sonic, Megaman, Mario, Pacman, the rest is history.

The issue I see, and why a lot of people think its a disappointent, isn't so much the roster as a whole, but rather how comparatively unhype the last revealed characters were. We went an incredible year, reveals after reveals, so many amazing trailers, such as the Megaman, Little Mac, and Greninja, etc reveals, then the leak happened, and people were frowning upon some of the decisions on the roster. We had veterans who were either expected to come back (Wario, Ness, etc) to very disappointing returns (Ganon's moveset crisis, Rob, etc). But what did rub salt in the wound was the inclusion of Dark Pit and the return of Dr Mario, who are easily the most irrelevant inclusions in the roster, especially Dark Pit. Yes, clones don't take up much development time, as they are easy inclusions, but I say forget adding pointless characters to fill the roster, variety the spice of life.

That said, great roster, underwhelming final stretch.

RazorsawTF

Smash Cadet
This game's supposed to celebrate the biggest Nintendo names, and Sakurai's basically telling me and the rest of the world that he considers Dr. Mario, a crappy labcoat version of Mario from a spinoff barely anyone played and remembers, a bigger shot than the main villain of the Metroid series, how can I NOT BE ANGRY ABOUT THAT!?
Dr. Mario.

A crappy spinoff that barely anyone played or remembered.

You are saying Dr. Mario is a crappy spin off that barely anyone played or remembers.

Dr. Mario.

Also.

a bigger shot than the main villain of the Metroid series
Mother Brain?

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
Why should I try to be friendly towards a man that has done nothing but bad things to a franchise I love with this roster? And not to undermine your characters wants, but none of those characters are as requested, relevant and overall deserving as Ridley. And I couldn't care less about the smaller fanbases of these characters, the polls should come first, then he can listen to minorities.

So I can't be angry at Sakurai at all!? I have to love everything he did and I have to think not adding Ridley was the right choice because it's a game? I think caring so little would harm me as a Smash Bros. fan. This game's supposed to celebrate the biggest Nintendo names, and Sakurai's basically telling me and the rest of the world that he considers Dr. Mario, a crappy labcoat version of Mario from a spinoff barely anyone played and remembers, a bigger shot than the main villain of the Metroid series, how can I NOT BE ANGRY ABOUT THAT!?

Also, I guess that since Smash sparks up childlike wonder usually, it can also spark up childlike rage under extreme situations like this.

I was primarily making fun (Although fun's not the right word here, more like intense, blazing hatred) of Sakurai's apparent obsession with grabbing an outfit a character has wore in like 5% of their appearances and making it a new character, that's why under Sakurai's command, we could have Layton, Young Layton, College Layton, they have different clothes, so they must be different characters, right!?

We just didn't want to believe a game developer could be really thick and stubborn enough to outright IGNORE such a huge part of the fanbase, Sakurai showed many times that Ridley was on the game somehow but he never gave a confirmation of anything, and that's part of the reason we're angry, he should've just deconfirmed Ridley, but he didn't, he kept it going. Save your horrible detractor speeches for Smash5 speculation, please.
You said you wanted "all or nothing" right? Have it your way, then. Don't buy Sm4sh, don't play Sm4sh, don't even talk about Sm4sh. Leave it in the dust and move on with your life, the community as a whole will be better off without your negativity.

Or just quit crying and play the game (which you'll inevitably do anyway). No one said you had to love Sakurai or his choices.

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
Answer: Unabashedly yes. This is the single best roster in Smash, and you all know it. If you were to come to me for the first time with this roster, I would **** all over. Sonic, Megaman, Mario, Pacman, the rest is history.

The issue I see, and why a lot of people think its a disappointent, isn't so much the roster as a whole, but rather how comparatively unhype the last revealed characters were. We went an incredible year, reveals after reveals, so many amazing trailers, such as the Megaman, Little Mac, and Greninja, etc reveals, then the leak happened, and people were frowning upon some of the decisions on the roster. We had veterans who were either expected to come back (Wario, Ness, etc) to very disappointing returns (Ganon's moveset crisis, Rob, etc). But what did rub salt in the wound was the inclusion of Dark Pit and the return of Dr Mario, who are easily the most irrelevant inclusions in the roster, especially Dark Pit. Yes, clones don't take up much development time, as they are easy inclusions, but I say forget adding pointless characters to fill the roster, variety the spice of life.

Pretty much this. It was a great start with a bit of a "meh" finish. A great roster overall, it's just that the leak absolutely killed hype whether we knew it or not.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Dr. Mario.

A crappy spinoff that barely anyone played or remembered.

You are saying Dr. Mario is a crappy spin off that barely anyone played or remembers.
Dr. Mario.

Also.

Mother Brain?
Dr. Mario's a crappy spin off that barely anyone played or remembers, rather than having an actual spin-off version of Mario that people care about (Paper Mario) we get this crapload of medical roster disgrace.

Also, does...killed Samus' parents, made Samus who she is, appears on every Metroid game except for 2 and Echoes...and overall being Samus' nemesis ring a bell?
You said you wanted "all or nothing" right? Have it your way, then. Don't buy Sm4sh, don't play Sm4sh, don't even talk about Sm4sh. Leave it in the dust and move on with your life, the community as a whole will be better off without your negativity.

Or just quit crying and play the game (which you'll inevitably do anyway). No one said you had to love Sakurai or his choices.
Quit crying? I'm stating facts that make me furious, Ridley should've been on this game, that's a fact, and the fact that he's not on this game IS A COMPLETE DISGRACE TO BOTH THE SMASH SERIES AND THE METROID SERIES. I will be with this community all the way through until Smash5, when I can speculate and Sakurai will hopefully have gotten some sense knocked into him to get over his own ego and add the most-requested characters.

Last edited:

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211

Ah yes, the polls. Because EVERYONE knows Skull Kid got into Brawl. If not for the polls, we would've never gotten such choices as R.O.B., Greninja, Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt Dog, Ness, and, of course, the most requested characters for Melee, the Fire Emblem boys.

Look, I'm not saying "Appreciate Sakurai, you ****stain". Far from that. I'm saying you're attacking a man over a character in a game. It's not "You must love Sakurai, he does every thing right", it's "You mustn't be sending death threats to Sakurai because he didn't choose a character". Also, do remember that Doc, Lucina and Dark Pit were last-minute additions. They were (supposedly) alternate costumes that got upgraded for a bigger roster. And yet, there's still a semi-reliable "rumor" going around with some Wii U on-disc characters that'll be released for 3DS DLC around SSBU's launch including Ridley.

I'm done, you can continue on hating. I certainly won't care, I got characters who are fun to play as.

RazorsawTF

Smash Cadet
Are you kidding me?

Dr. Mario has had multiple spin offs and a variation in every generation of gaming. It's considered one of the greatest puzzle games of all time. It's his third most popular spin off title short of Mario Kart and Mario Party. Paper Mario is successful but not nearly as much so as Dr. Mario.

Also, does...killed Samus' parents, made Samus who she is, appears on every Metroid game except for 2 and Echoes...and overall being Samus' nemesis ring a bell?
he's by far the most recurring villain, but he's not the main villain. He's answered to multiple characters over his tenure. Dark Samus and Mother Brain have both commanded him.

I'm not selling Ridley short, but you need to be aware of his actual position in things.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Best roster it could be? No. Best roster of the series? Yes.

ShyKChan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shyflutters18
3DS FC
0662-3508-3411
This exactly. We're all just messed up in the brain right now because of the lackluster ending. If you first told me that Megaman and Pacman were newcomers in this Smash, I'd tell you "No way! That's crazy!". I kind of wish that I could go back to being a kid again, so I wouldn't look up everything about Smash and be genuinely hyped and surprised at all of the newcomers.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045

Still you knew there was a chance that he was not going to be playable you guys took that chance and lost, you guys jump the gun. And you calling me a detractor for believing in what I saw, get over yourself you act like everyone wanted Ridley in smash he was only popular in the west and not everyone in the west wanted him.

D

Deleted member

Ah yes, the polls. Because EVERYONE knows Skull Kid got into Brawl. If not for the polls, we would've never gotten such choices as R.O.B., Greninja, Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt Dog, Ness, and, of course, the most requested characters for Melee, the Fire Emblem boys.
Yep, not like popular characters ever got into smash. *Cough*Pacman, Palutena, Little mac, Megaman, Bowser jr., sonic, and Duck hunt dog*Cough*
get over yourself you act like everyone wanted Ridley in smash he was only popular in the west and not everyone in the west wanted him.
Little mac also was only popular in the west. Your point?

Anyway, maybe I would be happier with the roster if some characters went unrevealed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom