• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Roster?

Does Smash 4 have the best smash roster?

• Total voters

TKraix

Smash Rookie
Guys did you forget this? http://i.imgur.com/ERZBZqB.jpg
Everything in this leak was right so the four missing characters might be waiting in the Wii U version. When Sakurai had the chance to talk about the Wii U to 3DS feature, he avoided it. Until know we don't know what this feature really does. Yeah Sakurai said that there will be the same characters in both versions. But i think this feature allows you to transfer "missing" fighters to 3DS version or from the 3DS to the Wii U version. As we all know the Wii U's sales aren't that great and a new Smash Bros title could change this very well. But if you think about it.. a Smash Bros game without the most popular requests in it, like Mewtwo or Ridley, could ruin this (at least a few people won't buy the game because of this reason). I really doubt that this is the final roster for BOTH versions FOR NOW.
And also... a lot of people are saying that Sakurai is an idiot because there's no Ridley, Mewtwo, K.Rool etc.. but you never know what Sakurai is still hiding in his mind. He loves to surprise us so there could very likely be more...
...and do your really think that the all loved ROB is the last character?!? That would be a bit strange in my eyes...

Calibrate

Smash Apprentice
How the HELL can any roster without Mewtwo be the best roster?

WHAT IS THIS

Hyperthrough

Smash Rookie
How the HELL can any roster without Mewtwo be the best roster?

WHAT IS THIS
To me, I think the Pokémon franchise have too many generation 1 to represent so I'm kind of happy Mewtwo is not here, but won't mind it being in it.

Kind of bummed on some of the cuts but most of the newcomers make up for it.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
This roster has the best trio of third parties.

This roster has the best retro newcomer; known the world over and represents a nice piece of hardware.

This roster includes the majority of Brawl's best characters, and adds to it. It's a shame for the cuts, but it happens. Least Doc proves you CAN return.

This roster has a create a fighter option.

This roster has alt skins for Bowser Jr and Olimar giving another 8 characters overall with many colour palettes done to accurately represent characters who didn't make the grade.

Whilst a few more big names wouldn't of gone amiss, it's far from the worst roster ever. Even managed to make me like a character I had previously hated in Bowser Jr. and that's no easy feat!

8.8/10. Needs more Captain Toad and Dixie Kong. Next time; next time.

D

Deleted member

Yes, I consider Ridley to be objectively the most relevant Newcomer of them all. I think you can look at the page number on the Ridley thread (Closed because some people were actually calling Sakurai out on his bull among all the 'oh well the game will still be good' apologists) to prove this point.
Objective relevance of a singular character has nothing to do with the overall quality of the game. Megaman not being in UMVC3 did not diminish the enjoyment of the game to the point that everyone hated it just because of one character. Most people criticized it, yes, but they still bought it and enjoyed it.

I wanted Ridley in too, but I do not claim it to be a fact that he should get in. Smash doesn't need any specific characters, fan-requested or not. It needs a roster with good qualities, and that is ultimatively subjective. There is no fact that will indicate if a roster is good or bad. I could hate on the roster because Shulk, who has no relevance to my personal interests, got in before Magolor from the Kirby franchise. And was Magolor relevant and could he work? Who knows?

What you need to realize is that the lack of Ridley isn't objectively wrong, but you can always advocate that he would please a lot of fans. But if you only want Super Ridley Bros instead of a roster with variety, then you're at a disadvantage at the end of the day. Ridley's chances were slim from the get-go, and honestly, I can only see him being truly relevant once Metroid becomes one of Nintendo's more dedicated franchises.

As it is, we're hardly getting any Metroid games, and the lack of Metroid representation is a good indication of that. It may change for the better soon, but it would be too late for it to have any relevance to the final roster.

So basically, those of us who believed the hype that went along with the Ridley thread couldn't prove our assertions, because we didn't want to listen to Sakurai's hints. We built it up to the extend that we believed he would be real, and it was ultimately a disappointment.

But I'm willing to not fret over one single character. Even those who were my most wanted. The roster is still varied and creative, so I will still get the game. You yourself might want to decide if you want the game or not, and if not, I'd recommend that you play the games that are meant to be Ridley-dedicated. Replaying Prime 1 and 3 is not a bad way to soften the hit after all. There is no character which is objectively superior to others. There are popular characters, and characters done for the sake of nostalgia/surprise factors. Ridley was one of the popular characters that there simply was no room for during the development time.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
Wolf did not need to be cut and neither did the ice climbers. Lucas was a good character it's just the mother Brian is not near as popular as it used to be and for the other 3 I really did not see them coming back.
Now it is the best roster just cause the variety of characters. But it is also not due to highly unpopular characters that made it in. If you add dark out it in why not add dark link? He's more popular and what palette swaps does dark out even have.
Also dr mario is not more popular than paper mario most didn't even know him until melee. I'm saying they both need to be alt costumes and time should not have been a problem.
The problem is now that we have more fire emblem and kid larcus characters, who nobody would no about if not for smash, and 2 DK, 2 star fox, and 1 1/2 metroid. It's a game for all stars not promotion

4theRECORD

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2878-9708-8635
I have reaaaaallly mixed feeling of this.
For the most part, I am satisfied with the newcomers. Little Mac,Villager and Shulk were Nintendo stars that fit their rep status perfectly. Duck Hunt is at first glance the stupidist:though after some thought you realise it's the best possible representation of a new Retro. Rosalina, Greninja, Palutena, and my girl Robin are great aditions to co-existing franchises. And as for the two third parties, well, they're legends, everyone knows them. They deserve a place in the roster. All fine over here.

Then we move to the remainders. Fit Trainer, back then I thought you were cool but now...looking at the current roster, I can't help but feel there was a better addition. Bowser Jr, as much as I liked you in Sunshine and post games, Rosalina already fits the bill for a Mario newcomer. It's not like in Brawl when Kirby was under-represented. Dr Mario, I don't hate you that much as you're a cheap clone. However, I would've liked it if you were the only remaining Mario rep, I can't stand both you and Jr. I do hope you're cut in the next game. As for Miis, I despise them with all my heart. There could've easily been some cut veterans in their place if they weren't made, and I have to keep dealing with them forever, because...well, Miis aren't characters you could cut, are they?

And the veteran cuts. I can undestand IC(technical limitations are understandable, but I think Sakurai should've just made this thing WiiU exclusive),the two Pokes(seven would be too much, and I can't see only one of them joining), and Snake(I don't hate Snake himself, just his creator's personality) being cut. However, Wolf and Lucas? Seriously? Those two were the least cloniest in Brawl. Wolf was definately more interesting than Falco, and Lucas, while not as original(still very original tho) fit the spot for the second Mother rep. And seeing as we probably won't have another Mother game, this is quite the blow to Mother fans.

And let's not even start on the ones that didn't even make the list. Issac, Ray, DK rep, Metroid rep, Mewtwo, Black Shadow, Alph(why not him instead of Dark Pit seriously) and more. While I wasn't expecting Lip, I hoped for at least two or three of the above to get confirmed. At least I can think "Oh, I lost to Ridley/Mewtwo/Dixie. Well, at least it's understandable..." if that was the case. But nooooo, Sakurai had to put Boswer Jr, of all possible characters to put in Smash. I know it's Nintendo's most profitable franchise, but seriously, wouldn't it have been better to try to spark some light-user interest in other franchises? The light-user only knows Mario,Luigi,Peach,and Bowser, with Rosalina and Doc as extras to the hardcore. That should've been the Mario reps of this generation. I mean...isn't this game supposed to be "Nintendo All-Star"? Why in the world...?

...That being said, I still think this is an amazing game with a great roster. I already pre-ordered the thing and I should be able to download it in a few hours. I know I will play months, possibly years out of this game with Robin, Mega Man, Villager, Shulk and so many more.
However, I'm not too keen anymore to buy the WiiU version. And I am not sure if we will be able to stir as much hype for the next Smash, six years later.

This was v, signing out.
The above will be my personal feeling if there isn't any DLC/update characters. If there are(which I am pretty sure of), and it manages to suprise me with good characters, then I will withdraw whatever I said and bow my head to Sakurai. If it happens, anyway.

lurxy

Smash Cadet
NNID
lurxylux
Switch FC
SW 7645 5399 8874
For me the roster is a 4/10. Sure, all newcomers are great and look really cool, especially Little Mac, Robin, Duck Hunt and the 3rds. But why put three clones in there just to trick the player into believing there are more than 50 characters. Sure, Dark Pit, Dr. Mario and Lucina are cool extras, but they don't make sense to me. Why is Alph not a clone? I mean, the other clones sure were alternate costumes some time in development, why not Alph? That does not make sense to me. Not that I would want a seperate Alph, but this whole clone thing is stupid in my opinion.

I really love the real newcomers though. Everyone has something that makes them special. We finally got a character who can heal himself in Robin, we have a character with a power bar that fills itself up slowly with Little Mac, we have four of the most iconic video game characters in one game, we have a stance User in Shulk etc. I really love that, but when you look beyond that, what is left?

We do not have only seven (SEVEN!) Mario characters, no we have 14 to be exact. We have 14 characters which took time in development and seven of them are just skins. This is a cool extra, but it puts the balance of the roster into chaos. We have 14 Mario characters, but only five pokemon? Only two Star Fox, Donkey Kong and Metroid characters? What about their fans? Well I think it's all okay, as long we can play everyone of those stupid Koopalings.

Don't get me wrong, i appreciate those little extra costumes, but what makes me salty is that the only extra costumes we got were Koopalings and Alph. And I'm pretty sure that Alph was Miyamoto's idea, just to have anything from Pikmin 3 in Smash. There is no Funky Kong, no Divie Kong, no other Suit from Metroid than the Varia Suit in different colors, no James McCloud skin etc. Even Lucas could have been a Ness alt easily but no. Well as long we have some fan service with those ZSS costumes, right? This is the definition of inbalance for me and that is what really bothers me.

I know I will play Smash Bros 4 like crazy but this are things that have to been said at least once. Not everything about this games is perfect.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Looks like a lot of people love fashion around here, you know, six characters on the roster basically being the same person with different clothes.

Far from it, I won't let go of this until Smash5.

Uh, yes it does? I LOVED the roster until Ridley was deconfirmed, plenty of fighters that are both modern and memorable, but no Ridley, no deal.
Aw c'mon, no need to be like that. Why can't people like the roster? What's wrong with you?

MagnesD3

Smash Master
For me the roster is a 4/10. Sure, all newcomers are great and look really cool, especially Little Mac, Robin, Duck Hunt and the 3rds. But why put three clones in there just to trick the player into believing there are more than 50 characters. Sure, Dark Pit, Dr. Mario and Lucina are cool extras, but they don't make sense to me. Why is Alph not a clone? I mean, the other clones sure were alternate costumes some time in development, why not Alph? That does not make sense to me. Not that I would want a seperate Alph, but this whole clone thing is stupid in my opinion.

I really love the real newcomers though. Everyone has something that makes them special. We finally got a character who can heal himself in Robin, we have a character with a power bar that fills itself up slowly with Little Mac, we have four of the most iconic video game characters in one game, we have a stance User in Shulk etc. I really love that, but when you look beyond that, what is left?

We do not have only seven (SEVEN!) Mario characters, no we have 14 to be exact. We have 14 characters which took time in development and seven of them are just skins. This is a cool extra, but it puts the balance of the roster into chaos. We have 14 Mario characters, but only five pokemon? Only two Star Fox, Donkey Kong and Metroid characters? What about their fans? Well I think it's all okay, as long we can play everyone of those stupid Koopalings.

Don't get me wrong, i appreciate those little extra costumes, but what makes me salty is that the only extra costumes we got were Koopalings and Alph. And I'm pretty sure that Alph was Miyamoto's idea, just to have anything from Pikmin 3 in Smash. There is no Funky Kong, no Divie Kong, no other Suit from Metroid than the Varia Suit in different colors, no James McCloud skin etc. Even Lucas could have been a Ness alt easily but no. Well as long we have some fan service with those ZSS costumes, right? This is the definition of inbalance for me and that is what really bothers me.

I know I will play Smash Bros 4 like crazy but this are things that have to been said at least once. Not everything about this games is perfect.
I didnt care about the koopalings before even though they are trying to push them and if anything now I might even dislike them..

D

Deleted member

Aw c'mon, no need to be like that. Why can't people like the roster? What's wrong with you?
It's his thoughts on the roster, not what he thinks other people should think.(Also, that post was more than a page ago.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
It's his thoughts on the roster, not what he thinks other people should think.(Also, that post was more than a page ago.)
He was stating his opinion in a jerkish way though. There are better ways to state one's thoughts.

D

Deleted member

He was stating his opinion in a jerkish way though. There are better ways to state one's thoughts.
Too late now, his opinion has already been stated and done with, replying to him now will just drag out the heated conversation even more.

bloodbuzzed

Smash Apprentice
I think it's an amazing roster. Palutena, Villager and Jr. were all characters I supported, and Jr. coming with 7 totally unique character swaps is a total bonus and I doubt I will even pick him now.

Other than that all the other newcomers barring the handful of clones add something entirely new to the roster. Only newcomer I don't like even a little are the stupid Miis but we all saw that coming

I personally feel Toon Link shouldn't of made it and that Doc and Dark Pit should be palette swaps like Alph, but get no point in getting embittered by something I can't change.

I am confident that ICs will be DLC so not hurt over them, still potential in other big names for DLC too (Mewtwo, Dixie, Ridley, etc). Wolf and Lucas were for me more expendable so I'm sorry for their fans but I am not broken up over it.

Jigglypuff made it in and proved all naysayers wrong so I'm ecstatic. Peach looks as if she'll play wonderfully, closer to her Melee-self than Brawl-self.

I am entirely content. Sakurai worked hard, seems to have built a great game and I can't wait to shell out my money to buy it all.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
It's a fantastic roster with a great selection of unique newcomers and most of the classics we have come to expect in the series.

I only have two complaints. The cuts and Dark Pit. I'll take Dr. Mario for the Melee moveset and Lucina for being female and an altered Marth but Dark Pit is too much. Yeah he's basically got mostly Brawl Pit's moveset but was that necessary? Most people are happy with the new Pit. No need to bring old Pit back just for that.

As for the cuts, as much as I hate it they do make sense. I understand Squirtle, Ivysaur not really being needed without the Trainer. Snake for being third party and not fitting with what Sakurai wanted. No Roy because we already have a lot of Fire Emblem (Plus he'd be another clone). As well have come to understand why Wolf and Lucas aren't in as their special moves have been given as customs to Fox, Falco and Ness. So they didn't really need to return. Ice Climbers had 3DS problems as well.

Mewtwo has no excuse though. We have 7 Mario characters so 6 Pokemon shouldn't be a problem. But w/e maybe DLC.

Now obviously why were the clones added instead of them Wolf and Lucas? Moves. Sakurai didn't want to switch the moves around and instead wanted to alter the ones Mario and Pit had instead so other moves were given to Dr. Mario and Pit. Plus Lucina is popular and FE is at it's peak in popularity. With Wolf and Lucas, those moves can be easily given to Fox, Falco and Ness so it's not like we're losing them. We are losing their standard attacks and properties which is sad but that's how it is.

Plus Mother is a finished series. It's not like anything new will come of it. And Star Fox hasn't had a single new game since before Brawl. Only a remake was released since. So sadly lack of content led to thee series's getting less content in Smash.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
I think the roster is good. I'd give it a 7/10.

I enjoy the majority of the newcomers, and I disagree that all the good reveals were first because as a person who's never played Xenoblade, I think Shulk looks like the best newcomer of the bunch. Can't wait to try him! I don't think there's a single non-clone newcomer that I don't like, and as for clones... while I don't mind how they're an add-on (bonus content) and whatnot, I can't help but feel like they could have been alternate costumes and have been just as awesome. Like Alph, as many have mentioned.

Again, like many, I'm upset with the removal of the Ice Climbers. However, if they couldn't make it work, at least there's the possibility of the Climbers returning for Smash 5 where they probably can work, right?

I don't feel excited for the roster in the same way that I would if Ridley were on it, but all the same, Robin and Shulk looked incredible and made me feel excited for the game (and I've not even played their games), even if it pales in comparison to how Nintendo could have made me feel.

I'm really quite looking forward to it, but at the same time I totally understand why people are upset about it. Imagine the sales Nintendo would have pushed by making Ridley, K. Rool and Mewtwo playable. They'll hopefully find out in Smash 5.

I think we can rest easy. Missing some opportunities or not, the roster isn't a BAD roster, and it'll be fun either way.

Last edited:

SmashK.O.

Smash Rookie
I'm fine with the roster, but that's mostly because I don't have much of an attachment to characters like Ice Climbers, or Mewtwo, so I can understand people's disappointments with these two being omitted.

That being said, I hope Dr. Mario and Dark Pit have enough variation, because if there isn't, then there's no excuses for not making them costume alts of Mario and Pit respectively, when Alph is a costume alt of Olimar.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Pros: Pacster, Duck Hunt Dog, Palutena, Wii Fit Trainer (Talk ****, get fit!), Villager, Mac, Dr. Mario (the superior Mario), Junior with the Koopaling outfits, Shulk, Greninja, Mega Man, Snake is finally dead (:troll:), and Miis (Here I come Bruce Lee!).

Cons: Lack of any Big Three, Ice Climbers had to be neutered, Lack of the Daisy alt despite the Koopalings and Alph existing is disheartening, Chrom got replaced by his own future daughter, no Gamboy Advance rep yet (Where the hell is Isaac?), Takamaru got the Brawl Mac treatment, Dark Pit (No Medusa = Instarage), and no Rhythm Heaven reps makes me sad.

Over all, I have a tsundere relationship with this roster (but mostly positive about it). I'm still gonna get it anyway since there are more pros than cons about this roster.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
It's a fantastic roster with a great selection of unique newcomers and most of the classics we have come to expect in the series.

I only have two complaints. The cuts and Dark Pit. I'll take Dr. Mario for the Melee moveset and Lucina for being female and an altered Marth but Dark Pit is too much. Yeah he's basically got mostly Brawl Pit's moveset but was that necessary? Most people are happy with the new Pit. No need to bring old Pit back just for that.

As for the cuts, as much as I hate it they do make sense. I understand Squirtle, Ivysaur not really being needed without the Trainer. Snake for being third party and not fitting with what Sakurai wanted. No Roy because we already have a lot of Fire Emblem (Plus he'd be another clone). As well have come to understand why Wolf and Lucas aren't in as their special moves have been given as customs to Fox, Falco and Ness. So they didn't really need to return. Ice Climbers had 3DS problems as well.

Mewtwo has no excuse though. We have 7 Mario characters so 6 Pokemon shouldn't be a problem. But w/e maybe DLC.

Now obviously why were the clones added instead of them Wolf and Lucas? Moves. Sakurai didn't want to switch the moves around and instead wanted to alter the ones Mario and Pit had instead so other moves were given to Dr. Mario and Pit. Plus Lucina is popular and FE is at it's peak in popularity. With Wolf and Lucas, those moves can be easily given to Fox, Falco and Ness so it's not like we're losing them. We are losing their standard attacks and properties which is sad but that's how it is.

Plus Mother is a finished series. It's not like anything new will come of it. And Star Fox hasn't had a single new game since before Brawl. Only a remake was released since. So sadly lack of content led to thee series's getting less content in Smash.
Yet more people still know what star fox is than fire emblem, Fire emblem also got more reps than DK and Metroid which are most definetley more popular. Also star fox has a game on its way in early 2015. We lost wolf, he had his own moveset the only think even close to foxes was his specials which still felt different. Also as a character he is different too.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Fire Emblem has a lot more sequels, reached a LOT of success with its new release, and its overall future isn't currently in doubt. Xenoblade is a relatively new franchise and has one representative.

Not really comparable.
Fire Emblem has a lot more sequels, but most of them weren't succesful, Metroid future isn't in doubt either

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Yet more people still know what star fox is than fire emblem, Fire emblem also got more reps than DK and Metroid which are most definetley more popular. Also star fox has a game on its way in early 2015. We lost wolf, he had his own moveset the only think even close to foxes was his specials which still felt different. Also as a character he is different too.
Donkey Kong, Metroid and Star Fox are all more popular than Fire emblem and Kid Icarus. Its just poor roster creation.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
What if you just count returning characters as just a privilege and just base the roster around the Newcomer Pool instead?

For me, Smash 64 has the 2nd Best Roster even though if you just count by quantity, then it is the worst one. But the Original 12 were overall a better pool of characters then both Melee and Smash 4's Newcomers.
That's a more interesting comparison but still an unfair one. The later smash iterations stand almost no chance against the earlier ones, because the most of the most iconic characters are already in. There really is just no fair way to compare rosters in terms of how well Sakuria and his team did in terms of picking peeps.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Melee had no cuts and only additions.

Brawl had cuts and added characters that would inevitablely be cut.

It's been controversial ever since.

A franchise should only add not subtract. Also characters should be given careful consideration.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
So, I'm aware that a few of you were mad at the fact that there was no Mewtwo. For those of you that were, has your opinion of the roster changed, or has it stayed the same?
Melee had no cuts and only additions.

Brawl had cuts and added characters that would inevitablely be cut.

It's been controversial ever since.

A franchise should only add not subtract. Also characters should be given careful consideration.
I don't think this makes sense. If Smash Bros never subtracted, we would still have Young Link instead of Toon Link. I would have loved to see characters not be cut, but unfortunately, these things have to happen. There simply isn't enough time or space to keep adding without taking away.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
The roster was already really good to me, but I felt like Mewtwo was THE character missing (I'm not a huge fan, but I liked him in Melee).

So now, it's awesome. And it almost confirms others DLC as well (I doubt they would stop there)

Top Bottom