• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Roster?

Does Smash 4 have the best smash roster?

• Total voters

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
I'd give it a 1/10. No actual requested characters.
You're literally making so much unnecessary drama over ONE CHARACTER. Take a chill pill. And no requested characters? Are you daft? Look at character forums for all of the confirmed ones, they'd prove you wrong. Fast.

Back on topic:
Yes, I do believe this is the best roster yet. So many great characters that I can't wait to play as. Also, the game just looks and feels GORGEOUS!

Last edited:

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
Of all the Smash games, I believe Brawl's is the best.
Of what it could have been, no.

Kamikam70

Smash Cadet
Definitely the best for me. Sad that IC and Wolf are cut, but I never played as them. I dislike both Mewtwo's and Ridley's fanbases, so I don't care about their absences.

Seriously, we've got some of the most popular characters (Little Mac, Palutena, Megaman, Pac-Man, Shulk...), some AWESOME surprises (Greninja, Duck Hunt, Rosalina, Bowser Jr...), and the incredible amount of 34 veterans (almost the same number of characters as the WHOLE roster of Brawl !) for a total of 49 characters (52 if we count the 3 different Mii Fighters).

I'm so tired of people complaining about ONE character who isn't in. They'll learn to play with and like another character, and that will be all okay then. And if you're really butthurt, then just don't buy this game. But please let me enjoy this dreamy roster without your grumblings.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I guess so… but seriously, after Megaman, Ridley, Mewtwo and K. Rool were the most wanted characters in the West and none of them are here! It baffles me. I know Little Mac and Palutena were close, but still… I do agree with some others that we're getting some when the Wii U version is here.

Alos, re-used sound files for some characters and clones, including Ganondorf, just seems a bit lazy to me.
Megaman was confirmed 14 months ago dude.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
If Smash 4 didn't have the best roster given the amount of veterans already at its disposal, I'd demand that Sakurai never be brought back as a director again.

That being said, I got my most wanted newcomer (:4robinm:) so I'm content despite the exclusions & cuts (Dark Pit still ****ing sucks though :mad:).

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
From a mechanics standpoint, it is an interesting roster with a lot of potential.

From a characterization standpoint, this game's newcomers are almost all terrible choices.
Really? Megaman, Villager, Shulk, PacMan, Little Mac, Palutena, and DHD are all terrible? If that's the casee, then why were they requested so much?

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I will choose Option D: I like a good chunk of the Roster and the other chunk I don't particularly care for.

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
Really? Megaman, Villager, Shulk, PacMan, Little Mac, Palutena, and DHD are all terrible? If that's the casee, then why were they requested so much?
I legitimately thought that DHD supporters and Pac-Man supporters were all trolling until I came here for the former, and when he was revealed for the latter.

RedCap-BlueSpikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedCapBlueSpikes
I got almost everyone I really wanted: Pac-Man, Little Mac, Shulk, Dixie, and Dillon. I'm 3/5 and I'm surprised I got even that. Almost all of my favorite characters from Brawl got in and I wasn't expecting that, either. I'm sad that Wolf got cut, but I'll deal with it.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with the roster and I can't wait to try everyone out.

Chase

Smash Ace
Brawl's roster is the best in my opinion. There wasn't any clear series bias and a relatively mediocre game didn't get 3 times as much representation as it warrants. This roster is "meh". There are characters like Mega Man, Pac-Man, Little Mac, Robin, Duck Hunt, Rosalina, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, and Bowser Jr. that are actually pretty cool (to a lesser extent Palutena), but we also have Lucina, Dark Pit, and to a lesser extent Mii Fighters and Greninja. So I give it a 4/10.

Last edited:

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
This is definitely my favourite roster. I'd say... 9.5/10. :grin:
It's not perfect, but it's got several characters that I wanted and I couldn't reasonably ask for any more. :)
I just hope that Dark Pit is easily distinguishable from Pit.

Last edited:

Igneous42

Smash Ace
I'd be a lot happier with it if there weren't cuts, I know there weren't many but they still sucks. For me personally Wolf was one of my favorite Brawl newcomers. I like the character, I liked his design and I liked how he played. Losing him for **** characters like Duck Hunt sucks. Melee to Brawls cuts didn't seem so bad. Yeah Mewtwo was awesome but other than that the only real cuts we're clones. In this one we lost Wolf and Lucas, who only idiots still call clones, Ice Climbers who were among the most unique fighters even if I didn't care for them myself and Snake. Snake I understand losing more because there are obviously copyright hurdles and such but best case scenario we would have gotten him back.

So for best roster I have to say No. Too many cuts and while I like most of the newcomers pretty well there isn't any of them that get me really hyped. I'm more excited that ZSS is a standalone character than I am for any of the newcomers.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
You're literally making so much unnecessary drama over ONE CHARACTER. Take a chill pill. And no requested characters? Are you daft? Look at character forums for all of the confirmed ones, they'd prove you wrong. Fast.

Back on topic:
Yes, I do believe this is the best roster yet. So many great characters that I can't wait to play as. Also, the game just looks and feels GORGEOUS!
It's one character, the MOST IMPORTANT CHARACTER OF THEM ALL, every other Newcomer feels barely-relevant at best when compared to the Big 3, who should've made it into the roster before the steaming pile known as Dr. Mario, or the other steaming pile known as Dark Pit.

Mind you, I absolutely LOVED the character choices until now (Loved, past tense)...Villager, Rosalina, Little Mac, Palutena, Robin, Lucina were all characters I was ecstasic about, but everything that was good about those characters dissapeared when Ridley wasn't in the final roster, the deconfirmation of the most relevant, controversial and outright deserving newcomer makes everything good about this roster fade away like it never existed in the first place. We either get 100%, or the 80% that we got means NOTHING, ZERO, NADA! There's no Pros and Cons with Smash Rosters, it either has everything you wanted, or nothing at all.

But Ridley's exclusion alone doesn't make this the worst roster...this roster's the worse because it outright IGNORES the biggest character fanbases, where's Ridley? Where's Mewtwo? Where's K.Rool? Where's Dixie Kong? WHERE ARE THE ICE CLIMBERS!?
Brawl's roster is the best in my opinion. There wasn't any clear series bias and a relatively mediocre game didn't get 3 times as much representation as it warrants. This roster is "meh". There are characters like Mega Man, Pac-Man, Little Mac, Robin, Duck Hunt, Rosalina, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, and Bowser Jr. that are actually pretty cool (to a lesser extent Palutena), but we also have Lucina, Dark Pit, and to a lesser extent Mii Fighters and Greninja. So I give it a 4/10.
Kid Icarus Uprising was like the total opposite of a mediocre game, with Smash4 turning out to be, well...Ridley-less, it stands as Sakurai's best and most polished game, the controls are amazing, the voice acting's amazing, the story's amazing, the music's amazing, the graphics are amazing, what more do you want? Also...Mii Fighters aren't bad, you're acting like the Miis aren't a major part of Nintendo.

Last edited:

ShyKChan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shyflutters18
3DS FC
0662-3508-3411
I think most people are basing their disappointment on the unlockable newcomers and judging the whole roster on that. Yeah Duck Hunt, Dark Pit, and Bowser Jr. are a pretty lackluster way to end the roster. But there's no way you can look back on our journey, the Megaman, the Rosalina, the Little Mac, the Palutena, Miis, Pacman, the Robins, and Shulk, and say that this is a roster that no one wanted. These were all popularly requested characters, one way or another.
That's what I did, initially. I judged the whole roster based on the last 3 newcomers, which you shouldn't do.

I believe that the unlockable newcomers should be picked to generate more hype overall. I know there are others who will think differently, as they love said newcomers. However, to me, an unlockable newcomer should be pretty surprising and exciting in general.

I mean, you're running through Classic mode with someone, you skip through the credits, "Challenger Approaching" and all that, and you see the silhouette. It's... Pit... but Dark? Yay? :l Okay I'm a little biased, Never played Uprising yet.

Well, every character was picked for a reason. Overall, I'm pretty darn happy with the roster. We got a lot of big names in this Smash. Not everyone's gonna be satisfied. This is the final roster, and so far, there hasn't been confirmation on DLC. The roster's not gonna change right now.

Venting is over now. Two cents has been thrown in.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Female smashers are way way way up. This is a win for me and especially for my girlfriend who always felt stuck - sure, we've both played other characters but it's always nice.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
It's not a bad roster. But I prefer Brawl/PM's roster.
Smash 4 cut my two favorites between games. And as much as I like Robin and am looking forward to Jr, it won't be the same hype I had for Ivysaur. And Lucas had been a pleasant surprise to me.

But we'll see.

I really wish DHD wasn't in the game. I really wish that.

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
It's one character, the MOST IMPORTANT CHARACTER OF THEM ALL, every other Newcomer feels barely-relevant at best when compared to the Big 3, who should've made it into the roster before the steaming pile known as Dr. Mario, or the other steaming pile known as Dark Pit.
My goodness, can you PLEASE just tell who's the "second-most requested character in the west" already?!

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992

Mind you, I absolutely LOVED the character choices until now (Loved, past tense)...Villager, Rosalina, Little Mac, Palutena, Robin, Lucina were all characters I was ecstasic about, but everything that was good about those characters dissapeared when Ridley wasn't in the final roster, the deconfirmation of the most relevant, controversial and outright deserving newcomer makes everything good about this roster fade away like it never existed in the first place. We either get 100%, or the 80% that we got means NOTHING, ZERO, NADA! There's no Pros and Cons with Smash Rosters, it either has everything you wanted, or nothing at all.

But Ridley's exclusion alone doesn't make this the worst roster...this roster's the worse because it outright IGNORES the biggest character fanbases, where's Ridley? Where's Mewtwo? Where's K.Rool? Where's Dixie Kong? WHERE ARE THE ICE CLIMBERS!?

Kid Icarus Uprising was like the total opposite of a mediocre game, with Smash4 turning out to be, well...Ridley-less, it stands as Sakurai's best and most polished game, the controls are amazing, the voice acting's amazing, the story's amazing, the music's amazing, the graphics are amazing, what more do you want? Also...Mii Fighters aren't bad, you're acting like the Miis aren't a major part of Nintendo.
So what you're saying is that you choose to focus on what you hate while subsequently throwing away all focus on what you liked? Also, am I the only person who didn't think Mewtwo was gonna be in this game? K Rool maybe, but I just never saw Mewtwo getting in. Ice climbers I can't really comment on, as I never really liked them.

4theRECORD

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2878-9708-8635
8/10.
I got Robin and so many other good newcomers, so personally I'm not that mad.
I'm a bit salty that Miis got in over Wolf, though.
Who knows, maybe there will be updates...

Kamikam70

Smash Cadet

I just CAN'T BELIEVE you're serious.
Sm4sh is the worst because you, poor people, didn't get your giant aerodactyl ? Poor little thing. But what about trying one of the 52 other characters of this game, instead of complaining ?
Seriously, Ridley wasn't playable in any SSB game anyway. So why would THIS ONE be the worst roster ever ? Get your things right. That's some crazy way of thinking.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992

Also, who is this "ONE CHARACTER!?!" you never answered who it was.

mini paincakes

Smash Journeyman
It's probably the best roster smash has had and probably the best fighting game roster ever that isn't from a fan-made game.

With that being said, it's still pretty lackluster.

The only Newcomers that I wanted before their trailers were shown are MegaMan, PacMan, Shulk and Little Mac. The rest of the newcomers were cool because Sakurai made them work, but they weren't super requested.

The lack of so many unique smash vets takes away from the roster too. There is no reason why Lucas, Wolf, Snake, Ice Climbers, Ivysaur and Squirtle couldn't have been on the roster.

No Mew2, Ridley or K. Rool is a huge bummer.

Dark Pit as a playable character left a sour taste in my mouth.

I'm satisfied with the roster, but it feels super lacking compared to what it could have been. When Brawl came out, it felt like a full roster, this just feels incomplete. Hopefully there's more characters being saved for the Wii U hype.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
No. Why? 'Cause SSB5 will have a better roster, then SSB6, then SSB7, and so forth.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Brawl's roster was better

But Mega Man, DHD, Greninja and Robin were pretty dang cool

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
My goodness, can you PLEASE just tell who's the "second-most requested character in the west" already?!
Check my signature, second-to-last character.
I just CAN'T BELIEVE you're serious.
Sm4sh is the worst because you, poor people, didn't get your giant aerodactyl ? Poor little thing. But what about trying one of the 52 other characters of this game, instead of complaining ?
Seriously, Ridley wasn't playable in any SSB game anyway. So why would THIS ONE be the worst roster ever ? Get your things right. That's some crazy way of thinking.
Because the absence of Ridley makes all of the redeeming factors of the other 52 other characters worthless? Remember how the lack of Megaman makes MvC3's roster suck despite having Phoenix Wright, Ghost Rider and so on? Well, it's a similar situation here, who am I gonna try...Samus? Or maybe Samus without her power suit? How about Mario, or maybe Mario with a labcoat? Perhaps Pit, or Pit feeling a little goth (Reference to an actually-deserving Kid Icarus villain). They should rename this game Smash Bros. Fashion Disaster because all I see is the same people with different clothes everywhere.

Without Ridley this roster just feels lacking, it doesn't have any strong elements.

Severn

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1478-4772-7152
Omgz no ridley or mewtwo bad roster -1/10 not buying

But seriously, I'd give it an 8/10. Would be a 10 but the pointless clones over the old less cloney characters (Lucas and wold) drop the score. Minus the abominations the choices are fantastic and I can't wait to try out the newcomers!

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Check my signature, second-to-last character.

Without Ridley this roster just feels lacking, it doesn't have any strong elements.
You don't HAVE a signature on my screen. Also, "without Ridley this roster doesn't have any strong elements"
No, just... NO. I can put up with a lot of things, but THIS... NO! JUST.... NO! No strong elements!? What are you, blind!? There are TONS of strong elements in the roster already. Pacman, Megaman, Little Mac, Shulk, the character mechanics EVERYTHING! Ridley would have added to the strong elements, not make them entirely!

Top Bottom