• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Roster?

Does Smash 4 have the best smash roster?

• Total voters

Phantom High

Smash Apprentice
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/70057311

check this url. I made a thread on how I felt.

Yes i was pissed that Pittoo is in,a literal clone compared to semi clones like Wolf and Lucas.
However Smash is still Smash. To me 50% of the hype comes from the characters. Smash isn't just about characters...it's about fighting one another and doing something really cool.
Sure i wanted Mewtwo, Ridley, and Roy in, but at the same time...Sakurai, made some good choices in the roster.
My reason for playing Smash isn't to just play as my favorite characters. It's about doing cool stuff with my favorite characters and show off to three world.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=PWttf_L7uK0&list=PLoUHkRwnRH-KtgM_eifMiFjHH1fSNaDq9

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Let me put it this way.
Is the greatest roster of all time? But for what we got it's not a bad roster. It's just everyone's complaining that their favorite character is not in.

I'd give it a 7/10

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
"Wow I'm impressed. Some that finally Reaching Stage: 5 Acceptance immediately."
Also, is it so hard to just copy and paste your comment here instead of linking to somewhere else?

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I'd give it a 1/10. No actual requested characters.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Moving this over from the other thread

It's not the best roster, but it's also not the worst. I judge rosters by Newcomer Pools.

Brawl's has the best with an astounding 18 Newcomers each with their own degree of Merit

Smash 64 is 2nd with the stars introduced in the Original 12. And all of them sure to be permanent mainstays.

Smash 4 is 3rd. Awesome newcomers that rival some of Brawl's best inclusions. But also some headscratching additions.

Melee is in last. Has 3 of the 4 worst inclusions in the series. And even some of the inclusions that could have been cool was ruined by not really grasping the character's true potential.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
What about Megaman, Villager, Rosalina, Little Mac, Pacman, Palutena, Miis, Lucina, Robin, Duck Hunt Dog, and Shulk? They were requested.
Does lackofsecondmostrequestedcharacterinthewestafterMegaman ring a bell? Seriously, not even Megaman could save this little trainwreck, not even Megaman, Pac-Man, Sonic and Mario on the same game.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Best? No. Excellent? Yes.

A lot of requested characters got in, we got a very unique roster, and despite the lack of villains and some cuts, we have hope for DLC and a really fun game.

HipsandChips

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5172-0569-0749
We'll the actual charcters themselves is debatable, I think it's the best due to the attention to detail and how different they all are.
More new playstyles than ever before!

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Does lackofsecondmostrequestedcharacterinthewestafterMegaman ring a bell? Seriously, not even Megaman could save this little trainwreck, not even Megaman, Pac-Man, Sonic and Mario on the same game.
Actually, they can. They did. It already happened.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Nope.

Keep in mind that Little Mac was almost never requested in Japan. In fact. Mac actually had a negative reaction in Japan.
Yeah, well, Little Mac's impact was, well, LITTLE compared to a MUCH BIGGER newcomer.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
No, not yet. It is good, just a bit disappointing for those huge fanbases that supported their characters in the game. None of the big 3 made it in and that is just suspicious.

I still think that the roster is complete, FOR NOW. Upon the Wii U launch version I think it will have more characters, the highly requested ones and they will be added to the 3DS version via FREE patch. So I still expect to see some newcomer trailers after this has calmed down, to hype the Wii U version!

Side note:
@ HipsandChips HipsandChips
Where is your signature from? I have seen that somewhere before....

Steelia

Smash Champion
Kudos for bringing together Mario VS. Sonic VS. Mega Man VS. Pac-Man. But it's pretty sad when the most hyped newcomer characters are the third party ones. No Rids, no Mewtwos, no K. Rools, not even flippin Dixie. The loss of the ICs is a pretty huge blow, too.

No... It's just not doing it for me.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
7/10 for cutting reasonable characters just for clones and giving female marth a slot.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
All of the Newcomers are, if not welcome, then at least interesting in the gameplay styles they offer. There is no Newcomer, I find, whose presence is unwarranted or undesirable.

The only downsides to Smash 4's roster are:

-The cut Veterans, mainly in Ice Climbers, Lucas, and Wolf. Personally, I enjoyed Wolf the most of the three in Brawl, though I think ICs are the most significant cut, due to their wholly unique play style. In terms of Veterans, Mewtwo is also a popular, but once-more denied participant (and I was gunning for him the most of all).

-The absence of longstanding popular Newcomer candidates. People like Ridley, K Rool, Bandana Dee, Isaac, Dixie Kong, and other notable fan-favourites 'round these parts. Sakurai's leaning toward characters more recent in the past few years is not unjustified, but it would have been nice to get more big names that didn't necessarily originate in the post-Brawl years.

On the upside, there is both the possibility of DLC characters, as well as the fact that there are now few big names left as Newcomer candidates in future Smash games. By Smash 5, the Newcomer pool will be wearing thin indeed.

-The three Costume Clones are not bad additions, in and of themselves. They're last-minute padding. It's simply that their presence further underscores the absence of cut Veterans and Newcomer candidates alike.

I have at least a good 8-10 characters that I find appealing in the present roster, so I'm set in that regard. And like most, I fully welcome DLC characters, regardless of when they might arise. In terms of satisfaction, I suppose I'd give it a 7/10. It's a solid roster for what it has, and is only diminished in what it lacks.

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
The removal of veterans and lack of highly requested Nintendo chars disappointed me a bit.
I wish the ESRB leak didn't spoiler everything.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I give it a 8/10

Best roster :no but if mewtwo ridley and king k rool are dlc then it will be yes

But it really is a fantasic roster though

Most of them Are requested and the most known characters in the world :4pacman::4megaman::4sonic::4mario: Are all playable in this

Redcard

Smash Cadet
I think you can guess who I'm talking about, the second most-requested newcomer on the west.
You should be happy that your character is in the game at all.
K. Rool was more requested than Ridley in both East and West, only under Megaman and Mewtwo for overall. DK doesn't even have so much as a new stage.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
IMO PM's roster is better, not just because of the characters included, but the improvements to the characters. Pretty much all PM characters got some smart adjustments, while in Smash 4 a lot of characters were barely touched.

It'll be a slaughter once PM gets its final five characters.

HipsandChips

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5172-0569-0749
No, not yet. It is good, just a bit disappointing for those huge fanbases that supported their characters in the game. None of the big 3 made it in and that is just suspicious.

I still think that the roster is complete, FOR NOW. Upon the Wii U launch version I think it will have more characters, the highly requested ones and they will be added to the 3DS version via FREE patch. So I still expect to see some newcomer trailers after this has calmed down, to hype the Wii U version!

Side note:
@ HipsandChips HipsandChips
Where is your signature from? I have seen that somewhere before....

Super Writer

Smash Apprentice
10/10 and 1/10 are meaningless. Instead I'll say I'm mostly satisfied.

My only problem is Dark Pit, if only because Alph, who I feel has a lot more potential to be his own character is a skin. Besides that, most of the leaked Newcomers came out a lot better than I thought they would, and while I wanted Lucas to return, I can find a new main (actually already did).

It's unfortunate but Smash can't just keep bringing back every character, every game is bound to see a few more cuts over time in order to keep numbers reasonable for both time and budget, keep in mind this isn't MUGEN, there's a point where they must cap off how many characters are in but at the same time include new characters to keep the franchise relevant.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
It's the best out of all the Smash games. I'm happy with it, but it could've been better :)

SonicMario

Smash Master
IMO PM's roster is better, not just because of the characters included, but the improvements to the characters. Pretty much all PM characters got some smart adjustments, while in Smash 4 a lot of characters were barely touched.

It'll be a slaughter once PM gets its final five characters.
I personally don't count Project M because it's a mod of Brawl (In order to play Project M, what game are you playing according to the CD you place in your Wii/Wii U?). Even when Project M adds the 5 other characters, I don't think it makes enough difference for me to consider it an entirely new game.

Don't get me wrong, I love Project M. But as far as I'm concerned it just counts as part of Brawl for me. I mean considering I said Brawl had the best roster already, of course Project M has the best because it adds more to it. Project M's more of a fanmade expansion pack like I've seen for games like Star Wars Battlefront on PC/Mac

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
This would have been the hypest roster yet if the leakers didn't ruin everything. However, I do feel that Nintendo could try and shake things up if Smash 6 is ever released (3DS and Wii U are different instalments in my mind), and maybe hand things over to a new dev team.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
The lack of IC, Wolf, Lucas, and Mewtwo is disheartening for sure. And the clone selection is horrid. But other than that, pretty nice!

spd12

Smash Cadet
NNID
PinkDodecahedron
3DS FC
0104-0418-0459
I think it's a great roster in terms of size and overall diversity. Lots of fun and interesting playstyles, a good number of new franchises brought into the fold... really, a lot to like.

I'll have fun with the game and its cast for quite some time to come, even if I cope with the loss of the Rope Snake. There's so much to like, even then.

AncientArk

Smash Apprentice
Its decent. 5 or 6 out of 10

Some of the characters I don't care about (Shulk, Duck Hunt Dog, Dark Pit to name a few). I'm not happy that only Dr Mario is returning from Melee.
The cuts are weird, and it hints that the 3DS hard ware did impact the games roster if the Ice Climber rumours are true.

But whatever, we got some cool characters, but I'm sad that we lost some awesome ones.

And also, once again, the better characters are revealed too quickly and are playable at the start.
So damn annoying.

Top Bottom