• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Roster?

Does Smash 4 have the best smash roster?

• Total voters

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Best roster as of now because of the amount of characters and the wide variation in playstyles. Honestly, I didn't care much about the big 3 but wouldn't have had a problem with their inclusion. A little bummed about ICs getting cut but I'll live (I didn't play as them much anyway). For me to absolutely declare this as the best roster, I have to see how character balance shapes up

Khao

Smash Lord
Yes.

This roster has both quality and quantity, I'd say this is one of the better batches of newcomers we've ever gotten. Even if we got a few dissapointing cuts, the newcomers more than make up for them. Even if you cut the clones and replace them with nobody, I think this is an extremely solid, and very varied roster.

The one mistake was in revealing most of the exciting characters too soon, they should have learned with Brawl and save some big names as unlockables.

I'm happy with this. I expected more after the whole lock deal in the leak, but I was kinda prepared for this being the final roster too, and it's a good roster.

I am kinda dissapointed at the lack of Ridley, and especially at Ice Climbers getting cut, but a couple characters alone don't make or break the game, I'm still ****ing hyped.

MBakhsh

Smash Apprentice
I honestly would have preferred having the Brawl roster again in this game. You know it's an issue when the cuts outweigh the newcomers.

ShyKChan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shyflutters18
3DS FC
0662-3508-3411
I'm assuming most people have seen/heard about the final roster through Twitch.

I'm not a big fan of Dark Pit and Duck Hunt Dog. And I didn't expect Dr. Mario to return all the way from Melee, I don't quite see the reason for bringing the Doctor back. I'm fine with Bowser Jr. and Shulk being in, but I can't help but feel disappointed with this final roster... I also feel that something is hidden. The CSS layout leads me to believe that we may or may not get more characters after the Wii U release as DLC, but that's just my opinion. :ohwell:

Talk about how you feel here.

Triblaze

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Triblaze0
I am satisfied, but I can't help but feel greedy. I feel like we shouldn't have gotten cuts. ~.~

Jiggy37

Smash Apprentice
Well, there are a few ways to judge this. It's the best roster just by virtue of having the most characters, sure, but I can break it down too:

What the roster has that I wanted: A+
Jigglypuff is still in and my third Melee main is back in Dr. Mario. I play a ridiculous ton of characters, but honestly, even if it was just Jigglypuff, Kirby, Falco, and Dr. Mario, I'd have to give a perfect grade.

What the roster has that I didn't want: D-
Until now I haven't hated any Smash character, but this roster is loaded with characters who I want to punch in the face. Sometimes that's in a good way (Duck Hunt Dog), but mostly in the bad way like with Bowser Jr., the Miis, and four others.

What the roster doesn't have that I wanted: D
I can completely ignore that Dixie Kong, Daisy, Waluigi, Isaac, K. Rool, etc. would have been reasonable picks and didn't get in, but I still have to hand out a D because Ice Climbers, Lucas, and even Ivysaur were some of my favorite characters to play, they were already made, and they're gone. :( Ice Climbers especially hurt since they've been there for two games.

Newcomers only: C+
I only like five of the newcomers, so a C+ might seem a bit high, but this is quality over quantity. Mega Man's such a huge name, Sakurai surprisingly made the correct call with Robin and Lucina instead of Chrom, Palutena's moveset variety is intriguing, and I had negative interest in Pac-Man until his crazy moveset sold me. All of these characters except Lucina really stand out in terms of feeling unique too.

zero sum

Smash Apprentice
i mean, i don't know exactly what “best roster” means for me. as someone who doesn't play a lot of video games aside from pokemon and smash (and the occasional mario/zelda title), i'm not heavily invested in many characters to begin with, if any. i think a lot of what i consider a “good roster” depends entirely on who i enjoy playing, which of course is contingent on the mechanics of the characters i'm playing and the physics of the game. i've never had smash 4 in my hands so any statement that i could make about the roster would feel utterly meaningless, at least to me

overall i like the character selection. there are a few characters i feel are a bit superfluous and one or two characters i'd rather have over them, but it's not a major hangup for me. i guess it just depends on how much fun i have with the characters more than the characters themselves, honestly. there are characters that i haven't liked in the past on there, but since this is a new game i'm absolutely willing to give them a second—or even a third—chance

Redcard

Smash Cadet
I'm only slightly disappointed, but I still know it's going to be a great game. This is a fantastic roster and we got a lot of requested characters (though some people won't like to admit it), and they all seem to have pretty unique playstyles (even Marth's "zoning"/spacing gameplay vs Lucina's potentially more rushdown type because of no tippers).

firewingpegasus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NanaSuki
3DS FC
0731-4761-5838
I say people shouldn't feel disappointed. DHD, Bowser Jr. and Dr. Mario were complete surprises.. Sakurai had at least 12 things saved up he didn't want us to know, and the only reason today wasn't as satisfying was because we sadly already knew the full roster. Everyone was expecting more.

I, for one, love the roster. It's full of unique (excluding the clones) characters and I can't wait to get good with my favorites.

Last edited:

LordVacation

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SpaceVacation
It's pretty bad, dude.

Should have kept Little Mac/Palutena/Shulk/Wii-Fit a secret or at the very least locked..
No reason Pacman and Sonic needed to be unlocked from the start either.

Feeling massively greedy but seriously, the screen is out of whack and the number is pure silly.

Holding out nothing but hope for Wii U differences or DLC... straight up **** the 3DS for what it's done.

ShyKChan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shyflutters18
3DS FC
0662-3508-3411
I am satisfied, but I can't help but feel greedy. I feel like we shouldn't have gotten cuts. ~.~
Yeah, the cuts hurt bruh. Poor Lucas, Wolf, and Ice Climbers... :crying:
I wasn't expcecting a lot of cuts to be made. I would've liked Snake to stay, but his chances were slim for returning. And I play Lucas in Brawl, so that hurts.

I am looking forward to playing as Greninja and Little Mac though. I'll test out Charizard to see if I click with him. Overall, I am pretty happy, but the cuts... they hurt. And a few of the newcomers are leaving me salty.

Serilei

Smash Apprentice
I am amazed at the 50 roster selection for sure, and quite thankful for all the hard work Sakurai put into this game.

I personally feel though a few bad decisions may have been made on the cuts, but he knows why they were made, so yeah.

I do believe though that maybe, just maybe the Wii U / 3DS connection will bring in the remaining four slots. It would be good promotion and hype.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Yes I like the roster overall. The cuts are really disheartening but it's still a solid roster.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Best roster in the series yes, but that's all thanks to the veterans. Compared to Brawl's newcomers neither Melee's or Smash 4's newcomers hold a finger against them. Mind you that says more about how great the Brawl newcomers were than anything else, I do still like some of the additions that Melee and Smash 4 brought with them.

Last edited:

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
I say people shouldn't feel disappointed. DHD, Bowser Jr. and Dr. Mario were complete surprises.. Sakurai had at least 12 things saved up he didn't want us to know, and the only reason today wasn't as satisfying was because we sadly already knew the full roster. Everyone was expecting more.

I, for one, love the roster. It's full of unique (excluding the clones) characters and I can't wait to get good with my favorites.
This all day. The leak took away so much surprise for us. I think people wouldn't have a such bad reaction if these 11 unlockable characters were all unknown.

All-in-all, it's a good roster. 48 characters (51 including Miis) is nothing to sneeze at.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
I think it's easily the best roster even if I'd have done a few things different. I wish they'd have made more of the clones just alts ala alph, but the newcomers that aren't clones are all really cool and very unique

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I'm assuming most people have seen/heard about the final roster through Twitch.

I'm not a big fan of Dark Pit and Duck Hunt Dog. And I didn't expect Dr. Mario to return all the way from Melee, I don't quite see the reason for bringing the Doctor back. I'm fine with Bowser Jr. and Shulk being in, but I can't help but feel disappointed with this final roster... I also feel that something is hidden. The CSS layout leads me to believe that we may or may not get more characters after the Wii U release as DLC, but that's just my opinion. :ohwell:

Talk about how you feel here.
Okay, I often post negative thought about the roster, I want to say is I don't know why you still like this final roster. The starting characters are perfect. But it is just awful to see how bold the hidden characters are.
Hey! Don't get me wrong! The only problem I had are Bowser Jr. and Duck Hunt Dog. I think Sakurai add these two characters just to satisfy some fans' weird request. Dr.Mario is another awful idea. I would rather want Alph as a new character rather than Dr.Mario. I will love him if he is an alt costume for Mario.
My conclusion is: 30% of this roster is too fan-based.A major blow for this roster. Since Sakurai is famous for giving us surprises.

Last edited:

ShyKChan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shyflutters18
3DS FC
0662-3508-3411
I think it's easily the best roster even if I'd have done a few things different. I wish they'd have made more of the clones just alts ala alph, but the newcomers that aren't clones are all really cool and very unique
I agree with this. I feel as if Dark Pit and Dr. Mario could've gotten away as alts, but then late in development I guess they just made them playable to buff up the roster and please fans. I do love all of the non-clone newcomers though- well actually, Lucina is starting to grow on me. I don't much care for the others though.

LordVacation

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SpaceVacation
The more I think about it the less it makes sense to have Dr.Mario (who I hypocritically enjoy being back) and Dark Pit when we've got Alph and Male Villager/Trainer like... what's the excuse?

Just to hype up those new Icarus games? like... gag me.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
From a mechanics standpoint, it is an interesting roster with a lot of potential.

From a characterization standpoint, this game's newcomers are almost all terrible choices.

ShyKChan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shyflutters18
3DS FC
0662-3508-3411
Okay, I often post negative thought about the roster, I want to say is I don't why you still like this final roster. The starting characters are perfect. But it is just awful to see how bold the hidden characters are.
Hey! Don't get me wrong! The only problem I had are Bowser Jr. and Duck Hunt Dog. I think Sakurai add these two characters just to satisfy some fans' weird request. Dr.Mario is another awful idea. I would rather want Alph as a new character rather than Dr.Mario. I will love him if he is an alt costume for Mario.
My conclusion is: 30% of this roster is too fan-based.A major blow for this roster. Since Sakurai is famous for giving us surprises.
Honestly, I am pleased with the roster as a whole. But I am a human, and we all have opinions. I guess I was just expecting more out of this game than I thought. I was secretly hoping for Mewtwo's return in this game, and I wanted no cuts from Brawl, but such a thing did not happen. Don't get me wrong, I am still happy and very excited to play, but I won't be trying out certian characters.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Technically, it is the best roster. It's not perfect, but there's a lot of different characters *hides Doctor Mario and Dark Pit*

Mr_Anderson

Smash Cadet
I'm still super super disappointed, really. The cuts they made were absolutely abysmal, and yet they bring back Dr. F-ing Mario. On top of that, the secret newcomers are all EXTREMELY underwhelming to me. Dark Pit is literally just a color swap of Pit, with a few minuscule differences. Duck Hunt Dog is one of the characters that I didn't want in at all, and Bowser Jr., while an interesting idea, is just something I don't like. Like Rosalina, I feel that Nintendo is trying to shove the Koopalings down our throats to try and make us like them, putting them in every game possible. Rosalina has been in most every Mario game since Galaxy, and the Koopalings show up a bunch as villains in recent games. They all appeared in Mario Kart 8, and now they're all in Smash.

And on top of all this, Wolf, Lucas, ICs, and Snake all got cut, all of which I enjoyed immensely in Brawl. Mewtwo also remained in the cuts, which is pretty ridiculous. On top of that, deserving characters like Ridley, King K. Rool, and Isaac got the shaft. In conclusion, I guess you could say that I'm not very happy at all.

J-Biz

Smash Rookie
It's an amazing roster, and we were spoiled by how much we knew before today. Had today been the first time we were seeing Palutena, Shulk, Robin and Mega Man for example, I think we would feel very differently about the roster as a whole as we'd still be buzzing from the discoveries.

As far as clones go,
64 had 12 Fighters and 1 Clone - 11 Unique Fighters
Melee had 26 Fighters and 7 Clones - 19 Unique Fighters
Brawl had 39 Fighters and 6 Clones - 33 Unique Fighters
WiiU/3DS has 51 Fighters and 7 Clones - 44 Unique Fighters

Yes we lost Wolf, Lucas, Ice Climbers and Snake, and yes Mewtwo didn't return. But we always focus on the negatives instead of appreciating how far the series has come. The 4th Smash game has 4 times more unique fighters than the original had, and we don't even know at this point how diverse the clone characters get with their custom move sets.

Last edited:

Ursaguy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7859-2409
Cut veterans that mean anything to me: Ice Climbers, Snake
Everybody else was just a clone. The outrage of replacing your favorite clone with a clone you've never played is hypocritical to say the least. I will miss Snake, but I realized going in that his removal was pretty much inevitable. Ice Climbers loss hurt. I really enjoyed playing them.

Added newcomers that mean anything to me: Little Mac, DHD, Greninja, Shulk
I expected 2 of them to get in, so the add of DHD and Ninja are huge surprises to me. Great surprises. I can see myself using all four of these guys very often.

So it's a fair net gain from Brawl, which was about even with Meele's roster, which crushed N64 roster into oblivion, I'm spurious as to how somebody can say the lack of a character every other game lacked makes the roster worse. Thins is the best to date.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Well yes, yes it does. It's missing some veterans I would love back (Mewtwo, Lucas, Ice Climbers, etc.) but it's still got so many great newcomers.

Marakatu

Smash Ace
YES!
OH MY GOD, YES! THIS IS THE THE BEST ROSTER EVER!
I MEAN, LOOK AT THE NEWCOMERS:

Oh, you are talk about Sm4sh. So hell no.

ShyKChan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shyflutters18
3DS FC
0662-3508-3411
I know I'm feeling a little disappointed now, but sooner or later I'll come to love the roster for what it is.

There are improvements from Brawl, which I appreciate. Hell, I'm liking 13 out of the 15 newcomers. That's not bad at all! Only 2 newcomers (1 is a clone) are leaving a bad, salty, taste in my mouth. I need to accept the fact that they're in. Nothing I can do about it.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I think most people are basing their disappointment on the unlockable newcomers and judging the whole roster on that. Yeah Duck Hunt, Dark Pit, and Bowser Jr. are a pretty lackluster way to end the roster. But there's no way you can look back on our journey, the Megaman, the Rosalina, the Little Mac, the Palutena, Miis, Pacman, the Robins, and Shulk, and say that this is a roster that no one wanted. These were all popularly requested characters, one way or another.

Shog

Smash Ace
I like anybody except Mii fighters because of no Nintendo-Allstar (and Hitler Miis . . .)
oh and Dark Pit because he is as bad as Luigi in 64...and we are in year 2014 folks

Marcusjll

Smash Cadet
I guess so… but seriously, after Megaman, Ridley, Mewtwo and K. Rool were the most wanted characters in the West and none of them are here! It baffles me. I know Little Mac and Palutena were close, but still… I do agree with some others that we're getting some when the Wii U version is here.

Alos, re-used sound files for some characters and clones, including Ganondorf, just seems a bit lazy to me.

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I'm salty about what happened today, but I'm not going to deny it. This is the best Sm4sh roster so far. It's just...missing things. Like, it has this large gaping hole in it...

:cry:

Top Bottom