• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Roster?

Does Smash 4 have the best smash roster?

• Total voters

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
It's an okay roster, and I'm still getting the game, but it can't be the best when there's so much wasted and untapped potential. Even Wolf and Lucas had charm and uniqueness to them that these new clones just can't match.

I'm sure I'll grow to at least tolerate a lot of the additions that I hate right now, and Jr. and DHD both look like fun, but it does feel like there's a definite overbalance of humanoids and sword/fighters compared to the monsters and cartoony characters that Nintendo is famous for. The clones don't help this feeling at all.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Yep, not like popular characters ever got into smash. *Cough*Pacman, Palutena, Little mac, Megaman, Bowser jr., sonic, and Duck hunt dog*Cough*

Little mac also was only popular in the west. Your point?
My point wasn't that. It was that the polls weren't the sole deciding factor of the roster.

Adeptmune

Smash Apprentice
No, I don't think this is the best roster.

I don't find this roster very appealing overall.

I mean, I'm going to main Villager and probably DHD since I think they're clever, but...
The cuts from the roster for this game were appalling. Lucas? Wolf? ICE CLIMBERS? Seriously, Ice Climbers? Talk about awful-- Smash was honestly the only thing that the Ice Climbers had to keep them alive in gaming, and now they've been cut. Even though I never used them, I honestly really liked Nana and Popo, and it's sad to see them gone (at least for now).

If a franchise has a certain amount of reps in one iteration of Smash, that franchise should keep that number of reps or raise the number of reps, since it clearly deserves that amount of representation.
Like StarFox-- if it was worthy enough to have three roster slots in Brawl, there's no reason it should have only two in Sm4sh, ESPECIALLY when a new StarFox game is coming out next year.

The Nintendo newcomers that we got don't really justify the cuts for me. Some of them were great/popular (Robin, Palutena, Shulk), some of them were out of left field (DHD, Villager), and some of them were just downright stupid (Dark Pit. Just. Dark Pit).
But even though some of the newcomers were popular, there are plenty of other popular characters that I believe deserve a spot more than them (even though I have no personal feelings towards most of them), such as Ridley, K. Rool, Dixie, Isaac(the only one I seriously care about in this list), or Mewtwo (though I do think Pokemon would've become oversaturated like the Mario franchise if Mewtwo was included with all the other Pokemon we got).

Even though I'm personally not a big fan of Donkey Kong (I never have been, sorry ;; ), I do think it needed another representative in this game. Mario got three more reps (Rosalina, Dr Mario, and Bowser Jr), Kid Icarus got two, and DK got...none? Nothing? At all? Really?
But thank goodness for having an edgier Pit on the roster in his own slot, because that was incredibly necessary. [/s]
And that Falcondorf-- it's not like Ganondorf deserves his own unique moveset, or anything. [/s]

I think Nintendo needed to add more new franchises to the list. The first one that comes to my mind is (obviously) Golden Sun, but Rhythm Heaven or something else too that is currently escaping my mind. I don't know. It just seems to really be lacking in that area.

The 3rd party additions were great, though, if not a little predictable. I'm not surprised Snake was cut, though I feel bad for the Snake fans.
I'm happy Megaman and Pacman made it in and I'm glad that Sonic is back (even though I don't really care for Sonic, either). So, the third-party side of Sm4sh seems pretty good.

Anyway, whatevevr saltiness I had aside, I don't think this roster was nearly as good as it could've been. I don't think it represents Nintendo as a whole as well as it could have. However, Sm4sh's gameplay seems much better than Brawl's, and for that, I am grateful.
Maybe I'll warm up to it in time, but right now, I have a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth.

D

Deleted member

My point wasn't that. It was that the polls weren't the sole deciding factor of the roster.
Ah, but Ridley's popularity isn't just decided by poles. If he wasn't so popular in the west, then we wouldn't even be talking about him right now. But yes, popularity doesn't always give you a spot.

But anyway, it's best to drop the Ridley talk in this thread(This statement isn't directed towards anyone specific.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm not too sure. Solely on the merit that it has the most characters it could be seen as that. And I do like most of the new characters. But of course, many people are allowed to like and dislike whatever. I can only hope people do so in a classy way. Not that actually happen like that for everyone.

RazorsawTF

Smash Cadet
Smash was honestly the only thing that the Ice Climbers had to keep them alive in gaming, and now they've been cut.
honestly that should give you some sense of awareness about maybe WHY they were removed.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Ah yes, the polls. Because EVERYONE knows Skull Kid got into Brawl. If not for the polls, we would've never gotten such choices as R.O.B., Greninja, Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt Dog, Ness, and, of course, the most requested characters for Melee, the Fire Emblem boys.

Look, I'm not saying "Appreciate Sakurai, you ****stain". Far from that. I'm saying you're attacking a man over a character in a game. It's not "You must love Sakurai, he does every thing right", it's "You mustn't be sending death threats to Sakurai because he didn't choose a character". Also, do remember that Doc, Lucina and Dark Pit were last-minute additions. They were (supposedly) alternate costumes that got upgraded for a bigger roster. And yet, there's still a semi-reliable "rumor" going around with some Wii U on-disc characters that'll be released for 3DS DLC around SSBU's launch including Ridley.

I'm done, you can continue on hating. I certainly won't care, I got characters who are fun to play as.
I got characters who are fun to play as too, not as fun as Ridley would've been, though, I'm excited for Rosalina, Mario, Little Mac, Pit, Bowser, Villager, Megaman, Palutena, Mii Fighters, Pac-Man, Sonic, Duck Hunt Dog, Wendy O. Koopa and Olimar/Alph, but none of them are Ridley, that's my whole problem.

And I don't care about that rumor, Ridley not being on the game from the start still counts as a complete disgrace, and if he does make it in for the Wii U patch, then it'll be an even bigger spit on the face. And I'm not saying senseless choices like Skull Kid or Geno should make it, but Ridley and K.Rool are definitely elligible, especially if they're so requested. Also, who cares about oddball choices, we already got enough with this damn game.
Are you kidding me?

Dr. Mario has had multiple spin offs and a variation in every generation of gaming. It's considered one of the greatest puzzle games of all time. It's his third most popular spin off title short of Mario Kart and Mario Party. Paper Mario is successful but not nearly as much so as Dr. Mario.

he's by far the most recurring villain, but he's not the main villain. He's answered to multiple characters over his tenure. Dark Samus and Mother Brain have both commanded him.

I'm not selling Ridley short, but you need to be aware of his actual position in things.
Dr. Mario's still a stupid, hardly-relevant spin-off...it certainly doesn't deserve a character when Pokemon Mystery Dungeon can't even get represented on the game. Not even with some awesome music.
Still you knew there was a chance that he was not going to be playable you guys took that chance and lost, you guys jump the gun. And you calling me a detractor for believing in what I saw, get over yourself you act like everyone wanted Ridley in smash he was only popular in the west and not everyone in the west wanted him.
I go by the philosophy that every non-supporter's a detractor, you either want Ridley, or you're the enemy, like I said, no greys.

Last edited:

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
Yep, not like popular characters ever got into smash. *Cough*Pacman, Palutena, Little mac, Megaman, Bowser jr., sonic, and Duck hunt dog*Cough*

Little mac also was only popular in the west. Your point?

Anyway, maybe I would be happier with the roster if some characters went unrevealed.
But Little Mac is a Retro character Ridley is not.

RazorsawTF

Smash Cadet
Dr. Mario's still a stupid, hardly-relevant spin-off...it certainly doesn't deserve a character when Pokemon Mystery Dungeon can't even get represented on the game.
right. and the fact they keep remaking it while Metroid is effectively stillborn means nothing I suppose.

And PMD? Really? Who the heck are they gonna pick to represent that? The game is based on multiple character choice. Not even your partner is the same character every time. Pikachu HIMSELF is effectively a PMD representative, more or less.

D

Deleted member

But Little Mac is a Retro character Ridley is not.
Then why is he using his 2009 design?:estatic:

Seriously though, why should that guarantee him a spot? We already have a lot of retro characters, so he's nothing special in that case. And on the other hand, we technically only have three villains. And isn't 1986 retro?

DecaHibiki

Smash Apprentice
Its Good but there are innecesary cuts, IC, Wolf, Lucas, Missing mewtwo, dont care about mayority fan's opinions (ridley, Isaac, the villian of DK/ Trixie, takamaru, etc..) Adding Clones that could be Skins (Dark Pit /The worst clone here/, Dr. Mario and Lucina) like Alph and Jr. Their skins are totally others characters... 6/10 to the roster

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I'll be honest since I've cooled down a little, but I still think the lack of Ridley greatly diminishes this game's quality and merit.
I'd give this roster a 5/10 or 6/10 at best, even though we got some extremely deserving reps that we might've not gotten under other circumstances, like Rosalina, Palutena, Villager, Little Mac, Robin, Lucina, Pac-Man, Megaman, Bowser Jr., Mii Fighters...

It's missing extreme fan-favorites who were some of the most-requested characters of the series, probably since Melee, the lack of Ridley's a disgrace to the entire Smash and Metroid fanbase, as he was arguably the most deserving and long-overdue newcomer, and one of the most wanted characters on the west, the lack of a DK newcomer, Mewtwo and some questionable cuts (Ivysaur and Snake, Wolf and Lucas never deserved it in the first place). Also, the terrible Dr. Mario and Dark Pit clones are almost as disgusting as Pichu/Young Link from Melee...almost.

Overall, a ****ty roster that supports itself on some brilliant character choices, but it ultimately falls victim to the glaring holes and the things it shouldn't be missing, but does. If the Wii U DLC rumor's true, then there's a good chance this roster could get knocked up to an 8/10 or even a 9/10...it'll never be a 10/10 because Dr. Mario and Dark Pit exist, though, especially Dr. Mario, why does a ****ty spinoff that's not even memorable deserve a character?
right. and the fact they keep remaking it while Metroid is effectively stillborn means nothing I suppose.

And PMD? Really? Who the heck are they gonna pick to represent that? The game is based on multiple character choice. Not even your partner is the same character every time. Pikachu HIMSELF is effectively a PMD representative, more or less.
You say that Dr. Mario stuff like it's a good thing, Metroid's better than Dr. Mario, that's a fact.
Yeah, but we don't even get scarf Pikachu to represent PMD, oh, and, Grovyle, there goes your answer.

Last edited:

Captain Soviet

Smash Apprentice
I'd just like to speak up and say that not every Ridley supporter is as...passionate...as D-idara. I'm miffed at Ridley's exclusion too, but my anger at Sakurai comes from how he handled the fanbase, not directly (bluntly naming the character and role) his NPC role, something he did whenever he chose to address other NPCs in Smash. That narration/caption about boss characters on other stages could have happened over the Yellow Devil fight, or even just a Beta stage select screen. He chose to feature a partial Ridley tail/shadow, and yet treat Ridley unlike every other character. That knocked half a point of the roster, community relations.

Also, to those who are 100% happy with this roster, that's awesome, more power to you, wish I could be loving the game as much as you, but don't go off saying that "nobody should be disappointed" . That's just disrespectful towards other opinions. Not cool.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
Warning Received
I got characters who are fun to play as too, not as fun as Ridley would've been, though, I'm excited for Rosalina, Mario, Little Mac, Pit, Bowser, Villager, Megaman, Palutena, Mii Fighters, Pac-Man, Sonic, Duck Hunt Dog, Wendy O. Koopa and Olimar/Alph, but none of them are Ridley, that's my whole problem.

And I don't care about that rumor, Ridley not being on the game from the start still counts as a complete disgrace, and if he does make it in for the Wii U patch, then it'll be an even bigger spit on the face. And I'm not saying senseless choices like Skull Kid or Geno should make it, but Ridley and K.Rool are definitely elligible, especially if they're so requested. Also, who cares about oddball choices, we already got enough with this damn game.

Dr. Mario's still a stupid, hardly-relevant spin-off...it certainly doesn't deserve a character when Pokemon Mystery Dungeon can't even get represented on the game. Not even with some awesome music.

I go by the philosophy that every non-supporter's a detractor, you either want Ridley, or you're the enemy, like I said, no greys.
That why you guys get so many detractors, so I'm a detractor because I don't want Ridley 100%? That **** rude people like you give Ridley supporters a bad name, you come off as cocky and act like Sakurai owe you something, and acting like a ***** to anyone that don't want Ridley 100% or don't care if he is in or not is not going to help you guys image.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Warning Received
I'd just like to speak up and say that not every Ridley supporter is as...passionate...as D-idara. I'm miffed at Ridley's exclusion too, but my anger at Sakurai comes from how he handled the fanbase, not directly (bluntly naming the character and role) his NPC role, something he did whenever he chose to address other NPCs in Smash. That narration/caption about boss characters on other stages could have happened over the Yellow Devil fight, or even just a Beta stage select screen. He chose to feature a partial Ridley tail/shadow, and yet treat Ridley unlike every other character. That knocked half a point of the roster, community relations.

Also, to those who are 100% happy with this roster, that's awesome, more power to you, wish I could be loving the game as much as you, but don't go off saying that "nobody should be disappointed" . That's just disrespectful towards other opinions. Not cool.
Yeah, that's a little enraging, when people try to scold supporters of actually-decent characters for being dissapointed when there's all the reason to be dissapointed, anyone's free to hope whatever they want for the roster and they're also free to state their opinion on how they think the roster's lackluster, or outright sucks, without being scolded.
That why you guys get so many detractors, so I'm a detractor because I don't want Ridley 100%? That **** rude people like you give Ridley supporters a bad name, you come off as cocky and act like Sakurai owe you something, and acting like a ***** to anyone that don't want Ridley 100% or don't care if he is in or not is not going to help you guys image.
We get so many detractors because people aren't smart, don't like good character choices, or probably have only played Metroid Prime and think Dark Samus has a major role in Metroid. You might try to stop insulting me directly, please? I've only stated what I believe, that all non-supporters should be considered againist Ridley's inclusion, not because of the character, but because of failing to understand that the fanbase deserves the character for what we have gone through for 10+ years.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If you didn't think he was in and think it's foolish to believe he was, then you are a detractor, period.

RazorsawTF

Smash Cadet
You say that Dr. Mario stuff like it's a good thing, Metroid's better than Dr. Mario, that's a fact.
Your point was that no one remembers it. Then why, pray tell, does it keep selling? Why do they keep making new versions of Doctor Mario? You expect me to believe that Nintendo is effectively throwing money down a drain?

But fine, if you don't believe that, how's about this? Dr. Mario sold over 4 million COLLECTIVELY on the NES and Game Boy in North America alone and roughly 2 million each, which is more than the original Metroid's 1 million.

That narration/caption about boss characters on other stages could have happened over the Yellow Devil fight, or even just a Beta stage select screen. He chose to feature a partial Ridley tail/shadow, and yet treat Ridley unlike every other character.
If you ask me, when teasing a character after talking about a boss character, and discussing other boss characters, it's far more likely he is teasing him as a boss than anything else.

D

Deleted member

When did he call anyone foolish for believing Ridley was in?
I understand that you'er mad, Ridley was decomfirmed earlier you guy just keep hyping yourself up sakurai show so many time that he was a stage boss but you guys didn't believe it so guys are mad over you own hype, stop crying over a character that you drum up in your own mind to be playable. Smash is not a popularity contest get over it.
Indirectly, of course.

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
I think it's the best because it kept all of the characters from the previous iterations that I liked while also adding a lot of characters I'm actually considering maining. I think Rosalina is the only newcomer that isn't one I want to use, but she's still very interesting. Plus Little Mac and Megaman. Come on.

Sure there are a couple of characters I would have still liked to get in, but I can't deny how awesome and diverse this roster is.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Indirectly, of course.
Even as a Ridley supporter, all I see him saying is that D-idara is whining over a character that he (she?) believes needed to be in despite nothing really suggesting Ridley was going to be playable. And he's right. If he outright said D-idara was foolish for believing in Ridley then I would agree with you, but he's just saying that D-idara can't really blame anyone else over his/her upset. I mean, he could have phrased it better, but still.

D

Deleted member

despite nothing really suggesting Ridley was going to be playable.
Which would make the choice foolish in his opinion. I worded my original sentence wrong.(I edited now though.) But their were definitely things suggesting that Ridley was.

Dudemaster47

Smash Cadet
Honestly, I like the roster. Even the newcomers I hadn't ever expected, cared about, or even liked were handled pretty brilliantly and they all look amazing and fun as hell. But yeah, I'm disappointed that Ridley's not in, and I'm disappointed about the fact that Ridley was handled bizarrely as a stage boss or even just as a deconfirmation, because every other one has been handled directly while for Ridley we got a few references to him and a shadow without even so much as mentioning his name. If he wasn't playable, I'd rather have had it outright stated in April to get it over with instead of the months of speculation just to end in disappointment.

I am...underwhelmed by the clones though. Not so much because of them taking up roster slots, but...Dr. Mario and Dark Pit feel like lazy choices when it comes to clones, and they both add characters to two series that honestly didn't need the extra characters (I still think that Lucina being a Marth clone was hilariously fitting, so no complaints there). I'd rather that we got clones that actually beefed up the reps in underrepped series (if only because it would be an acknowledgement that said series are underrepped), and/or had potential to be a bit less clone-y in future Smash games. Instead we got...Mario wearing a doctor's outfit, and a recolored Pit.

And I'm a little bummed about the loss of Ice Climbers, Wolf, and Lucas. Not so much Snake or PT (when the mention of cuts came up, those two seemed like they'd probably be the first to go anyway, with how the Metal Gear Solid series seems to stick to non-Nintendo consoles, and just the 3-in-1 nature of PT in general), but...yeah.

...But on the plus side, I got Mega Man. And for that, I'm hella hyped.

Werner Herzog

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jack_Sjunior
3DS FC
1864-9302-8583
NEWCOMERS (with entirely new playstyles/movesets): Mega Man, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina, Little Mac, Greninja, Palutena, Pac-Man, Robin, Shulk, Bowser Jr, Duck Hunt Dog

Okay. Imagine that Posts of the day had never happened and you were seeing this list for the first time. Forget about your missing favorite or most requested character - I'll get to that in a minute - and look purely at these additions. It is a list that spans 30 years of Nintendo history, includes (from the average person's perspective) perhaps the two most iconic non-Nintendo video game characters of all time, incorporates SEVEN series that previously had no playable representation in Smash, and on top of all this it honors every single inclusion with an extraordinary amount of lovingly accurate detail. AS A BONUS, it brings back a character that was cut in Brawl after being loved by many in Melee. AS ANOTHER BONUS, it successfully implements Miis with three different movesets. AS AN EVEN FURTHER BONUS, it adds customization options for every single character in the game. OH, ALSO, EIGHT MORE CHARACTERS ARE IN THE GAME AS ALTERNATE COSTUMES. ALSO, three of the newcomers have both genders available. ALSO, the number of alternate outfits/color palettes for everybody has doubled.
The price we pay? The loss of two unique characters, one of which (I'll be harshly honest) comes from a series comprised of one game released decades ago. The other, like it or not, has been represented FAR more on competing consoles since the 90s and has a new game coming out on everything BUT Nintendo platforms.
Also, two clones have been replaced by two more modern clones.

Ridley, Isaac and Dixie were my most wanted newcomers, and they are not in this game. I loved playing as Snake and Ice Climbers, and now they are gone. Wolf and Lucas are great characters too. I still miss Mewtwo. This roster makes me sad.

This roster is also a complete triumph. There can be no question: it is objectively, beyond any shadow of doubt, the best Smash Bros. roster. It is entirely laughable and selfish to suggest otherwise. The number of optional playstyles and amount of fanservice contained in these two (TWO!) Smash Bros. games dwarfs any previous entry by a considerable margin. Sakurai never owed us anything. He created this series, and this particular game, and is not beholden to our wishes. He granted us TONS of them anyway. We have been utterly spoiled by a hype train that has lasted over a year and expectations that nobody could ever possibly meet. It is time to face the music, and what glorious music indeed. I simply cannot wait to play this game.

Plus, DLC is inevitable.

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
This is by far the most dissapointed I've been about Smash roster in the series.

Far, far too many cut content, missing veterans, lost opportunities, Sakurai knew what we wanted but I felt like he was too busy going "lol curveball" instead of just throwing in characters he wanted in.

New Brawl, alot of the newcomers I didn't actually like, but because the roster was big and meaty, I grew to like them! Most of the cuts were of clones, or had a reasonable excuse. You can say what you want about Brawl mechanics, but it had the most diverse moveset of all that Samsh brothers.

Smash 4 on the other hand, so many of the characters feel extremely generic or are just straight up clones to one we already have! We've lost some of the most popular and unique veterans (Ice climbers, Snake, Mewtwo.) and gotten generic characters to replace them!

And the clones, don't even get me started with the clones! There are so many f**king clones! Ganondof is still a falcon clone! Dr Mario, Luchina, Toon link, Dark pit, Falco, hell I've even heard rumours the BOWSER JR of all characters shares a move set with other characters!

And F**k Mii's

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
Yeah, that's a little enraging, when people try to scold supporters of actually-decent characters for being dissapointed when there's all the reason to be dissapointed, anyone's free to hope whatever they want for the roster and they're also free to state their opinion on how they think the roster's lackluster, or outright sucks, without being scolded.

We get so many detractors because people aren't smart, don't like good character choices, or probably have only played Metroid Prime and think Dark Samus has a major role in Metroid. You might try to stop insulting me directly, please? I've only stated what I believe, that all non-supporters should be considered againist Ridley's inclusion, not because of the character, but because of failing to understand that the fanbase deserves the character for what we have gone through for 10+ years.
If you didn't think he was in and think it's foolish to believe he was, then you are a detractor, period.
All I say you guys shouldn't be so surprise if Ridley didn't make it into the game, you had a 50/50% chance of Ridley getting in smash. You guys knew the chances and took them, not everyone is going to jump on the hype train, It can end good or Bad. At the end of the day it's Sakurai's game he can put who ever he want and it's up to you to buy it or don't buy it.

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
Overall I would rate the roster... possibly somewhere between a 7.5 and 8/10. I'm not a big fan of the cuts that happened in this game, though at the same time of the ones cut I only particularly care about playing as two of them. The newcomers for the most part are entertaining and unique, and of the characters I wanted who had a remote chance, I wound up getting most of them. The pros outweigh the cons by a noticeable amount. And I'm quite happy to have what I have out of the roster.

D

Deleted member

All I say you guys shouldn't be so surprise if Ridley didn't make it into the game, you had a 50/50% chance of Ridley getting in smash. You guys knew the chances and took them, not everyone is going to jump on the hype train, It can end good or Bad. At the end of the day it's Sakurai's game he can put who ever he want and it's up to you to buy it or don't buy it.
Fair enough, the problem is no one knew the exact chances, we all rated it differently. As you said yourself, some of us were too hyped. Still though, I was 50/50 on him today and I'm still disappointed. So that wouldn't stop some members from getting mad. Let's stop right here, we really derailed this thread.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
And I hope to god I'm wrong, but last time people laughed at me being wrong, turned out I was right.
I caught a demonstration of his moves and want to share it with you to get your opinion on it. I think he's turned out to be a unique addition. Ignore the terrible commentary: http://youtu.be/gVd_qn2qPoA

As for the roster, I said no. I liked SSB64's excellent Street Fighter II grade roster more, wherein there was only one semi-clone and the rest were original fighters.

El_Duderino

Smash Apprentice
For me to consider it "the best" roster, it would have to have a bunch of Rareware characters on it which we all know they're never going to deliver. So with that being an unattainable ideal, I could only hope it would be a great roster.

Unfortunately, it's lacking the characters I wanted to see added. My excitement for it hinges on the slim possibility of DLC, and the slimmer possibility that said DLC will somehow override a gimmicky game mechanic which they are trying to push. Therefore I cannot call it the best, or great. Despite its huge size, it is...acceptable. I'm sure it's going to please a lot of people greatly, but I don't rank among them.

Ravengeance

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ravengeance
I know Mewtwo is a well liked character but I honestly feel like Project M is cheating Smash 4 somewhat. I always preferred mewtwo over lucario but I got over it playing brawl bc it was still fun. Yeah characters like duck hunt dog and dark pit and wii fit trainer don't seem to be that much desired. But let me put it this way, most games that have 12 characters when they have a sequel they have like between 13 and 16 characters. You get at least one but at most a handful of new characters. Granted to be fair usually characters don't get cut in fighting game sequels. But compared to most fighting games out there smash has a huge roster. As far as 3rd party characters go, most fighting games have none. Some have 1 or 2. Although I too am disappointed with some of the cuts and dislike some of the additions I still like most of the roster.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I will admit that Brawl had the best batch of newcomers, but Smash 4 has my personal favorite bunch.
Apparently liking the roster makes me selfish. No lie, my most wanted characters were Rosalina, Palutena, Lucina, and Shulk. I didn't even know I wanted Robin and I absolutely love that he's here. Yeah the lack of Anna, Bandanna Dee, and Rayman is disappointing, but with such a winning streak I'm having with my roster wishlist, I can't even complain.
The roster is great to me. Ice Climbers and Lucas would've made this roster fantastic, but I still love it.
And if that Wii U connect rumor is true, it'll definitely be something to look forward to.
Overall I'm positive. If I needed to give it a rating, it'd be 8.5/10. The cuts perhaps cut too deep but it's still great.

Thor_Hammerschlag

Smash Cadet
I wanted to buy a WiiU just to play the game. But with the current roster there is no reason to get it.

Brawl was compareable, but i still bought the Wii to play the game. However i mained the same chars as in melee and the game got boring quickly. Not worth 300+ €.

Maybe its ridley maybe im just to old to play games with someone like the "villager". I dont know, the game is just Not worth 300+ € again.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I will admit that Brawl had the best batch of newcomers, but Smash 4 has my personal favorite bunch.
Apparently liking the roster makes me selfish. No lie, my most wanted characters were Rosalina, Palutena, Lucina, and Shulk. I didn't even know I wanted Robin and I absolutely love that he's here. Yeah the lack of Anna, Bandanna Dee, and Rayman is disappointing, but with such a winning streak I'm having with my roster wishlist, I can't even complain.
The roster is great to me. Ice Climbers and Lucas would've made this roster fantastic, but I still love it.
And if that Wii U connect rumor is true, it'll definitely be something to look forward to.
Overall I'm positive. If I needed to give it a rating, it'd be 8.5/10. The cuts perhaps cut too deep but it's still great.
Liking it doesnt make you selfish I mean you did admit Brawls roster was better, enjoying it is a whole other issue.

Top Bottom