• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ZSS board IRC - Under New Management!

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Why would you type 'ctrl+v' if you want to write pi?
So that I could transfer it from my clipboard to the field. Seriously, if you want to say you're a nerd, learn some computer basics.

You just don't understand how it is to be on a boat, have fun being arrested for animal cruelty while you shoot them down with your phazorz and lazorz and missiles n stuff
Oh look, Xonar thinks he's a troll.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
So that I could transfer it from my clipboard to the field. Seriously, if you want to say you're a nerd, learn some computer basics.

Oh look, Xonar thinks he's a troll.
ph00tbag. He continues fights from 3 months ago.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Lol was that even a fight xd

I'm still laughing at it, especially because you take me so serious phootbag, which I would appreciate if I wasn't so blatantly being an idiot xd

noradseven

Smash Lord
If you want to say your a nerd you know the alt codes, alt-227 :D
, or the option button combos for macs, option-P

π π π π π π π π π π π π π π π π π π π π π π π π π π

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Lol was that even a fight xd

I'm still laughing at it, especially because you take me so serious phootbag, which I would appreciate if I wasn't so blatantly being an idiot xd
Who said I ever took you serious? I wanted to see how long you'd make a fool out of yourself.

You didn't disappoint.

Zero

Smash Hero
I wrote this guide for Australia Smash but it's easily adaptable for this. Just replace all the server references with irc.globalgamers.net and the channel references with #zss.

How to set up IRC

Table of Contents

• 1. Introduction
    • 1.1. Details
    • 1.2. Clients
  • 2. The Guide
    • 2.1. Installation and Setup
      • 2.1.1. mIRC
        • 2.1.1.1. Installation
        • 2.1.1.2. User details
        • 2.1.1.3. Server details
        • 2.1.1.4. Other details
        • 2.1.1.5. Channel details
      • 2.1.2. Chatzilla
        • 2.1.2.1. Installation
        • 2.1.2.2. User details
        • 2.1.2.3. Connect details
        • 2.1.2.4. Other details
      • 2.1.3. Mibbit
    • 2.2. Registering your nickname and identifying
  • 3. End and FAQ

1. Introduction

IRC (Internet Relay Chat) provides a way of communicating in real time with people from all over the world. It doesn't possess extraneous features such as display pictures, nudges and social networking links and instead focuses on the important: unhindered instant communication with thousands of people around the Earth and Moon. We, here on the Australia boards have been using IRC to communicate for almost a year now and we would like to see you with us! So I write this guide in the hopes that it will help you overcome the one intimidating barrier: ****ing IRC, how does it work?

1.1. Details

This is for the users who have a confident understanding of IRC already and just want to connect to our channel.

Code:
Server - irc.rizon.net
Channel - #ausmash
1.2. Clients

The IRC protocol requires a client to connect to the servers to chat. There are thousands of different clients around, but in this guide we will only cover a few. The most popular clients around are:

• Windows:
    • mIRC - The most popular client for Windows. It features a fully customisable graphical user interface, Direct to Client Connections for file sharing and truly private messaging, multiple servers and is backed by a powerful and functional scripting engine. This is the recommended client to use and will be the main topic of this guide. Please note that mIRC is not free software, although the trial version lasts for an indefinite period of time. It is highly recommended that you purchase this software if you find it useful. (Or you could compete for the highest number of days used without a license, lots of us are in the thousands :D )
    • Xchat - Another popular IRC client, this guide will not explain the use of Xchat. It is interesting to note that Xchat for Windows is not free software, but Xchat for Linux is open source.
  • OSX
    • Colloquy - A free, lightweight IRC client. Recommended for novice users. Not covered in this guide. Any users are welcome to construct a section for it.
  • Linux
    • Xchat - A free graphical IRC client. Will not be covered in the guide.
    • ircii - A command line IRC client. The recommended client for Linux users :)
  • Other/All
    • Mibbit - An AJAX web browser IRC client. Mibbit is fantasitc in the sense of compatibility - it will run on any platform with a web browser. This includes your PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, mobile phones (assuming they support AJAX) and every operating system. This will be covered in the guide.
    • Pidgin - A multi-protocol instant messaging client, which supports MSN, AIM and IRC, among a various list of others. Recommended for non-power users. However, it will not be covered extensively in the guide.
    • Chatzilla - A Firefox extension which enables built in IRC with Firefox. Since Chatzilla is very popular with the users of our channel, I will cover it in the guide.

2.1. Installation

2.1.1. mIRC

2.1.1.1. Installation
The most valuable advice that I could give you in this guide is which version of mIRC to download. There have been a high number of reports of copies of mIRC v6.35 locking trial users out after a random number of days after the trial period. Evidently this is a new feature of this version. v6.34 does not lock you out ever. So for this reason, I provide a download link for mIRC v6.34 here.

http://www.nnscript.com/index.php?section=download

Note for current users:: If you are currently using v6.35 and are locked out, or fear being locked out, downgrading to v6.34 will solve your problem/prevent you from being locked out.

I'll also point out that I can only claim that the downgrade works through my own experience and the testimonials of only a few people. It is not guaranteed nor proven. Take this advice with caution.

So on with the installation.

When you open the mirc634.exe program [and allow it with your UAC] the installation process begins. Continue pressing "Next" and "I agree" until you reach the directory screen.

This is where you can choose the directory in which your program is installed. If you wish to install it onto a USB so you can run mIRC at school/work, then follow the following instructions:

• Plug in a USB device into the USB ports of your computer/keyboard/toaster.
  • Wait for your computer to mount it.
  • Click on "Browse", then on "My Computer"
  • Click on the drive that you want it to be installed on.
  • Click "OK" on the install screen to continue with the installation

I don't hold any responsibility for any loss of productivity involved with using IRC at your place of education or employment. Self control is vital.

Most users will be fine with installing it in the default folder. Click "OK" to proceed.

Afterwards, make sure the "Installation Type" is set to "Full", then proceed to install.

Configure your installation options. I recommend unticking "Add Desktop Shortcut" and "Automatically Check for Updates". mIRC won't ever force you to update, but every time you open the program without unchecking that option, it will prompt you to update. So for the sake of unobtrusiveness, uncheck that box.

Click "Next" and watch the bar compete... You have now successfully installed mIRC! Time to set it up.

2.1.1.2. User details

Once you open up mIRC, you will be greeted by the two following screens.

Unless you're $20 too rich, get used to them. Wait the few moments for the "Continue" boxes to enable themselves and continue to the program.

Note: Every now and then, mIRC will open a tab in your browser to "www.mirc.com" and encourage you to buy the software. This is not a virus or bug, just close it and move on.

Until you disable it, every time you open mIRC, you will be greeted with this splash:

A good way to explain the contents of this screen is through an example.

( ? ) ( whois: Andreww )
**|
**|—————————— —— —
**| Host: ( ~m@rth.prince.of.Altea )
**| Realname: ( Tohsaka Rin )
**|—————————— —— —
*| Channels : ~#ausmash ~#fsn #AnimeUNSW #losslessONE #thisisgaming
|*****************( 5 ) channels, of which ( 5 ) are common
|—————————— —— —
*| Server: ( irc.sxci.net ) ( From the darkest part of the world... )
**| NickServ: ( Andreww is registered )
**| HelpOp: ( is available )
**| Realhost: ( is ) ( actually ~m@you don't need to see this :) )
**| Idle: ( 2mins 40secs ) (signed on Sun Jun 13 10:24:07 2010 )
**| Signed on: ( 2hrs 17mins 48secs )
**•—————————— —— —
The real name you see here is the exact same as the one you enter into the "Real Name" box. You can enter whatever you want and it is recommend that you do NOT put your real name there.

The email address is used for your host. The first few letters of your email address are appended to your host. The email field does not check whether or not the email address is valid, so you can input junk data, just as I have. (The email address I inputted is simply "m").

Your nickname is the name that everyone who is connected to IRC will see you as. You can make it so your nickname is only accessible by you and I will teach you how to do that in a later section.

The alternate nickname is used if your defined nickname is already connected to the server. If you have registered your nickname, you can "kill" the "ghost" that is using your nickname, but in order to connect back onto the server you need an alternate nickname, which is what this field is for. My alternate nicknames are kaleidoRuby, Bridget, ZeroSuitSamus and Samus. :)

Invisible mode is an advanced feature and I recommend unticking the box.

So that is all we can do from this window. Our next step is configuring the server details.

2.1.1.3. Server details

In the tree bar on the left, you'll see an option called "Servers". Click on this. You will see a long long list of network folders. You are looking for a network named "Rizon". Scroll until you find it and double click on the folder.

You will see a "Random server". Click on it and then click "Select". You will return to the "Connect" branch. Do you notice anything different from the first image? You should see that the "Server" has changed from "Undernet: Random EU server" to "Rizon: Random server". This means that the default server upon opening mIRC is a random server on the Rizon network.

:hipsmile: Whoa! We're halfway there! :hipsmile:

2.1.1.4. Other details

For the sake of efficiency, I've put the "Other Details" segment before the "Channel Details" segment, as the contents of "Other Details" requires the settings window to be open, while the "Channel Details" does not.

The "Other Details" segment helps you set up some miscellaneous options that will make your IRC experience more seamless and less foreign.

• Connect on Startup - Simply named, this allows your client to automatically connect to your default server when you open it. To allow this, click on the "Options" tab underneath the "Connect" tree. You will see a tick box with the description "Connect on Startup". Tick it.

• Show server messages in active window - While you use IRC, there are more than just immediate messages being sent to your client. Other users may be sending you a private message or a client-to-client message. By default, mIRC does not show these to your active window (which will be the channel #ausmash :D), but instead to the server window, which you rarely check, if at all. We need to configure the client to display these messages to your immediate window.

To do that, click on the IRC tab. On the right side of the window, a frame with the heading "Show in active:" contains a list of options. Tick the follow options:
    • CTCP
    • Invite
    • Notice
    • Whois (should be automatically ticked)

• Edit your timestamps to include seconds - A minor exclusion from the default configuration is that timestamps displayed only include hours and minutes. For the sake of appearances I configure mine to include seconds. To do this, go to the "Messages" tab under the IRC tree. Once you are there, you will see a text field and tick box saying "Timestamp Events". Tick the box and type "[HH:mm:ss]" in the field. Incoming and outgoing messages will be stamped by hour, minute and second now.

• Logging - mIRC by default enables logging. If you would like to disable it, click on the "Logging" tab in the IRC tree. There is a dropdown menu with the heading "Automatically log:". Click on the drop down and select "None".
  • Sounds - By default, mIRC beeps every time you get a private message or a message in a channel that is not active (you are not looking at). This can get annoying. To disable them, click on the Sound tab and either disable all sounds by unticking the "Enable Sound" tick box, or configure your settings in the "Beep on message" frame below.

Note: "Beep on buffer" occurs when you are scrolling through previous messages and someone talks. It is a personal preference whether or not you have this on. It is a good idea to keep it on, however.

• Highlights - Highlights are probably the most useful feature of an IRC client. They cause the client to beep or play a predefined sound (a friend had "Hey Listen!" as a highlight once. His advice would be to never ever tell anyone that you have it as a highlight, lest it be abused :p) whenever a phrase (that you define) is said by anyone in the channel. It's comparable to a namesearch, but without the effort and vanity: it's purpose is to alert you if someone is talking to you.

How do I activate this amazing feature? To do so, you must finally exit the Options screen that you have been working through. Click on the Tools menu and you will see an option called the Address Book. This is where you will find the Highlights.

Tools > Address Book

Once you open the Address Book, open the Highlights tab, which is on the far right. You must tick the box "Enable Highlights" if you want it to beep if it finds any defined phrase. Tick it.

Now click on Add. You will be presented with a window. Fill it in with the following settings.

The $me identifier changes to whatever nickname you are currently using. If you want to make your client beep on the text "Potatoes", then type Potatoes into the box.

2.1.1.5. Channel settings

Now your client is mostly set up to auto connect to the Rizon network, to beep whenever your name is said and to show seconds in message timestamps. This is the final step in the journey to join #ausmash: Joining #ausmash. This segment of the guide will show you how to set up your client to join the channel automatically.

First, you must configure your browser to connect to channels automatically on connect. To do this, click on the "Favourites" menu, followed by the "Organise Favourites" option. A popup window will appear, with a tick box at the bottom saying "Enable Join on Connect". Enable this and untick the box above it, titled "Pop up Favourites on Connect". Close the window.

Next, open the Favourites menu again. This time, click on the "Add Favourites" option. Fill the window in with these settings.

To get the correct network, click the "Add" button and find "Rizon".

We are now finished with configuring your client! Click the connect button at the top left and watch your client connect you to the wonderful world of #ausmash!

2.1.2. Chatzilla

2.1.2.1. Installation

Chatzilla is an extension for the Mozilla Firefox web browser. It will not work with Google Chrome, Netscape Opera or Internet Explorer. It is free and compatible with any system running the Firefox browser. It is very simple to install. Visit the following link and click "Download Now". Once it is finished, restart your browser and it is installed!

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/16/

Once it is installed, open Chatzilla by opening the Tools menu and clicking on "Chatzilla".

Tools > Chatzilla

2.1.2.2. User options

To open the Preferences window, open the Chatzilla menu and click "Preferences".

In the first tab, fill in the details under the Identification heading.

In case your chosen nickname is taken at connect time, it is neccesary to choose an alternate nickname. Click on the "Lists" tab and scroll down to the "Nickname lists" heading. Add as many alternates as you wish.

2.1.2.3. Connect options

Chatzilla has a nice feature that auto-executes commands on connect. We can use this to auto connect to the server and channel at the same time.

Simply input the string "irc://irc.rizon.net:6667/#ausmash" into the IRC URL box and it will automatically connect to the right server and channel when Chatzilla loads up.

2.1.3.4. Other options

Chatzilla has a feature called "Stalk Words", which the client treats as Important and will attempt to notify you that they have been said. If you have been reading this guide, then you will notice that they are exactly the same as mIRC's highlights. The Stalk Word list can be found in the "Lists" tab. Note that Chatzilla does not have the $me identifer, but uses $(nick). So if you want the client to notify you whenever someone says your name, add "$(nick)" to your Stalk Words.

You are now ready to chat to your friends in #ausmash!

2.1.3. Mibbit

Mibbit is a purely browser based IRC client. Mibbit has the advantage of being usable on any computer with a web browser. At work or school where the IT dept. doesn't allow USB devices? This is the perfect solution.

www.mibbit.com

To connect to #ausmash via Mibbit, input the following details and click "Go".

You are now chatting with everyone in #ausmash!

2.2. Registering your nickname

Once you have connected to IRC through the client of your choice, you want to make sure no one else can take your nickname, right? Registering is the way you do this. Once you have chosen a nickname that no one else has taken, type the following command into your IRC client.

Code:
/msg NickServ register password email
password is the password that you choose for your nickname. You need this password to "identify" as that nickname.

email is required as Rizon sends you a validation email. Thus, it must be a valid address. Recovery information for your nickname will also be sent to this email address.

If it is successful, you will be prompted for a validation code which is sent to your chosen email address. Paste the command that was sent to your email address and then your nickname is registered!

For mIRC - Remember when you were configuring your server and you saw the "Password" field? Once you have registered your nickname, you now have a password to put in this field. Now your client will automatically identify you on that server as you connect.

For Mibbit - If you click on the "Auth" option as you log in, you can input your password and you will auto identify to your nickname as you connect.

Other - To identify manually, for whatever reason, type the following command

Code:
/msg nickserv identify password
3. End and FAQ

This brings us to the end of our guide for now. I hope that reading through has helped you set up your client and hopefully imbued some familiarity to the concepts of IRC to you. If you have any questions, feel free to post them in the thread, private message me on Smashboards or on IRC. I'm almost always connected as Andreww, but I also sometimes use kaleidoRuby. The bot in #ausmash is named Bridget and I am slowly adding features to it.

Frequently Asked Questions

none

Thanks for reading!

noradseven

Smash Lord
I wrote this guide for Australia Smash but it's easily adaptable for this. Just replace all the server references with irc.globalgamers.net and the channel references with #zss.
this is my guide

for irc

google chatzilla...download install restart

In firefox
tools>chatzilla

type

"/server globalgamers.net"
then type
"/join #ZSS"

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
For anyone wondering how to use this and not wanting to read a mammoth guide, just go to globalgamers.net, click on the chat now tab, type in your name in the name bar and #ZSS in the channel bar and you're good to go.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
I was working on the picture again a few months ago and then i just was like 'FFFFFFFF-' so i stopped. >__>

solecalibur

Smash Master
I guess we can go IRC again or skype or something =(
do we want to set up dates that you get on or announce here??

Top Bottom