• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zhamy's Bag of Tactics [Updated 01.26.2010]

Zhamy

Smash Champion
What is this?

This will not have an in depth discussion of specific combos. When I say tactics, I mean your overall strategy - how you think of the game and how you perceive Fox as a character. I'll update this occasionally with tidbits of advice. I'm assuming you have an elementary understanding of how Fox works here - if not, go read through the stickied threads until you know at least that much. A lot of Fox players are missing fundamentals, or they just don't know how to think of Brawl as a fighter. That is unacceptable.

If you ask questions relevant to the topics, I'll try to answer them.

Table of Contents (Ctrl+F to find stuff)

I. Nair as a Spacing Tool
II. The Point of Lasers
III. Punishing with Usmash

---------------------------

I. Nair as a Spacing Tool

Re: Nair.

If you've ever played Street Fighter 3/4, then think of Akuma, Yun, Yang, or Rufus. If not, I'll explain it shortly. All of these characters have great "dive kicks" that change the trajectory or their jump and gives them a very good and threatening options. Nair works a little bit like these dive kicks.

Out of a jump, if you do a dive kick EARLY in the jump, you can:
-Do an ambiguous 50/50 crossup that will mess up their blocking and then combo
-Stuff a potential anti-air counter which can lead into either a combo or a reset
-Stuff a jump, leading into a reset

If you do a dive kick LATE in the jump (close to the ground), you can:
-lead into a combo if it goes unblocked (which usually leads to knockdown and thus a reset in your advantage)
-have frame advantage on block and rejump to dive kick again (resetting the situation and making your opponent guess!)
-Tick into a throw
-Tick into a safe blockstring

My point in saying this is that Nair functions a lot like a dive kick in that with the correct spacing, you can make your opponent guess a lot. If you think about it, a lot of the applications of Nair function like a dive kick. Early Nairs, for example, are safe on shield against many characters, can catch bad jumps, can crossover on shield if you space correctly, etc. Late Nairs lead to knockdown or combo on hit, or into a quick jab against shield into whatever, etc. etc.

This is usually how I tend to think of Nair as far as a spacing tool goes. It's versatile, but if you use it incorrectly, you get ****ed up.
II. The Point of Lasers

First off, don't think of Fox's laser as a projectile. Think of it as an extension of his fist. Imagine that a laser is actually just a really long range poke. Imagine Fox's jab travelling all the way across Final Destination. Although lasers may not carry the hitstun that a jab does, it functions the same way as a poke does - it forces your opponent to react.

Really, that's the point of camping and of projectiles in general. You make your opponent respond to pressure. Standard options are shielding, running toward you, jumping, etc. My point being - by using lasers, you make your opponent to follow your game plan, rather than focus solely on executing theirs. This is why projectiles are so powerful in 2D fighting games. They control the space in front of them and demand a reaction from your opponent, while being, for the most part, entirely safe for the projectile user (their hitbox is protected far from the poke) . Why are hadoukens so good in Street Fighter? Because they act as an incredibly safe, long range poke that your opponent has to deal with. Sure, they deal chip damage (shield damage in Brawl), but that's not really the point. There is no distinction as to what makes a projectile a "special" move besides that it's often associated with the "specials" button or a "specials" motion, rather than a normal move.

Remember: Projectiles are just safe, long range pokes.

Granted, Fox's laser controls space in an odd way. I'm assuming here that you know how to SHL and SHDL consistently. (If you don't, practice execution!) At mid range and close range, it's very unsafe, especially because it provides no hitstun, so your opponent can easily punish your poke. At long range, though, your opponent must respond somehow. The effectiveness of Fox's camping, then, can be considered in terms of the effectiveness of the opponent's response. Against Falco, for example, Falco would most likely respond with his own lasers, which ordinarily puts Fox in a disadvantageous position. Fox does, however, have use of the shine - a reaction to Falco's lasers. Against Peach, there's not much she can do effectively at long range because of her poor movement speed; as a result, she's forced to come toward you.

My main point is that you should be thinking of lasers as a long range poke, rather than as a vaguely defined "camping tool." The damage and whatnot that comes from effective laser camping is an added bonus, but what you're really doing is juking for position and forcing your opponent to respond. This is why lasers, and projectiles in general, are so powerful.
III. Punishing with Usmash

One of the biggest tips when playing fighting games is to learn at least one combo. Hopefully your character's bread and butter combo, but if not, then the one combo you need to know is how to punish a bad shoryuken/reversal. For example, in SF3: Third Strike, my instant reaction to a bad shoryuken as Dudley is to do s.RH->Ex MGB-> Ducking Upper (-> Super if I have meter). If you didn't understand that, just understand that if anyone misses a shoryuken, I will do that to them every time, without fail.

In Brawl, you don't really have the same wakeup options, but if there's one thing you need to learn how to do with Fox, it's punishing a bad action against your shield. (Note that this is not always necessarily an offensive move - it could be spot dodging, even.)

Let's take an easy example. Let's say Bowser Fsmashes against your shield. You're at massive frame advantage - so what do you do next? Anything, really. You can punish him however you like. However, there should be three things you look for in a punish. In order of importance, they are:

1) Reliability
2) Damage
3) Safety

So what's the best punish? In many situations, it'll be an Usmash. Out of shield, boost, running - it doesn't matter, but Usmash is a easy and effective way to punish your opponent's mistakes. Not only do you score free damage, but it also puts your opponent above you (almost always a good position for Fox), and it scares them and makes them think twice about attacking you. If you can reliably and regularly punish your opponent with Usmash, it becomes that much more potent. After all, the move is stupidly disjointed, does ridiculous damage, and has knockback like no one's business. If you can punish them with it, it will help you win the mental battle.

Sure, if Bowser does Fsmash you, you can always do Dair->Utiltx3->Fair->Uair or something like that. But unless you can pull that off consistently, it's not worth it. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it. If you can, then by all means. But if you learn nothing else for punishes, at least learn how to Usmash people.

Keep it simple - save the flashy stuff for practice and friendlies, because without basics, you won't get far. Start small, then work on character specific punishes.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Zhamy this is really great Ima be honest with you....make more of these.
I do most of these thing but I never thought of Late Nairs into Early Nairs on Shields....I'ma try it out on some friendlies at tommorow's tourney and tell you how that works out :)

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Updated with "The Point of Lasers". Also accepting questions that are relevant to topics posted. Ask a good one and I might put it in the OP.

Tanman2333

Smash Cadet
Great giude on the lasers and Nair. Foxes Nair I think is really Undersused it can be great for setting up pseudo-combos, and true combos.

Jenkins

Smash Lord
zhamy.

is.

a.

god.

that is all.

great things about both lasers and nair.

good read.

DE4DmanW4LKIN

Smash Rookie
hey Zhamy ummm i kinda need help after i won against that marth i tried to use the late nair to early nair in a set of three matches against him and i kept getting sheild grabbed now i tried to formulate a way around this but i couldnt, help please......

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Ummm are you spacing the Late Nair correctly? Also me and Uzi already had a miscommunication on what Early and Late meant XD. Soo what's your defition of Late and Early DMW?

DE4DmanW4LKIN

Smash Rookie
well now that you bring it up it doesnt seem likei am spacing it correctly once i land i automatically SH nair and as i tried that he sheild grabbed me

DE4DmanW4LKIN

Smash Rookie
sorry.............................. well my def. of early would be as im coming up from a SH after dashing toward the opponent or just coming up from a SH. my def. of late would be as im coming down from a SH or even a FH but thats not what i did to execute the latenair to early nair what i did was a SH after coming in from a dash to nair and then SH once i hit the ground into tan early nair.................but after the late nair im grabbed

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Updated with Part 3.

I'll probably talk about the merits of NOT using all of your options in a match next post.

Questions/Comments?

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
agree with the usmash stuff, sometimes people try and get too fancy with their punishes and end up getting punished themselves....Nair oos is also godly as it covers the front of fox and puts you high in the air if it doesnt connect,allowing you to safely reestablish yourself on the stage and comes out rather quickly

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
I think I can get in on this...

There is no silver bullet:

Knowing how to Illusion Cancel on command, SHTL flawlessly, or any other cute gimmick isn't going to automatically win you the match. Sure they can help, but simply having the ability to perform it isn't going to spell instant victory for you. I've beaten many players who could do all sorts of nifty things with their character simply because they presented me with openings to exploit.
So get this notion of "tech skill=winz!!" out of your head right now.

What good are tools (the individual moves and maneuvers) if you don't know when, where, and how to use them to their utmost? This is a game as much about situational awareness, tactics, and decision-making as it is about specific techniques and technical scrutiny.

It's really not as complicated as some of us would like it to be.
Simply use what works when it works.

Have a plan in your playbook; better yet, have number of different plans:
Fox's unprecedented mobility around the stage gives the player a much wider range of options in most situations than other characters. The player should not only know these options intuitively, but your fingers should know what to do on their own as well. Your mind has more important things to worry about after all, like your opponent.

Here's something I posted a while ago that may still prove useful:

Dealing with a variety of opponents' playstyles.

For the purposes of this musing, let us assume you are comfortable with your character and can perform any given technique on-command.

Fox does have an advantage that many other characters lack:
He can be a very versatile fighter, able to switch-off between defensive, offensive, anything in-between, and near-instantaneously if needed.
This is what I will be discussing today.

There is a school of thought that I've found works generally well in thwarting a great variety of players:
Force them out of their element.
Do not play into your opponent's natural tendencies. Instead: force them to play against you in a playstyle they are uncomfortable with.

This is a pretty murky subject, so let me use an example:

Force defensive players to play aggressively
Fox is given two tools that can force all but the most stubborn defensive players to come at you: a blaster, and a reflector.

Blaster
Do not expect to deal a lot of damage with this, and do not expect to stop anyone in their tracks with it. In my experience, the blaster has only a single use, but an essential use:
to provoke a response.
When you unload a sting of pesky little blaster-shots, your opponent is going to do something. It doesn't matter what they do (shield, duck, reflect, absorb, ignore, whatever), but as long as they react to your shots, you will have something to read in your opponent, and thus a foundation from which to form your strategies and tactics.

Reflector
This is for those who would simply stand on the other side of the stage and throw things at you. Again, this is mostly to provoke a response. There are only a select few ways to undermine Fox's shine from afar, and you can generally out-wait most projectile spammers by just sitting there with the reflector on (Remember, these are defensive players were talking about here).

Provoking a defensive player to attack will often force them out of their comfort-zone as they hastily rearrange their own tactics to combat your own defensive posture. This is where they will tend to make mistakes as they are more used to reacting to aggression, rather than taking the initiative themselves.
When they slip-up their attack: exploit the opening they give you without mercy.

patience is the key when dealing with any defensive player. against some characters-player combinations , you may have to play 'the waiting game'. It may seem silly, but you have to be the more stubborn one, most defensive players are more than content to let you charge at them and predict your every move. Do not let them have it their way: make them come and stop your blaster-spamming, or reflector-holding.

Force aggressive players to play defensively
I'm going to admit: this is a bit of a tricky basket.
These are the kind of players who will wear-down your defenses and bulldoze you over when you try to squirm free from their onslaught.

For this scenario: you will have to put the blaster away, and hang-up the reflector. They'll ignore your blaster shots anyway, and a reflector won't do you any good (shine is a different story). You cannot play full-on defensively against an aggressive player and expect to win: Most agro-players come to expect this kind of 'turtling' from their opponents, and they will just keep the hammer coming until you crack under pressure.

In order to coerce an aggressive player into submission, you are going to have to get in their face and under their skin.

What this means, is using a kind of 'pseudo-aggressive' set of tactics.
Rather than waiting for your opponent to come to you, go after them; indirectly. Don't forget: Fox is just not the kind of character to over-power another, charging headlong into oncoming aggression is only going to get you hit that much harder.
What you need to do: is a series of feints, fake-outs, and other aggressive-looking things that will provoke a response.

Aggressive players are generally caught off-guard by an opposing aggressive maneuver, but don't think they won't try something. They will often immediately put-up defenses of their own, under the assumption that you are coming to get them. Even if they don't do it often, agro-players know how to receive another agro-player, and they will pummel-punish you if you simply mindlessly charge into them.

By using feints and fake-out maneuvers to stay in your opponent's face, you will keep them guessing and unsure of what to do with you next. This is where they will make mistakes when they try to thwart your 'aggression' with a counterattack, or other hastily planned defensive maneuver. And This, is where you you once again exploit the openings they give you without mercy.
(Keep in mind that defensive players will generally be able to catch-on to these kind of maneuvers, and are more than prepared to punish you for them. aggressive players are not usually in this situation, and will thus make more mistakes.)

in short:
In order to come out on top; you have to drive your opponent absolutely bonkers, you have to deprive them of what they want most out of you, you have to make the match as inconvenient as is humanly possible for them.
Figure out what your opponent wants you not to do, then do it to the extent that they can no longer handle it.

Thing to know:
Falco sh lasering toward you is aggressive play. He is generally trying to set up your defenses so he can get you with a chaingrab or one of his other shenanigans.

That's what I've got, have fun discussing it
As a continuation of my last post, we'll move on the the next level of play:

Dealing with players who can read and adapt.

You are going to have so much fun toying with your opponent when you can get the hang of this...

Bait and Switch.

Adapter-players are constantly watching you like a hawk, waiting for your next move so they can prepare a counter-maneuver. What do these players want? They want you to do something, they want you to have a predictable pattern of defense and attack that they can drive a wedge between and screw you over with. They want to be sure of themselves when they see you do move A, predict your move C, and knock you upside the head before you can get around to move B. (I know, I like to do this a lot.)

To drive an Adapter-player nuts, you have to prove their scheming and predictions wrong.
You have to be able to say to them: "You thought I was going to do move C instead of move D, didn't you?"
To which the Adapter-player should sheepishly respond: "yeah... but you were supposed to do move C."

Adapter-players are always ready to move (that's not to say they are always moving). They may have an "idle-cycle", some examples are: short-hops, dash-dancing, pacing or some other repetitive movement to throw you off while they wait for your next move. From the Adapter's "idle-cycle", the player can generally advance, retreat, feint and essentially launch into a variety of maneuvers that the circumstances require.

Do not try to attack them directly when they are in this state, they will be able to quickly put-up their defenses and be ready to receive your aggression when they switch into defense-mode. And don't stand-idle too long either, as the adapter-player will generally creep forward until they have you at the edge, at which-point they can jab you into an uncomfortable spot when they switch into aggro-mode.

Before you can do anything against an Adapter-player, you need 'test the waters' and see where the 'trip-wires' to their methods are: you need to spring the trap, but not become victim to it. To do this: approach them, but try to stay a safe distance away for now. The trick is to look like you mean business each time you throw a dummy-maneuver their way, so you can see what they plan on doing to you when they punish you. You may take it in the face a little when your experiments with your opponent go sour, but if you learn something about their technique, then it is all worth it; trust me.

Adapter-players want to be thinking two steps ahead of you, the best way to undermine that, is to take the playbook they [adapter-player] think they have of you, and completely throw it out the window. Condition your opponent into using predictable counter-responses (look-up Pavlov's dogs, this is exactly what you will be doing to your opponent), then completely switch-up on them. Instead of doing what you 'normally' do, go about your game with a completely different angle.

This is an extraordinarily subtle, nuanced process, and it requires you to have complete comfort and complete confidence in your ability to maneuver and manipulate Fox. You have to be able to play the character as if you were several different, individual players, and you're simply handing-off the controller to another set of hands. The smarter your opponent is, the faster you'll have to cycle through your various playstyles. You have to keep your opponent constantly trying to re-learn your style, trying to figure you out. Just when they think they have you, switch it up on them again. the smarter your opponent thinks they are, the more easily manipulated they'll be by this Pavlov's dog conditioned-response method.

(Do not simply throw-out randomness. If your technique has no set structure for your opponent to read, they will stop trying to read you, and deal-with you in a simpler manner. You need your opponent to be trying to figure you out, and to do that, they need something to read.)

The real trick to this technique, which I cannot teach you, is to know when to switch. It's up to you to figure-out when the adapter-player has caught-on to a given playstyle, and up to you to switch-up when the time is right.

You can go through the entire match doing this cat-and-mouse of predicting and unpredictability, but the holy-grail of this technique, the ultimate climax, is when you finally break your opponent.
When your opponent grows agitated, weary and downright sick of your shenanigans, they may abandon their practiced techniques, and revert back to a simpler play, often poorly. Don't be caught off-guard when they finally snap, they will so many times degrade into a hyper-aggression and can potentially blow you back for the win if you're not ready for it.
When you break your opponent's willpower and can exploit their newfound weaknesses, you will almost certainly win.

Thing to know:
Oftentimes, the most annoying thing you can do to an adapter-player, is nothing at all.
That's right, just stand there.
during a heated match -when you and your opponent are locked in the fierce exchange of blows, grabs, shields and dodges- if it is safe to do so: just stop, and do nothing. Your opponent's fingers will still be following their muscle-memory and may launch into another maneuver, leaving them open and ripe for punishment.
Have fun.

Top Bottom