• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zero Suit Samus vs. R.O.B.

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
It has been concluded by ZSS mains that the ZSS vs. R.O.B. matchup is at a 6:4 ratio

If you would like to challenge or confirm this conclusion, please post in the above thread.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I don't know enough about the matchup to contribute anything, and I think a lot of other ROB players probably feel the same way.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
The only ZSS I really played in tourny was this one guy who came off of a U.S. Reserve base and clearly was the **** there but didn't realize that R.O.B. was a good character. So yeah, no substantial knowledge here, other than she's pretty hard to gimp and her side+B is really annoying.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I did play Snakee, probably the best ZSS in the country, but that was months ago and I don't remember anything about the matchup except that he kept jumping out with side-Bs and gimping me :( and her dsmash is GAYYY!

WarmSoda

Smash Apprentice
I did play Snakee, probably the best ZSS in the country, but that was months ago and I don't remember anything about the matchup except that he kept jumping out with side-Bs and gimping me :( and her dsmash is GAYYY!
He is quite good. had the pleasure of playing a friendly with him a little while ago.

As far as the match-up... I'll post in the other thread.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
ZSS D-smashing a ledgehop to freeze you... side B to spike you while your frozen... makes Robot's cry. More on this as I ponder it.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
its BAD for ROB. it's atleast 6 4 in zss favor. iv played snakeee a ton of times, and he also says it himself that its terrible for me.

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
I heard a rumor that Snakee was going to the tourney I'm going to next saturday... I've never played a ZSS main in my life... >gulp<

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
This. :laugh:

No ZSS players in NC except for one (ph00tbag), and I've never played him :/
Peter can play a pretty mean ZSS from what I've seen and heard. Apparently he turned in his copy of Brawl, though, so I don't know how much opportunity there is for him to show off.

Adapt

Smash Lord
Does anyone else on the ROB boards have any input? Most ZSS users are giving it a 6:4ish advantage still and I think we'll be moving on soon.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Though she has to approach, she has super-duper range and can hit ROB from below miles away. I don't think you'll find too many people with a different opinion, besides which she's not a common character to face.

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
The following has been concluded for the R.O.B. vs. ZSS matchup, if you disagree, reply here

Pros:
  • Better aerial game due to speed and mobility.
  • Can harass R.O.B.'s recovery because of its lack of mobility and options.
  • R.O.B.'s telegraphed kill moves allow ZSS to have increased survivability.
Cons:
  • R.O.B.'s projectile game forces ZSS to approach.
  • R.O.B.’s quick ground moves create tons of close range pressure.
  • R.O.B.'s edgeguarding ability can result in early gimp deaths.

Final Verdict: 60-40 (subject to change)

Matchup Advice:

• Game Plan:
    Get R.O.B. in the air and off the edge. Exploit his lack of mobility and options in both situations to rack up damage and get KOs.

• Suitpiece Strategy:
    Avoid letting R.O.B. gain control of the pieces; his glide toss is as good as yours and he's used to using it well, since he practices with the gyro. The suit pieces can be useful when you knock R.O.B. off the stage because if he uses his Up-B he will not be able to airdodge in time to avoid contact with a well aimed piece.

• Long Range:
    R.O.B. will be using his strong projectile game to rack up damage and force an approach. Do not run in blindly. Keep your eyes on R.O.B. and wait for the telegraphed animations (head tilting back for laser and arms forward for gyro).

• Medium Range:
    As usual, this is the prime location for a ZSS. You may begin to apply pressure here after he has recently used his laser and the gyro is not charged. Use Side-B and Neutral-B to prevent R.O.B. from charging his gyro or backing off to resume his projectile game. R.O.B.'s roll is also very telegraphed and slow, if he tries to roll past your Side-B, punish heavily. R.O.B. will often leave a weak gyro at medium range to interfere with ground movement at medium range and try and force you to back off or come closer, make sure to shield it or pick it up for yourself.

• Close Range:
    As usual, ZSS's close range game pales in comparison to R.O.B.'s, avoid this range as much as possible. R.O.B.’s jabs, forward and down tilts are excellent for applying pressure, while his down-smash punishes either side of him quickly. F-Tilt has great range, jabs and D-Tilt are fast, and D-Smash does good damage and can KO if it's not SDI'd. Of these moves, R.O.B.’s D-Tilt is probably the most dangerous because it will trip you frequently (which will be followed with grabs) and it both starts and ends fast (great for shield pressure). ZSS needs to stick to jabs in order to be quicker than R.O.B., which should be used to alleviate pressure as you retreat back to medium range.

• In the air:
    Pressure R.O.B. constantly in the air. He has far less mobility in the air. Try to be under or behind him, locations where he cannot easily cover due to slow hitboxes in those directions. Above and in front he has fairly quick aerials that can be dangerous, approach with caution.

• When R.O.B. is Recovering:
    His recovery has a set amount of fuel, as such, if you can keep him off the stage for long enough, you can gimp him. R.O.B. cannot airdodge directly out of his Up-B but he can cancel it with an attack. Use Side-B and well spaced B-Airs to avoid his F-Airs and N-Airs. He may also use B-Air to help him recover due to its momentum properties.

• When ZSS is Recovering:
    Beware of lasers and gyros being flung off the stage to prevent your recovery. Being hit by a fully charged laser or gyro is normally death unless you are able to DI the hit upwards sufficiently. ROB may also follow you out and try to create a wall of pain with fairs. Flipjump will usually save you from this tactic, but if you are predicted he will instead uair you to rack up more damage.

• Matchup Unique Information:
    Make sure you turn ROB’s gyro against him. You should have a lot of practice dealing with items from using the armor pieces. The longer you hold it, the longer R.O.B. can not use his gyro. You can either use the same techniques you use for suit pieces to pick up the gyro and use it against him or shield for a fraction of a second near the gyro and it will disappear when its hitbox encounters a shield. (Sliding shield works well here)

• Counterpick Advice:
    • Stages to Counter-pick: Lylat Cruise, Brinstar,
    • Stages to Avoid: Frigate Orpheon, Final Destination

R.O.B. Contributors:

GwJumpman
soloSHADOWROB
Thanks guys!

Mr.E

Smash Lord
You can't FAir away thrown items, though you can catch them with precise timing. Don't count on it.

Informant

Smash Apprentice
California....just like every one else silly!
NNID
edpuga
3DS FC
1908-1488-2162
Switch FC
SW-1389-3088-9205
What?? Nobody else has said anything on this matchup? Ok, very important advice. Robo's Fair and Ftilt have DECEPTEVILY higher priority than Zamus' Side B . Don't be fooled by it's reach and appearance. It only hits after the attack is ending. When you see Zamus jump at you with Side B, instead of shielding, jump at her IMMEDIATELY with a Fair, it is VERY useful against all her attacks. It trades hits with her Fair or her Nair, I can't tell which it is as I only use Robo. I always defeat her Side B with these 2 attacks and hit her up B with an Fair and she actually takes damage if you hit the string itself from about halfway.

Edit: Hit her Up B or her UpSmash...I can't tell which it is...I only worry about what Robo does...anywhoo, you really want to abuse Fair in this matchup!

Edit #2: Robojet has the advantage, cold machines, such as us, are not distracted by athletic women in tight clothing...unless she is Blasian, of course.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Alright, it looks like I'm gonna have to give my best at this, since no one else knows the matchup.

I'd say this matchup is even or slightly in R.O.B.'s favor. VanillaWaffle switched his main to ZSS and is my training partner, and I also recently played Snakeee in tournament.

Snakeee himself is very campy- but one thing I found towards the end of the round is how easily I could out camp him. The strategy isn't too tough to understand, ZSS is going for Dsmash/Up B combos a lot to rack up damage and kill with forward B.

I can suggest some ideas on this matchup. First of all, don't challenge her up tilt. Just don't. It wins. Dsmash? Nope her utilt is faster. If you dodge it, you're probably getting setup for a dsmash to usmash/upb combo.

her jab is really fast. Use Dtilt to out space it (ftilt extends his hurtbox, but sometimes works as well).

Forward B is REALLY DECEIVING. IT WILL HIT YOU WHEN YOU DON'T THINK IT WILL. AND YOU'LL DIE AT 70%. Gay.

Catch her armor pieces at the start and glide toss them back. Your throwing abilities are better.

Recovery is hard to gimp, but still slightly predictable. Use this to setup for Bairs. Just don't get spiked doing it.

Snakeee

Smash Master
It's almost certainly ZSS' favor but not quite as much as I used to think. A lot of this debate here is outdated. I actually find my side b to be risky unless I'm using it to punish. If I use it while Rob is not in the middle of a move I'd usually get hit by a projectile. In the air if I don't perfectly space myself, I get n-aired. I tend to rely heavily on zss' pressure game against ROB with a lot of up airs and b-airs. I do use a lot of side b's only after dodging the gyro or laser. Also my best stage against ROB is rainbow cruise by far, I kid you not on that. I haven't lost a game there even to Holy and Ninjalink. This is partly because of my experience there though.

Jamnt0ast

Smash Journeyman
I would put the matchup closer to 50/50, but like a lot of ROBs im fairly inexperienced in the matchup.

Snakeee

Smash Master
Holy and NL both recently played me in tourney sets with ROB. We should also see what they think. I say it is slightly zss advantage but I could see a 50/50

Mr.E

Smash Lord
ZSS is quite possibly the best character in the game (aside MK/G&W) at pressuring ROB's blind spot from below, I'm hesitant to call it 50/50 based on that alone, maybe 45/55 in my opinion.

Side-B is the only she has that can outspace ROB, but her killing power is also garbage if she stales that and ROB tends to live significantly longer. :/ Not really a matchup I think all that much needs to be said... Oh, and Snakeee, teach me ZSS. :* I've been wanting to learn her as a MK/G&W/D3 counterpick.

Snakeee

Smash Master
Her KO ability is above average but percentage wise alone ROB obviously wins on that. The side b is actually kind of rare for me to use to KO and I rely more on her aerials (mainly b-air) for kills. And I agree ZSS has insane control while ROB is above her. Id say shes 2nd only to meta there. And I wouldnt say zss has the adv against those chars you listed except for G&W. But sure I'l teach you. You going to COT4?

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
its zss. I just did this matchup saturday and jesus christ it was the most boring thing ever....sigh

Superspright

Smash Lord
I regularly play my friend's ZSS, and I don't have a whole lot of trouble with it. At the beginning of the match I try to disrupt her armor game by either lasering, or charging a gyro. As soon as they start tossing it, you can either spot dodge the first one, and shield the rest, or simply run away from it. The armor DOES hurt a lot, and can rack up a lot of damage, as well as give ZSS mobility that she normally wouldn't have. One match [which I have recorded I think] my friend jumped, and I shot my gyro right onto his armor which gave me enough time to steal it and kill him with it. But, I wouldn't count on that. Staying above ZSS is ridiculously bad, but I found out that your dair actually clanks with her UP-B, not that you will want to do that.

Also, if you pick up her armor, do not be afraid to toss it down and glide toss. It BOUNCES really high, so it can be used for setups, and you can usually recover it before it settles.

The number one thing to watch out for is her forward B, but it's pretty easy to dodge since it's so telegraphed. But her tilts and her jabs are excellent. Never ever get down smashed, it essentially is a free anything if it's charged a little.

That's about all I have to say about the match up. It's not the most fun [or maybe is], because you are both trying to do totally different things. ZSS is trying to combo you, and ROB is just trying to slow down the game so he can gain control over the field.

Top Bottom