• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Zero Suit Samus- Quick Question, Quick Answer Thread

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
The most simplest difference to make is how quickly you press attack/special again to kick, as the spike is attached to her heels and it's a 6 frame long hitbox (I'm not sure if the spike is too though).
Unless they're really close then I believe the smart thing to do is dash away b reverse flip jump (it may be dash away + jump). Nairo does it a lot.

Funnily enough I mess up when I want to go for the horizontal knockback by spiking quite often !_! [at the same time I'm doing this because I feel they would be able to dodge/avoid it if I didn't attack that quickly something something]

Last edited:

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
I don't think I understand the discussed buffered uAir problematic at all. I jump with z and do my aerials (yes all of them) with the c stick and it's super ****ing easy. I get the swoosh sound too with rising SH uAir > second uAir too so I'm doing it right.
Why would anyone need double sticking for that?

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
Because we don't all set a separate button to jump or the c-stick to attack ;) [mostly the latter one]
>playing ZSS
>not setting c-stick to attack
[collapse=Shiggedy Diggedy Hibbedy Doo]
[/collapse]
That said, Nairo plays with default. But I'm not changing my mind.

Last edited:

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
I actually had a discussion on reddit with VABengal about this. It's possible to get full benefits of double sticking and the Auto SH frame perfect UpAirs WITHOUT having the pesky tap jump on.

In my controller set up, I have TJ off, the left trigger set to jump, and the c-stick set to attack. As long as I press both the left trigger and up on the left stick and c-stick at the same time (mimicking the double -sticking tap jump input but with also pressing L), I automatically buffer the SH UAir, regardless of how long I hold the left trigger.

In addition, Tuen, I started using Z as "special" to get more consistent B-Reverses and Wave-Bounces with the Z+C-stick method you brought up a while back. I also am using A+B=>smash to help a little with the PP DSmashes that Shaya talked about(still hard as sh*t though). As it stands, my final controller set up is as follows:

Tap Jump: Off
A+B smash: On
L: Jump
Z: Special
X: Grab
C-Stick: Attack
Everything else is default.

I've gone through like 8 different iterations of it and I think this is FINALLY the optimal setup. I can't think of anything any of the other setups provide that this misses out on, and it's only problem is that it takes a couple hours to get used to the L-Jump Sticking and OoS UpBs and such.
OOOOOOH, that's cool!

That said, I keep X on shield so that it's a bit more accurate than the analog triggers. I discovered a way to make the R-special wavebounce work 9/10 times, so I'm good there too.

The A+B smash for pp dsmash sounds interesting though. I... have to be able to perfect pivot first. I get that to work less than 1/10 of the time. >.>. So, maybe another time.

Still, great input!

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
OOOOOOH, that's cool!

That said, I keep X on shield so that it's a bit more accurate than the analog triggers. I discovered a way to make the R-special wavebounce work 9/10 times, so I'm good there too.

The A+B smash for pp dsmash sounds interesting though. I... have to be able to perfect pivot first. I get that to work less than 1/10 of the time. >.>. So, maybe another time.

Still, great input!
You got a good method for the trigger special wavebounce?
I get it right maybe 4/5 and it's ruining my thumb.

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
Ah, take this with a grain of salt, cause it might just be Tuen-Tendency specific. I have no real idea why this improves my efficiency. But, here we go:

I used to do this: hold right on the control stick, jump (still holding right), slam R+c-stick left at once (still holding right)

Now I do this: hold right on the control stick, jump (still holding right), release right, slam R+c-stick left+control stick right at once

I noticed that the double-stick imitation technique requires 3 simultaneous inputs (L, control stick up, c-stick up) and I was great at it. So, I tried it here. For reasons I can't really grasp, doing all 3 things at once (control stick right, c-stick left, R) nets me more consistency than 2 things at once (c-stick left, R).

My best guess why? The opposing directions on the control stick and c-stick help make this feel like a balanced motion and improves sync. Probably the best explanation: I'm weird.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
Ah, take this with a grain of salt, cause it might just be Tuen-Tendency specific. I have no real idea why this improves my efficiency. But, here we go:

I used to do this: hold right on the control stick, jump (still holding right), slam R+c-stick left at once (still holding right)

Now I do this: hold right on the control stick, jump (still holding right), release right, slam R+c-stick left+control stick right at once

I noticed that the double-stick imitation technique requires 3 simultaneous inputs (L, control stick up, c-stick up) and I was great at it. So, I tried it here. For reasons I can't really grasp, doing all 3 things at once (control stick right, c-stick left, R) nets me more consistency than 2 things at once (c-stick left, R).

My best guess why? The opposing directions on the control stick and c-stick help make this feel like a balanced motion and improves sync. Probably the best explanation: I'm weird.
Thanks, maybe I won't need to cut off my finger after all. Gonna try it later.

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata
The most simplest difference to make is how quickly you press attack/special again to kick, as the spike is attached to her heels and it's a 6 frame long hitbox (I'm not sure if the spike is too though).
Unless they're really close then I believe the smart thing to do is dash away b reverse flip jump (it may be dash away + jump). Nairo does it a lot.

Funnily enough I mess up when I want to go for the horizontal knockback by spiking quite often !_! [at the same time I'm doing this because I feel they would be able to dodge/avoid it if I didn't attack that quickly something something]
Is he just doing that for style though? I could just flip jump forward and kick forward too, but if reversing it actually has benefits to how easy the spike-box lands, then so be it.

David Viran

Smash Lord
Is he just doing that for style though? I could just flip jump forward and kick forward too, but if reversing it actually has benefits to how easy the spike-box lands, then so be it.
They can DI dsmash (which I don't know how many people do) or alot of the time you are just too close to flip jump straight out of dsmash. To get a spike at least. And it is run, jump, reverse flip jump.

T-Loc

Smash Rookie
I don't think I understand the discussed buffered uAir problematic at all. I jump with z and do my aerials (yes all of them) with the c stick and it's super ****ing easy. I get the swoosh sound too with rising SH uAir > second uAir too so I'm doing it right.
Why would anyone need double sticking for that?
The swoosh isn't quite good evidence that you're doing frame perfect UpAirs. I think a better test would be to see if you can OoS Rising SH UpAir a standing Falco, which is something that double sticking can do consistently. We're not saying that you can't do it manually, just that it requires MUCH less precision with double sticking, which can be a godsend in the heat of battle.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
The swoosh isn't quite good evidence that you're doing frame perfect UpAirs. I think a better test would be to see if you can OoS Rising SH UpAir a standing Falco, which is something that double sticking can do consistently. We're not saying that you can't do it manually, just that it requires MUCH less precision with double sticking, which can be a godsend in the heat of battle.
I assure you that with z jump and tilt stick, this is a very easy thing to do.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
@ Dr. Tuen Dr. Tuen your version has the advantage that if you screw up, a nSpecial comes out instead of an sSpecial, but the distance is a tad smaller. The ****up rate seems to be the same though.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
Can't you use Flip Jump once somebody attacks you and you run out of jumps? I was kind of "testing" her on FG yesterday, and I've died with 59% because I couldn't recover using it. She obviously has more recovery options, but I kinda got desperate on that time.
Also, can you Smash DI out of Boost Kick? If I can, what would be the right direction without screwing myself? Kind of a Anti-ZSS question, but since most of my mains are light weights and one of them is combo food, I find me having quite the difficulty against this move. Sorry if it was already asked.

David Viran

Smash Lord
Can't you use Flip Jump once somebody attacks you and you run out of jumps? I was kind of "testing" her on FG yesterday, and I've died with 59% because I couldn't recover using it. She obviously has more recovery options, but I kinda got desperate on that time.
Also, can you Smash DI out of Boost Kick? If I can, what would be the right direction without screwing myself? Kind of a Anti-ZSS question, but since most of my mains are light weights and one of them is combo food, I find me having quite the difficulty against this move. Sorry if it was already asked.
Flip jump only refreshes when you grab the ledge or land. You can smash DI boostkick but it doesn't do much. Just do the mix up with DIing left or right most of the time.

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
Has anyone been utilizing Plasma Whip / side b? The nerf from brawl is pretty terrible sure, but it's still an extremely long range poke. What got my attention though was that characters like Mario or anyone who's either slow or doesn't have a forward boosting dash attack or dash grab can't punish it on shield from around max range (most don't come even close). I used to think that it's better to just go for a grab instead but now I don't know. The custom side b 3 that everyone probably favors in a customs on metagame is of course better since it does the same damage and is less punishable by several frames (although it comes out a bit slower) plus it guarantees a follow-up, but the default shouldn't be shaken off either.

Trifroze

NNID
Trifroze
@ Shaya Shaya has been talking about uses for plasma whip like against kirby and ness.
Pikachu, Mario, Luigi, Ness, Villager and a bunch of others (and just for the sake of saying no to crouch shenanigans Kirby, G&W and Jigglypuff) definitely can't do anything about this. This is one of those moves that I really wish received a damage buff or endlag reduction, would be sweet if this killed at least somewhere around 150% or less with rage. It probably would if they buffed the last hit from 6% to 8-10%.

EDIT: Forgot Pikachu has a thing called QA, replace him with Diddy then I guess.

Last edited:

David Viran

Smash Lord
Pikachu, Mario, Luigi, Ness, Villager and a bunch of others (and just for the sake of saying no to crouch shenanigans Kirby, G&W and Jigglypuff) definitely can't do anything about this. This is one of those moves that I really wish received a damage buff or endlag reduction, would be sweet if this killed at least somewhere around 150% or less with rage. It probably would if they buffed the last hit from 6% to 8-10%.
Yeah Nintendo it's not like we're talking about bringing back brawl plasma whip that did 15% and had like no end lag.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Yeah I've been semi-hyping side-b for a while.
Most of the cast cannot punish it well spaced on shield, as you noticed. However a forward roll on reaction if you are moving forward will cover it and be able to punish it hard enough.
But besides that, it's kinda golden and underutilized.
It's the move I keep coming back to as the "maybe I should've tried this instead".

I think as we develop around the fact that we're mid-range focused (dash attack punish and retreating short hops either from a dash forward or otherwise) we'll come to see how solid a tool side-b is for managing our less-than-fantastic sub-mid range options. Our dash option game needs to get better either way though, one way or another.

Also forward smash should start being utilized as our alternative punish over grab, slightly faster, great range, high damage, kills, well spaced can be hard to punish (if both hits tap shield spaced it's kinda NUP); however it whiffs many of the shorty-height characters which is so bull **** [the y pos of this needs to be buffed BADLY]. Obviously we can also charge it for covering dodges too. If you're standing in a position where your body will limit the roll distance a character can reach, the first strike is a roundhouse that can catch people on top of you/slightly behind.

Last edited:

Trifroze

NNID
Trifroze
Speaking of forward smash I've yet to figure out how the sweetspot with stronger knockback works on it. Sometimes it happens when the move is used extremely close and sometimes when it's used from max range. Back air is weird too, it's supposed to have a 10% sourspot when it's used close to the opponent but 90% of the time it either hits with the 12% hitbox or misses completely because most of the sourspot is actually just a deadzone.

No big deals but I wonder when they give ZSS the bugfix treatment they've been giving to a lot of characters now.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Because she just so happened to be a pretty strong character before hand I guess.
Although her "faults" will probably become more pronounced as our opponent's figure her out.
She's definitely had some of the most work put to her in pre-release over everyone else though, that much is obvious (animations, models, etc).

She's one of very few characters who haven't been touched since the WiiU release.
Either they think she's fine / her power level is fine, so "BALANCE"
They don't think she's fine but they know she has "bug"-like issues so "BALANCE"
or they just haven't come around to looking at her again in the patch cycle; going by patterns they're looking at nearly half the cast at once for any given patch (it's likely 1 team working in two separate development cycles of 2 months overlapping or 2 teams with a 3 or so month cycle looking at nearly half the cast each).

The sweetspot for Forward Smash is her foot and her foot swings around close to her in the animation as she extends, allowing you to get it close to you.

Last edited:

David Viran

Smash Lord
Speaking of bair I'm pretty sure it does decimal percent because if it has the freshness bonus it does 13%.

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
To utilize parlance introduced by @ Shaya Shaya ... ZSS' crouch is definitely, the truth.

I've forced Sheik's nair, and some fairs (spacing dependent), to whiff by just... crouching. Mario's rising nair, Ness' rising fair, and some others have also missed due to this. Worth noting: her dtilt and her crawl are both shorter than her crouch. Her down tilt also shield pokes sometimes, and I've been getting it enough to warrant an investigation on what dtilt leads to.

I think part of what helps this works is the sheer difference in height from her standing to her crouching height. It's a big change in target.

Also an interesting bit. Some have called this "fuzzy guarding," but I don't know how well that matches up with the original FGC term. Crouch, wait for an attack that enters your standing height space, powershield instantly. This nets a few benefits:
  • Lasting hitboxes hit the shield and "turn off" (depends on the move), this allows a response without fear for a trade
  • Responses are obnoxiously fast for ZSS
  • The actual act of powershielding is easier

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
To utilize parlance introduced by @ Shaya Shaya ... ZSS' crouch is definitely, the truth.

I've forced Sheik's nair, and some fairs (spacing dependent), to whiff by just... crouching. Mario's rising nair, Ness' rising fair, and some others have also missed due to this. Worth noting: her dtilt and her crawl are both shorter than her crouch. Her down tilt also shield pokes sometimes, and I've been getting it enough to warrant an investigation on what dtilt leads to.

I think part of what helps this works is the sheer difference in height from her standing to her crouching height. It's a big change in target.

Also an interesting bit. Some have called this "fuzzy guarding," but I don't know how well that matches up with the original FGC term. Crouch, wait for an attack that enters your standing height space, powershield instantly. This nets a few benefits:
  • Lasting hitboxes hit the shield and "turn off" (depends on the move), this allows a response without fear for a trade
  • Responses are obnoxiously fast for ZSS
  • The actual act of powershielding is easier
I don't have any problems powershielding projectiles, but crouch PS might be pretty interesting for shutting down approaches.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Crouching is definitely an amazing spacing tool (crouching into shield being a really simple way to reactively power shield many things, touted in many games, including brawl [if you want I can link you to a late Brawl essay on it in the context of marth, it's somewhere lol]). I've been drilling landing into a slight back crawl as a habit as it seems like a fast-ish transition. I've been hyping down tilt a little recently too because of it's angle, I think it's applicably setting up fairs, bairs, flip jumps and paralyzer.
It's still laggy though. And yeah it's the type of move that shield pokes as she's moving forward during hitbox animation and strikes very low, probably her most reliable shield poke move, although angled ftilts (usually upwards) tend to do the job too.

Last edited:

Hydrosine

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hydrosine
How can i practice double up-air ??
I've never been able to do it.

Muffin!

Smash Apprentice
Can also mix in a RAR b-reverse for a similar effect. I use it a lot since I'm not terribly consistent with the wavebounce.

Jellyfish4102

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jellyfish
The thing about sideside b is that if you do land it, you don't get anything out of it. It never combos and it never kills. Speaking of side b, I have a question. Sometimes I'll hit my opponent with side b and they'll get knocked back and slide across the ground but they don't take damage. So what's going on there?

Last edited:

Muffin!

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I think Side special is a very matchup dependent tool. It does give you instant stage control though, which isn't nothing. I'm also wondering about the no damage hits.

Fluggerson

Smash Apprentice
I need a secondary to cover Zamus's bad matchups (SmallCharacters/Pikachu/Sheik). Small characters would be like Lucas, Toon Link, Kirby, etc.

I'm thinking of Mario or Sheik. Not sure though.

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
I need a secondary to cover Zamus's bad matchups (SmallCharacters/Pikachu/Sheik). Small characters would be like Lucas, Toon Link, Kirby, etc.

I'm thinking of Mario or Sheik. Not sure though.
Everyone has a pocket sheik

Anyway I'm actually buying this game for myself this weekend and I've decided on Zero Suit as my character of choice to stop being a casual scrublord. Is there any videos or anything that can help me get started on learning zss? I know what she does I just need to know how to do anything other than running around with spaghetti hanging out of my pocket and getting roflstomped.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
Everyone has a pocket sheik

Anyway I'm actually buying this game for myself this weekend and I've decided on Zero Suit as my character of choice to stop being a casual scrublord. Is there any videos or anything that can help me get started on learning zss? I know what she does I just need to know how to do anything other than running around with spaghetti hanging out of my pocket and getting roflstomped.
You will find everything you need in this forum.
Take 5's videos are great, Delux' old videos too, mine is fine for percentages, everything Shaya and Tuen post is gold.

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
D-tilting under shieks needles is going to be the future...Despite the fact that it works for only 1-3(or 4) needless =/.
What are some of the things you guys forced to whiff with down tilt? I can't remember all of them , However I am sure AF I down tilted under DK grounded up b for one thing and was like @.@?

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Yeah I've been semi-hyping side-b for a while.
Most of the cast cannot punish it well spaced on shield, as you noticed. However a forward roll on reaction if you are moving forward will cover it and be able to punish it hard enough.
But besides that, it's kinda golden and underutilized.
It's the move I keep coming back to as the "maybe I should've tried this instead".

I think as we develop around the fact that we're mid-range focused (dash attack punish and retreating short hops either from a dash forward or otherwise) we'll come to see how solid a tool side-b is for managing our less-than-fantastic sub-mid range options. Our dash option game needs to get better either way though, one way or another.

Also forward smash should start being utilized as our alternative punish over grab, slightly faster, great range, high damage, kills, well spaced can be hard to punish (if both hits tap shield spaced it's kinda NUP); however it whiffs many of the shorty-height characters which is so bull **** [the y pos of this needs to be buffed BADLY]. Obviously we can also charge it for covering dodges too. If you're standing in a position where your body will limit the roll distance a character can reach, the first strike is a roundhouse that can catch people on top of you/slightly behind.
In terms of the side b I feel you I find myself "incorporating" or rather attempting to incorporate it into my long range game for characters/players that love to rush down.

So far as to even sh at them and wave bounce the side b so I retreat as far back as possible with the explosion hitting them just before I move out of range.

There is something I want to tinker with and see if it has any use, when you dash and turn around as your skidding you can side b to do a sliding plasma whip.

Kind of wondering if we can use those in the situations where instead of risking a run through pivot grab, you do a run through turn around skidding side b aiming to hit the explosion hitbox on their shield before you continue sliding out of range.

I also have a question since I'm about to swallow my pride and say goodbye to smash stick, is it possible to PP uptilt and slide through people?

I would like to try some different grounded approaches and since pp Down tilt doesn't slide bit up tilt does...I am praying for some sort of hidden jank factor...Kami-Sama please?

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
honestly the main issue with sideb is that... how often is it more useful than nb? ive gotten some gimps with the string but that's about it. i used to use it a lot when i wasnt used to smash4's b reversing yet but nowadays i dont really use it anymore. One thing it's definitely good for is rising sideB if someone short hop approaches at you. it's a lot better than zair in those scenarios

Jellyfish4102

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jellyfish
Yeah I think Side special is a very matchup dependent tool. It does give you instant stage control though, which isn't nothing. I'm also wondering about the no damage hits.
So I did some testing in training mode, if only one of the middle hitboxes connects, then it only does two percent and knocks them back at a very horizontal angle. I'm starting to think it might be useful for edgeguarding because the middle hits have good knockback and they send so horizontal. It's not too difficult to get the last hit to miss. They just have to be right next to you and slightly above or below you.

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
I wonder if side B hits under the stage at all. Hmm, could be cool. Though the end lag might leave you unable to respond to your foe's getup options. Not that the off stage flip kick lover should be care... ha.

Trifroze

NNID
Trifroze
At the very least side b will forever be useful for reverse tether ledgegrabs and for buffering tether ledgegrab out of aerials.

Top Bottom