• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zero Suit Samus - Official discussion of her in SSBB

bijoukaiba

Smash Journeyman

Captain Falcon: "Show me your boobs!"
Samus: "Kay!"

I'm not sure whether "taunt" would be the right term for that.
QFT, QFT, and QFT.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Speaking of voice acting from nearly a year ago, I figure they'll probably keep Jennifer Hale for her American voice, but as for Japanese, I think they should go for Neya Michiko. She does the voice of Riza Hawkeye on the Japanese Fullmetal Alchemist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6m77xsvfIU (for those of you who have never seen FMA, she's the blonde-haired woman who appears after about 20 sec.)

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Is it me or does Falcon pronounce words weird?

"Shouw me youwr moves!"

"FALCOOMMMMBBB PAAAUUUNNCCCCCHHHH!"

Meh, it's all good. I wonder how ZSS is gonna sound when she gets hit hard. She'll probably sound similar to the way she does in MP:1 and 2, if not Fusion.

YellowJT

Smash Cadet
nah i doubt that
if u compare her to the crate
shes about the same height
and in melee those things werent too big

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
It is interesting that they haven't put Samus and ZS Samus in the same update. Possible hints of a none transformation? Or are they going to mention it with the ZS Samus update?

As for the size issue, I really think that it's just Pikachu looking really big, considering that ZS Samus is still as tall as a crate.

Aki-toriko

Smash Apprentice
Well todays update makes things more interesting doesn't it? Samus' profile is up and nowhere does it state that she transforms. Unless Sakurai intends to cover that in a seperate update, looks like she and Zamus are now seperated.

We can't say for certain mind, we'll have to wait and see what happens when Zamus' profile is added. If she is put with Samus they're linked, or as a newcomer or secret character then they're seperate.

I for one would welcome the news that they are seperate. I don't like the idea of transformations in games and in my mind it makes much more sense to make them seperate. My guess is that Sakurai tried to make them as one in the early stages of development, but since then has given up and just made them into their own characters

Steven Hail

Smash Cadet
Well todays update makes things more interesting doesn't it? Samus' profile is up and nowhere does it state that she transforms. Unless Sakurai intends to cover that in a seperate update, looks like she and Zamus are now seperated.

We can't say for certain mind, we'll have to wait and see what happens when Zamus' profile is added. If she is put with Samus they're linked, or as a newcomer or secret character then they're seperate.

I for one would welcome the news that they are seperate. I don't like the idea of transformations in games and in my mind it makes much more sense to make them seperate. My guess is that Sakurai tried to make them as one in the early stages of development, but since then has given up and just made them into their own characters
We'll probably get the answer by next week at the earliest. Though I find the concept of transforming under different circumstances, I think it would be quite a hassle in the long run. Maybe...but I could be wrong.

WHO?AreYou

Smash Journeyman
We'll probably get the answer by next week at the earliest.
I think you mean "by next week at the latest". Though what you siad was pretty funny. :chuckle:

And I'm with you, Aki. I would gladly welcome Zamus and Samus being two different characters. You can't get rid of Samus' Down-B (the bomb) to do a Zelda/Sheik esqe transformation. As one who mains a Sheik, transform is rarely used. It works as a legitimate move for Zelda/Sheik though because of the history behind the move. Zamus and Samus don't have the same kind of history. The differences between them is more akin to Mario/Dr. Mario than Zelda/Sheik.
Transforming under other circumstances would be a hassle. the only feasible way I could see a transform working would be as a one time thing at the beginning of the match, sort of like how if you hold A in melee, you'll instantly transform into Sheik at the start of the match.

Steven Hail

Smash Cadet
Perhaps there could be some sort of way to play them as seperate while playing through the game. Event matches anyone? It could be we could accomplish some special requirements to do that (besides stripping her armor.)

Meta_Owns_Ur_Dad

Smash Ace
There's still tommorrow (cue jarring chord of suspense)
Nah, we'll have to wait and see. Great how these updates are totally unpredictable isn't it?
So far, the past 5 are character updates, besides, there is SSOOOOO much stuff left to do in that section. With these two bits of information, tomorrow, if not a lot of next week, will be character based.

Kr3w

Smash Journeyman
i hope u cant only pick her by being samus first and then using the final smash. maybe it could be lke zelda/sheik when u hold A before the match.
but anyways im thinking that ZSS is going to be like shiek

ksadkiller

Smash Apprentice
i think there'll be an option to start as zero suit from the beginning of the match. like u hold "A" when u pick a stage and samus drops her armor at the beginning of the match. i think that'll be a good idea

RBinator

Smash Journeyman
I'm not seeing a big connection between Zero Suit Samus and Sheik at all. For one, Zamus has a weapon that appears to act like a whip and a gun. Two, it's not like other characters don't have similar moves. In Melee, many nairs are similar, Zelda's and Ness' bair are similar, Yoshi's and Bowser's down + B are similar, and more. I gone back and looked at the E3 '06 trailer and Nintendo World trailer, along with screenshots on the Dojo, and I'm finding too many differences between Sheik and Zero Suit Samus.

On June 21st where Fox's special moves were shown, in one of the screen shots, Zamus appears to be shooting something at him. From what I can gather, I have no way of telling if it works anything like Sheik's needles or not. I can say for sure the animation is different however. In the first trailer, Zamus appears to have animations unrelated to Sheik and I fail to see any connection. In the second trailer, Zamus has a few animations that do look like Sheik's, but it should also be noticed that she does a move that looks like Falcon Kick and some new animations. Zamus even has the same lag motion from landing with that move. Along with the Falcon Kick look-alike move, Pit has Young Link's standing animations, which is a clue to me that there are some place holder animations.

As for Zamus sharing the same spot with Samus on the rooster or showing up on another slot of her own (with that one update we got, doesn't seem very likely), what difference does it make? Samus and Zamus are already basically two different characters programmed into the game. If their is a record system that works like Melee, the only thing I can see being different about the two being on the same slot or not is sharing records.

Dr.Mario84

Smash Cadet
Sorry to ask, but does anyone else feel that Zero Suit Samus is gonna suck, hard?

I continue to see more and more flaws of Zero Suit Samus appearing on the Dojo website. Quite a few actually, which makes me think that Zero Suit Samus should be considered for a low tier. The flaws that stand out are the following.

• Zero Suit Samus is light. Therefore, can be knocked off the screen very easily
  • Her gun is seen being knocked out of her hand by Zelda in one picture
  • Her Up B is not a recovery move, nor does it appear to be a good quality attacking move. Instead, the functionality shown so far is that of a teather line to the stage

And then comes the speculative theories.

In Metroid: Zero Mission, the emergancy pistol can only be used for one thing: to stun the foe. It does not hurt the foe, and can only stun them at full charge. The pistol charges when it is idle. If it is not fully charged, it will be harmless. If this exact functionality comes in Brawl, then the pistol in its neutral position might be nearly useless. However, in Metroid: Zero Mission the pistol is capible of removing bomb blocks, fully charged or not. If this is the case, the pistol in Brawl might have range damage equal to that of Samus' morph ball bombs. Most likely, because of its weakness, this might be why Sakurai indicates that most people might perfer the whip as the weapon of choice rather then the pistol.

Another thing is that Zero Suit Samus holds her weapon at all times. Because of this, one might consider it to have the same functionality as when one holds an item, seeing as it can be knocked out of Zero Suit Samus' hand. This would mean that Zero Suit Samus can not grab while holding this. And this would also mean that if you would attempt to use the grab button, you'd just end up throwing the gun in the first place. And only one item can be held per character. So Zero Suit Samus would have to throw away the pistol inorder to use any other items that appear on the field, which might not be the best of ideas. Although, Zero Suit Samus' Up B does remind me of Samus grapple beam, so it might even be used in the same functionality completely, to even grab people. Which might be a little fun.

Now, some people might counteract this by using Link as an example, who holds both a sword and a shield and is capible of picking up other items. However, how this is different is that for one, Link can put away his shield, which he always does when he obtains an item. Also, his sword cannot be removed from him. In essence, Zero Suit Samus holding another item along with the Emergancy Pistol is just as Mario holding two beam swords. Simply put, it can't be done. However, on the flip side the Emergancy Pistol is a Zero Suit Samus only item, technically. So, it might be treated as the instance of Roy's and Marth's swords. Just, it can be knocked out of her hand.

Now, another thing is that if it is knocked out of her hand, what powers will she lose? One of them already being she wouldn't be able to use her Up B anymore, as the Up B is the whip of the gun, so it seems. So, then this leads to the possibility that Zero Suit Samus might end up losing most, if not all, of her special attacks, leaving her with only the option to use Smash Attacks.

And besides all that, the real reality is that Zero Suit Samus is also very weak. In fact, according to the Metroid games, the power suit multiplys Samus' own power vastly. However, in Brawl, it says she gains speed, which does go against truth. As the power suit does have a speed booster. So her power might not be weakend down as much as it really should be, but still, she would be weak. And to be more correct, Zero Suit Samus would have to have a small maximum jump then Samus. With or without the hi-jump boots on the Power Suit, Zero Suit Samus would still pale in comparison to the jump of Samus. However, seeing as the game says she's lighter, she might have a longer jump, too, regardless.

I might not even want to use the Zero Laser at this rate, if Zero Suit Samus really does have such a poor potential.

Vagrant Lustoid

Smash Journeyman
I have to be honest, I greatly dislike Zero Suit Samus. Not because of how she's portrayed in Brawl, just because I think she seems ridiculous. I had the same issue in Zero Mission, I simply couldn't stand her. Samus is supposed to be a power-gal. Not a sex icon. And I know, pictures hidden at the ends of games, but they're bonuses, and she looks better in multiple items of clothing than a single bodysuit. Even though that would be the more sensible way to go in a high-tech battlesuit.

However, I do hope that she's at least about par with her Power Armour form, or perhaps a little under. Quicker, but more prone to damage, less damaging, and overall weaker in terms of jumps and the like. But I do think the transforming pistol holds some real potential for an interesting moveset. I simply don't like how she looks. Stupid Aran.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Sorry to ask, but does anyone else feel that Zero Suit Samus is gonna suck, hard?

I continue to see more and more flaws of Zero Suit Samus appearing on the Dojo website. Quite a few actually, which makes me think that Zero Suit Samus should be considered for a low tier. The flaws that stand out are the following.

• Zero Suit Samus is light. Therefore, can be knocked off the screen very easily
  • Her gun is seen being knocked out of her hand by Zelda in one picture
  • Her Up B is not a recovery move, nor does it appear to be a good quality attacking move. Instead, the functionality shown so far is that of a teather line to the stage

And then comes the speculative theories.

In Metroid: Zero Mission, the emergancy pistol can only be used for one thing: to stun the foe. It does not hurt the foe, and can only stun them at full charge. The pistol charges when it is idle. If it is not fully charged, it will be harmless. If this exact functionality comes in Brawl, then the pistol in its neutral position might be nearly useless. However, in Metroid: Zero Mission the pistol is capible of removing bomb blocks, fully charged or not. If this is the case, the pistol in Brawl might have range damage equal to that of Samus' morph ball bombs. Most likely, because of its weakness, this might be why Sakurai indicates that most people might perfer the whip as the weapon of choice rather then the pistol.

Another thing is that Zero Suit Samus holds her weapon at all times. Because of this, one might consider it to have the same functionality as when one holds an item, seeing as it can be knocked out of Zero Suit Samus' hand. This would mean that Zero Suit Samus can not grab while holding this. And this would also mean that if you would attempt to use the grab button, you'd just end up throwing the gun in the first place. And only one item can be held per character. So Zero Suit Samus would have to throw away the pistol inorder to use any other items that appear on the field, which might not be the best of ideas. Although, Zero Suit Samus' Up B does remind me of Samus grapple beam, so it might even be used in the same functionality completely, to even grab people. Which might be a little fun.

Now, some people might counteract this by using Link as an example, who holds both a sword and a shield and is capible of picking up other items. However, how this is different is that for one, Link can put away his shield, which he always does when he obtains an item. Also, his sword cannot be removed from him. In essence, Zero Suit Samus holding another item along with the Emergancy Pistol is just as Mario holding two beam swords. Simply put, it can't be done. However, on the flip side the Emergancy Pistol is a Zero Suit Samus only item, technically. So, it might be treated as the instance of Roy's and Marth's swords. Just, it can be knocked out of her hand.

Now, another thing is that if it is knocked out of her hand, what powers will she lose? One of them already being she wouldn't be able to use her Up B anymore, as the Up B is the whip of the gun, so it seems. So, then this leads to the possibility that Zero Suit Samus might end up losing most, if not all, of her special attacks, leaving her with only the option to use Smash Attacks.

And besides all that, the real reality is that Zero Suit Samus is also very weak. In fact, according to the Metroid games, the power suit multiplys Samus' own power vastly. However, in Brawl, it says she gains speed, which does go against truth. As the power suit does have a speed booster. So her power might not be weakend down as much as it really should be, but still, she would be weak. And to be more correct, Zero Suit Samus would have to have a small maximum jump then Samus. With or without the hi-jump boots on the Power Suit, Zero Suit Samus would still pale in comparison to the jump of Samus. However, seeing as the game says she's lighter, she might have a longer jump, too, regardless.

I might not even want to use the Zero Laser at this rate, if Zero Suit Samus really does have such a poor potential.
Knocked out of her hand? Show me the pic please.

Dr.Mario84

Smash Cadet

If you look closely, you can clearly see her pistol actually falling out of her own hand after being hit by the debris from her suit, being thrown by either Zelda, Pikachu or Kirby. Either that, or Zelda used her smash attack while the debris was being thrown.

Vagrant Lustoid

Smash Journeyman
Wow, that's true... and if it can be knocked out of her hand, Zamus probably is going to bite. Although it could be that she goes all ninja on you if she drops it. After all, wasn't she able to jump ridiculous distances and hit with amazing speed and power at age 14, before she got her armour?

SehkmetCLS

Smash Cadet
Good point, but I guess the gun/whip won't be dropping, trailers made her seem to reliable on those...
What's did people think when Zamus appeared?

either:

A) Omg teh b00bi3z
B) Wow O.o nice addition
C) *looking at the whip* So that will be her mode of attack?

I mean, why show of a weapon that's probably gonna get wasted in a min in trailers? :O

Just my thoughts tho, I think that Zamus has potential and if selectable through a unlockable or anything would make a great addition.

Kinda nuts to be expert with Zamus and you have to do a FS before you can play as her...would be great in battles...."dude plx wait, need smshballz k? Zamus plx"

Hehe...

Edit: *read the above posters*

Ok picture makes things complicated, I'm gonna call it a "lets wait and see" for me. :p

Vagrant Lustoid

Smash Journeyman
What did I think when I first saw Zamus? "Interesting concept for Brawl, but I still am as disillusioned with you as I was in Zero Misson. Wait... no, I definitely don't like you."

That said, if she fights well, I'll use her.

NukeA6

Smash Master

If you look closely, you can clearly see her pistol actually falling out of her own hand after being hit by the debris from her suit, being thrown by either Zelda, Pikachu or Kirby. Either that, or Zelda used her smash attack while the debris was being thrown.
It's probably just part of the animation but you could be right. She may really be a handicap character but the Zero Cannon may be the best Final Smash in the game and she sheds her armor so things can be balanced.

paralasalud

Smash Ace
i really don't think s/zamus will be separate characters. i feel like zamus is only supposed to run away, you know, fun n' run (smrpg reference), until her armor comes back. which i'm not even sure how that works yet. i'm speculating that after a given amount of time the armor comes back. again that's pure speculation as i've only played metroid prime and the other one with the fusion suit for GBA, but i don't have a great memory of either of them.

did anyone here get to play as her at E for all?

edit: i agree with sehkmet, it's totally a "wait and see" thing.

Noshiee

Smash Ace
i really don't think s/zamus will be separate characters. i feel like zamus is only supposed to run away, you know, fun n' run (smrpg reference), until her armor comes back. which i'm not even sure how that works yet. i'm speculating that after a given amount of time the armor comes back. again that's pure speculation as i've only played metroid prime and the other one with the fusion suit for GBA, but i don't have a great memory of either of them.

did anyone here get to play as her at E for all?

edit: i agree with sehkmet, it's totally a "wait and see" thing.
actually people say she is a really good and quick character with great range on some of her atttacks (not a run away), and in her FS she gets her armor suit back.

Top Bottom