• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda's Moveset Speculation

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Because Fujin wanted one.

Discuss away!

Of note would be:

A homage to Zelda in The Spirit Tracks.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Initially I thought that it was probably a new special but now I'm wondering if the phantom knight is actually her Smash attacks or something. I know it's hard to judge based on a single screenshot but it'd be weird to replace any of Zelda's iconic specials with the phantom Knight. That's all assuming it really is one of her moves and not a cleverly timed screenshot of an AT or something but it'd be weird to include a screenshot like that on her character page.

Fuujin

Smash Champion
But if this really ends up being her down b or a large part of moveset.
Or what if stays out and protects her.

I mean like.....

Which one looks better???

Poor Irrelevina.

She thought she had her shine with her little beanie baby luma trying to look all neat and cute but then Zelda comes along with a giant phantom knight bigger than Ganondorf.

It's probably just an assist trophy tho.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
summoning a phantom knight doesnt seem likely for a smash attack, i mean come on, she used magic in brawl, she doesnt need her own protection.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I was thinking that spirit tracks knight was going to be her down b, meaning that Sheik may not come back. Could be off though.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
im guessing an assist trophy
That's the most likely option.
I don't think they would replace any of Zelda's special moves; they're rather iconic. Probably not a new FS either as that's a rather perfect fit.

I suppose if I had to play devil's advocate, I'd say it could be a new down special and Sheik was replaced. Seeing as she's not shown. But that's just stupid.
So, yeah, AT.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
summoning a phantom knight doesnt seem likely for a smash attack, i mean come on, she used magic in brawl, she doesnt need her own protection.
That's actually why I was thinking maybe it was. The magic was cool and sort of in character but she never really used magic in that manner in actual Zelda games (that I recall at least). I don't feel like they are gonna ditch Sheik. That's always been on of the kind of cool, unique things about Zelda's moveset is that she was two characters in one that you could freely switch between. Guess we'll see though. I actually played Zelda a lot in Brawl so I'm excited to see what happens.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
It could be a new Side-Special (though I still like Din's Fire a lot, it probably only needed some tweaks here and there).

As a Smash would make sense on itself but not considering the context (with her using magic in both Melee and Brawl and suddenly depending on a summon).

And what seems even more logical for me personally is an AT, because Sakurai really likes tradition and it would be only logical he keeps his characters as close as they were in his previous games.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I think Din's Fire would be amazing if it wasn't so easily neutralized :(

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
I'm also going to say assist trophy.

Why?

Because.....

Zelda's doing the same (or otherwise veeery similar) animation in this screen. I think it's her grab animation. She's not sending out the phantom knight as a move from her set in the first pic. It's just a clever screen capture with an AT.

That's my theory anyway. When the Smash Bros Miiverse updates, the screens usually have captions, so we'll probably know more tomorrow.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
or it could be her taunt, the one where she waves to the edge of the screen. only this time its been tweeked a bit.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
I was actually gonna argue that it WAS part of her moveset because of that picture...

But I guess maybe a new down B. As much as I want sheik, I could see another clever "controllable weapon" attack being added to her specifically.

I want sheik though, so yeah. It better not be sheik's replacement.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I'm also going to say assist trophy.

Why?

Because.....

Zelda's doing the same (or otherwise veeery similar) animation in this screen. I think it's her grab animation. She's not sending out the phantom knight as a move from her set in the first pic. It's just a clever screen capture with an AT.

That's my theory anyway. When the Smash Bros Miiverse updates, the screens usually have captions, so we'll probably know more tomorrow.

but you dont know the extent of the knights animation, it could appear with a delay or even in a certain range. No way can you rule it out with that shot above.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Aside from ScaryLB59, no other Zelda ever used Transform. Cosmo has a Sheik, but only for the ditto since Sheik is Zelda's worst MU in Melee...

It could very well be possible they scrapped Transform. The move itself was a wreck in Brawl and never used in general.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
So...if it IS part of her moveset, I'm gonna guess down B. which means she might not transform. Maybe he added Impa and Diddy was right all along?

Mother of god.

Still though, lets wait for confirmation til we freak the **** out as usual.

Edit: Wait a minute! Isn't the pic of the DAY a shot of her transforming?

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
I would argue that the summon is part of her moveset based purely on the fact that they updated it graphtically to the same style as her. If it was an assist trophy, then why would they do that if Toon Link is still in the same? Maybe she's using the same animation in both screenshots, but that could just be that she summoned the knight and then used her grab for the shot.. just a thought.

In other words, I would be willing to bet that they replaced a special move. Notice how none of the shots show any of the Goddess spells.. maybe he wanted to rework her to be more close to the character? Not calling Sheik as out yet, but I could see her getting replaced with Impa now, especially with his "so many female fighters" comment.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
what female fighter comment is this?

The Pic of the Day quote:

"Pic of the day. To celebrate the launch of The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds in Japan, Zelda joins the battle!! It's great to see so many female characters this time around."

To be fair, it could also just be referencing the fact that he's revealed.. what? 20 characters and a quarter of them are female, as well as 4 newcomers, of which 2 are also female.

Third transformation for Zelda? Obviously the only answer.

But nah, a smash attack feels most likely. She charges it up then the thing appears when it released. That seems like a lot of work on the development in for a simple smash attack though. Replacing Din Fire is also an option, though that kind of messes up the whole three goddess moves set-up. It replacing Shiek as her down B would be really interesting and I'd love to see how it plays out, but that's way too big of a change to consider right now. ...we could lose a character or have a character replaced...too much.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
The only three possible things it could be are:
-Assist trophy
-Replacement down b
-Replacement forward smash

Fuujin

Smash Champion
I would argue that the summon is part of her moveset based purely on the fact that they updated it graphtically to the same style as her. If it was an assist trophy, then why would they do that if Toon Link is still in the same? Maybe she's using the same animation in both screenshots, but that could just be that she summoned the knight and then used her grab for the shot.. just a thought.

In other words, I would be willing to bet that they replaced a special move. Notice how none of the shots show any of the Goddess spells.. maybe he wanted to rework her to be more close to the character? Not calling Sheik as out yet, but I could see her getting replaced with Impa now, especially with his "so many female fighters" comment.
This is a very good point.

For those that don't know, the specific phantom in the screenshot only appears in Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks.
Both of those games feature the "Toon" art style so it wouldn't make much sense for them to take an assist trophy from Toon Links game and give it the Twilight Princess aesthetic.

In Spirit Tracks Zelda's spirit actually travels with link through out the game and can take control of or possess phantoms to help Link fight and solve puzzles.

So the move actually makes ties into Zelda and makes sense.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
but you dont know the extent of the knights animation, it could appear with a delay or even in a certain range. No way can you rule it out with that shot above.
Whatever it is, it's something entirely new. She doesn't do that animation in Brawl at all.

Curve ball: all of Zelda smash moves are replaced by the phantom. Forward, down, up and somehow aerials. No more magic smash moves, all phantom summons.

It could happen

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
This is definitely Zelda's Transform... Same exact pose as Sheik. 3 fingers and everything.

No doubt in my mind that Sheik's returning.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
This is definitely Zelda's Transform... Same exact pose as Sheik. 3 fingers and everything.

Yes, it's interesting. However, in Brawl, she doesn't do that pose in any frame of Transform so Sakurai most likely changed the animation.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
I can't see them taking out Sheik. I mean... she's still quite relevant. Ocarina of Time was re-released on the 3DS.

She was also one of the more badass designed characters in Melee and Brawl.

Guess we'll see.

Darkshadow77

Smash Cadet

Nah... I'm pretty sure that's Din's Fire.
While Zelda did use that animation when transforming, it was near the end when light surrounds her. Since there's no light arround her in that photo, I highly doubt that's her down B.

Master_Morrison

Smash Cadet
As much as I don't want to say it
I don't want Zelda with a useless down special
It's a waste
Yes it's another character with a new set of moves and options
But each characters have their own play styles
I just feel like she should have another projectile spell or option rather than transform
I love sheik but I feel the same about her
She should have an extra attack instead of transform
The only way I could feel transformations would ever be a great play style would be like Cecil from dissidia final fantasy that was able to transform with his attacks using two move sets smoothly

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Phantom Knight IS an attack.

Zelda does no other attacks in her Dojo page. While other characters do. However... Din's Fire could be an exception as pointed out!

Phantom Knight will basically be an upgraded Uber Luma in a way. Zelda needed this kind of buff!

Impa will most likely be a separate character based on Sheik.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I think it's Zelda's side special.
I'm sure he other moves can be re arranged around.

Maybe Din's fire can be a her new B move and Nayru's Love be worked into her shield. A bit of a stretch but would be cool to see.

XTheElegantShadowX

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3625-7979-8675
I highly doubt that it's a Assist Trophy, if anything, it might just be a replacement for Transform and work in tandem with Zelda just as Diddy Kong said.

That being said, let's not for get that Samus can transform into Zero Suit Samus by Taunting, so I don't see why Zelda couldn't work the same way.

XTheElegantShadowX

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3625-7979-8675
Implying Sakurai wouldn't be using an assist to troll people.
Considering that it is in the same animation style as Zelda, as opposed to the more cartoon-esque it possessed in its own games, I doubt that it is an Assist. However, I wouldn't put it past Sakurai to troll the fans a bit with a bit of clever timing.

Bah! I'm just hoping that Zelda Finally gets something new that could be considered a buff. XD

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Considering that it is in the same animation style as Zelda, as opposed to the more cartoon-esque it possessed in its own games, I doubt that it is an Assist. However, I wouldn't put it past Sakurai to troll the fans a bit with a bit of clever timing.

Bah! I'm just hoping that Zelda Finally gets something new that could be considered a buff. XD
Even gamefaqs realizes that it's extremely likely that it's possibly an assist trophy. lol

So we shouldn't all jump on the moveset change bandwagon. Yet. (It's probably slower then Luma anyway. lol) Wait till we get more footage or Sakurai confirms it.

Top Bottom