• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda's Lightning Kick

Pappioll

Smash Apprentice
Everyone is well known of Zelda's Lightning Kick in Melee, it's dangerous if aimed and timed perfectly and also the perfect KO weapon. The question is though, will it be just as good in Brawl too, or will it be nerfed/improved?

When looking at the effects of her kick, it actually looks slightly bigger in Brawl.
What do you think? Discuss!

Drake3

Smash Ace
Definitely nerfed. It'll probably be harder to time and do much less damage/knockback. In the SSE vid, she uses it alot, but it's too blurry to tell if anything's been changed to its structure. She also doesn't connect it to any primid so you can't tell if anything's actually been altered.

Iris

Smash Ace
I hope it's not nerfed too bad if it is at all. I agree though, that people should rely on other KO moves as well, hopefully hinting that the others are majorly improved.

Pappioll

Smash Apprentice
I hope it's not nerfed too bad if it is at all. I agree though, that people should rely on other KO moves as well, hopefully hinting that the others are majorly improved.
Exactly. If they nerf it, they need to improve her other moves. Or else, Zelda will just suck in Brawl.

Iris

Smash Ace
If they reduce the power and knockback though, hopefully they'll improve the range, especially of the sweetspot.

Zone

Smash Champion
Kick is the #1 thing going for her, It causes people who don't know the match up vs Zelda to shield immedately after they touch your shield. It's that scary. Hopefully it stays scary, because frankly Zelda isn't very good at keeping any kind of pressure, especially not against people who can outrange her (Like Marth) or people who are fast(Fox)

Krytha

Smash Journeyman
If they nerf the kick, what else can she do? The kick is already hard enough to pull off against real opponents and she doesn't have the speed, maneuverability or power of Captain Falcon that he has along with his knee. Too many of Zelda's moves are unaided and do ridiculously small amounts of damage and knockback and she is too slow to follow up these tiny weak attacks. They should sweetspot her Dair like her lightning kick, make her Fsmash one solid hit (since everyone just DIs out of her regular one) and just make her other moves more powerful and less laggy overall...

Iris

Smash Ace
Actually, I doubt they'll weaken her Lightning Kick. I just remembered how they paid special attention to it in Melee and purposely made it powerful. It's not like Peach's downsmash where a glitch in the system made it super powerful on accident. It was intended to be a great KO move, so they wouldn't make it worse, if anything they would make it better.

I'm surprised it took me a while to remember considering a picture of the trophy is in the first post.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm expecting a nerf of the kick. However, I'm also expecting a buff to her overal mobility, and the usefulness of all her other attacks. They did it to Peach already, to an extent. Dsmash nerf, almost everything else buffed.

Drake3

Smash Ace
Actually, I doubt they'll weaken her Lightning Kick. I just remembered how they paid special attention to it in Melee and purposely made it powerful. It's not like Peach's downsmash where a glitch in the system made it super powerful on accident. It was intended to be a great KO move, so they wouldn't make it worse, if anything they would make it better.

I'm surprised it took me a while to remember considering a picture of the trophy is in the first post.
Yeah I change my answer due to that trophy. I still expect an alteration though.

Zone

Smash Champion
I'm expecting a nerf of the kick. However, I'm also expecting a buff to her overal mobility, and the usefulness of all her other attacks. They did it to Peach already, to an extent. Dsmash nerf, almost everything else buffed.
That's a good assumption considering he has been nerfing alot of powerful moves, and buffing everything else on alot of the characters.

Drake3

Smash Ace
I think the idea in Brawl is "Use more than 1 attack". Captain Falcon's knee will be amputated.

Zone

Smash Champion
I think the idea in Brawl is "Use more than 1 attack". Captain Falcon's knee will be amputated.
It's a good concept, making more uses of other moves leaves open for less predictability. If nearly all moves of all characters have their uses, then it'll be harder to know what's coming.

ZackInTheBox

Smash Rookie
Personally I think that they would have no reason to take it away, as the lightning kick was one of the biggest appeals of playing Zelda, and they'd be making her an even less effective charactor.
It should also be considered that if they detach/remove Shiek from Zelda they'll probably try as much as they can to make zelda more of a 'whole' charactor, by improving her overall ability, that would mean not removing what is arguably her best move.

Zone

Smash Champion
Personally I think that they would have no reason to take it away, as the lightning kick was one of the biggest appeals of playing Zelda, and they'd be making her an even less effective charactor.
It should also be considered that if they detach/remove Shiek from Zelda they'll probably try as much as they can to make zelda more of a 'whole' charactor, by improving her overall ability, that would mean not removing what is arguably her best move.
I don't think it's arguable. B-air and F-air ARE her best moves >.>

sheikattack

Smash Cadet
Without the Lightning Kick, what is the point of playing Zelda? It is the easiest way to get a KO, and it's not even easy because she is so slow. If they made it worse it would effectively destroy her playability.

Zone

Smash Champion
Fix'd. Just kidding of course~
lol :laugh:

Without the Lightning Kick, what is the point of playing Zelda? It is the easiest way to get a KO, and it's not even easy because she is so slow. If they made it worse it would effectively destroy her playability.
well there wouldn't be one, if she stayed the way she is and got her kick tooken away. However, I think if Zelda's grab was fast as marth, and she could run like fox. She'd be Top freaking tier >.>

ronnietheboywonder

Smash Apprentice
I started calling it "Mega Kick" with my friends, you know....like in pokemon lol

I sometimes KO people with that down move in the air, when opponents have high HP, it does work =)

Ztarfish

Smash Journeyman
Since the Kick is kind of a crutch that Zelda leans on (besides Sheik of course) there is no reason why, if it were nerfed, Zelda wouldn't get some sort of compensation buff.

Santini

Smash Journeyman
This sounds pretty likely

debaser

Smash Lord
Why should they nerf it? What else does she have? Keep the Lightning Kick and buff everything else I say.

SeventhSage

Smash Apprentice
I want her lightning kick to be as strong (or stronger) and everything else buffed. I also feel that she'll have a kick *** final smash.

HipsterKid

Smash Ace
Alright, let's see.

Aerial Attacks
The kick should be only slightly nerfed to being ~15% if connected correctly and with only slightly less knockback. Down tilt should remain the same. Neutral Air needs to be able to get more damage in, similar to Mewtwo's Neutral Air. Up Air just needs to be faster in activation.

Smash Attacks
I think that Up Smash and Forward Smash either have to suck in the opponent or only have one strike similar to Dr. Mario's Forward Smash. Down Smash is fine the way it is.

Tilt (Strong) Attacks
I think that the tilts are just fine with the exception of activation time. Up Tilt and Forward Tilt are fine with damage and knockback but they need to be faster. They can be good killing moves but they are so hard to hit with that it doesn't work too often. Down tilt... well that I guess can stay the same. Something has to stay weak for the rest to get strong although from the below picture it does look a bit stronger.

Special Moves
I honestly have no problem with special moves. Maybe Nayru's love should be able to strike more or at least the crystals should remain there a tad longer. With Din's Fire you should still be able to jump after using it or it should get Heavy Armor. Farore's wind definitely needs Heavy Armor. The Transformation, I'll leave up to everyone else since I'm rather neutral on the situation.

Overall, Zelda needs to be faster. Grabs need to come out a lot faster as well.

I know I got really off topic there but I was on a roll and I just couldn't stop. :/

Williampettysan

Smash Journeyman
Isn't it more of a Light kick the Lightning, in Zelda games she's the princess of light...

Anyway your right... I hope they make Zelda the same in some ways, as long as she's still awsome. :)

CCC07

Smash Apprentice
Her moves should be buffed. her F-smash should be one
hit because people regularly just DI out of it. her D-smash should
be fully changed. And her D-Air was just pointless. also considering that
fact sheik might not make it means zelda has to be a much better
char.

Iris

Smash Ace
I don't see why the kick should be nerfed. Yeah, it was good, but it wasn't the best, and it won't be heavily relied on if other moves get the necessary buff. Besides, considering you have to sweetspot it and Melee gave it special attention at being a KO move, they wouldn't take that away. That would be like cutting Falcon Punch's knockback in half. Getting rid of an attack's power because it was too heavily relied on doesn't always mean the attack is cheap. In Zelda's case, it means the rest of her attacks just aren't good enough.

If they remove the kick, Zelda's aerial game will be a complete failure. Keep the kick, improve the rest. She's in drastic need of it. I mean, I wouldn't have a problem using her forward smash to kill instead of her Fair/Dair as long as it's able to connect this time around.

Edit: CC07, why should her Down Smash be changed? I'm just curious since a lot of people say it. It's a pretty quick move with good range and knockback. It's certainly one of her better ground moves.

:034:

Smash Hero
IF the kicks are nerfed, the rest needs an IMMENSE buff. Like so.

- Nayru's Love should be chargeable and do more damage.
- All attacks should rack more damage and be harder to DI out of.
- Overall more speed and power.
- Make Din's Fire more controllable or actually worth the trouble.
- More reach with magic attacks.
- Better downtilt.
- More knockback.
- More killing moves besides the Kicks.

That's a lot of buffs. This should happen anyway, even if the Kicks aren't nerfed.

Zone

Smash Champion
I don't see why the kick should be nerfed. Yeah, it was good, but it wasn't the best, and it won't be heavily relied on if other moves get the necessary buff. Besides, considering you have to sweetspot it and Melee gave it special attention at being a KO move, they wouldn't take that away. That would be like cutting Falcon Punch's knockback in half. Getting rid of an attack's power because it was too heavily relied on doesn't always mean the attack is cheap. In Zelda's case, it means the rest of her attacks just aren't good enough.

If they remove the kick, Zelda's aerial game will be a complete failure. Keep the kick, improve the rest. She's in drastic need of it. I mean, I wouldn't have a problem using her forward smash to kill instead of her Fair/Dair as long as it's able to connect this time around.

Edit: CC07, why should her Down Smash be changed? I'm just curious since a lot of people say it. It's a pretty quick move with good range and knockback. It's certainly one of her better ground moves.
The point is, if they are going to buff other moves, you can't leave the kick the way it is. Because most likely if other moves are buffed, ALOT more things will lead into kicks, and that could potentially lead to broken characters. Balance ^.~

I guess that's what people are speculating anyways. about the kick getting nerfed.

Iris

Smash Ace
If the others are buffed, why would they lead to kicks? Knockback hasn't been a problem, it's simply connecting attacks, so it's not like Lightning Kick would still be her only finisher. If moves like her forward smash, up smash, and forward tilt can connect better, they'll have the potential for being KO moves. Buffing other moves just makes her kick more situational.

Besides, it's Zelda's style to have powerful magic attacks. They cheated her in melee, as her "reliable and explosive attack power" wasn't at all reliable, and only a few were fairly explosive.

Krytha

Smash Journeyman
Man I don't even care. I hope Zelda is broken next time around so I can playyyy her all the time without having to try hard.

Zelda Master

Smash Journeyman
IF the kicks are nerfed, the rest needs an IMMENSE buff. Like so.

- Nayru's Love should be chargeable and do more damage.
- All attacks should rack more damage and be harder to DI out of.
- Overall more speed and power.
- Make Din's Fire more controllable or actually worth the trouble.
- More reach with magic attacks.
- Better downtilt.
- More knockback.
- More killing moves besides the Kicks.

That's a lot of buffs. This should happen anyway, even if the Kicks aren't nerfed.
I totally agree.

Zelda_Sheik

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if I am in the minority who used her Down Smash, Forward Smash, and Up Smash on the Earth and on the air and not always depending on the Lightning Kick.

B = Nayru's Love. If they aren't going to buff it, it would be better to remove it.
B + Left / Right = Din's fire. Needs speed, strenght, size and easily to control and cancel.
B + Down = Transforming. Nothing to say cause it is just a transformation.
B + Up = Farore's Wind. It has a lot of range. It needs armor so that when you use it you are not affected by any damage.

A = This energy ball is mediocre. It is fast but it doesn't inflicts many damage.
" " Air = It needs strenght, speed and harder to escape from.
A + Left / Right Smash = It needs to be more harder to escape from.
" " while running = I use it a lot. It is Ok to me.
" " air = Her best attack. The very famous LIGHTENING KICK !
A + Down Smash = It is actually good but needs a little more strenght.
A + Up Smash = It also needs to be harder to escape from.
" " Air = The explosion is fine sometimes but other times it doesn't do damage and it also looked pretty bad.

A + Up = When it is aimed is pretty good.
A + Left / Right Tilt = Needs speed but it was Ok.

Edit : Yesterday I made a mistake.
A + Up Tilt = I use it a lot in battle especially when I don't want to use the ligthening kick. (Sorry for the confusion)
A + Down tilt = Second worst attack. It is pretty weak.
A + Down tilt air = Worst attack. Slow and weak.

I think her grabbing needs a little more speed.

Iris

Smash Ace
Her up tilt certainly wasn't her worst move. Pretty good range, and it's actually reliable. Also, it isn't weak, it has about as much knockback as her up smash, if not more.

PyroRyuken

Smash Ace
If they do nerf her kick, they will boost her in other aspects. Otherwise, she will lose her playability big time.

HipsterKid

Smash Ace
Her up tilt certainly wasn't her worst move. Pretty good range, and it's actually reliable. Also, it isn't weak, it has about as much knockback as her up smash, if not more.
I have to agree with you on this one. I find the tilts to be a lot more reliable than the smashes actually. With the exception of the down tilt and the down smash, I prefer tilts. They have a better chance of hitting, or at least I think so.

Top Bottom