• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zeldas Dtilt

Oh Snap

Smash Ace
NNID
iSwallow
But Nayru's have a bit of end lag...I think the opponent can get up before you can Dtilt...

I usually use it randomly when I see a chacne...
I haven't been using it lately...probably why I've been losing a lot hehe.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Dtilt comes out on frame 6 and has amazing priority, clashing with MK's tornado. So use it whenever you see fit!

Kaffei

Smash Hero
But Nayru's have a bit of end lag...I think the opponent can get up before you can Dtilt...

I usually use it randomly when I see a chacne...
I haven't been using it lately...probably why I've been losing a lot hehe.
That's true, but the end lag is balanced out by the distance/time the enemy is thrown. You have VERY little time to use a D-tilt after Nar's, but if you can pull it off, it will piss off your opponent.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Just wanted to point something out.

The Sonic matchup discussion has brought this to my attention, dtilt is a great defensive option. Against Zelda, a large amount of the cast will have only one reliable approach: dash into a shield. Sheik, Fox, Sonic, Falcon, Ness all come to mind off the top of my head. Instead of spacing fsmashes which can be punished, i'm learning to properly space my dtilts which halts approaches, pokes their shield, and leaves me virtually unpunishable.

Dtilt is great for defense and offense, start mixing in more dtilts and jabs to avoid being grabbed all the time.

Kaffei

Smash Hero

The Sonic matchup discussion has brought this to my attention, dtilt is a great defensive option. Against Zelda, a large amount of the cast will have only one reliable approach: dash into a shield. Sheik, Fox, Sonic, Falcon, Ness all come to mind off the top of my head. Instead of spacing fsmashes which can be punished, i'm learning to properly space my dtilts which halts approaches, pokes their shield, and leaves me virtually unpunishable.

Dtilt is great for defense and offense, start mixing in more dtilts and jabs to avoid being grabbed all the time.
Wow... Never thought of that. I'll experiment would that later. Thanks! :p

Bandit

Smash Lord
Dtilt out of shield is more useful than shield grabbing. If they are in the mid-percentages, then you may be able to lock them to kill percentages or just kill them when they pop up. I use this move a lot, and it is always decayed which seems to keep players tripping more.

If you see someone is about to escape the trip trap, then fmash or ftilt. This move also works great against metaknight. It takes the dash approach out of the game, and metaknight has problems DI'ing out of it. Meta's like to upB out of locks or combos like this, and it won't work in this case. I scored a big kill in a crew battle against Forte's metaknight because he kept tried to upB out. Most of them will think of this before DI'ing.

I know for sure that it clashes with kirby's fmash (been said it clashes with a lot), but it is one of his best kill moves so keep that in mind. Also, dtilt is faster so if he throws anymore out after the first, you will have to delay the dtilt a bit to continue to clash. I tested this in a friendly with a kid. We moved across the stage, but with each clash, he moved backward a little bit. He eventually was out of range and I let him whiff on a fsmash and punished with an Utilt. I'm not saying your opponent will keep fmashing, but the tilt will push them back a bit so it will improve your spacing.

This move is 100% essential to Zelda's metagame.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Dtilt also helps out her grab game. If they happen to not trip and powershield in between one of your dtilts.........that gets you a free grab. If they spotdodge, pivot grab. Dtilt is really just an excellent move, as Red Bandit pointed out it also clashes with numerous strong moves.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Confused here!! help ¤_¤

My friends Ganon keep escaping my Dtilt lock O_o ... it's not that he's DI'ing out of it..
Thing is he sometimes Powershields it at around 60% O___o

He says he's just buttonmashing.

So it isn't a garantued against some chars? T_T

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Confused here!! help ¤_¤

My friends Ganon keep escaping my Dtilt lock O_o ... it's not that he's DI'ing out of it..

Yes they can powershield in between dtilts if they do not trip. In that case, just grab them.

This isn't like a guaranteed chaingrab or Sheiks lock, this is merely just a fantastic damage racker that can lead into different moves and setups.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
That means you're not doing it at the right percents. Like any other "lock" the percents and move freshness at which you do it dictate whether or not it truly combos. This isn't something I should have to be telling anyone.
I want numbers.

I think it's best to use it during mid-high percentages. You might wanna try 50%-70%. I think that's when they get locked a lot more then usual.

I remember getting someone from 70% to over 100% and then dsmashing them away :D
Like this guy.

I'd say... damages uder 100% for 2 or three hits, unless you get REALLY lucky with tripping
And this guy.

Sir, I am intrigued by your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Bandit

Smash Lord
Confused here!! help ¤_¤

As Marsulas said, if they aren't tripping consistently, they can powershield with perfect timing. If you ever screw around with a computer they will do it all the time.

PK-OW! said:
I want numbers.
I have had consistent tripping at 40% and above with Dtilt. I use it frequently which causes it to be decayed. When it is decayed, it trips more consistently. When it is fresh, 80% and above could lead to the character popping up (which could be used for combos if you know they will pop up). If I use Dtilt at low percents I usually trip them once and fsmash. I don't bother trying for the lock because 2 or 3 hits later they won't trip and will punish you.

Just remember, each character you face has a different percent range so you have to play with it, but if you decay the move, it will lead to consistent trips.

Villi

Smash Lord
I don't think you can tilt lock Donkey Kong, and maybe some others. There really shouldn't be a difference between perfect timing and simply holding your shield button down to put your shield up at the soonest possible frame.

At percents when DK should be tilt locked because he goes into his stumbling animation when he's hit by dtilt (as opposed to the simple hit stun animation or falling on his *** from a trip), he rises above your hit box in a dramatic spin and lands with enough time to powershield the next dtilt. =( It would be nice to be able to rack that kinda damage on DK, but alas no tilt lock.

Dtilt has good priority vs grounded attacks because its undecayed damage is 7% (it doesn't matter if it's decayed or not). Anything that causes 17% + damage (like Marth's fsmash tipper) or simply avoids the hitbox out-prioritizes it. Aerials will mostly always outprioritize it because they usually don't aim to hit your feets and aerials don't clank.

Bandit

Smash Lord
I was completely unaware. I faced DKSmash in tournament and could barely get near him with all of DK's range. When I did, I know I landed a few but I quickly fsmashed or Usmashed. I will have to try this out though to see if there's something else you can do in this case.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Yes they can powershield in between dtilts if they do not trip. In that case, just grab them.

This isn't like a guaranteed chaingrab or Sheiks lock, this is merely just a fantastic damage racker that can lead into different moves and setups.
Maybe it works better/worse on certain chars?

Bandit

Smash Lord
Dtilt has good priority vs grounded attacks because its undecayed damage is 7% (it doesn't matter if it's decayed or not). Anything that causes 17% + damage (like Marth's fsmash tipper) or simply avoids the hitbox out-prioritizes it. Aerials will mostly always outprioritize it because they usually don't aim to hit your feets and aerials don't clank.
There is a difference between priority and range. I would expect marth's fsmash to have more range than my dtilt, so I would come up short and the other player would probably tipper. Plus, how many attacks do you know that cause 17%+ damage? Are you going to walk up to someone while they are charging their big smash just because you think can clank it? That is when you sit back and let them do the move and punish when they whiff. More than likely, they charged it by mistake and they need to be punished for it.

Also, you'd be surprised what dtilt can beat in the air if people are low enough to be hit. Sit on a platform at battlefield and have a friend jump up throwing aerials to see what it can beat. It will either win or lose.

Davy Jones

Smash Ace
It is good at edge defensing against Olimar, Ivy and Zamus. Nice meteor smash if used at close range against hanging. It also acts like a banana peel if used against a ground target.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
There is a difference between priority and range. I would expect marth's fsmash to have more range than my dtilt, so I would come up short and the other player would probably tipper. Plus, how many attacks do you know that cause 17%+ damage? Are you going to walk up to someone while they are charging their big smash just because you think can clank it? That is when you sit back and let them do the move and punish when they whiff. More than likely, they charged it by mistake and they need to be punished for it.

Also, you'd be surprised what dtilt can beat in the air if people are low enough to be hit. Sit on a platform at battlefield and have a friend jump up throwing aerials to see what it can beat. It will either win or lose.
For starters, if you're trying to dtilt Marth when he can tipper an Fsmash, you're probably doing it wrong.

Getting missed charges can happen, but it's not all that common. The move being able to clank is just a bonus, really. You're probably going to shield or dodge instead, but dtilt clanking is better than it not clanking.

Dtilt on plantforms is good... unless they space their uair, and a lot of uairs (and other aerials) are good enough to get past it.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
In case it hasn't been brought up before, dtilt clashes with Snakes utilt.

Bandit

Smash Lord
Wait what? This move is definitely top tier. If only it would clank with something MK has (except nothing does since MK is well... MK)

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Lol, it does have insane priority for a little kick. It clanks with MK's nado, anything else MK has is usually disjointed.

Kishin

Smash Ace
I think that Zelda's D-tilt makes her shorter. I think I was able to dodge Falco's lasers by spamming D-tilt but got hit when I just normally crouched.

Bandit

Smash Lord
That is why her D-Tilt allows you to beat ROB's ftilt. His Ftilt is one of the rangiest ground moves in the game, but we get by it because he swings over top.

Top Bottom