• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda - Timeline, story, weird miscellany, etc. discussion. (USE SPOILER TAGS)

Dark Young Link

BRoomer
BRoomer
First off, DYL, i don't see where you're getting this deal involving Adult Link and Epona. Adult Link's involvement comes BEFORE his involvement in MM
Not if you look at it chronologically. Think about it for a minute with me. How can adult Link go on an adventure with adult Epona before young Link goes on one with young Epona? That bit of logic right there should tell you that MM took place during OoT.

P.S. Firaga, i think DYL is on to our plot to drive him insane
Haha! *insane laugh*

Two Reasons:
1. The Master Sword seals Ganondorf's power. If Link took the Master Sword back out of Ganondorf, Ganondorf would still be alive.
2. There wasn't any time. The Great Sea was flooding in, and soon after the battle, Link and Zelda get transported in bubbles.
Third reason: If he took it out, the blade would be all bloody and brainy ewwwww!

MK: Very good points.

firaga01

Smash Lord
DAMMIT I had this HUGE article going and then all of a sudden the screen closes. ****! Well, I guess u guys are going to have to settle for the abbreviated version.

When Zelda sends Link back into time to relive his childhood, he cannot appear after Ganon has touched the Triforce cause then he and the rest of Hyrule would be screwed. So, he had to be transported either before or during the period when Ganon is in the Golden Land about to touch the Triforce. BECAUSE HE STOPS GANON FROM GETTING POWER, HE HAS MADE UP TWO TIMELINES IN ONE. The first timeline is the OOT one (where link sleeps for 7 yrs and then kicks Ganon's ***). This timeline ends back where it started since Zelda transports Link back to before or during the start of it. Because Ganon has never gained power, Link now can live his childhood. Enter MM two years later. Thus, OOT was a timeline, but MM takes place in a different one, but it doesn't really matter because the two timelines eventually converge back into one at the end of the second timeline. Okay so far?

Oh and that Epona deal. MM Link obviously remembers it from his time in OOT, and in OOT he uses Epona because he remembers it from his childhood (You can get Epona's Song from Romani when you are Y. Link. Just go see Romani during the day.). The Link that went to Termina is the Link that endured OOT, so naturally he'd use the same horse. And in OOT u use that horse because u knows the song. However, the song can be learned both when you're an Adult and when you're Young, so it does create some confusion. HOWEVER, when you're an Adult, no one really tells you that Epona is the fastest horse while if u visit Romani in you're childhood I think she tells u it's the fastest horse on the ranch. Therefore, wouldn't it imply that Y.Link visited Romani Ranch, and learned that Epona was the fastest horse there? And then wouldn't he use this knowledge to beat Ingo 7 yrs later? And since he knows 1st-hand that Epona is the fastest horse on the ranch, wouldn't he also use that horse to go find Navi?

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
Firaga, you seem pretty solid on the whole epona thing. As far as the multiple timelines thing, the second timeline would not have been created when Zelda sent him back in time at the end of OoT. By that point, there are already two timelines or there isn't. It would have been created the first time he comes back to the past. Let me explain. Link has already lived the 7 years he was asleep. They are already his past. To him they've already happened. When he goes back to his childhood, the first thing he does, separates it from his past. Example, Link comes back from the future, squashes a bug. In the future, the bug is not squished, because that bugs future has already happened; he has already lived that seven years. Therefore there are now two timelines; one where the bug is squished (YLink's timeline, can we call it YLT from now one?) and one where it is not ALink's timeline, shall we call it ALT for the sake of my sanity?). For there to have been two timelines, anything YLink does in his timeline after he returns from the future WILL NOT CARRY OVER TO ALT (review, ALT = Adult Link's Timeline). As anyone can plainly see, Link's actions DO carry over, thus proving that there cannot be two timelines and that he was sent back to after Gannondorf has taken the triforce (not the smartest move on Zelda's part, but from her perspective, her very existence could be prevented if she allowed Link to interfere w/ Gannondorf obtaining the triforce).

I guess that's all the two cents i got in me today

Dark Young Link

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wait… you guys believe that Link stopped Ganon from getting the Triforce of Power?! How can WW or any of the other Zelda’s take place if Ganon didn’t take the Triforce from the Golden Land? Because that would mean that the Triforce is still safely tucked away in the Golden Land… And Link, Ganon and Zelda would not have their piece…

That’s some very good reasoning, rAt, about the single timeline thing...

Raccoon87

Smash Lord
Can anyone explain to me what happened to the fairy assisstants in Wind Waker? I would think that the Koroks would at least have some symbiotic relationship with them still.

Dark Young Link

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hmm, that’s a very good question, Raccoon. I duno... Maybe when the world flooded, they couldn’t find a place to land and drowned in the ocean... *sniff*

Thanks for the complement, Shingking, but it’s really not my theory, as much as it is everyone’s theory and I just made some improvements...

Man, I feel so dirty leaving such a short post... I've got to disable my sig to make up for it!

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
As for the fairies... well, i'd thought that those little lightning bug things on the Deku Tree's island (Forest Haven, is it? sorry for confusion if i dont have the island name right, i never really bothered to memorize island names in WW) were fairies, but i guess not. Maybe in this new form, the Koroks have no need for the fairies? I mean, before, they were said to be "gaurdian" fairies, maybe they were a part of the Deku tree's protection? And then when the Kokiri changed into Koroks, they were free to move about hyrule and didn't need the fairies' protection? I dunno, a shot in the dark, i guess.

Anyway, am i allowed to take some credit for OUR single timeline theory? Okay, so DYL came up with it but i helped too (sorta)... :cool:

Hey, DYL, don't fret (lol, i love that word... fret... ha!). As soon as we start getting info on the next Zelda game, the longwinded theoretical and oppinionated posts shall ensue. In the meentime, there really isn't a whole lot of hard hitting Zelda issues... wow that sounded like Dateline or something... Anyways, rest assured, the time shall come when we shall have more to talk about then we can handle, instead of trying to find something worth discussing.

And btw, to fill up your post, leave comments at the bottom of the page about your two cents... trust me, it helps... :D

Well, I like the two timeline/river analogy, but here's how I see it. I'm going to be very liberal with the timeline/river analogy, because I have to.

The actual fork in the river is at the moment Link is about to break the Door of Time with the Song of time. If we row our boat of observation down the left fork, Link breaks the Door of Time, seizes the Master Sword, falls asleep for 7 years, and opens the way for Ganondorf. If we row our boat of observation down the right fork, Link remembers what will happen if he breaks the Door of Time, so he doesn't break it.

If we row down the left fork 7 years, we see Link waking up to see Hyrule Ganondorf's way. From here, any time he travels back in time 7 years to get the Lens of Truth or to plant more beans, he sticks to the left fork, never touching the right one. After Link and the Sages seal Ganon along the left fork, Zelda sends Link all the way back to the split, to before the Door of Time was broken.

Now if we row down the right fork 2 years, Link is now 12 years old and MM happens. If we row down the left fork hundreds of years, WW happens. All other Zelda games lie on the left fork.

Raccoon87

Smash Lord
Thank you for reminding me Rat. I think I know why there aren't any fairies. When the Kokiri turned into Koroks, they basically became a part of the forest. And with the Deku Tree as the Protector of the Forest, there was no need for the fairies to protect the Koroks when the Deku Tree could. So I guess the assistant fairies turned into those balls of light.

Dark Young Link

BRoomer
BRoomer
Nice analogy, SMM. Very nice. Okay, I will follow SMM’s river thing (pun – har har) with my own thoughts.

Okay, everything is like SMM explained, except the left branch of the river - instead of going on forever - loops back right after OoT and connects to the main river right where the split occurs. So that when Link is sent back in time from the left side, he is torn in two and must follow the right branch to continue the series, while at the same time, go back through the left side and continue to flow with the water through the loop again.

It reminds me of an episode of Star Trek: TNG where there’s a time loop and they are reliving the same period of time forever until they get it right. Except for Link there is no "right". He just does it over and over again, forever more.

Nic64

Smash Lord
All other Zelda games lie on the left fork.

I think LTTP and LoZ have to be on seperate forks, Ganon dies in both of them. I never played the GB games but I think someone said he died in one of them too.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I didn't go through the last two pages of the topic, but why would the Temple of Time, the LoZ equivalent to say, The Vatican or Taj Mahal or whatever, suddenly disappear like that? It's a major place in OoT, no mention of it in LttP.

EDIT: Totally forgot WW, but nonetheless, wouldn't someone rebuild it along with Hyrule?

Nic64

Smash Lord
Maybe Ganondorf destroyed it? Even if LTTP and WW are not on seperate forks(idk about that, it does seem possible) no one knew much about hyrule, it was just a legend. Plus as someone said, keeping the Master Sword in the temple of time might've posed a security risk...eventually it just ends up in the forest so no one will find it, along with a spell that causes fog to discourage people from entering the lost woods.

It's also possible that only the obvious games like OoT > MM > WW have anything to do with each other at all, if Termina is like Hyrule...who's to say there aren't many similar places that are also named hyrule within the multiverse?

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
My idea of the Timeline and why...

Link #1
Link to the Past
LoZ
AoL

Link to the Past just seems to be the opener. they introduce Gannondorf and it comes just after LoZ and AoL making it obvious that it is the same Link and it is a prequel to the two.

Link #2
OoT / MM (since they kinda happened at the same time)
Seasons

I doubt anyone disagrees that Link from OoT and Link from MM are the same. mainly due to the fact Link has memories of Zelda giving him the Ocarina of Time. Seasons dosnt seem to have all that much place in the timeline. though Link appears to be older the Young Link. I feel this is whats happening to Link in between OoT / MM and the new release coming in 2005. as for the 2005 release not much is known. some think that Link's horse isnt Epona. who is in both OoT and MM. plus the land of Hyrule hasnt really changed as far as we know.

Link #3
WW
LA

Its obvious that WW comes long after the rest. this brings up Link's Awakening. even though this game came out long ago, it still seems like this is cell shaded Young Link. He too seems to be a sailor. and Marion is in it. perhaps just in spirit? I say this due to the fact that none of these people he met in LA never existed due to this just being a dream. all but the wind fish that is. and take note that this is the wind fish, you use and ocarina, and its focused around music. all of this seems to point to Wind Waker Link.

I'm throwing out the CDI games and the four swords. just because the CDI games where never intended on being made and the four swords kinda confuses me.

Anyway this is just my view on the LoZ timeline.

TSA

Smash Rookie

The timeline.

All I can tell is there is one (I have chat logs on Nintendo with Bill Trinent speaking about Miyamoto and Aonuma and that the timeline exists) and that they (Aonuma and Co.) are trying to get it hammered out.

The only issue I think comes into play is the multiple timeline theory vs single timeline. And it all boils down to what information you trust, and who you trut. You probably don't trust me very much, but around the Zelda community, my word holds some merit. Basically there are only a few things known for sure:

Ocarina of Time has a direct sequel, Majora's Mask.
The Wind Waker is after Ocarina of Time.
A Link to the Past is after Ocarina of TIme.
A Link to the Past has a direct sequel, Link's Awakening.
The Legend of Zelda has a direct sequel, The Adventure of Link.
The Minish Cap comes before Four Swords, which comes before Hyrulean Adventure.
The CD-i games aren't counted.
The Game and Watch and Game Watch are not counted.
No game involving the unified Triforce or the Triforce of Courage can take place between Ocarina of Time and The Wind Waker.

I can 100% back up any of those statements with sufficient proof, not theory, from in-game text and manuals. From there, it's not so easy to piece the puzzle together. Personally, I 100% do not believe in a multi-timeline theory. I found enough evidence in The Wind Waker to tie it to both Adult and Young Link eras in Ocarina of Time, and Majora's Mask.

Of course...there really isn't any way to prove any one timeline at the moment, but I have faith one day it will be unvieled. Maybe an intro to a new game will put it all together in writing.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
well there are different Links, thats known for sure. Shigeru Miyamoto's press conference over the Wind Waker proves that much. and the latest conference with Shigeru Miyamoto proves this is a Link we've seen before. WW Link was the third according to Shigeru Miyamoto. and he also claims we have seen him before too. Link to the Past Link is the same Link as the first two, and OoT and MM Link has a different origin story then that of Link to the Past Link. and then you have WW Link, and that obviously happens long after OoT. I dunno...

silentspectre

Smash Cadet
master sword question

how come in OoT, when link's sword gets deflected from ganon's attack and the sword gets to the point where zelda is, why can't zelda just pick up the sword and throw it to link? if it's cuz she couldn't pick it up for sacred purposes, then why could she pick it up in WW? also, i don't think that she couldn't lift the sword in OoT cuz it was too heavy, especially when in WW, zelda was a kid and could pick up the sword, but in OoT, she couldn't pick it up even though she's in adult form.

TSA

Smash Rookie
Q) How come in OoT, when link's sword gets deflected from ganon's attack and the sword gets to the point where zelda is, why can't zelda just pick up the sword and throw it to link?

A) Because in just the game Ocarina of Time, it was explained that only the Master Sword could chose the wielder, and the wielder at that time in Hyrule had to be "The Hero of Time". Thus, only Link could use it. Not to mention, it is only a game. Those flames could have been higher, thicker, or even magical so that nothing could pass through them. Who knows.

Q) If it's cuz she couldn't pick it up for sacred purposes, then why could she pick it up in WW?

A) The Master Sword in The Wind Waker did not require any special "requirements" to use it. In fact, it wasn't even fully powered when Link retrieved it. Also, notice the "glow" of the Master Sword. It vanishes for a part when Link finally confrotns Ganondorf atop his tower in the end. When Zelda wields it, it also lacks that glow. Maybe it can't have full power when one not worthy wields it, or if the person who has it momentarily loses their "traits" that granted them the ability to wield it. THe part where it loses its glow when Link holds it, it appears Link became scared, losing his courage.

Q) Also, i don't think that she couldn't lift the sword in OoT cuz it was too heavy, especially when in WW, zelda was a kid and could pick up the sword, but in OoT, she couldn't pick it up even though she's in adult form.

A) The Master Sword is a "hand and a half" blade. Or I think a ******* blade. Not sure, but it's not truly meant to be used with one hand. In TWW, I am not sure how the **** a young Link can wield it, or Princess Zelda. Notice Princess Zelda in TWW has a hard time holding it, though. Maybe the Master Sword can change sizes to fit the hero? Don't know.

mooseproduce

Smash Ace
Man, I hate how people talk about time splits. I'm REAL SURE there would only be two timelines. What if Link stopped to scratch his nose? There's another timeline. What if he tripped and fell on his sword? There's a timeline where he doesn't exist. In reality, choosing not to open a door isn't as simple as just choosing not to open a door. It's more like an interaction between an absoultely ******** amount of subatomic particles, light waves/particles(whichever), blah de blah... not to mention, what if other people around the world are making other choices that are splitting time?

Besides, when two particles collide, if you could pause time and look at their respective speeds and positions, you could calculate the angle of each of their trajectories after the collision. So there's really only one possible outcome of time, dudes... I don't beleive in "fate", but I sure as heck can't see how time could "split" to accomodate different possibilities. Because, you know, there's only one possible way every intereaction of every particle in the world could go. Know what I mean? :p

The idea of the multiverse was originally that, given an infinite number of universes, everything would eventually happen in one of them. That is to say, stick ten monkeys with typewriters in a room for an infinite amount of time and they'd eventually write shakespeare (to use a cliché). The idea is that, because there would be an infinite number of universes, every possible combination of atom positioning that a universe could contain will eventually be the contents of a universe. (Technically, of infinite universes, because that's how frikkin' huge infinity happens to be.)

So yeah... bottom line is that having "two universes" which have resulted from "a choice to open a door" is the most rediculous and illogical thing ever. :p However, if the multiverse theory is true, then there will eventually be (and already has been, and is) a universe (infinity universes, actually) in which all atoms in the past, future, and present, have corresponded to the scenario you have described.

Natch!

Sensai

Smash Master
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand BUMP!

(shatter shatter) The world trembles as the Bump of Ages awakens the deeply buried Thread of Time!

I call upon you thinkers to once again attempt to create the timeline of the timless Legend of Zelda series. Now that Twilight Princess has come and gone, it is time for the fires to be rekindled and the plans to be redrawn.

If you don't care for the timeline theory, or think that the games are unrelated, let this thread die and fade once again into the ground. If you find it interesting, like me, then contribute to the thread.

Where would you supporters of the multiple timelines put TP? Where would you who support a singular timeline play TP?

As for me, I'm unsure as to the placement of the game. It's obviously after OoT, as stated numerous times, but it seems to be before the WW.

If I had to put together a (rather hasty) timeline, it would look something like this:

Minish Cap (solidifies the lore of the boy wearing a green cap)
OoT
MM (this is where things start to get a little sketchy...)
Link's Awakening
LoZ
LA
TP
WW
LttP

Yes, I know I left a few things out. It's just difficult to place some of the games, especially the Oracle games.

Anyways....discussion?

Zink

Smash Champion
This is easy. Keep in mind OoT was supposed to be the prequel to all of them.
OoT- green hat boy/hero legend
MM
TP- my theory is that this took place almost unnoticed, because of the nature of the game's events. So it never became a legend.
WW- new Hyrule
Phantom Hourglass will go here, IIRC
LoZ
LoZ II
LA
LttP

I'm pretty sure of this.
I don't consider the Four Swords set to be part of the main storyline at all- it's like a spinoff.
This is a side note, but I'm so manly that I beat OoT without using a single Deku Nut.

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=920769&topic=24434804

Thats pretty much a summary of every games storylines and where they could/couldn't tie into the overall story. It has a very detailed explanation of the double theory time line and goes into great depth explaining every single part of it. It also has the communities most generally accepted timelines and explains why each game is where it is.

Zink

Smash Champion
Heh, reading back, my timeline fits the criteria of TSA's post a bit back in the thread. I think we should build on that. However, we now know that Phantom Hourglass is the sequel to WW.
New timeline:
OoT
MM
TP
WW
Phantom Hourglass
LoZ
LoZ II
LttP
LA
Oracle of Seasons/Ages

The Four Swords set can really go anywhere after PH, but IMO they shoudl be together chronologically.

Sensai

Smash Master
What basis do you have for putting LoZ directly after PH? I guess you could say that since in LoZ there are no towers or anything, it's directly after Hyrule being flooded....

Zink

Smash Champion
PH takes place in the new Hyrule that Zelda and Link sailed to at the end of WW. So my best guess is that the early games, LoZ through Oracles, take place in this new Hyrule, which accounts for the large lack of familiar landmarks and layout.

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
I... didn't even know TSA posted here. Pretty good stuff, especially since my crew has the same initials.

Hmm, but only 4 posts huh? I guess he didn't come here often.

I'll post my timeline theory once I find it in thehylia.net.

linkw00t

Smash Journeyman
Ok, seems people are behind on the Zelda Lore

Ocarina of Time Link - The very first Link, this game talks about the creation of Hyrule and the Tri-Force, it is mentioned in LTTP that Ganon was once a thief named Ganondorf who stole a piece of the Tri-Force. Which is the event in OoT. Link (Hero of Time, original) travels back and forth in time to prevent the future that is Ganon. He prevents any of the events of OoT from ever happening.

Majora's Mask - Link, Hero of Time, having altered the fate of the world, goes to search for Navi, his farie companion from the OoT. Random adventures afterwards. Nothing is known about the fate of Link after this. This Link hasn't been featured in any other games besides Smash Bros. and Soul Calibur 2. (Story Unrelated)

Twilight Princess - This is the alternate future of Hyrule, Ganondorf never gets to steal a piece of the Triforce. This is why the world is all mixed up from the OoT world. It's because it's an alternate future. Ganondorf is sealed in the Twilight Realm by the Sages, who are different from the OoT sages, because of the alternate timeline. He is destined to have the Triforce so he gets the divine power while he's about to be killed. This Link, I like to call him Feral Link, isn't recognized as a hero, because he turns into a wolf, and he has to keep low Key. Also, the people don't seem to remember ever getting transformed into spirits. Which is a good referance to the next game in the timeline.

Wind Waker - The Great Flood occurs, the old world of Hyrule was flooded. There wasn't a "Hero of Time" to reincarnate to save them, as the problem most likely had nothing to do with the Triforce, which is generally the only reason Link appears. (Other games are sidequests.) Ganondorf gets a piece of the triforce, so does link. Ganon loses it and fights link sword to sword. Link defeats Ganon. This is Link III.

Phantom Hourglass - New Hyrule is found?

Legend of Zelda - Link gathers the piece of the triforce is wisdom and defeats Ganon.

Adventure of Link - Events of Z2 take place, I haven't played it. this is the fourth Link. Same one from the first game.

Link to the Past - The last game in the Triforce - Ganon - Zelda - Link timeline. This Link is the decendant that Ganondorf speaks of exterminating from OoT. Since this Link is said to have a certain lineage. This game mentions the origins of Ganon, being the events from Oot. This is the new Hyrule that Link and Tetra find. Ganon gets the entire triforce, the master sword is still in the forest (The Ruins of the Temple of Time, from OoT and TP) and there are no ruins at all. Ganon creates an alternate world with the power of the whole triforce. Ganon is at his strongest here since he has the whole triforce. Link defeats Ganon at full strength, ganon is finally shown dying. And Link gets the whole triforces and turns to world into the golden land, and it is prosperous for eternity. Link returns the master sword, and it says that The Master Sword rests forever, not stated in the previous games (I don't think). This is link V.

Link's Awakening - This is the same Link from LTTP, says Miyamoto. All a dream.

As for OoA and OoS, I wouldn't know.

As far as the timetravel stuff. I don't like to get into that too much, it makes me think a lot. OoT events are key to the timeline. But the timeline doesn't really fit together that well, so people seem to make things up.

All I can say is that I think a Hero is predestined to save Hyrule, or find it. They are garbed in Green (in tradition of the Hero of Time) and there names are all Link coincodintally.

My Favorite Link is TP link, he's more personal, he has friends and he's on a mission to rescue them, THEN he realizes it's his responsibility to do more.

Midna = Best Side Kick Evar.

Zink

Smash Champion
That's because the Vaati story arcs have little to do with the main arc. They're like the Oracle games- they can fit in anywhere because they don't really relate. I consider it a given that OoT is the first game.
I like how Linkwoot tied together the games, but I don't think TP is an alternate future. If you invert the map of the Wii version left to right, then flip it upside down (this puts Lake Hylia in the correct corner) you get much closer to the OoT Hyrule. In addition, consider the remake of the banishing of Gannondorf scene- it would seem to be a retelling of Zelda and the sages sealing Gdorf in OoT, simply with different names, which can be explained because Midna is the one telling the story, and it's logical the Twili people would change the name of the sgaes to Twilight sages.
Also, in LoZ II, nothing huge happened. Link wen through palaces to get crystals that allowed him to enter the Great Palace and get to Gannon. No triforce.
So, my new timeline-
OoT- origin of green hero legend
>same link
MM

TP- explained above, unnnoticed because normal people don;t notice being spirits. This explains why there is no legend referring to TP.

WW- a bit after TP.

PH- same Link as WW, new hyrule.

LoZ
> same Link
LoZ II

LttP
> same Link
LA

The Vaatie arc I don't consider a part of the main timeline. If it was, and MC came before OoT, there would be references to it, which there are not. In addition, there is never any mention of the Picori in the main arc, which in fact contradicts MC, because it hints that the Picori were involved with the bringing of the Triforce and Master Sword to Hyrule. In a further proof, the Four Sword and Master Sword are eminently different relics, with different powers.

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
Just because it's different from the main arc doesn't mean it's not part of the timeline. Ganondorf also appeared in one of the Four Sword games.

The fact of the matter is, Miyamoto outright states that the Minish Cap is the oldest story in the series. It explains why Link even wears his green cap, and it's been mentioned by theorists everywhere that the Picori Sword is possibly the White Sword used by Link in his NES reincarnations, given that both weapons are called "The White Sword," and the fact that the Master Sword supposedly never gets drawn anymore after ALttP.

Commenting on your theory, AoL is probably the most important LoZ story of all, given that Ganondorf is outright dead and isn't resurrected by the end of it. Also, the Triforce of Courage is mentioned in this game - in fact, Link is suppose to find it by breaking the seal placed on it.

ALttP and LA are also prequels to LoZ and AoL, so you need to put to make sure to fix that. Most theorists place LoZ and AoL at the end of the timeline.

The only confusing placements would be the Oracle games. There are many who believe that it comes between ALttP and LA, while others believe it to be after AoL.

linkw00t

Smash Journeyman
Well, I was only stating what I know about, I prefer LTTP to all those other 2d ones.

Also Zink, the link from LTTP was stand alone. He wasn't the same link from LoZ and AoL.

But I would still put LTTP at the very end. You're right about Ganondorf being dead, that is probably why he would take up the human disguise as The Wizard (Or priest in Japan) and then turn into the beast. Also, still LTTP has Link fighting Ganon at full power with the triforce, after he's created an alternate world. So essentially he has it all in this one, no Triforce of Courage to help him this time.

Yeah now that I thought about it, the events of OoT must have happened, as they are legend in 2 different games, and if it never happened, then no one would have remembered it? But Link DID travel back in time...IDK. So you're saying that the banishment of Ganondorf in TP was supposed to be on the same timeline as OoT?

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
ALttP can't be at the very end since, as I mentioned, it is suppose to be the story of the ancestors of those from the NES games.

But I would still put LTTP at the very end. You're right about Ganondorf being dead, that is probably why he would take up the human disguise as The Wizard (Or priest in Japan) and then turn into the beast.
That doesn't even make any sense. If Ganondorf is dead, how does he come back? According to AoL, he can only come back by spreading Link's blood over Ganondorf's ashes. Since that never happens unless Link dies, it's assumed that Ganondorf will not return, and it is why AoL is considered to be the end of the timeline itself.

Zink

Smash Champion
But it's entirely possible that he found a way to partially return through his puppet, Aghanim (sp lol). Also, where did Miyamoto say Minish Cap was the oldest one? I distinctly remember OoT being hyped as the prequel to all the others.
woot, I don't have the Loz/AoL Link and LttP/LA as the same.
As for the Picori sword being the White Sword, then what about in the interim? If the P Sword arrives in Minish Cap, there's still all the 3D Zeldas in between, which all use the Master Sword, which fights evil as opposed to granting splitting power. So they must be separate waepons, which leaves us without an explanation for where the M Sword came from.
So I maintain that LttP, or possibly LA comes last. I do grant that the Four Swords series might have come before LoZ.
I found a possible way to join the Oracle games in. It's somewhat radical- my theory is that the Oracle Link, who may or may not have been a previous Link, departed the Oracle lands after those games and then the events of LA occured on his way back.

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
But it's entirely possible that he found a way to partially return through his puppet, Aghanim (sp lol).
Except that doesn't work because ALttP already comes with a backstory - the Imprisoning War, which is supposed to be OoT's story. Here, Ganondorf finds a way to get into the Golden Land, or what we know now as the Sacred Realm. According to the Imprisoning/Seal War, Ganondorf was defeated and sealed into the Sacred Realm. It was here that Ganondorf found a way to manipulate, or perhaps even manifest, a wizard/priest that would earn the trust of the King of Hyrule while scheming to find and deal with the descendents of the 7 Wise Men, or what we know now as the Sages. Anyway, according to the text on the back of the game's packaging, A Link to the Past precedes the adventures of the Link and Princess Zelda from the NES games The Legend of Zelda and Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. It's about the third time I said it, so please don't make me mention that again.

My memory was somewhat incorrect, but it was Aonuma who stated that the Four Swords is the oldest story. Read about that interview here:

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200405/N04.0517.1915.59084.htm

Now keep in mind that this article was made when FSA, the sequel to FS, was the latest in the series, so TMC hadn't been created yet. And any information regarding TP, or TWW 2, as it's called in this article, can be ignored. The important part is question number 6 and Eiji Aonuma's answer. He says FS is first followed by FSA, but most people who have played TMC should be able to figure out that it comes before FS as TMC explains the history and origin of Vaati, FS's main villain.

OoT was first in the series prior to that article, so we'll put it at third in the series, mainly because FSA's placement is still sketchy due to Ganondorf's appearance, and it couldn't have been before OoT because OoT is his first introduction to the overall timeline. The biggest debate about OoT is whether or not it's the "Imprisoning War" described in ALttP.

Sensai

Smash Master
Also, in LoZ II, nothing huge happened. Link wen through palaces to get crystals that allowed him to enter the Great Palace and get to Gannon. No triforce.
Have you even played that game?! Gannon's not in it at all. That alone, IMO, is significant, seeing as how most other games have Gannon in them at some point or another.

AoL is also where the actual 'Legend of Zelda' comes from. You know, Zelda falls asleep and from then on all princesses born to the royal family are named Zelda.

Warrior of Zarona said:
It explains why Link even wears his green cap, and it's been mentioned by theorists everywhere that the Picori Sword is possibly the White Sword used by Link in his NES reincarnations, given that both weapons are called "The White Sword," and the fact that the Master Sword supposedly never gets drawn anymore after ALttP.
Not to mentioned it explains why items are found underneath everything.

I've never played any of the FS games, as I just assumed that they were not part of the primary story-line.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
OoT was first in the series prior to that article, so we'll put it at third in the series, mainly because FSA's placement is still sketchy due to Ganondorf's appearance, and it couldn't have been before OoT because OoT is his first introduction to the overall timeline.
I've only just started FSA so I don't know what role he plays, but the opening of FSA talks about what happened in FS and acts like it was only a few months/a year after FS.

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
It's complicated, really. The games that have a tough placement right now are FSA and the Oracles. TP also puts a dent on things - I personally believe it follows the child timeline after MM.

Anyway, a lot of theorists like to say that FSA came out sometime before ALttP., because of certain events involving Ganondorf in FSA that seems to result into Ganon in ALttP, and beyond.

Zink

Smash Champion
Um, in that interview Anouma says Four Swords is the oldest Zelda, then FSA. But I don't think you can just put TMC in there before it. The whole problem is that there are things like the layout of Hyrule and why the Picori are not even a legend anymore that just don't add up.
What about the swords?
And what do you mean by the MM child storyline? Anouma said TP took place almost 100 years after OoT, putting it shortly before WW. Wouldn't the OoT/MM Link be dead by then?

Top Bottom