• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Social Thread

D

Deleted member

Alright so apparently there is a limit to the amount of people you can have in a conversation that is either 10 or 11. I am considering getting a Premium membership to get around this problem as I'd much rather have us all together than spread across multiple conversations. For those who haven't been invited yet hang in there just a bit longer and thank you for your patience!
I'd like you to add me as well then.

@ umbreonmow

otek

Smash Rookie
same here, " otekken1 " is my skype ID

please don't forget to look at my other post on the last page guys :)

WhiteLightnin

Smash Journeyman
Got two videos that I'd like to get critique on, any help is appreciated :D They are from a tournament last weekend where I managed to get 5th out of 72 entrants, beating players like Ice (you guys should know him) and Sixx (best Melee-Link in Europe).

The first set is against Yomi (Charizard) in the WSF who is considered the best P:M player in Germany. I lost the first to matches with Luigi and then wanted to give my Zelda a chance.
http://www.twitch.tv/saltyplayground/b/500065857?t=1h15m02s

The second set is against Purple~H (ZSS) in the LQF where I lost the first match with Luigi and then switched to Zelda.
http://www.twitch.tv/saltyplayground/b/500065857?t=2h4m50s

Thanks in advance! :D
Nice matches! I've got you added both on skype and the conversation. I'll be happy to give you my thoughts on the vids a little later. Right now I'm trying to get a lot of stuff set up for this Zelda Social lol.

PhantasyStar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dyebre
3DS FC
1521-4107-6959
I've been playing Zelda as my main since 2.1 and barely am active in this section. I'm sorry family.

With Zelda being everyone's topic of discussion I think I should in on these conversations. Not only that Blue Zelda is so nice to look at.

flying_tortoise

Smash Journeyman
hmmm... I don't think we've discussed it. First time ive seen discussion on costumes.
I haven't learned how to get costumes for my characters, but that picture looks pretty interesting.

WhiteLightnin

Smash Journeyman
Alright so all of the Zeldas I know of have been added to the Zelda Social Group. If anyone knows of any Zelda mains we haven't added, or you yourself personally are a Zelda main and would like to join in on the fun please let me know so I can add you!

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
I just got back from a pretty huge PM tournament here in North carolina at Geeksboro Cafe. 51 entrants and i got 7th place with Zelda :).

The reason i lost my match though was anti climactic and would piss off the average person. I use the wireless wii mote and nun chuck and my controller kept desyncing from the wii we literally had to stop the match 2 times so it could be reconnected. :( Luckily Sneak, the guy i was plying against, was nice enough to not just take the automatic win and continue the match. Considering this is my second P:M tournament and in my first tournament i was in last place i'm still happy i got 7th :)

On another note I finaly played a fox that is a high level fox. it was Sneak. He didn't miss a single tech skill and i could barley get any dins out lol so fast and crossed up my sheild like every time. I couldn't even grab him and he kept nairing through my nayru. Even if my controller wasn't having issues i think i would have lost to that fox. But man was it fun. :)

Pika_thunder

Smash Apprentice
I just got back from a pretty huge PM tournament here in North carolina at Geeksboro Cafe. 51 entrants and i got 7th place with Zelda :).

The reason i lost my match though was anti climactic and would piss off the average person. I use the wireless wii mote and nun chuck and my controller kept desyncing from the wii we literally had to stop the match 2 times so it could be reconnected. :( Luckily Sneak, the guy i was plying against, was nice enough to not just take the automatic win and continue the match. Considering this is my second P:M tournament and in my first tournament i was in last place i'm still happy i got 7th :)

On another note I finaly played a fox that is a high level fox. it was Sneak. He didn't miss a single tech skill and i could barley get any dins out lol so fast and crossed up my sheild like every time. I couldn't even grab him and he kept nairing through my nayru. Even if my controller wasn't having issues i think i would have lost to that fox. But man was it fun. :)
Do your self a favor, and I mean this in the nicest way, get a real controller! Wireless controllers lag like crazy. Also wii motes in any form = crap. If your getting 7th out of 51 with wiimote, you are pretty good you will probably get around 3rd with a decent GameCube controller.

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
you use a game cube controller i assume. Go try and use a wii mote and nun chuck. That's what it would feel like for me to use a Game cube controller. I Understand what you're saying though but Its just not as comfortable for me to play with. I 'll give 5 dollars to anyone who builds me a wired wii mote and nun chuck :p

Last edited:

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
you use a game cube controller i assume. Go try and use a wii mote and nun chuck. That's what it would feel like for me to use a Game cube controller. I Understand what you're saying though but Its just not as comfortable for me to play with. I 'll give 5 dollars to anyone who builds me a wired wii mote and nun chuck :p
Wait, did you use only a Wiimote+Nunchuck back when you made TMZ, Mokoto, and Athena? Because they used some pretty tough input mixtures for a Wiimote+Nunchuck.
/NewRespectLevel

Also, congrats! It's cool that you could get to another tourney, and even show some people some Zelda power. :p

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
yup all my characters were made and played using the wii mote and chuck. i've been on wii mote and nun chuck since the beginning of brawl. Out of the 3 smash games i got to play melee the least so the controller still feels weird to me playing smash. The shoulder buttons are the main things i don't like.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
So i am sure others have noticed this, but zelda's upsmash is super broken in turbo mode. I kept a friend in it till around 500% while he tried sdi'ing it the whole time and couldn't get out

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
@ BJN39 BJN39 i think i might have to make Zelda share the spot with Ivy for my main despite what i said in the brawl Zelda thread. played P:M today and i don't think i can keep her out with how i play her. i can play against a few people (map Mark, and some other people i know of who have gone to Xanadu..)

Calzum!

LC | Team Heir
Hey bros, one of the few Zelda mains from the UK here, I've finally got a set uploaded to youtube, its from this past weekend at the Edentines Day Saltyshack, ive only been maining zelda for a month but i'd like some feedback, there isn't a critique my zelda page or whatever so ill post it here

R23 (Ganon) vs LC|Calzum (Zelda) £10 ($16) Money Match
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLulUPMUsGI

ps. side note professor pro put £5 side bet on me to win, best snake in the world believes ;)

WhiteLightnin

Smash Journeyman
Hey bros, one of the few Zelda mains from the UK here, I've finally got a set uploaded to youtube, its from this past weekend at the Edentines Day Saltyshack, ive only been maining zelda for a month but i'd like some feedback, there isn't a critique my zelda page or whatever so ill post it here

R23 (Ganon) vs LC|Calzum (Zelda) £10 ($16) Money Match
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLulUPMUsGI

ps. side note professor pro put £5 side bet on me to win, best snake in the world believes ;)
Hey there Callum. Nice to have you join us here. First off you had some good spacing going in those matches. If you're able to continuously predict your opponent like that there are some Zelda specific techniques that I think will really help you make the most of those situations. I'm guessing you aren't aware of them yet if you've only been playing her for a month.

Aerial Land Canceled Nayru's Love-If you land anytime after the attack frames finish you can act out of it with any input of your choice (including movement) without being stuck in the cool down of the move. For optimum effect you would want to land immediately after the attack frames finish. At lower percents you can follow it up with Upsmash, jab, f-tilt, dash attack, grab, or even a grounded nayru's (which can't be canceled) depending on where they end up. You can also choose not to land cancel it by continuing to hold B to retain the reflective property longer.

I noticed that you seemed to have trouble evading your opponent after he would respawn while he still had his invincibility. There are several things you can do with your movement but a technique that will really help is teledashing. Farore's Wind can be canceled into a wavedash as long as Zelda is touching the ground before she disappears for the actual teleport. This means you can either input the move while on the ground or shortly before you hit the ground. You can cancel it with an air dodge at anytime after Zelda disappears and before she reappears. If you choose to do it though you won't have the reentry attack. You can use this technique to play keep away from your opponent while waiting for the invincibility to wear off. It also is very useful to play mind games with your opponent and if you master it's spacing in relation to your opponent it becomes an extremely powerful tool. Finally you can also use Farore's Wind to auto snap to the ledge when you are above the ledge to help with edge guarding your opponent. Simply jump and aim Farore's Wind at the ledge. Make sure you let the control stick go back to neutral though before she gets to the ledge because if you are holding down you will bypass the ledge and SD.

I noticed there was a time when you were holding the ledge during ganondorf's recovery and he made it back onto the stage. Instead of rolling back up (which let's him back safely), you could let go of the edge by pressing back or away from the stage with the control stick or c-stick and then immediately jump and lightning kick. You could also use nair or a b-reversed nayru's among other things.

As I'm sure you are aware from that warlock punch, make sure you use FW from a safe recovery spot. Ganondorf isn't the greatest at this but many other characters can come out and punish you if you use it at the wrong time. You can use Din's to aid in your recovery both with blocking the opponent from you, protecting your point of reentry, and also it will help with your horizontal momentum for recovery if you use it while she is already drifting towards the stage. Also if the opponent does come out after you don't be afraid to stick them with a lightning kick. Zelda's got awesome recovery distance so you don't have to be a sitting duck if they come out after you.

There's plenty of other techniques but I don't want to overload you so I hope you find this helpful for now. Once again welcome to the group!

Calzum!

LC | Team Heir
Hey there Callum. Nice to have you join us here. First off you had some good spacing going in those matches. If you're able to continuously predict your opponent like that there are some Zelda specific techniques that I think will really help you make the most of those situations. I'm guessing you aren't aware of them yet if you've only been playing her for a month.

Aerial Land Canceled Nayru's Love-If you land anytime after the attack frames finish you can act out of it with any input of your choice (including movement) without being stuck in the cool down of the move. For optimum effect you would want to land immediately after the attack frames finish. At lower percents you can follow it up with Upsmash, jab, f-tilt, dash attack, grab, or even a grounded nayru's (which can't be canceled) depending on where they end up. You can also choose not to land cancel it by continuing to hold B to retain the reflective property longer.

I noticed that you seemed to have trouble evading your opponent after he would respawn while he still had his invincibility. There are several things you can do with your movement but a technique that will really help is teledashing. Farore's Wind can be canceled into a wavedash as long as Zelda is touching the ground before she disappears for the actual teleport. This means you can either input the move while on the ground or shortly before you hit the ground. You can cancel it with an air dodge at anytime after Zelda disappears and before she reappears. If you choose to do it though you won't have the reentry attack. You can use this technique to play keep away from your opponent while waiting for the invincibility to wear off. It also is very useful to play mind games with your opponent and if you master it's spacing in relation to your opponent it becomes an extremely powerful tool. Finally you can also use Farore's Wind to auto snap to the ledge when you are above the ledge to help with edge guarding your opponent. Simply jump and aim Farore's Wind at the ledge. Make sure you let the control stick go back to neutral though before she gets to the ledge because if you are holding down you will bypass the ledge and SD.

I noticed there was a time when you were holding the ledge during ganondorf's recovery and he made it back onto the stage. Instead of rolling back up (which let's him back safely), you could let go of the edge by pressing back or away from the stage with the control stick or c-stick and then immediately jump and lightning kick. You could also use nair or a b-reversed nayru's among other things.

As I'm sure you are aware from that warlock punch, make sure you use FW from a safe recovery spot. Ganondorf isn't the greatest at this but many other characters can come out and punish you if you use it at the wrong time. You can use Din's to aid in your recovery both with blocking the opponent from you, protecting your point of reentry, and also it will help with your horizontal momentum for recovery if you use it while she is already drifting towards the stage. Also if the opponent does come out after you don't be afraid to stick them with a lightning kick. Zelda's got awesome recovery distance so you don't have to be a sitting duck if they come out after you.

There's plenty of other techniques but I don't want to overload you so I hope you find this helpful for now. Once again welcome to the group!

thank you for this, will deffo help me in the future

as being mainly a Melee player i play that the most, im just trying to learn this game (Especially zelda and the tricks she has! )

WhiteLightnin

Smash Journeyman
thank you for this, will deffo help me in the future

as being mainly a Melee player i play that the most, im just trying to learn this game (Especially zelda and the tricks she has! )
Hey no problem, glad I could help. If you'd like I can add you on skype to make it more easy to readily communicate with other Zeldas. Just post it in the conversation if you are interested.

That invitation is open for you too ZeldaMaster_1. lol

Last edited:

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
is anyone here in the MD/VA area? also i didn't get a notification for the tag. i don't have Skype and i can't connect to the internet on my Wii. i know (and fought) people that have gone to Xanadu including a certain flashy Sanic main

flying_tortoise

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60_X...;cycles=-1;autoreplay=false;showoptions=false

Decided I'd help ya'll out and post this as soon as I saw it. KDJ confirmed for making any character look aggressive.
hmmm interesting. I counted only 7 or 8 nayrus for that entire set. Crazy seeing KDJ play zelda. Although I feel like people would complain about all those lightning kicks that itd get nerfed, and ness' recovery is kinda easy to punish. Obviously it was finals and therefore KDJ got there for a reason so it would have been interesting to see him play that style against a good spacie.

Thanks for the share, very interesting indeed

WhiteLightnin

Smash Journeyman

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60_X...;cycles=-1;autoreplay=false;showoptions=false

Decided I'd help ya'll out and post this as soon as I saw it. KDJ confirmed for making any character look aggressive.
Oh my gosh, such BnB that goes to show Zelda can benefit from going in. At least, a little.

Many people just don't seem to understand Zelda CAN do her old Melee FAir/BAirs in P:M and get mileage off of it. But now, she can do even more, which more than helps balance the slightly toned down Kicks.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Guys guys! Look! Zelda emoji is back!

:zelda:

:zelda::zelda::zelda::zelda:

Also, those new character board images, so fancy. :o

Last edited:

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Haha. Nice Irish I see you've made the upgrade to premium.:cool: I'm asking about the background character images right now. For some reason I can't see them on the lap top I normally use so I am trying to figure out why.
Maybe, just maybe it has to do with a laptop registering Smashboards on a laptop as a mobile version of SB. (AKA, SB will look different when using a mobile device VS a CPU. At least, some mobile devices.)

and on the mobile version, the fancy shadow chars in posts don't appear.

IDK why a laptop would not have the CPU version of smashboards visual setup though...

Top Bottom