• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Social Thread

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
Speaking more with other Zeldas makes me not want her to get any extensive changes.
I want to try to wifi some of you guys to get some more experience.
feel free to add you. also do you have facebook? PM me on here if you do

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Dracula's Castle
Left Edge: Slightly off center to the left, before but not on the darker brown patch of wood on the left.
Right edge: Same, but before (but not on) the dark brown patch to the right.

Patches seen in the foreground.

Rumble Falls
Left Edge: Start teleport on the sixth plank of the wooden bridge, starting from the left.
Right Edge: Start teleport on sixth plank of the bridge on the right side.

Distant Planet
Left edge, in the foregound, there is a piece of the main platform that is chipped, forming a small curved chip. At the top of this chip (apex of the curve) is where you want to start the teleport.
Right edge: A little to the left of the shadow the non-leaf platform.

I don't mean to just dump this here, but I don't want it to get lost. I'll eventtually pile it together into something meaningful. Does anyone know if a picture decoder for Brawl still exists?

flying_tortoise

Smash Journeyman
When did you hear about these changes? Where?
A few days ago on dabessdi, where there are actually some PMBR.

I really wish that if the rumors are true that they would PLEASE, PLEASE consult some zeldas (if not just 1 or 2 that really understand the specifics of the character) on here T_T I would feel much better if that had happened.

I'll also post my MU thread like Whitelightnin did with his (her?) thread.

http://smashboards.com/threads/triforce-of-communication-zelda-matchup-number-thread.346426/

I still need WAY more numbers for Bowser,I've actually right now, gotten more numbers from the bowsers. Come on Zeldas! We're an active char board, we can do this!
I don't feel I have enough experience to talk about the mu. I've only seen videos on the mu. but....alright i'll see if I can say anything useful.

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
A few days ago on dabessdi, where there are actually some PMBR.

I really wish that if the rumors are true that they would PLEASE, PLEASE consult some zeldas (if not just 1 or 2 that really understand the specifics of the character) on here T_T I would feel much better if that had happened.

I don't feel I have enough experience to talk about the mu. I've only seen videos on the mu. but....alright i'll see if I can say anything useful.
They should consult Zhime.

jtm94

Smash Lord
I think the community who plays the character should be consulted so not just a single person's playstyle is taken into account, which I think has happened with a few characters in PM.

I'm not saying what I say necessarily means THAT much, or is 100% accurate, but all of our opinions matter.

jtm94

Smash Lord
What you did with Dins and the down throw was awesome.

You're pretty good at landing the kick and capitalizing on missed techs.

Your teleport game isn't bad, you did get hit a few times for trying to teleport away while close.

I don't think you overused dins by any means, but you did get hit a few times for placing them at a bad time or while the opponent was too close.

Did he scoop? It's hard to tell much else from such a short match, all Roy did was some Side B pressure, you were either more skilled or he didn't know Zelda at all.

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
i know Zhime is a big go to guy for the PMBR(considering he is in it. thats where i heard the rumor)
he isnt happy with the idea of changing her but as i told my group here in OK i guess ill just hold my breath and hope for the best. i got a tourney tomorrow in Tulsa called BattleLan. hoping to place in top 5 at worst. gonna do some teams with probably the best Ness i have ever seen as well

#teamtwinkletoesftw

WhiteLightnin

Smash Journeyman
Well I guess we gotta wait and see. but it rly seems whitelightnin understands the character, so tbh I would like both. Zhime is a given. again, we'll see
I am honored that you would make such a suggestion flying_tortoise, but this is really a community effort. We want a Zelda that we can all enjoy, and I think it's important everyone's input is heard. That being said, I think we have made steps to do just that. The thread I recently made seems to be attracting a lot of attention based on the number of views it has already received so I think that would be a good place to make your voice heard if you are happy with the current Zelda or have some other thoughts about her.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
They should consult Zhime.
i know Zhime is a big go to guy for the PMBR(considering he is in it. thats where i heard the rumor)
he isnt happy with the idea of changing her but as i told my group here in OK i guess ill just hold my breath and hope for the best. i got a tourney tomorrow in Tulsa called BattleLan. hoping to place in top 5 at worst. gonna do some teams with probably the best Ness i have ever seen as well

#teamtwinkletoesftw
Actually....umm....

I heard a rumor that Zhime resigned from the PMBR. > , >

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
well then in regards to this..... well i guess it doesnt really have any response lol other than damn now no zeldas to prevent her from being nerfed

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
Actually....umm....

It's not a rumor, I talked with Zhime, he did.
But that doesn't mean that he won't or hasn't already given them his.

jtm94

Smash Lord
Isn't Ryoko still involved in her design?
Zhime probably got tired of all the flak and just wants to play the character. Whatever the case opinion can still be voiced even if not in the PMBR.

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
Isn't Ryoko still involved in her design?
Zhime probably got tired of all the flak and just wants to play the character. Whatever the case opinion can still be voiced even if not in the PMBR.
Or he didn't like the changes that they were doing to her.

jtm94

Smash Lord
If that is the case it's poor design on their part.
I just don't want a split in our community of old Zeldas vs new Zeldas.

Kind of like how they changed Lucas' dair and a lot of people liked the old one, but some people like the new one. I just don't want to see that, but with her entire character.

What WOULD be really cool would be if they could come up with a new design and let people test her .PAC file to see how well the community(us basically, and whoever we play against) accepts it before it gets forced onto us.

I don't like the idea of the community influencing how other people's characters are designed, or a single person to entirely build a character to their preference as I believe has happened in small instances.

Zhime got a lot of hate and was pretty much the person to complain about when the discussion of Zelda came up, but he did really good pioneering her and I'm thankful for that. I just hope that he just didn't feel like being a part of the PMBR anymore, and not that he left because they janked Zelda.

I agree with the PMBR changing characters on the fly, but major changes should be announced beforehand and not dropped on everyone. If something in the game becomes unsightfully busted or broken it should be taken care of readily, and not fixed in a new version several months down the road. Ivysaur was far too good in 2.6 and there were few people to contest it, but we still had to play against 2.6 Ivy for a significant amount of time before she was dealt with. Now I know a lot of time goes into it, and that we don't "pay" for anything, but it's just something I wanted to address.

Rizner

Smash Ace
Here's a mm I have from Apex -- I know there are things I need to work on and/or things I missed during the match, but want to hear what you guys see first. Anyone mind giving critique?

jtm94

Smash Lord
I don't really know what to say... I didn't see anything alarming. It's hard to judge against that opponent. He wasn't bad, but you would do well and he would lose motivation for periods of time.

What you did at like 6:28 with the reverse Nayru's love land-cancelled into up tilt was SOO GOODD LOOKING!!! And the kick at the end was clutch.

I think you could have used utilt a "bit" more. It looked like MK's dair hit through Usmash, and during Utilt her arms are intangible making it an amazing anti-air.

Dins placement wasn't bad, it's hard against MK because he's so fast. We all need to work on switching up our "to the ground" approach, or at least be prepared for it.

Rizner

Smash Ace
I don't really know what to say... I didn't see anything alarming. It's hard to judge against that opponent. He wasn't bad, but you would do well and he would lose motivation for periods of time.

What you did at like 6:28 with the reverse Nayru's love land-cancelled into up tilt was SOO GOODD LOOKING!!! And the kick at the end was clutch.

I think you could have used utilt a "bit" more. It looked like MK's dair hit through Usmash, and during Utilt her arms are intangible making it an amazing anti-air.

Dins placement wasn't bad, it's hard against MK because he's so fast. We all need to work on switching up our "to the ground" approach, or at least be prepared for it.
mmk, thanks. I'll keep that utilt in mind. The kick at the end seemed clutch, but it's the same thing he did game 1 -- I don't think he knew that it wasn't safe to combo me sideways so once he started I assumed the same thing'd happen.

I appreciate the feedback.

flying_tortoise

Smash Journeyman
Zelda's my secondary, here's a video of me playing Zelda(2nd match), any advice anyone?

Looked pretty solid. When you were on the ledge up+Bing you should jump away from the ledge and teleport on the stage instead of allowing the opponent to get in position to punish. Idk if it's just me but you can be punished while doing the multiple up B's.
Actually....umm....

Lmao 3 spoilers for that
Although thats true, doesn't mean they cant ask for advice though

Rizner

Smash Ace
Looked pretty solid. When you were on the ledge up+Bing you should jump away from the ledge and teleport on the stage instead of allowing the opponent to get in position to punish. Idk if it's just me but you can be punished while doing the multiple up B's.

Lmao 3 spoilers for that
Although thats true, doesn't mean they cant ask for advice though
I think mk is fast enough to punish the landing, but I definitely need to work on my ledge game. Zhime did a few things at apex from the ledge that I plan on working into my game.
Thanks

WhiteLightnin

Smash Journeyman
Good job Whitelightnin, and lol to that ban. I always thought you'd be a good Zelda, keep it up. ^ ^
Thanks! Yeah it's something we recently started doing around here. This was the first amateurs' tourney, and it was created so more new and less developed players could all have a shot at winning something as opposed to just being almost immediately eliminated by the top players around here. They were discussing about not having me able to participate based on friendlies I have had with them at some of our Smash fests but ultimately decided to let me participate since I am still so new to the scene here. Lucky me! lol

Run DMX

Smash Cadet
So, it has come to my attention that PM Zelda will be getting nerfed. Bad. Like, Melee Zelda bad.

I totally support the Zelda we have now, I think she's the perfect balance between strengths and weaknesses, and she has a very unique fight style that I've learned to enjoy. Who all here would be against her getting nerfed? And if that's the case, fight the power, people. Keep the Zelda alive.

Arcalyth

GLS | root
I think she's fine as she is now though I do wish they would restore Nayru cancel to it's 2.6b iteration (they can keep the SDI multiplier on the last hit though that's completely reasonable)

I'm not in the PMBR but most of what I've seen involve arguments against her multi-link moves (for some reason people think they shouldn't be able to link together???) and Din's Fire.
The notion that she's "not smash-like" because she's passive-aggressive is kind of asinine in my opinion, simply because she plays an inversion of the style of many characters...
I mean, I guess they could make her play like Ike or something? But we already have Ike...
The solution is to play more patiently... zelda is not OP by any means, and once you get in on her it's exceedingly difficult for her to escape. Neutral is Zelda's biggest weakness.

If you're getting pwned by "camping" then you're bad, point blank. Zelda has very few means to escape from a positional disadvantage. Using Din's Fire in neutral instantly puts her at a disadvantage. FW has ridiculous punishable startup, even with the hitbox (that comes out on frame 7 and doesn't have any kind of invincibility) covering her. That eliminates her two "camping" options. I think people confuse "camping" with Zelda's Wait which is actually a good option especially with fireballs on the field. (It's really funny when I just stand there and people are afraid to approach me)

When I read the General Discussion forum looking for comments about Zelda, most of them are along the lines of "Zelda is the most poorly designed character. I can't even elaborate on how stupid she is, so I'm just gonna leave it at that."
I hope everyone can see what's wrong with that thinking.

Oh, I guess I've also seen complaints like "lightning kick is too good"
But the problem is people walk straight into it, or they got hit by a setup into kick such as ftilt. Don't get hit by ftilt. Learn to space :)
Properly comboing into the critical sweetspot is hard. Landing it on an opponent who DIs in or runs into it is really easy.

"Nayru's Love is too good"
Simply space the distance of nayru, or attack from above or below where she doesn't have hitboxes... stop trying to trade it like a moron
before anyone tries to argue that it has invincibility, the invincibility ends before the attack frames come out.

"Usmash being able to combo into itself is silly"
But it's not silly for characters to be able to combo uair, or ftilt, or <insert whatever other move here?>
What, are we going to say tech chasing is silly next?
As far as the mutli-hits, it makes sense for ANY multi hit move to link the inner hits together. Changes were made to multi-hit moves ACROSS THE CAST for the same reason. No reason to single out Zelda. You can SDI the first and last hits of usmash to escape. You can SDI the last hit of nair to not get a followup.

The fact that she can pressure shields with jab and fsmash is no different than Fox's stupid-easy dairshine pressure. I'd say they're on par because you still need to somehow force an opponent into their shield which is difficult since Zelda's movement isn't very threatening.

"Din's Fire is too good"
Except for its startup, lack of protection and mobility while channeling, the fact you still have to place it precisely (and time it precisely)... and the fact that it does 2% damage and so nearly every attack in the game can clank them out?

Last edited:

Neptune Shiranui

Shadow Streak~
NNID
Darky_Shiranui
I also believe Zelda is currently fine the way she is. Sure if you find her camping annoying, but here's the thing...you aren't supposed to let her do that! This is where she's at her best and thus why people complain due to the fact that they struggle approaching her. As for her Nayru, sure its a really good GTFO move BUT, here's the problem. Zelda isn't the type of character you just rush blindly into you gotta use your approaches efficiently using Dash-Dancing, Wavelands, etc etc, not doing-so will result a severe punish i.e fair'ed or Nayru'd. Nayru also isn't as tough to deal with as people think, you can bait it and she's open for a free hit. Nayru on sheild is also safe if you can react to it. Overall, Zelda is fine the way she is and I have no problem with her current-self atm.

WhiteLightnin

Smash Journeyman
I think just about all of the Zelda's are opposed to her getting nerfed.
So, it has come to my attention that PM Zelda will be getting nerfed. Bad. Like, Melee Zelda bad.

I totally support the Zelda we have now, I think she's the perfect balance between strengths and weaknesses, and she has a very unique fight style that I've learned to enjoy. Who all here would be against her getting nerfed? And if that's the case, fight the power, people. Keep the Zelda alive.
I think she's fine as she is now though I do wish they would restore Nayru cancel to it's 2.6b iteration (they can keep the SDI multiplier on the last hit though that's completely reasonable)

I'm not in the PMBR but most of what I've seen involve arguments against her multi-link moves (for some reason people think they shouldn't be able to link together???) and Din's Fire.
The notion that she's "not smash-like" because she's passive-aggressive is kind of asinine in my opinion, simply because she plays an inversion of the style of many characters...
I mean, I guess they could make her play like Ike or something? But we already have Ike...
The solution is to play more patiently... zelda is not OP by any means, and once you get in on her it's exceedingly difficult for her to escape. Neutral is Zelda's biggest weakness.

If you're getting pwned by "camping" then you're bad, point blank. Zelda has very few means to escape from a positional disadvantage. Using Din's Fire in neutral instantly puts her at a disadvantage. FW has ridiculous punishable startup, even with the hitbox (that comes out on frame 7 and doesn't have any kind of invincibility) covering her. That eliminates her two "camping" options. I think people confuse "camping" with Zelda's Wait which is actually a good option especially with fireballs on the field. (It's really funny when I just stand there and people are afraid to approach me)

When I read the General Discussion forum looking for comments about Zelda, most of them are along the lines of "Zelda is the most poorly designed character. I can't even elaborate on how stupid she is, so I'm just gonna leave it at that."
I hope everyone can see what's wrong with that thinking.

Oh, I guess I've also seen complaints like "lightning kick is too good"
But the problem is people walk straight into it, or they got hit by a setup into kick such as ftilt. Don't get hit by ftilt. Learn to space :)
Properly comboing into the critical sweetspot is hard. Landing it on an opponent who DIs in or runs into it is really easy.

"Nayru's Love is too good"
Simply space the distance of nayru, or attack from above or below where she doesn't have hitboxes... stop trying to trade it like a moron
before anyone tries to argue that it has invincibility, the invincibility ends before the attack frames come out.

"Usmash being able to combo into itself is silly"
But it's not silly for characters to be able to combo uair, or ftilt, or <insert whatever other move here?>
What, are we going to say tech chasing is silly next?
As far as the mutli-hits, it makes sense for ANY multi hit move to link the inner hits together. Changes were made to multi-hit moves ACROSS THE CAST for the same reason. No reason to single out Zelda. You can SDI the first and last hits of usmash to escape. You can SDI the last hit of nair to not get a followup.

The fact that she can pressure shields with jab and fsmash is no different than Fox's stupid-easy dairshine pressure. I'd say they're on par because you still need to somehow force an opponent into their shield which is difficult since Zelda's movement isn't very threatening.

"Din's Fire is too good"
Except for its startup, lack of protection and mobility while channeling, the fact you still have to place it precisely (and time it precisely)... and the fact that it does 2% damage and so nearly every attack in the game can clank them out?
I also believe Zelda is currently fine the way she is. Sure if you find her camping annoying, but here's the thing...you aren't supposed to let her do that! This is where she's at her best and thus why people complain due to the fact that they struggle approaching her. As for her Nayru, sure its a really good GTFO move BUT, here's the problem. Zelda isn't the type of character you just rush blindly into you gotta use your approaches efficiently using Dash-Dancing, Wavelands, etc etc, not doing-so will result a severe punish i.e fair'ed or Nayru'd. Nayru also isn't as tough to deal with as people think, you can bait it and she's open for a free hit. Nayru on sheild is also safe if you can react to it. Overall, Zelda is fine the way she is and I have no problem with her current-self atm.
Post those feelings in the Zelda balance thread! It's only been out since last Monday and it's getting ready to break 1,000 views so it will definitely be heard. http://smashboards.com/threads/zelda-balance-and-mu-learning.346283/

flying_tortoise

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys so I have just gotten decent with sheik, and want to know (from those of you who are trying to use Shielda) when do you find transforming the most useful, and how do you make your transformation safe.
I heard Ryoko is the best Shielda, but I'm busy until like friday and just wanted to post this really fast and get your guys' opinions.

My initial thoughts/ideas are,
-(sheik) knock off stage with sheik, run off stage transform and react with the appropiate move.
-(zelda) teleport into dins (big hitboxes) then transform
-(zelda) opponent off stage, make a giant din guarding the ledge while transforming to sheik to guard the stage.

I wish to harness the power of shielda! Thanks for responses

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
Hey guys so I have just gotten decent with sheik, and want to know (from those of you who are trying to use Shielda) when do you find transforming the most useful, and how do you make your transformation safe.
I heard Ryoko is the best Shielda, but I'm busy until like friday and just wanted to post this really fast and get your guys' opinions.

My initial thoughts/ideas are,
-(sheik) knock off stage with sheik, run off stage transform and react with the appropiate move.
-(zelda) teleport into dins (big hitboxes) then transform
-(zelda) opponent off stage, make a giant din guarding the ledge while transforming to sheik to guard the stage.

I wish to harness the power of shielda! Thanks for responses
Simplify my friend, just simplify, there's just to much going on here. You're evil, you're asthmatic, and why do you have a cape? Are you going to the opera? I don't think so, sorry.
(A pie for whoever gets this not obscure reference)
Seriously though, what I do is start the match with Sheik, have a strong start, then kill them and as them respawn, transform. It takes all the wind out of their sails. Just as they are contemplating your weaknesses, you change characters. Do it vice-versa, start as Zelda. On Zhime's channel, there is a video showing how to transform on the edge, watch it.

Last edited:

Alter Requiem

Red Panties Ambassador
NNID
AlterRequiem
New zelda makes my friend so mad. until they make PMBR makes ganondorf high tier, im thinking of maining her solo. (BTW it says a lot that i may drop ganon for her lol)

WhiteLightnin

Smash Journeyman
Hey Zeldas, I was thinking it might be nice for all of us to have a social gathering where we could all be on skype (or in a chat room for those who don't have and don't want to get skype) to practice and just to have fun getting to know each other better. I'm going to start a conversation group for the Zeldas I know of and have been active recently so we can discuss details and avoid filling up this thread with a bunch of meeting times where we end up playing tag with each other lol. This will also allow for us to keep skype profiles more private. I will start inviting people to the conversation, but I don't know if it has a limit and I'm sure I'll miss some people since I'm still pretty new so please let me know so I can include you in on the fun. The conversation will be titled "Zelda Social". See you soon!:)

So apparently it will only let me invite 5 people. I just picked 5 people that I don't already have direct contact with to help things spread faster. I'm hoping that those who are in the conversation can invite other Zeldas so we can expand it that way. If not I'll figure out another way to make this gathering happen.

Alright so it looks like people added to the group can invite others so I've asked people already in the group to try and invite as many of you as possible. Stand by for your invitation.:) If there is an overall limit I will just keep creating multiple conversations and max each of those out until we have everybody included. See you on the other side!

When you get invited please post your skype name if you have one so I can add you, and we can get this party started sooner.:cool:

Hang on Zeldas. It appears there might be a conversation limit without a premium member present. I'm looking into it right now.

Last edited:

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
Hey Zeldas, I was thinking it might be nice for all of us to have a social gathering where we could all be on skype (or in a chat room for those who don't have and don't want to get skype) to practice and just to have fun getting to know each other better. I'm going to start a conversation group for the Zeldas I know of and have been active recently so we can discuss details and avoid filling up this thread with a bunch of meeting times where we end up playing tag with each other lol. This will also allow for us to keep skype profiles more private. I will start inviting people to the conversation, but I don't know if it has a limit and I'm sure I'll miss some people since I'm still pretty new so please let me know so I can include you in on the fun. The conversation will be titled "Zelda Social". See you soon!:)

So apparently it will only let me invite 5 people. I just picked 5 people that I don't already have direct contact with to help things spread faster. I'm hoping that those who are in the conversation can invite other Zeldas so we can expand it that way. If not I'll figure out another way to make this gathering happen.
I believe that if you have one Premium Member you can have more. We should just set up a day in the week that we try to get on. Tuesday would be best for me.

WhiteLightnin

Smash Journeyman
Alright so apparently there is a limit to the amount of people you can have in a conversation that is either 10 or 11. I am considering getting a Premium membership to get around this problem as I'd much rather have us all together than spread across multiple conversations. For those who haven't been invited yet hang in there just a bit longer and thank you for your patience!

otek

Smash Rookie
Got two videos that I'd like to get critique on, any help is appreciated :D They are from a tournament last weekend where I managed to get 5th out of 72 entrants, beating players like Ice (you guys should know him) and Sixx (best Melee-Link in Europe).

The first set is against Yomi (Charizard) in the WSF who is considered the best P:M player in Germany. I lost the first to matches with Luigi and then wanted to give my Zelda a chance.
http://www.twitch.tv/saltyplayground/b/500065857?t=1h15m02s

The second set is against Purple~H (ZSS) in the LQF where I lost the first match with Luigi and then switched to Zelda.
http://www.twitch.tv/saltyplayground/b/500065857?t=2h4m50s

Thanks in advance! :D

Top Bottom