• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Zelda Social - Still the queen of Smash...and maybe queen of low tier for a decade, too. Shall we make it two?

Are you happy with the Link Between Worlds redesign?

• Yes, she's gorgeous and expressive.

Votes: 265 65.9%
  • No, Breath of the Wild had such potential.

Votes: 56 13.9%
  • No, Twilight Princess death stare Zelda was the best design.

Votes: 45 11.2%
  • I'm happy with any design, just as long as she's viable,

Votes: 36 9.0%

• Total voters

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
So TIL excluding temporary stat altering moves, (shulk smash monado) Zelda has the 6th strongest Bthrow in the game now. (I had a suspicion of such a thing already)

When it’s right, it’s right.

Last edited:

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
Oh, what I meant was it drops people out by itself waaay too often, just like it did in Melee. It's strange considering how consistent it was for both Brawl and Smash 4
Looking through my replays, I've noticed that characters with high aerial mobility can DI out of the finisher. Maybe that's the problem. Other than that, I don't seem to have much of a problem with Nair falling out, so I don't know.
I havent had that happen much but the consistency does feel closer to a better Melee nair than the brawl/smash4 one

But the knockback honestly gets me more. It's like you dont input a direction they dont fly far you inch even a bit and they fly really far away even at low percents, this is annoying on runaway and campers or just Olimar

If nair is still like it was in smash 4 in regards to its hitbox/trancendancy it's only a wall out one its active and as long as your opponent doesnt have more reach than you. Its frame6 which isn't that slow but when others have faster naira or aerials they lead with Zeldas Nair already has to be out there...but its trancendant so it doesnt protect her from trades for that 2% vs their 8%
I tend to start it up first then DI into my opponent. I find it works well as a preempt and can catch an opponent off guard. Zelda's improved aerial mobility works great for that and Nair's precise nature, can work in its favor in ducking under or shooting over disjoints. It's great I find, for preventing opponents from moving through the platforms, given that Nair hits low on the front hitbox and high on the back. You can catch opponents passing over you and trying to duck under.

Other than Chrom's forward air and Sheik's stuff, I haven't had much of a problem with its start-up, when used in the appropriate context. Something about active hitboxs, feels different in this game in terms of priority but I can't quite put my finger on it, to figure out whether it's placebo or not. Maybe it's just me.
So TIL excluding temporary stat altering moves, (shulk smash monado) Zelda has the 6th strongest Bthrow in the game now. (I had a suspicion of such a thing already)

It's just a shame it seems to send them in the corner or is easily DI'd there. Definitely what she needs, though.

Gay Ginger

Make Smash Bros. Gay Again
Switch FC
3923-4397-1697
I was hoping that the release of Smash Ultimate would revive the Zelda boards to its former glory circa 2015 :(

Where all my gorls at?

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Pichu's Ftilt is gross. Frame 5 startup, 8 active frames, 13 recovery frames mainly due to how long it's active, trips at low percents, and kills at high percents. Pichu hurts itself when using it and its range isn't amazing, but Pichu is fast and tiny.

Meanwhile, Zelda's Ftilt. Why is it frame 12 again? It has lower total frames in Ultimate compared to both launch and 1.1.5 Smash 4's Ftilt, but it's not like a frame 10 startup on this move would kill anyone. Or it having more than 1 active frame.

Gay Ginger

Switch FC
3923-4397-1697
Meanwhile, Zelda's Ftilt. Why is it frame 12 again? It has lower total frames in Ultimate compared to both launch and 1.1.5 Smash 4's Ftilt, but it's not like a frame 10 startup on this move would kill anyone. Or it having more than 1 active frame
And they increased F-tilt's endlag lmao.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
And they increased F-tilt's endlag lmao.
Between Smash 4 and Ultimate? Pre-1.1.5 Smash 4 Ftilt had 39 total frames while Ultimate Ftilt has 36 total frames. So, 3 less total frames and giving it a recovery of 25 frames instead of 28. 1.1.5 Smash 4 just sped up the animation, shaving off two frames essentially, so it still has the same recovery frames. Between Melee and Brawl or Brawl and Smash 4, I have no idea.

Still, Zelda's Ftilt could have been faster on startup, had lower recovery, or did more damage assuming its knockback isn't anything different.

Gay Ginger

Switch FC
3923-4397-1697
Between Smash 4 and Ultimate? Pre-1.1.5 Smash 4 Ftilt had 39 total frames while Ultimate Ftilt has 36 total frames. So, 3 less total frames and giving it a recovery of 25 frames instead of 28. 1.1.5 Smash 4 just sped up the animation, shaving off two frames essentially, so it still has the same recovery frames. Between Melee and Brawl or Brawl and Smash 4, I have no idea.

Still, Zelda's Ftilt could have been faster on startup, had lower recovery, or did more damage assuming its knockback isn't anything different.
BJN39 BJN39 's data says its FAF is 37F and its endlag is 23F. ssbwiki.com says that F-tilt's endlag has been increased under the list of changes from Smash 4 to Ultimate, but it doesn't say by how much. Maybe it's wrong?

BJN39, can you weigh in on the changes to Zelda's F-tilt?

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
I was hoping that the release of Smash Ultimate would revive the Zelda boards to its former glory circa 2015 :(

Where all my gorls at?
We need something to spark a discussion. How about bad coments I've gotten on my videos? That should fuel some sassT out of everyone here.

Eddie The Pacifist

Smash Lord
Smash Ultimate looks great so far (I know, I’m late to the party). I’m personally looking forward to Genesis 6,which seems to be the games’ first real time to shine.

Anyway, here’s my thoughts on Korra Book 3.
It’s a Mastapeece
Seriously though, I really loved this Book. It was so well paced, dramatic and creative. I genuinely cannot think of any serious flaws with it. I have three minor problems: I don’t like Toph being made into a bad parent. With Aang it made sense why he favored Tenzin, since he wanted to rebuild the Air Nation. I don’t understand why Toph was so poor at it. Similarly, I felt like theSuu and Lin drama went on too long. Lastly, and I know this is a really small nitpick, I wished Varrick was more prevalent in the Book. He was the best character in Book 2 and I kinda wanted him around more.

As for the good stuff. Well, we get to see KorraSami foreshadowing and the quest for the new Airbenders at the start. In my opinion, the best way to do a dark/depressing season is to start of lighthearted (See RWBY Vol 3 for a good example of this) and I loved the journey around the Earth Kingdom. Kai is fun, but nothing amazing. The seige on the Earth Queen’s palace was well-paced and nerve-wrecking. I really was worried for as silly as that sounds. I love the return of the Dai Li. Seriously, after all this time they still have no moral compass?

So Zaheer and the rest of the Red Lotus are the best Avatar villains in the whole franchise period. They actually feel like they’re right, and they work so well as a team together. It’s sorta like a dark Team Avatar, like how Unalaq was a Dark Avatar. I really like philosophical villains like Zaheer. He treated everyone around him with as much respect as he could reasonably give. I lost my mind when I saw him fly. A small thing, but I also liked the truck conversation between Bolin and Mako and Ghazan and Ming-Hua.

The characterization was just fantastic. Bolin was so fun this Volume. I think’s I’m beginning to like him more than Sokka due to his lack of sarcasm. It was great to see the relationship between Tenzin, the Airbenders and Jinora. Seeing Tenzin refuse to give up fighting the Red Lotus is one of the best scenes in the show so far. Still can’t say much for Mako though. He really never develops, does he?

Finally, this Book has a beautifiul bittersweet ending, between Korra sinking into depression and Jinora becoming oriented as an Airbending Master. Also Janet Varney provided some great voice acting in the Red Lotus venom scene. She made the scene even more unsettling than it needed.

I give Korra Book 3 an 8/10. Absolutely brilliant.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
BJN39 BJN39 's data says its FAF is 37F and its endlag is 23F. ssbwiki.com says that F-tilt's endlag has been increased under the list of changes from Smash 4 to Ultimate, but it doesn't say by how much. Maybe it's wrong?

BJN39, can you weigh in on the changes to Zelda's F-tilt?
I feel like ssbwiki frequently has grossly wrong changelists. I believe those numbers were gotten by recording gameplay of prerelease demos, so it was either changed before release or the reference video the data collector used was not an accurate representation of its true FAF.

When I started testing Ftilt I was fully expecting it to have longer endlag, but I’ve tested it in frame advance time and time again and the endlag is 3F shorter than SSB4’s hit 12 FAF 37. Kind of a gag tbh

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
I tend to start it up first then DI into my opponent. I find it works well as a preempt and can catch an opponent off guard. Zelda's improved aerial mobility works great for that and Nair's precise nature, can work in its favor in ducking under or shooting over disjoints. It's great I find, for preventing opponents from moving through the platforms, given that Nair hits low on the front hitbox and high on the back. You can catch opponents passing over you and trying to duck under.

Other than Chrom's forward air and Sheik's stuff, I haven't had much of a problem with its start-up, when used in the appropriate context. Something about active hitboxs, feels different in this game in terms of priority but I can't quite put my finger on it, to figure out whether it's placebo or not. Maybe it's just me.
That's what I meant sis. When Nair is already active it's very good it was an approach option I recommended against Peach was meet her with Nair already active was the only way to beat her aerials in smash4. So far her nair other that linking or knockback changes seems to still work the same

Where all my gorls at?
Smashboards as a whole feels very DED now
Pichu's Ftilt is gross. Frame 5 startup, 8 active frames, 13 recovery frames mainly due to how long it's active, trips at low percents, and kills at high percents. Pichu hurts itself when using it and its range isn't amazing, but Pichu is fast and tiny.
when that happened to me I was in outrage that pichu tiny ass feet can kill but Zeldas cant nearly as well lol

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
this is pretty cute and also reminded me I still haven't wrapped presents yet oh no

With those exposT toes!
tbh I have to keep 911 on speed dial because of your posts.

Oh, what I meant was it drops people out by itself waaay too often, just like it did in Melee. It's strange considering how consistent it was for both Brawl and Smash 4
Ye it's garbage now. It's only good if you use it going straight upward/downard. Goodness forbid if you move ever so slightly to the left or right.

I foresee Zelda getting some buffs in the future.

Power doesn't translate to gewdness if the angle is garbage. :secretkpop:

But Zelda is probably the kween of bad-angles so it's to be expected. It's like they forgot non-diagonal-KBs existed for most of her kit.

No. It's Eric Bittle from the web comic Check, Please!

You can read it here for free: http://checkpleasecomic.com/
I thought that was a cartoony version of yourself and it looked like a good and precious boi.

BuT now

My percep-T-ion of yew hasT beenT shatterT.

We need something to spark a discussion. How about bad coments I've gotten on my videos? That should fuel some sassT out of everyone here.
I mean, gorl, idk how many bad comments there are.

Because this is a picture of your most violent and mean sub:
bread boi.png

Gay Ginger

Switch FC
3923-4397-1697
Gorls, how does one play against the Inkings as Zelda?

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I've lost to almost every single Inkling I've encountered online lmao

I thought that was a cartoony version of yourself and it looked like a good and precious boi.

BuT now

My percep-T-ion of yew hasT beenT shatterT.
Honestly, if you switch the eye color to blue this would be a cartoony version of me, so your percep-T-ion is safe.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 189823

The best guy over here kept discrediting me because he kept taking a Heel to the face. He thinks it's super buffed here, and that anyone can just throw it out. He also said I "press buttons" when I did something weird when I was trying to DI out of Young Link's Up-B. I got out of the last hit, somehow, and manage to L.Kick him across the screen.

I don't feel offended by these things, anymore. But at the same time, I don't like when people descredit others and say stuff like "no I just didn't get the hang of it yet", or stuff like that. Took him a few matches to realise a few of those things weren't all that random... Kick OoS really helps, too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gay Ginger

Switch FC
3923-4397-1697
The best guy over here kept discrediting me because he kept taking a Heel to the face. He thinks it's super buffed here, and that anyone can just throw it out. He also said I "press buttons" when I did something weird when I was trying to DI out of Young Link's Up-B. I got out of the last hit, somehow, and manage to L.Kick him across the screen.

I don't feel offended by these things, anymore. But at the same time, I don't like when people descredit others and say stuff like "no I just didn't get the hang of it yet", or stuff like that. Took him a few matches to realise a few of those things weren't all that random... Kick OoS really helps, too.
Well, Princess Zorldo is the Kween of Salt so his salty reaction makes sense :secretkpop:

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029

Tbh using kicks as a string breaker has always been an ok option for Zelda throughout all games. It heavily depends in the opponents positioning though. If you can recognize when throwing one out could work I don't think you should be discredited. It punishes the opponent for being over aggressive.

Lol do they also get mad when Sheik fairs them out of a string?

D

Deleted member 189823

Tbh using kicks as a string breaker has always been an ok option for Zelda throughout all games. It heavily depends in the opponents positioning though. If you can recognize when throwing one out could work I don't think you should be discredited. It punishes the opponent for being over aggressive.
A lot of my kicks came as OoS punishes, which is something very recent to me. Since I had to switch controllers for this game, I had a lot of trouble doing that with the GC controller (buffered a roll). I switched to Joycons, and I do that a lot more freely. Kick OoS really is a godlike tool, and I still have to aim the driftback (doesn't hit super close, I think).

Lol do they also get mad when Sheik fairs them out of a string?
Well, this dude does main Sheik. He F-airs me across the stage, and I can only get a few hits in-between, assuming I'm careful about them.

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
Gorls, how does one play against the Inkings as Zelda?
Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I've lost to almost every single Inkling I've encountered online lmao
I tend to keep moving and stay one step ahead, both physically and metaphorically at all times. Inkling is fast but seems to lack range and aerial speed, so they play rather aggressive and seem to try and bait shields. You can take advantage of that, by always spacing just outside their range and make them frustrated and try to aerial you. Up-B OoS is your friend in this match-up and use it when you can. Punish their grenade and ink charge with Up-B. Shield or space an Fsmash, when they try to flatten you with roller.

Otherwise be patient, don't throw out anything laggy and let them be the one to commit. If they try camping, then charge the Phantom to make them approach. So far the only dangerous KO options they have, seem to be Fsmash, UpSmash. and Bair. As such don't get above them and be on the look-out for Fsmash and shield then punish. If you avoid those things, then you can live for quite awhile and have more opportunities to land the big hit.

They are weak off-stage and can die easily to Phantom and Din's Fire. If they try to recover from below and you are not confident in your spiking ability, then charge a Phantom and force them in the air or roll then punish. Patience is key, in this match-up.

If that's the best guy you have, I really feel for you.

Just take it as dishing out a beating so bad, they regressed into a low-level scrub.
Well, this dude does main Sheik. He F-airs me across the stage, and I can only get a few hits in-between, assuming I'm careful about them.
He definitely doesn't get to say anything then, when he mains Sheik, who doesn't seem to have a lot of the weaknesses that kept them balanced in 4.

D

Deleted member 189823

If that's the best guy you have, I really feel for you.

Just take it as dishing out a beating so bad, they regressed into a low-level scrub.
In terms of sportsmanship attitude, you mean? Our last one, surprisingly, wasn't so different.

I think being able to block everything out will make me far better a player.

He definitely doesn't get to say anything then, when he mains Sheik, who doesn't seem to have a lot of the weaknesses that kept them balanced in 4.

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
In terms of sportsmanship attitude, you mean? Our last one, surprisingly, wasn't so different.
Yeah. Just if the best player has such a mentality, I wonder if he is really all that skilled and it sounds like you'll quickly surpass everyone there. It might make it difficult to improve, if you have no equal.

And if you really want to screw with him, I don't have all the details hashed out yet, but it might be possible to combo from a Down-Tilt at the ledge into a spike on fast-fallers. I think Down-Tilt might go under the ledge, at least on some stages, although I don't have any easy way to test this. See if you can practice running Down-Tilt and catch him at the ledge, when he tries to recover at the lower percents.

If my theory holds true, he might really have some interesting reactions.

D

Deleted member 189823

Yeah. Just if the best player has such a mentality, I wonder if he is really all that skilled and it sounds like you'll quickly surpass everyone there. It might make it difficult to improve, if you have no equal.
As flattering as it is, I wouldn't want to get ahead of myself just yet. I want to keep a cool head, and not assume anything (good or bad). I do feel I can improve a lot more, and I'll get somewhere as I leave all my doubts and inscurities as a player.

There was a point he said after beating his ICs or Sheik that it might be a "problematic matchup" for him. He was the ICs I mentioned during my first day or so. I legit thought ICs were really good (and may still be), and was getting 2, sometimes even 3-stocked. I beat him a set and he just switched off of them.

And if you really want to screw with him, I don't have all the details hashed out yet, but it might be possible to combo from a Down-Tilt at the ledge into a spike on fast-fallers. I think Down-Tilt might go under the ledge, at least on some stages, although I don't have any easy way to test this. See if you can practice running Down-Tilt and catch him at the ledge, when he tries to recover at the lower percents.

If my theory holds true, he might really have some interesting reactions.
This sounds both, really satisfying as well as mildly problematic (his actual reaction)... lol. For all I know, it might be possible.

I also played a bit with the dash dance while they're on the ledge. I don't think I got anything important out of it, but it's also worth mentioning I've never seen anyone here ledge roll into stage. Since a lot of people get up from ledge with an aerial, I'm starting to feel U-Tilt is just really good at covering multiple options. Also started doing some U-Smash, there.

#NoFilter

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
As flattering as it is, I wouldn't want to get ahead of myself just yet. I want to keep a cool head, and not assume anything (good or bad). I do feel I can improve a lot more, and I'll get somewhere as I leave all my doubts and inscurities as a player.
Good to keep things realistic, yeah. Just from what you were describing, it seemed like your one day of real practice, sent him into a frenzy of excuses lol.
There was a point he said after beating his ICs or Sheik that it might be a "problematic matchup" for him. He was the ICs I mentioned during my first day or so. I legit thought ICs were really good (and may still be), and was getting 2, sometimes even 3-stocked. I beat him a set and he just switched off of them.
ICs I can see(no pun intended) but Sheik is even at best. In theory you should be able to wall Sheik out with Phantoms, but I played a good one, who seemed to be able to Nair through Phantom and Nayru's Love. I'll need to review the replays, but they either were really good at micro-spacing around those hitboxs or Sheik's Nair can contest with disjoints, somehow. Add to that Zelda being major combo food and also being light, so easily KO'd by even Sheik, who can now easily spam their KO options, and we may have a potential bad match-up on our hands.
This sounds both, really satisfying as well as mildly problematic (his actual reaction)... lol. For all I know, it might be possible.
Bring a camera and some armor.
I also played a bit with the dash dance while they're on the ledge. I don't think I got anything important out of it, but it's also worth mentioning I've never seen anyone here ledge roll into stage. Since a lot of people get up from ledge with an aerial, I'm starting to feel U-Tilt is just really good at covering multiple options. Also started doing some U-Smash, there.
It might just be a Zelda thing. I've almost exclusively played Zelda from the beginning, so my view might be a little skewed, but it seems like an opponent just has to dash dance near the ledge, to cover everything from Up-Bing on stage to get-up/get-up attack. I don't think Zelda can do the same with her mobility and precision, without the Phantom covering where she can't.

Lots of people like using aerial get-up now, with the mobility changes, but it makes them easier to read. If you use the Phantom to force a DJ or they DJ period, not many Dairs can beat Up-air, so can make for an easy KO. Use that habit to your advantage, next time you go.
#NoFilter
Liked.:)

D

Deleted member 189823

Good to keep things realistic, yeah. Just from what you were describing, it seemed like your one day of real practice, sent him into a frenzy of excuses lol.
They're all the same, honestly (and sadly). I am heavily trying to improve on my mindset, which a lot of has to do with one's ego. This means getting rid of polluting mindsets. I've always had a lot of insecurity and ego as a player, and getting rid of things like "fear of looking dumb", getting offended and things like that will be a massive improvement for me. I think a great player will go in with a clear mind, rather than distracting thoughts like "why am I losing to this person???".

This all matters, and I am not offended he called me out on button mashing.

ICs I can see(no pun intended) but Sheik is even at best. In theory you should be able to wall Sheik out with Phantoms, but I played a good one, who seemed to be able to Nair through Phantom and Nayru's Love. I'll need to review the replays, but they either were really good at micro-spacing around those hitboxs or Sheik's Nair can contest with disjoints, somehow. Add to that Zelda being major combo food and also being light, so easily KO'd by even Sheik, who can now easily spam their KO options, and we may have a potential bad match-up on our hands.
He used to main Sheik in Smash 4, as well. He's always been very patient and very precise. It's like he would always hit me when I tried to beat out an aerial, and I can never surprise him with stuff like Grabs and tomohawks in spite seeming conditioned to sit in shield. It's like he had some silly plot armour against since Day 1.

In Ultimate, I feel I can do a lot more by simply having the new dash dance. I don't people really get how good this is, yet. I can weave in and out and try and stuff his F-air approach with an U-Tilt, all while running. In Smash 4, all I could do is shield and pray I get a powershield (because I sucked at it).

Lots of people like using aerial get-up now, with the mobility changes, but it makes them easier to read. If you use the Phantom to force a DJ or they DJ period, not many Dairs can beat Up-air, so can make for an easy KO. Use that habit to your advantage, next time you go.
I'll definitely, definitely be using Phantom, from now on.

Chances are I'll spend more time taking hundreds of snapshots of Zelda than playing the actual game, once I get it.
#NoMoreWaifuFactor

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
They're all the same, honestly (and sadly). I am heavily trying to improve on my mindset, which a lot of has to do with one's ego. This means getting rid of polluting mindsets. I've always had a lot of insecurity and ego as a player, and getting rid of things like "fear of looking dumb", getting offended and things like that will be a massive improvement for me. I think a great player will go in with a clear mind, rather than distracting thoughts like "why am I losing to this person???".

This all matters, and I am not offended he called me out on button mashing.
Yeah, the best thing you can do is just improve yourself. Lots of people only good in their circle of friends, get a bit of an over-inflated opinion of themselves. Sometimes people that are younger or they have pegged worse than them, do better or become better than them and that's when the salt really flows. Use them as an example of what not to be and just focus on improving yourself.
He used to main Sheik in Smash 4, as well. He's always been very patient and very precise. It's like he would always hit me when I tried to beat out an aerial, and I can never surprise him with stuff like Grabs and tomohawks in spite seeming conditioned to sit in shield. It's like he had some silly plot armour against since Day 1.
It doesn't seem like you can beat Sheik's aerials, due to the frame data and long-lasting hitboxs. Similar thing with the grabs. With jumps being frame 3, aerials OoS are very good and Sheik has some of the best. And in 4 it was a similar story. I have only played two Sheik's in Ultimate and only one was any good, so I haven't figured out a counter yet.
In Ultimate, I feel I can do a lot more by simply having the new dash dance. I don't people really get how good this is, yet. I can weave in and out and try and stuff his F-air approach with an U-Tilt, all while running. In Smash 4, all I could do is shield and pray I get a powershield (because I sucked at it).
Indeed. Her dash dance is very good and is integral to certain match-ups, I feel. I used it quite a lot in 4 and it works even better in Ultimate.
I'll definitely, definitely be using Phantom, from now on.
It's not as complex or intimidating as it looks, to use initially and will work very well, against people with little match-up experience with Zelda. It will take a lot of matches and experience to use in higher level play but you have to learn it as you go anyway. You'll understand it in due time, with enough practice. Just don't keep spamming it, if that doesn't work.
Chances are I'll spend more time taking hundreds of snapshots of Zelda than playing the actual game, once I get it.
#NoMoreWaifuFactor
The new replay mode seems to work pretty well for that now lol. I wonder if they had the new Zelda in mind, when they designing it?:secretkpop:

D

Deleted member 189823

Yeah, the best thing you can do is just improve yourself. Lots of people only good in their circle of friends, get a bit of an over-inflated opinion of themselves. Sometimes people that are younger or they have pegged worse than them, do better or become better than them and that's when the salt really flows. Use them as an example of what not to be and just focus on improving yourself.
I don't think age is a boundary. A lot of guys are in their mid 20s, and this st

It doesn't seem like you can beat Sheik's aerials, due to the frame data and long-lasting hitboxs. Similar thing with the grabs. With jumps being frame 3, aerials OoS are very good and Sheik has some of the best. And in 4 it was a similar story. I have only played two Sheik's in Ultimate and only one was any good, so I haven't figured out a counter yet.
I don't think Sheik is all that changed, honestly. She seems a tiny bit stiff compared to before, but even then, this player is doing virtually the same combos and conversions he has in Smash 4. He can still F-air me across the stage and can combo stuff like N-air (pretty sure it was N-air) to Bouncing Fish and Zelda will die at about 100-120 towards the edge. Maybe needles aren't as annoying and don't combo into Bouncing Fish? That's about it, really.

I still have to watch VoiD's video.

It's not as complex or intimidating as it looks, to use initially and will work very well, against people with little match-up experience with Zelda. It will take a lot of matches and experience to use in higher level play but you have to learn it as you go anyway. You'll understand it in due time, with enough practice. Just don't keep spamming it, if that doesn't work.
I just think I'd have a think a little instead of randomly spamming it in neutral. I'll probably reserve to pretty much only ledge traps and maybe heavy projectile spammers like Y.Link and Villager/Isabelle.

Spamming is the last thing I'd do with it. I still hold my opinion Down B spamming will be the Zelda meta's downfall, and not it's pillar.

The new replay mode seems to work pretty well for that now lol. I wonder if they had the new Zelda in mind, when they designing it?:secretkpop:
Why.

Gay Ginger

Switch FC
3923-4397-1697
Got some Amazon gift cards for Christmas, so I used one of them to buy a download code for the Fighters Pass.

How is everyone's Christmas (if you celebrate it) going?

Last edited:

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
I got both of my Kaito shirts and much less importantly Smash Ultimate
-The Listen Flavor tee is much thicker while the Canvas one is so thin I can see through it. Both are still nice and soft tho.
-The design on the Canvas tee is a bit blurry, and...

o u thought I meant thoughts on Smash Ultimate. Fine I'll give those too

-I unlocked Zelda second lmao (first being Ness which seems to be most people's first). Wii Fit was also pretty early on, maybe 5th or so. So I did gud there.
-Quickplay worked fine for me tbh. I know there was the recent update that supposedly made it so that you have a chance at actually playing with the rules you chose, but I had 3 stock, 7 or 8 minute games on BF only and I got that almost every time. There were maybe 2 games each where the rules had 2 stocks instead of FD only, but it still worked out well for the most part. Altho I did play against 1 guy who picked all stages and we got 3DS Mute City and that was a thing that happened, but I still won so no big deal really.
-I REALLY NEED TO GET USED TO THE NEW AIRDODGES WOW. Directional airdodges have so much endlag if ur still in the air, and I keep accidentally doing them while offstage and then I can't recover and blah.
-I'm parrying a lot of attacks and not 1 so far has been intentional.
-And here come the questions that make me look like I'm playing this series for the first time, oh no. First, Gandondorf's side B. If he grabs you on stage, can you do anything after it? Because in 4 u could tech it or roll away or have other options, but here it seems like he just gets a free followup into jab or whatever. Am I doing something wrong or is this another thing to make Ganondorf not-suck
-Wii Fit's recovery. Does mashing make you go higher anymore? It seemed like when I mashed B, I went the same height as just pressing up B once and letting the animation play out in its own.
-What's the requirement currently to get into Elite Smash? I'm above 2 million with Wii Fit Trainer (more specifically about 2,047,000) and still nothing. ngl I thought this would've been quicker since everyone knows there's only like 5 people on Earth that know how to play Wii Fit Trainer aaaaaaand I guess that isn't how it works. I probably won't even play Elite battles that much, I just want the achievement of getting it.
Going to bed now but when I wake up fite me u gorls :angrykpop:

D

Deleted member 189823

I realise I haven't been getting a lot of Kicks after some point, yesterday. Kick OoS is godsent. I was getting them pretty consistently around the first hour or two, but somehow stopped. Even when I Parried, I was failing to get the sweetspot (all vs. Inkling). Is there something I'm missing about it? I heard you have sort of whiff back a bit so you land the tip, but there were times I coud get it on stuff like MK being right next to him.

Also, petition to change from Kick to Heel. Stomp to Heel is godlike.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
My late Christmas present came in the form of a Black Bara Santa and it's good.

Speaking of unreasonably masculine things, I started playing this dress-up/fighting/crafting/social/moderately-cringy game called Gaydorado and I have honestly never seen such an in-your-face gay thing or game in my life. There's a lot of cute normal outfits and cosplaying outfits (Hanzo or Soldier 76 outfits for example) but then there's some bulgy or PG13 lewdish outfits It's also part "dating" app so it has grindr/OK cupid type questions you can fill out if for some reason you want to use it for that (no thnx just here for the dress up party). You can have fashion battles or normal battles with other players. It's part gacha and part looting. They are VERY friendly with gacha currency (diamonds) and there are plenty of events going on, so it's a game you can hop on for 1 hour a day. Or talk to other gay gorls or real grills who want a manlier type of dress up game. w/e

Just have the sound off because the soundtrack is pretty low tier and the VA (little bit that's there) is pretty awful. And definietly a game that's hard to explain if someone catches you playing in in public (like trying to explain W!Tharja/half the female damage art/etc if someone sees them in public).

There are other characters you can collect and ofc they're either fit smol bois or big bara bois. They also have 3 outfits to pick from depending on how friendly you are with them, bathing suit (not lewd surprisingly) - sports gear - formal wear. Most of the bois are pretty tasteful with their attire choices. But since it's PG13 there's some lewd stuff and a character with a lewd category. It's really jarring. Like, my character is a buff precious boi mage with a staff and all. Swordfighter bois. QTPI casual bois. Dapper bois. Cosplay bois. THEN. LEWD BOIS. OUTTA NOWHERE. PLS NO. At least they don't show nawty bits I guess. But when they go lewd, they go in-your-face-gay-lewd as much as possible.

o. ya. btw. The G-Rated Bara Crusade is violent now, so if you are lewd, you will be erased from existence okthnx ♥♥♥.

Overall it's... Some... Unique form of a gay game. If for some reason you want to try it and don't mind seeing tons of bara for every loading screen, feel free to use my invite code: 1136XP. I def like the cute dress up fights. FeH needs dress up fights now.

I got both of my Kaito shirts and much less importantly Smash Ultimate
-The Listen Flavor tee is much thicker while the Canvas one is so thin I can see through it. Both are still nice and soft tho.
-The design on the Canvas tee is a bit blurry, and...

o u thought I meant thoughts on Smash Ultimate. Fine I'll give those too

-I unlocked Zelda second lmao (first being Ness which seems to be most people's first). Wii Fit was also pretty early on, maybe 5th or so. So I did gud there.
-Quickplay worked fine for me tbh. I know there was the recent update that supposedly made it so that you have a chance at actually playing with the rules you chose, but I had 3 stock, 7 or 8 minute games on BF only and I got that almost every time. There were maybe 2 games each where the rules had 2 stocks instead of FD only, but it still worked out well for the most part. Altho I did play against 1 guy who picked all stages and we got 3DS Mute City and that was a thing that happened, but I still won so no big deal really.
-I REALLY NEED TO GET USED TO THE NEW AIRDODGES WOW. Directional airdodges have so much endlag if ur still in the air, and I keep accidentally doing them while offstage and then I can't recover and blah.
-I'm parrying a lot of attacks and not 1 so far has been intentional.
-And here come the questions that make me look like I'm playing this series for the first time, oh no. First, Gandondorf's side B. If he grabs you on stage, can you do anything after it? Because in 4 u could tech it or roll away or have other options, but here it seems like he just gets a free followup into jab or whatever. Am I doing something wrong or is this another thing to make Ganondorf not-suck
-Wii Fit's recovery. Does mashing make you go higher anymore? It seemed like when I mashed B, I went the same height as just pressing up B once and letting the animation play out in its own.
-What's the requirement currently to get into Elite Smash? I'm above 2 million with Wii Fit Trainer (more specifically about 2,047,000) and still nothing. ngl I thought this would've been quicker since everyone knows there's only like 5 people on Earth that know how to play Wii Fit Trainer aaaaaaand I guess that isn't how it works. I probably won't even play Elite battles that much, I just want the achievement of getting it.
Going to bed now but when I wake up fite me u gorls :angrykpop:
You can tech, the window is just much tighter this time around. You should pretty much just spam buttons to get outta grabs and stuff. I was thinking of putting my 2nd jump button on turbo so I can ez spam to get out of low % grabs. :^)

I realise I haven't been getting a lot of Kicks after some point, yesterday. Kick OoS is godsent. I was getting them pretty consistently around the first hour or two, but somehow stopped. Even when I Parried, I was failing to get the sweetspot (all vs. Inkling). Is there something I'm missing about it? I heard you have sort of whiff back a bit so you land the tip, but there were times I coud get it on stuff like MK being right next to him.

Also, petition to change from Kick to Heel. Stomp to Heel is godlike.
Inkling vs Zelda:
1) Inkling is so much faster in movement and attack speed.
2) She can't really reflect anything back at them unless they are point blank and don't get hit by Naryu's shards.
3) Inkling has a very twiggy and animated hurtbox, so it's not consistent enough to hit sweetspots on (bad for landing kicks/heels).
4) They melt into the ground whenever they run, so it's like a Jigglypuff who is constantly crouching (if not smaller) when they run.
5) They have a better recovery than Zelda so she can't really harass them off stage (which is a huge part of why she's better in U than 4).]
6) Overall too fast and ranged/campy to use Phantom Knight against them.
7) Paint Roller bait. Basically an easy KO or free damage if you do anything remotely laggy around them.
8) Paint gimmick = higher KB/damage, so they shred Zelda even with pokes.

Honestly, you shouldn't even try to win vs them unless you're a fan of doing the Surprised Pikachu Meme irl. Just study them for now and see what you can safely do vs them. Though it's not a Zelda-specific problem since the entire cast gets stomped by Inklings due to how poorly balanced they are atm. We lose Bayonetta's oppressiveness and we get something even worse and harder to hit. Lucky us. :^)

That aside, most characters are adequately shaped (round or tall) so Zelda can land some sort of kick on them without too much trouble. Inklings are the outliers since they have tiny round heads and then noodles for everything else. There's probably a few other weirdos hurtbox-wise, but I haven't encountered them yet.

D

Deleted member 189823

Well, this isn't necessarily asking about the whole matchup, but that sole factor in it...but then again, you do make solid points I wouldn't have even known first place (like their wonky hurtboxes and them basically disappearing into the ground).

Thing is, I've decided to go all Zelda, no matter what. I won't go to secondaries, because it's not my style. I'm going to have (and have been) playing against this character. I also won't just throw out Phantom, because it's silly to base your neutral on that alone.

As to the Roller, I think I've been stupid enough to learn from it. My training partner will just eventually throw it out every now and then when he can't kill, and I find just avoiding it (running away, jumping or even just shielding), works. Hell, I got a few Heels by just shielding and going OoS.

Lil Puddin Lil Puddin

Gay Ginger

Switch FC
3923-4397-1697
I've decided to go all Zelda, no matter what
Same. Been solo Zelda since Melee. (Though occasionally I'll play a few matches as Palutena non-seriously for fun).

We're going to be in for some rough-*** matchups, Archie Brother <3

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 189823

All these actual people that have mained Zelda before, and here I am, but a fake. :D

But, yeah, it's not really an option for me. I'm confident we have all the tools for every matchup, this time.

Gay Ginger

Switch FC
3923-4397-1697
I'm confident we have all the tools for every matchup, this time.
My initial impression is that Zelda should do okay vs. most of the cast. I'm worried about how she'll fare against the Top Tiers, though.

Even so, it doesn't look like she'll have any match ups as god awful as Brawl Zelda vs. Olimar *shudders*, or Brawl Zelda vs. Metaknight. So, that's a huge plus lol.

Top Bottom