• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Zelda Social - Still the queen of Smash...and maybe queen of low tier for a decade, too. Shall we make it two?

Are you happy with the Link Between Worlds redesign?

• Yes, she's gorgeous and expressive.

Votes: 265 65.9%
  • No, Breath of the Wild had such potential.

Votes: 56 13.9%
  • No, Twilight Princess death stare Zelda was the best design.

Votes: 45 11.2%
  • I'm happy with any design, just as long as she's viable,

Votes: 36 9.0%

• Total voters

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
Hey gorls, long time no see! I just wanted to drop by and see how things were going.

So, I noticed when I was fighting Pit, his arrows would miss me when I used down tilt. I’m pretty sure this was not the case in Sm4sh. I’m not sure if this people have already found this or if down tilt has the same application for other projectiles (or moves in general), but I thought it was interesting.

Edit: Video

Zelda could duck some things in smash4 but it wasnt alot to be applicable, maybe they lowered her hurt box for this game when she Dtilts

Linnc

Smash Cadet
Zelda could duck some things in smash4 but it wasnt alot to be applicable, maybe they lowered her hurt box for this game when she Dtilts
Hmm, I noticed her hurtbox would get smaller Sm4sh, but it seems like the arrow is literally going behind her in Ultimate.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Hmm, I noticed her hurtbox would get smaller Sm4sh, but it seems like the arrow is literally going behind her in Ultimate.
It could be a z-axis thing or it could be an animation thing. Quoting this over for this.
So, I noticed when I was fighting Pit, his arrows would miss me when I used down tilt. I’m pretty sure this was not the case in Sm4sh. I’m not sure if this people have already found this or if down tilt has the same application for other projectiles (or moves in general), but I thought it was interesting.

When she kicks with her left leg, she is turning into her kick. Ultimate also changed a lot of animations even if they weren't really needed which in Zelda's case where she's not Twilight Princess Zelda anymore and she probably doesn't carry as much animations over from Melee Zelda like Brawl and Smash 4 Zelda did, her animations were overhauled.

Anyway, according to his gif on the SSBwiki, Smash 4 Zelda kicks with her right leg and her left arm looks like it moves slightly above her head whereas in Ultimate, she kicks with her left leg as noted before and her right arm which she isn't using to brace herself looks like it's positioned lower or she just doesn't raise it like she did in the previous game.

We don't know what the hitboxes of Pit's arrows are exactly, but regardless, I think two explanations could be that it's going behind her, so z-axis issues, or it's not hitting her non-bracing arm because it's not positioned as high anymore.

Last edited:

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
Imagine this when Joker is released in Smash Ultimate.

Shulk in his Reyn alt, surrounded by 7 Jokers.

"MAN WHAT A BUNCHA JOKERS!"

:secretkpop:

And here's one more bad joke for you all.

What is a JoJo fan's favouite genre of comedy?

STAND UP!

I'll see myself out.

Anyway, what's happening Patch 1.2.0 fans? :ultzelda:

Sadly we got no patch notes on what has truly been adjusted to the fighters that were fixed; but hopefully we will in future updates. That'd be nice if they were as in depth as they were as Splatoon's patch notes.

Also, I've finally submitted my work earlier today, so now I can rest easy and just chill for the Christmas holidays. So that's good. Also, yesterday a parcel from Japan arrived; and I know what it is, but I won't be getting it till Christmas, which I'm fine with.

Last edited:

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
Think I saw a comment concerning Phantom’s Frame Data and it’s Frame 7-17 on full charge release. Prolly hits max forward range at around 11-14.

Also the shield kinda acts like an invincible period for the phantom at the start of late charge 4 and 5, as soon as the shield spawns. It’s only a couple frames but if your timing is good you can pop it out if a fully charged sun salutation is coming at you and phantom will rank it despite that being over its damage threshold.

Btw full charge phantom can tank 21.5% now instead of 13%. BEAUTY

I think anyone who has reliable ways to maneuver past phantom will make Zelda struggle, but otherwise her potential escape from bottom tier really has been mostly in due to Phantom. Mechanics were pretty good to her this time though; Landing lag buffs help a ton, everyone elses grabs getting nerfed to her level (her’s grab slower but the endlag is the same or better than average now.) to name some stuff.

I literally can’t just camp, but now Zelda kinda has to try to do it, so...
Some attacks like Flare Blitz can reach through shield and hit Zelda before being carried off by the Phantom so be careful with that
but yeah that shield definitely adds another dimension to Zelda's moveset. As for the mechanics and camping I think maybe camping isn't
such a good idea. Zelda got nerfed in a bit of a low key way I think, because not just shields and dodges but defensive play in general
got a nerf. Fast characters can blitz through defense now on sheer mobility alone. Phantom helps but it's not always possobile to setup
in time.

Im currently testing an aggressive "high-speed camping" style where I constantly throw out hitboxs to put pressure on the
opponent, while squeezing through any openings I create to the other side of the stage where I repeat the process 'till I deal
enough damage for the KO. I find this plays quite the mind games with my opponent and sometimes they naturally become more cautious and
then I can slowly press the attack. Farore's Wind might be a seriously overlooked tool if we are not careful. It's frame buffs allow to
both be a potent punish tool as well as a movement tool. If for example Link is charging an arrow you can punish with Farore's Wind
and after a few times of that your opponent starts becoming more cautious which allows you to better setup the Phantom. This works on
blitz characters as well because you can teleport to punish a move that would normally be safe for them and they sometimes start
slowing down and becoming more cautious.

This potentially allows us to compete with their speed and box them in with Phantom and the rest of her moveset. It's still pretty unrefined and relies a lot on match-up knowledge which I'm sorely lacking but I managed to reach elite with 1,265,836 GSP if that counts for anything. I don't know if this will remain viable when the meta develops and people become more familiar with Zelda but currently it allows me to consistently go even with good sword character players and I'm slowly starting to beat them. Of course I don't know where I'm at currently compared to everyone else given there is no leaderboards that I know of, so this might be a silly idea and won't work on good players and that I'm only swimming in the kiddie pool currently.It could be my own limitations that I'm struggling and feel that the speed characters are going to keep Zelda below high tier but I feel like this strategy may be pretty good once it's fully hashed out and refined.

This is probably never gonna be applicable, but I got matched against someone on the Little Mac stage. I went for a Phantom while bouncing on the ropes. My Phantom charged to full on the ropes while I was able to move on with my life. I'm sure y'all probably knew about this already - and it isn't really practical. But I found it weird.
It also works on platforms, ledges, and anything considered solid ground. I even did it on Tingle's balloon. I'm not sure
of the exact criteria, but I think you need to charge Phantom while in the air and have only the Phantom land on whatever ground
you want. For example you can jump at the ledge while charging Phantom and have Zelda fall past the ledge, while Phantom lands
then the Phantom will cover the ledge while Zelda goes offstage.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
I caved and got Online for Smash because I am impatient and truly want to be in debt this Xmas. Anyway, I like the variety of the online mode, but not being able to change characters between matches with the same person is very dumb. Not letting us pick our own maps to put into the rotation seems like a dumb oversight even if it's for Quickplay. Though it did lead to some funny things like the 8-bit Mario Bros. Stage. I was fighting a Link and we were just running back and forth through the blast zone area and surviving to 200%-300% at a time.

As for Zelda, she feels better as a keep away character (which is a bad niche for this type of game anyway lmao) but her ground game and everything else just feels worse when it's put to the test. She got buffed, it's apparent. But everyone also got buffed, pretty much putting her right back where she was to begin with in terms of offense (worse, because Uair has been untouched and Nair doesn't link if she's moving horizontally which makes a crappy-tiny-hitbox Nair even worse so her only real form of harassment/catching/etc is strictly horizontal).

Her awful KB angles are also a problem since the're the safest diagonal angles possible for most of her heavy hitting moves. There's no point in being a powerful/slow glass cannon if all your "scary" stuff helps people survive without much effort. Like. What?

The balance dev that's responsible for balancing only Zelda IRL(front) and Zelda main (back) :

But. Like. At least she isn't Inineroar/Castlevania Bois.

Good gawdess, I can't even with those bois - even if they are baras. Thanks to them we know Zelda won't be in the bottom 3. :secretkpop:

PSA gorls, I had a suspicionT about phantom’s HP, and as it turns out in my latest tests I discovered that Phantom’s uncharged HP is much lower, and it scales with charge, maxing at 21.5%. At minimum it’s like, 7.3% HP lol. I’m not really upset because it can still instantly tank a hit for Zelda and be used again just under 2 seconds later, which is waaaay better than the long wait in SSB4 to reuse Phantom.
Ye iz ok. It gets destroyed left and right ez pzy online, but it's still a distraction and it comes back in 2 seconds - so basically by the next time she can safely charge it up again.

btw, did her range on her moves change at all? I can't help but feel her Utilt/Usmash are shorter. Or the same exact height so any buff she received to the range is just a height fix due to her slightly shorter stature. Honestly every non-special she has "feels smaller" except for her twinkle toes.

Hey gorls, long time no see! I just wanted to drop by and see how things were going.

I noticed cute stuff like that too. I think it's because Smolda's hurtbox overall is slightly shorter but "stands" wider usually. I also noticed her hand motions aren't as dramatic as Sassda's (gorl be throwin' her hands up like her jam's startin' or some ****).

This is probably never gonna be applicable, but I got matched against someone on the Little Mac stage. I went for a Phantom while bouncing on the ropes. My Phantom charged to full on the ropes while I was able to move on with my life. I'm sure y'all probably knew about this already - and it isn't really practical. But I found it weird.
Well, she charges it incredibly fast, so it could be that you just met the charge requirement. Though it's possible that bouncing can reset her motions and just cause Phantom to stop charging. We'd need a frame-by-frame play to see how it actually all went down though, since... Again... That thing charges stupidly fast. Not fast enough to be consistently useful. But fast-ish anyway.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 189823

Dear Zelda Boards,

Today, I tried Smash Último for the for first time. Good Lord, what a ****ing headache. I suck. Right off the bat, this game just feels far, far more technical than Smash 4. It's easy to judge a book by it's cover, but it's definitely far different than it's predecessor.

And that said, I really enjoyed it. It has so much potential. I find it a lot like Melee in somewhat of a vague way. You so many options out of mobility I just didn't know what to do with them. I literally didn't. I kept forgetting I could do things like Jab out of Dash. And I definitely don't feel safe shielding. It's something I really have to overcome.

Linnc

Smash Cadet
I’m curious to see if her altered hurtbox placements for her modified down tilt animation can duck under or possibly completely avoid any or more of the same moves as it did in previous smash games.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 189823

Let me be the one to inject a little positive outlook in here with this gif from a Zelda discord I joined recently:

https://imgur.com/qfsVfpu

Utilt is clean as heck. Also that DEEP Phantom gimp after running across the stage was definitely very good.

Edit Bonus:

https://www.facebook.com/TuxKick/videos/316266065890038/?t=0

Yeah, Utilt is looking pretty great. Also Dtilt > Fair looking pretty clean too.

(Oops! Double post, my bad).
mirin'

I’m curious to see if her altered hurtbox placements for her modified down tilt animation can duck under or possibly completely avoid any or more of the same moves as it did in previous smash games.
I saw the one where she ducked under Pit's arrow...and just when I was starting to get skeptical about D-Tilt. I don't know, maybe I just suck at using it (kind of used it a traditonal Jab/"get off me" fast move to cover other stuff). I like how fast it is, but the angle is very new to me...

Last edited by a moderator:

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
I finally set Battlefield stages only in the quicklplay preferences and my win rate shot up quite a bit.
Now instead of winning 60%, I win about like 90%. I guess it took me awhile to realize how bad normal
stages are for Zelda. I also encountered a rare Zelda sighting and though the match was a little
laggy, it was interesting. I don't know if people rarely play her despite the waifu factor or if
those who play her are so good they are well above where I am at currently. Either way is optimistic
for Zelda's future viability.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
So, on my usual lurking of Smash dataminers on Twitter, I found this which I truly believe defines and has always defined Zelda. :p

Last edited:

McKnightlíght

Getting back into the dunk game
NNID
EvanMcKnight
3DS FC
4399-0018-3572
I have 6 mains...

Ridley is a dark horse pick for me. I don't care about Metroid or his character and he looked unremarkable when I first saw him, but he feels so smooth for me.

The others are:

Ike

Marcina

Sonic

Chrom

I have 6 mains...

Ridley is a dark horse pick for me. I don't care about Metroid or his character and he looked unremarkable when I first saw him, but he feels so smooth for me.

The others are:

Ike

Marcina

Sonic

Chrom
o yeah and Zelda I guess

D

Deleted member 189823

Just pick one and stick with it dude.

I'm Zelda Day 1 forever.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Hey y’all, mentioned it only a couple pages ago. Please try not to double post. Use edit to add on as needed.

The Zelda boards once again house myself, the understanding but double post-despising Zelda momma, but I will not toleraTe any flagrant double posting.

Last edited:

Gay Ginger

Make Smash Bros. Gay Again
Switch FC
3923-4397-1697
How is everyone doing? It's been a while!

I'm still trying to get the hang of Zelda's new Phantom, but I like it a lot so far!

The biggest hurdle for me so far is the change in short hop mechanics. In the heat of the moment, I keep forgetting that the button input has changed so I sometimes accidentally full hop and miss the LK punish instead :/

D

Deleted member 189823

Zelda Report.

Been to my first Snash Ultimate tournament. All Zelda...got 9th out of 58. I definitely could've pushed for an extra set or two, but I did what I did. Legit thought I could win the the tournament, somehow. Buy maybe that's a little ambitious for touching the game only a 2nd. Plus, I still can't Up-B and aerial OoS with a GC controller.

Otherwise, fun as hell. Managed to sneak in a crapton of friendlies pre, post- and even during tournament (dude had his portable Switch setup, LOL). Really getting into the flow. Still need to remind myself we have a badass Down-B (2-3people literally brought it up).

Noticed my consistency and tech skill really dropped through the hours. Didn't like how I handled about half my battles, in spite of winning a few.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
https://twitter.com/Virum_SD/status/1073095543633653760?s=19

Omg I knew something was up with this

She only has 2 idle animations now
BUFF ZELDA
I wonder why they bothered making the animation in the first place if they decided not to use it. I get that not everything makes it into the final build and there are unused animations in game files, but Zelda's unused idle animation was perfectly fine and it's not like it was a move they wanted to implement, but couldn't figure out how to or ran out of time. It's just visual fluff. Roy's different dash animation in the trailer is another thing where they could have kept it in even if it looked a bit weird or maybe have given it to him or Chrom to make them a little different. Then again, Falco's Up Smash in Ultimate is a thing: "Hey, let's give this character an intricately animated new Up Smash in Smash 4," which then leads to "Remember that time we made this cool Up Smash for Falco? Let's make another one like that and give it to him." Why? The worst part is that this cost him a ledge coverage option because his new Up Smash has less horizontal range, especially behind him. Wolf's Up Smash does that now and the least they could have done was just make it so both Falco and Wolf had leg invincibility and Wolf's did more damage and/or knockback while Falco's had higher active frames or something. Nope, let's give this damn bird a faster version of Captain Falcon's Up Smash that faces the screen which also makes it resemble Rugal Bernstein's Genocide Cutter because reasons.

Some idiot decided to steal a bunch of Kingdom Hearts III copies so he could sell them. Why is he an idiot? Because he tried to sell them using his own personal Facebook account: http://www.siliconera.com/2018/12/16/director-nomura-provides-statement-on-kingdom-hearts-iii-leak/. Really? Regardless, there's probably going to be some leaks floating around now.

Somebody or rather siegbody had to ruin everything in FEH. :p
4* M!Corrin: +Res, -Def.

4* Henry: +Spd, -HP.

3* Roderick: +Res, -Atk.

5* Siegbert: +HP, -Def.

4* Sophia: +Atk, -Spd.

4* Cain: +Atk, -Def.

3* Eliwood: +Spd, -Res.

4* Gaius: +Spd, -Res.

3* Hawkeye: +Res, -Spd.

4* Matthew: +Res, -HP.
And 3* Tiki (+Res, -Atk), 4* Cordelia (+Res, -Atk), 3* Hawkeye (+HP, -Res), and 3* Kaze (+HP, -Spd) from the free ticket summons.

Not exactly thrilled about any of the new winter Heroes, so I tried to get someone from the Hero Fest banner. I don't think I have ever had any luck getting a focus unit on any Hero Fest banner.

Last edited:

HotSummer

Smash Rookie
So I wanted to have a little chit-chat with our beloved Smash 4 Zelda (it's been quite a while). However, Ultimate Zelda answered. Here is what she said

A sassy queen spilling tea.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
SO, because I have Red Magic, every time I search bar for “Zelda Social” the ghosT of a little thread made here by Fujin pops up every time for me to see, and I’m reminded I can view this P O E T R Y:

Zelda, Queen of Hyrule Bottom Tier, Leader of the Sages, Goddess of Hylia herself reincarnated has returned once again to the Smash series.

After years of ruling over the depths of the lowest of tiers, Kween Zelda had decided it was time for change.

No longer angry with the god of Smash Sakurai for his unbridled hatred of her, the good sis has come to terms with her place in Smash.

In preparation for her third debut, Kween Zeldawful decided it was time for a makeover. She has returned to ha natural hair color and chosen to sport some (very questionable) bangs. Switching out bottom tier boots for S tier sandals. Even going as far as taking off her gloves for some bling.

"If I'm destined to be garbage, I may as well look cute", the young queen thought to herself.

With a new look, a new voice, and completely new moveset animations, things were beginning to look up for the newly positive queen.

After all, when you're at the bottom, the only place you can go is up.

Last edited:

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
So I wanted to have a little chit-chat with our beloved Smash 4 Zelda (it's been quite a while). However, Ultimate Zelda answered. Here is what she said

A sassy queen spilling tea.
Is that a meme or a Zelda playstyle-guide? :secretkpop:

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
I unexpectedly queued into Nairo's Lucina tonight! It's his stream vid, around 1:16, but I played four matches against him. I was very clearly outskilled, but the 3rd round was down to the last hit. I really needed to use more Phantom to fend off Lucina, but otherwise it was fun, and Zelda felt *kinda* like a character for a bit. I didn't really play Sm4sh at all, so a lot of the techniques that folks learned from that game are still very new to me, and I got read a lot. But Nairo's an awesome dude, and his stream was chill, too.

A lot less exciting, I fought a Palutena who beat me by avoiding me and forcing me to approach by running all over the place, only throwing out her safest attacks and chipping away at me. It was a very frustrating set of games. I got into the habit of teleporting into her while she threw out Explosive Flames, but other than that, I really don't know how to deal with that matchup.

Last edited:

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
What's happening SBPhiloz4 fans? :ultzelda:

So I managed to watch a bit of DPG18, and there was some very hype stuff. Especially the start of Top 8, that was nuts to be honest.

1st. MVD :ultsnake:
2nd. ESAM :ultpikachu::ultyoshi:
3rd. Konga :ultdk:
4th. Big D :ultkingdedede::ultfalcon::ultpeach:
5th. Jtails :ulttoonlink::ultness::ultdiddy::ultbayonetta:
5th. Captain L :ultpichu::ultjigglypuff:
7th. 2ManyCooks :ultyounglink:
7th. Magister :ultincineroar::ultvillager:

Highlight for me was Big D vs. Magister. Big D went in with Captain Falcon against Magister, it was amazing.

Anyway, sister will be visiting this Friday for the Christmas holidays, so that'll be grand. And I'll be currently looking through some stuff I'll need to do for my new assessment. Fingers crossed everyone.

Also, CR has been acting like crap to me on Wii U (Then again, when hasn't it?). It just ends up loading infinitely whenever I try to watch a show. smh

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
Zelda Report.

Been to my first Snash Ultimate tournament. All Zelda...got 9th out of 58. I definitely could've pushed for an extra set or two, but I did what I did. Legit thought I could win the the tournament, somehow. Buy maybe that's a little ambitious for touching the game only a 2nd. Plus, I still can't Up-B and aerial OoS with a GC controller.

Otherwise, fun as hell. Managed to sneak in a crapton of friendlies pre, post- and even during tournament (dude had his portable Switch setup, LOL). Really getting into the flow. Still need to remind myself we have a badass Down-B (2-3people literally brought it up).

Noticed my consistency and tech skill really dropped through the hours. Didn't like how I handled about half my battles, in spite of winning a few.
That sounds pretty good for not getting a lot of playtime. I hear you on the GC controller. Had to switch from the joycons because they were too small and my wii u pro controller isn't compatible. I'm finding it very frustrating Up-Bing with it because I keep accidentally slotting into the wrong notch and fall short or above where I want and eat a punish/SD. I suicide once every like 4-5 matches and sometimes twice in one match! I lost a lot of games I should have won.
I unexpectedly queued into Nairo's Lucina tonight! It's his stream vid, around 1:16, but I played four matches against him. I was very clearly outskilled, but the 3rd round was down to the last hit. I really needed to use more Phantom to fend off Lucina, but otherwise it was fun, and Zelda felt *kinda* like a character for a bit. I didn't really play Sm4sh at all, so a lot of the techniques that folks learned from that game are still very new to me, and I got read a lot. But Nairo's an awesome dude, and his stream was chill, too.

A lot less exciting, I fought a Palutena who beat me by avoiding me and forcing me to approach by running all over the place, only throwing out her safest attacks and chipping away at me. It was a very frustrating set of games. I got into the habit of teleporting into her while she threw out Explosive Flames, but other than that, I really don't know how to deal with that matchup.
That's pretty cool. That third match was pretty exciting. The only celebrity I think I've run into is Prince Ramen. The first match was kind of close but he definitely bodied me the next two. I also don't really know how to handle Palutena and Prince Ramen's was definitely really difficult. He was really good at using Explosive Flame to mess with my recovery and was preventing me from recovering low.

I get what Nairo was saying about Up-Bing on stage. I used to think it was pretty good but have since found out it only really works on slow characters and characters with a lot of commitment. Good on Links and heavys but not so good on Lucina and other fast characters. I noticed a lot of Nairo's characters are around where my Zelda is currently at. I wonder what the chances are of me running into him as well?

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
I've done that to every Zelda I've run into in free play as Daisy, cause I ain't dealing with her **** and gonna camp Zelda till she cries lol. so sorry in advance if yall ran into a green Daisy plucking and chucking all match.

Pally still cant camp that well i don't think, but she still moves faster than Zelda so you're going to need to limit her movement space and force her into fisticuffs.

D

Deleted member 189823

That sounds pretty good for not getting a lot of playtime. I hear you on the GC controller. Had to switch from the joycons because they were too small and my wii u pro controller isn't compatible. I'm finding it very frustrating Up-Bing with it because I keep accidentally slotting into the wrong notch and fall short or above where I want and eat a punish/SD. I suicide once every like 4-5 matches and sometimes twice in one match! I lost a lot of games I should have won.
Thank you.

My main controller has been Wii classic Pro, for years. You'd think the closest thing would be the Switch Pro, but it felt even weirder than the GC controller. I don't seem to have too much trouble with it, beyond those two things (Up-B and Kicks OoS). Dash-Dashing is extremely easy with it, thankfully.

I was a bit luckier with my up-Bs. I got a ton of kills on suprise Up-Bs...95%, on the ground. I got very confident with those, but it can only be a surprise or punishing an actual action (i.e they happen to SH across the stage and they don't expect). The time that gave me trouble was Orpheon's right ledge. You can teleport through it, if you do it from the sides.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
but not being able to change characters between matches with the same person is very dumb.
Preach. On.

I find players that I'm learning a lot from, either because we're right at the same level of skill or because they're playing a character I never really get a chance to fight. And I really want the option to just say, "Hold on a minute, I wanna try _____ now." But nope. Not an option.

I *could* look them up in my recent players list, send a friend request, then hope that they get the message and join an arena that I have open and waiting, but the chances of that are so slim that I just keep hitting rematch until one of us gets bored.

Man, the Xbox 360 had a better online setup on day one in 2006 than the Switch does in 2018.

Last edited:

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
Thank you.

My main controller has been Wii classic Pro, for years. You'd think the closest thing would be the Switch Pro, but it felt even weirder than the GC controller. I don't seem to have too much trouble with it, beyond those two things (Up-B and Kicks OoS). Dash-Dashing is extremely easy with it, thankfully.

I was a bit luckier with my up-Bs. I got a ton of kills on suprise Up-Bs...95%, on the ground. I got very confident with those, but it can only be a surprise or punishing an actual action (i.e they happen to SH across the stage and they don't expect). The time that gave me trouble was Orpheon's right ledge. You can teleport through it, if you do it from the sides.
Yeah, the Switch Pro looked pretty off. Which is a shame because the Wii U one was so good. I don't understand the whole asymmetrical sticks thing. The Joycon sticks felt weird too which is why I didn't buy the Pro. I think I'm going to get the Mayflash adapter for Christmas because my family's traditional like that and still demands lists but I'm starting to wonder if I should've bought it myself.
I live in the middle of nowhere and have major health issues so travel isn't really viable and so I don't have to worry about tournament legality. Besides I accidentally dropped my awful GC controller knock-off and now the rumble won't work.

My problem wasn't so much that I was botching all my Up-Bs so much as whenever I needed to Up-B in a tricky situation like through a tight edgeguard or through the platforms to escape projectiles as well as punish the projectiler. I think the problem is I was so used to sliding the stick along the side and through the dead zones that I sometimes fall into my old habits when under that kind of pressure. Hopefully I don't need to relearn any muscle memory when I get to use my Pro again.

Man, the Xbox 360 had a better online setup on day one in 2006 than the Switch does in 2018.
Yeah, I don't understand Nintendo sometimes(a lot of times). They just need to copy the other guy so I don't know why they do these things.
I've done that to every Zelda I've run into in free play as Daisy, cause I ain't dealing with her **** and gonna camp Zelda till she cries lol. so sorry in advance if yall ran into a green Daisy plucking and chucking all match.

Pally still cant camp that well i don't think, but she still moves faster than Zelda so you're going to need to limit her movement space and force her into fisticuffs.
I ran into a camping Daisy earlier today. She turned around a pretty big deficit and barely won. It probably wasn't you but thanks a lot anyway.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
If you value flexibility in play more than rank and quick matchmaking, just use public arenas. Very few fighting games to my knowledge allow immediate rematches, let alone switch characters against the same person, in ranked lobbies.

This no-quick-switching is the price we pay for being able to find fair (skill-wise) matches most of the time, no matter your skill with a particular character, while also not jeopardizing some overall standing attained by your most practiced character beforehand.

D

Deleted member 189823

Yeah, the Switch Pro looked pretty off. Which is a shame because the Wii U one was so good. I don't understand the whole asymmetrical sticks thing. The Joycon sticks felt weird too which is why I didn't buy the Pro. I think I'm going to get the Mayflash adapter for Christmas because my family's traditional like that and still demands lists but I'm starting to wonder if I should've bought it myself.
I live in the middle of nowhere and have major health issues so travel isn't really viable and so I don't have to worry about tournament legality. Besides I accidentally dropped my awful GC controller knock-off and now the rumble won't work.
Yeah, I'm also considering looking into the whole Bluetooth adapter thing. A guy at the tournament had it, and apparently played with a Wii U Pro. Another guy made me aware of the possibility of input lag (given it's a controller hooked onto a Wiimote, in my case)... I'm sure I'll be fine. Didn't hear of any complications with it.

I think that if you care about the competitive aspect of the game, you should take it upon yourself to eventually get out there, more. You don't have to aim to be the very best to be a good player and enjoy the process. It feels really good to play different opponents and get better. I used to have a very mediocre loser mindset in which I would hope for my opponent to be bad for me to be able to win, but now I can only overcome myself by playing and trying to beat everyone.

Still think I could've done a decent bit better.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
So, do we ban Isabelle now instead of Zelda with how she's breaking Ultimate? :p

The short rundown on this is that apparently pocketing the slingshot projectile between her and Villager causes the game to crash. This doesn't happen with other projectiles with them or between two Isabelles or two Villagers. Also, apparently she can do something that causes Assist Trophies to spawn infinitely.

FEH shenanigans: I got Ophie! I was pondering if I should do another full summon from the Hero Fest banner and I said to myself I would only do a full pull if there were a bunch of greens. I didn't get Lewyn, but I got Ophie! Her ready animation is so adorable. If only I did get a spare Lewyn since Special Spiral Ophie is crazy.
3* Fae: +Def, -Atk.

5* Ophelia: +Spd, -Def.

3* Raven: +Spd, -HP.

3* Titania #1: +Def, -HP.

4* Titania #2: +Def, -HP.

Last edited:

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
I ran into a camping Daisy earlier today. She turned around a pretty big deficit and barely won. It probably wasn't you but thanks a lot anyway.
Oh no sis that wasnt me yesterday, I was too busy losing my Elite status as Zelda getting man handled by IKEA. I think Zelda's bad in this game lol

Top Bottom