• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I personally find it difficult to get good friends. I warm up pretty slowly to new people, and it takes even longer for me to start freely talking about myself, and even longer for me to actively try to arrange stuff to do with them.

I've been told by a lot of people that I didn't appear to be very pleasant when they first met me, lol.
Something to think about (and not treat as a rule) is that your impression of somebody is likely their impression of you. Good friends take a long time to make. I probably only have two close friends that I can talk to about anything and I know without a doubt if they or I were in need, the other would do their best to help. We talk only occasionally, but we're there for each other.

It definitely takes effort, and it's also a skill. Personally, I am extremely self-conscious which is definitely something to avoid when wanting to meet new people. I always thought it was weird... my mom would speak as if she had a lot of friends and yet she never meets with them. Being a little bit older now, I realize life really, really gets in the way. It's kinda why I'm trying hard to meet more people and to explore more hobbies... It's hard to break out your shell as an introvert but just give it a try and you might like it.

Last edited:

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
Something to think about (and not treat as a rule) is that your impression of somebody is likely their impression of you. Good friends take a long time to make. I probably only have two close friends that I can talk to about anything and I know without a doubt if they or I were in need, the other would do their best to help. We talk only occasionally, but we're there for each other.

It definitely takes effort, and it's also a skill. Personally, I am extremely self-conscious which is definitely something to avoid when wanting to meet new people. I always thought it was weird... my mom would speak as if she had a lot of friends and yet she never meets with them. Being a little bit older now, I realize life really, really gets in the way. It's kinda why I'm trying hard to meet more people and to explore more hobbies... It's hard to break out your shell as in introvert but just give it a try and you might like it.
I definitely feel you on the self consciousness thing. I'm like that about...pretty much everything. Even here, lol. Since my Sophomore year in HS though I've started to get rid of the habit. A little, at least. I usually try and use humor to hide it.

I think I've already come out of my shell for the most part. It started Junior year, and his year I've been a lot more social. I still warm up slowly to people, but at least I don't panic anymore, lol.

Thank you for the advice though! I think the part about impressions is going to be particularly useful, especially since I'm graduating soon and am going out into the world.

The one thing I can't seem to shake though is anxiety. I get it at every Smash tournament and every kind of school event. At this point it's making me mad more than anything.

Last edited:

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
I've heard a lot about Overwatch and just saw it as a game that people will like and people will talk about a lot and I most likely wouldn't play it.
But then I watched a few videos today.
...Mei is the waifu of the game fight me.

Buddhahobo

Smash Lord
Making friends is easy. Maintaining it for the long run is the hard part. People tend to separate naturally especially when you have a family/job to worry about.
Don't get me wrong, I love striking up conversations with total strangers and never bother asking for their name, but actually making friends is typically going to be the people you, for whatever reason, are already spending all your time around. And most of them on my end are, unfortunately, commuters or live in entirely different parts of the city, and every new place I end up moving to is back to square one.

Maintaining is definitely the hard part, yes. I'm probably always going to at least in some fashion regret not getting a text capable phone until after my undergraduates. There are a lot of great, decent people (and downright sobs, sometimes both in one) that I just haven't even had the means to contact in a prohibitively long time.

On a tangent, once had a friend that I'd talk to every day for a year, knew a huge amount of stuff about him and his family, great bloke. Never actually bothered asking for his name until we were both at the airport before study abroad and the teacher was doing roll call and kept calling out the same name to no answer. I assumed, therefore, that that must have been him sleeping in the chair next to me, and kicked him, him none the wiser.

Canada has worse internet and for higher prices than most of the world. Americans should consider themselves lucky.
From what I've heard, Australians would like to have a word with you.

As would the Chinese, for the ones that actually proxi their ways out of their government controlled shadownet.

It's kinda why I'm trying hard to meet more people and to explore more hobbies... It's hard to break out your shell as in introvert but just give it a try and you might like it.
Alternatively, you might find out that when it comes down to it, you pretty much hate everyone.

You don't, though. It's just the bubble talking because everyone you've surrounded (are are surrounded by, like a dorm floor) yourself with suck. Cut your losses and get better friends if that happens.

Overwatch is out there goes my life.
I don't understand the controls.

Which is the "Turn into Squid" button?

Last edited:

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I definitely feel you on the self consciousness thing. I'm like that about...pretty much everything. Even here, lol. Since my Sophomore year in HS though I've started to get rid of the habit. A little, at least. I usually try and use humor to hide it.

I think I've already come out of my shell for the most part. It started Junior year, and his year I've been a lot more social. I still warm up slowly to people, but at least I don't panic anymore, lol.

Thank you for the advice though! I think the part about impressions is going to be particularly useful, especially since I'm graduating soon and am going out into the world.

The one thing I can't seem to shake though is anxiety. I get it at every Smash tournament and every kind of school event. At this point it's making me mad more than anything.
Yeah I'm slowly learning to get over things. Fact is, people really don't give a crap about people they don't know so if they'll get over you in a minute, there's no reason for you to dwell on things. I absolutely hate professional networking x_x

Don't get me wrong, I love striking up conversations with total strangers and never bother asking for their name, but actually making friends is typically going to be the people you, for whatever reason, are already spending all your time around. And most of them on my end are, unfortunately, commuters or live in entirely different parts of the city, and every new place I end up moving to is back to square one.

Maintaining is definitely the hard part, yes. I'm probably always going to at least in some fashion regret not getting a text capable phone until after my undergraduates. There are a lot of great, decent people (and downright sobs, sometimes both in one) that I just haven't even had the means to contact in a prohibitively long time.

On a tangent, once had a friend that I'd talk to every day for a year, knew a huge amount of stuff about him and his family, great bloke. Never actually bothered asking for his name until we were both at the airport before study abroad and the teacher was doing roll call and kept calling out the same name to no answer. I assumed, therefore, that that must have been him, and kicked him, him none the wiser.

From what I've heard, Australians would like to have a word with you.

As would the Chinese, for the ones that actually proxi their ways out of their government controlled shadownet.

Alternatively, you might find out that when it comes down to it, you pretty much hate everyone.

You don't, though. It's just the bubble talking because everyone you've surrounded (are are surrounded by, like a dorm floor) yourself with suck. Cut your losses and get better friends if that happens.

I don't understand the controls.

Which is the "Turn into Squid" button?
ITT: Zelda Psych Session! But yeah, I'm definitely comfortable around strangers and have no problem striking up a conversation. Friendship really is a two way street... 1 way needs to be put into an acquaintance category.

Australian internet really is awful and strangely I have never heard Chinese people complain about the censorship. Personally, I feel like it's actually a minority despite what Western media conveys to us. I'm also under the impression that the Communist government is favoured by a majority of Chinese.

Rizen

Smash Legend
View attachment 107858

I don't think this joke is okay . . . .

:150:
http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/20/health/flint-water-crisis-timeline/
I personally find it difficult to get good friends. I warm up pretty slowly to new people, and it takes even longer for me to start freely talking about myself, and even longer for me to actively try to arrange stuff to do with them.

I've been told by a lot of people that I didn't appear to be very pleasant when they first met me, lol.
I'm like that too.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Considering all the English vocabulary and whatnot the Japanese have adopted into their language and lifestyle, weeaboos really should act more Western. The Japanese actually say "thank you" to thank people.

frest123

Smash Cadet
I think that was referring to a frame synced fair

OMFGGGGG I ACTUALLY NOTICED THIS MYSELF. Didn't know this was an actual thing... What are the limitations/advantages of this?

I'm assuming it doesn't work on shield? Does this apply for all aerial moves?

Last edited:

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
Morning girls. How's everyone doing? :4zelda:

Getting ready for when my TA arrives, so we'll be having a meeting over what my exercises/activities are for this part of the University Module. :V

And I'll be playing through more of Birthright. I managed to capture a Pegasus Knight named Tomoe, and I'm trying to make her one of my strongest units out there. Shame is... her defense is abysmal (She has about 1 point of Defense. :V)

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
You know if there's one thing that makes me not want to do really well in a tournament here is that they take photos of the top 3

I really shouldn't be allowed to pose for pictures, ever. Especially when people try to make me laugh for the camera.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
You know if there's one thing that makes me not want to do really well in a tournament here is that they take photos of the top 3

I really shouldn't be allowed to pose for pictures, ever. Especially when people try to make me laugh for the camera.
oh god i would hate to be in 2nd place salt and be forced to take a smiling picture plus im not that photogenic

LonkQ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ammoro
If you get second place or third, just flash the cash. You still got the dollars, what did they get? A picture of you showing off your reward.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
There's a small entry fee, but we get some prizes for winning. Usually there's amiibo and some other things like the TP HD bundle or the tournament this Saturday which has a 3DS XL as a prize.

I mean technically it's not money but I suppose I could always sell the prizes I get.

Last edited:

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
Huh, tournament prizes are unusual....
Only time I took part in a tournament was an online tournament in Team Fortress 2. It was a EU Only Tournament and had bans on three classes. Team of 6 (So each person had to play one of the six classes that were legal), and the prize was a cosmetic for the game which was only available from submitting a passcode that was only available on a TF2 Podcast.

The team I was on got to the Quarter-Finals before we got destroyed 5-0. Funny thing was the previous games we had were SUPER easy. But then suddenly, we came across this professional team and got wrecked.

Last edited:

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
Aaagh I want to go to a smash bros 4 tournament so bad. I think I'm rdy to lose badly~

Hoping one is hosted around my area soon. I'll use Zelda :zeldamelee::zelda::4zelda:

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
Speaking of tournaments, I have one next Tuesday.
:happysheep:
Almost certain it won't be streamed but I think I'll bring my laptop and try to record it in case there's any good moments. (Not even going to try streaming it because it takes that place's Wi-Fi 5 minutes to load up Google)

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
Speaking of tournaments, I have one next Tuesday.
:happysheep:
Almost certain it won't be streamed but I think I'll bring my laptop and try to record it in case there's any good moments. (Not even going to try streaming it because it takes that place's Wi-Fi 5 minutes to load up Google)
Good luck! And that place's Wi-Fi is the definition of slow :O

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
That sounds...odd. 6v6 class restrictions are normally "1 medic, 1 demo, 2 everything else". What was that tournament banning?
It banned Scout, Soldier and Demo. So each person had to be Pyro, Heavy, Engie, Medic, Sniper and Spy. There were weapon bans too. I just forgot what weapons were banned though, it's been ages since I last took part in a TF2 tournament.

1st Round was pl_barnblitz which my team won (I think it may have been 2-0, I'm not so sure) and I wasn't involved in this round, I was on rotation with another player. 2nd Round was on cp_badlands, where I had a rather good kill on someone trying to backcap us where I got them trying to cap the 2nd to last point while we were charging to last (I was a Medic with the Crusader's Crossbow, we won 5-0). And then Quarter-Finals is where our streak was put to a halt, we ran into a professional team, and we got destroyed 5-0. They just knew what they were doing. So we pretty much lost our chance on getting a limited cosmetic called The Lo-Fi Longwave, the match we lost on was cp_snakewater before it was added to the official TF2 map list.

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
It banned Scout, Soldier and Demo. So each person had to be Pyro, Heavy, Engie, Medic, Sniper and Spy.
Oh.

"Engineer and everyone that can't deal with sentries" doesn't sound like a very fun tournament.

Especially when there isn't a reason for a Pyro to not be around for spychecking and airblasting enemy ubers.

Last edited:

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
Oh.

"Engineer and everyone that can't deal with sentries" doesn't sound like a very fun tournament.

Especially when there isn't a reason for a Pyro to not be around for spychecking and airblasting enemy ubers.
Funny thing was, on cp maps. Most Engineers just went Gunslinger. But on the Payload maps, I can understand why. But if you got a Heavy with a Medic beside him, that can be a dead Sentry if not taken cared of.

What was kinda funny is that during the matches against that pro team, I never even saw their Spy; I was mostly getting decimated by the Heavy Medic combo and sometimes the Engineer and Sniper (The Engineer actually trapped me in a doorway between his Sentry and himself while I got wrecked by the Heavy, that was some good plays there). But I never saw the Spy. :V

Also, now that you mentioned Pyro. I got a funny story to tell.

This happened a couple of days ago on pl_upward, and I was a Pyro using the Phlogistinator set (Phlog, Mannmelter and Homewrecker). And the enemy team had the payload inches away from the 2nd checkpoint, so I jumped down, set them alight and stopped the cart and activated my meter (MMMPH), but I was standing on top of someone; and because they moved while I was taunting, it cancelled the animation, I was running around with invulnerability/uber for 3 seconds and crits for 8 seconds, annihilated the enemy team and scared off a Heavy from the cart. And because of that, we won.

Top Bottom