• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
I for one welcome our new Zelda babies.
Free shots for those who stay using Zelda even after the buff novelty wears off!

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
I for one welcome our new Zelda babies.
Free shots for those who stay using Zelda even after the buff novelty wears off!
Novelty of the buffs wears off when you realize that:

• Already had Finger bang hoo haa. UAir barely KOs earlier despite the damage buff because they nerfed the KBG. Size is nice, but not a ton really changed. So we'll get 2% more damage there. That's pretty much it. UAir still needs to be landed in other non-setup situations for that new damage to matter.
• Ftilt actually gained 1F of raw endlag despite the duration reduction...secretkpop It's because of how they handled the startup buff
• NAir still has endlag all over and likely didn't gain anything from the damage outside of more damage.

Let me be clear before a bunch of people get upset by my "negative" (realistic) message: the damage buffs are hilariously and great, and Ftilt needed to be buffed, they shouldn't be ignored, but too many people are jumping on these changes as our savior way too quick when almost nothing that was a real issue was addressed. Zelda is the same highly flawed character of 1.1.4. Only now some moves do more %.

Jab hilariosity's novelty, however, won't wear off. :secretkpop:

Edit: Also noting that Nayru is omitted from my comments because the intangibility buff is legitimately useful and changes things.

Last edited:

buzzard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BuzzardU

• Already had Finger bang hoo haa. UAir barely KOs earlier despite the damage buff because they nerfed the KBG. Size is nice, but not a ton really changed. So we'll get 2% more damage there. That's pretty much it. UAir still needs to be landed in other non-setup situations for that new damage to matter.
• Ftilt actually gained 1F of raw endlag despite the duration reduction...secretkpop It's because of how they handled the startup buff
• NAir still has endlag all over and likely didn't gain anything from the damage outside of more damage.

Let me be clear before a bunch of people get upset by my "negative" (realistic) message: the damage buffs are hilariously and great, and Ftilt needed to be buffed, they shouldn't be ignored, but too many people are jumping on these changes as our savior way too quick when almost nothing that was a real issue was addressed. Zelda is the same highly flawed character of 1.1.4. Only now some moves do more %.

Edit: Also noting that Nayru is omitted from my comments because the intangibility buff is legitimately useful and changes things.
101% agreed

Noctiluca

Smash Cadet
Hi friends, this is Janet from before; I made a new account so I'm just posting in here for the alerts :dr^_^: can't wait to get back to college so I can try out these nifty buffs! Thank you for being so gud to us new folks - I'll be over here mooching off your hard work until I can contribute :)

paradvx

Smash Rookie
doesn't Nair's increased damage lead to increase in stun which makes it easier to combo (especially into up B)

ketchupprecum

Smash Rookie
NNID
ketchupprecum
Hi!

Longtime lurker but I finally decided to join so I can ask a question or two.
Been playing Zelda since release and I honestly was giving up on her halfway through 1.1.4. but this patch has brought me back. I really enjoy the fear factor this patch has brought. Now all these people are air-dodging at kill %s letting me followup with whatever I want :D

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
doesn't Nair's increased damage lead to increase in stun which makes it easier to combo (especially into up B)
There's some potential situations that need to be tested. Could lead to something, but I think an aerial NAir into NAir string seems less likely to be true.

As for the FF NAir. I don't think that the hitstun changes are actually applicable in the case of weighted KB. (set KB) I could be incorrect. If it were applicable there, I think 0.5% increases on the multihits would only make a negligible difference though.

Last edited:

ketchupprecum

Smash Rookie
NNID
ketchupprecum
There's some potential situations that need to be tested. Could lead to something, but I think an aerial NAir into NAir string seems less likely to be true.

As for the FF NAir. I don't think that the hitstun changes are actually applicable in the case of weighted KB. (set KB) I could be incorrect. If it were applicable there, I think 0.5% increases on the multihits would only make a negligible difference though.
I think I was landing nair to fair/bair much more consistently yesterday. Might be placebo but maybe 3%>5% difference in the last hit leads to just enough hitstun for that followup?

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
I don't think the question is how much difference, but if it gave any difference FF Nair, didn't always connect +1 frame could actually make the difference. Before like frame 5 and sooner would easily connect, so that one extra frame could be the difference. So the question would be, is there an extra frame of hitstun there?

I'd put money on no though

Last edited:

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029

Sis you forgot the Dsmash buff too.

The one you called, remember? :secretkpop::secretkpop:
Yes I know it's not that significant I just wanted a chance to be a *****

Real talk though, we've barely talked about that buff at all. I wonder if it could potentially have a little shield pressure usage now, like Jab>Dsmash on a weakened shield being slightly less risky.

Maybe we could even go back to our Melee Dsmash spam :secretzpop:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Real talk though, we've barely talked about that buff at all.
because it's like the Ftilt buff, nice, but doesn't change anything
I wonder if it could potentially have a little shield pressure usage now, like Jab>Dsmash on a weakened shield being slightly less risky.
Frame 5 move with frame 37 FAF, you're asking for a lot
that was because of crouch cancel

there we talked about it

Last edited:

Virtue

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TripleTriad
3DS FC
3609-1766-6115
Does anyone want to play Smash for Wii U with me?

buzzard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BuzzardU
Sis you forgot the Dsmash buff too.

The one you called, remember? :secretkpop::secretkpop:
Yes I know it's not that significant I just wanted a chance to be a *****

Real talk though, we've barely talked about that buff at all. I wonder if it could potentially have a little shield pressure usage now, like Jab>Dsmash on a weakened shield being slightly less risky.

Jab now has +3 frame advantage against shields. since DTilt and DSmash are frame 5 moves, that means that only frame 2 or faster moves beat them (that would be Mac's and ZSS' jab and Jigglypuffs Rest IIRC) after blocking Zelda's jab.

Philos-kun

Smash Rookie
Hi gorls!
I'm new here. Hope I can enjoy reading about how zeldawful is :secretkpop:. The only reason I've decided to register in this forums was 1, discuss about my mains and 2, I LOVE this social. Been reading like 600 pages of it and been having many lols.

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Hi gorls!
I'm new here. Hope I can enjoy reading about how zeldawful is :secretkpop:. The only reason I've decided to register in this forums was 1, discuss about my mains and 2, I LOVE this social. Been reading like 600 pages of it and been having many lols.
we have fans? You guys have fans?
what

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Wow Furret hunny with the put down of Dsmash.

I think I forgot Dsmash at the time I made the post lol

I only called the FAF 38 because Sakurai usually buffs things by 3F. Especially end lag.

Melee Dsmash had a FAF of 32.

Though any frame data help is an immediate help, (Consistently knocks down advantage numbers vs damage increases which 2% increases only yield 1F better on block.) Dsmash's end lag is still....there.

31F end lag on the front hit, 23F on the back. The back WILL feel a little better on block, but it is the back. It's not as easy to set up. (Still punished on block.) That said I feel like the front is seldom blocked due to its use style (F5 and stuff.)

Though some of the buffs Zelda (and others... AKA Bowser Jr) have gotten open up the field for other less considered endlag buffs like Fsmash/Usmash.

For those of you who didn't know (Or read one of my old statuses) in 1.1.4, Bowser Jr got endlag reduction to all his smashes. All of which were above three frames, (Fsmash FAF 60 -> 56, Dsmash FAF 68 -> 60, and Usmash FAF 62 -> 57) and his Fsmash now has very low end lag for the move. (18 frames, albeit still -11/-3 on block)

Now take note that his end lags for Fsmash/Usmash were already better/on par with Zelda's respectively. Now they are better strictly.

Dsmash is an outlier and his just has trash end lag even after the 8F buff.

Now, his Usmash is no longer stronger than Zelda's (Due to [1.0.8]) but it's only a little weaker. His Fsmash is stronger. Both Bowser Jr's have better hitboxes, but hit 1 and 2F later.

Basically Zelda can and should have FAF buffs on Fsmash and Usmash and I though about it way too much and randomly unloaded it herE.

I'd say FAF buffs

Fsmash 50 -> 47
Usmash 64 -> 59

Are fair. :^)

Edit: buzzard buzzard Jab is only +2 (From +1) on shield now, and only on drop. OoS is -5. (From -6) That said Zelda is safe against many grabs OoS now lol. Only if she dodged immediately and they actually were grabbing is it useful.

11% is still lol

Last edited:

buzzard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BuzzardU
Edit: buzzard buzzard Jab is only +2 (From +1) on shield now, and only on drop. OoS is -5. (From -6) That said Zelda is safe against many grabs OoS now lol. Only if she dodged immediately and they actually were grabbing is it useful.

11% is still lol
According to this it's +3 now (-4 OoS). It was +2 (-5 OoS) in the previous patch. But I don't know if that information is correct or not.

Last edited:

Gay Ginger

Make Smash Bros. Gay Again
Switch FC
3923-4397-1697
Hey gorls, I heard that Zelda got some buffs!

I can't test how she feels because I'm still in France, so can someone summarize for me?

I also got some really great news a couple weeks ago: I got accepted into UMass Amherst's M./Ed School Counselor Education program to become a guidance counselor, so I'll be starting grad school in the fall! I'm pretty excited.

How has everyone else been? Anything of note happen while I was inactive? (related to Smash or in your personal lives - anything you want to share is fine :) )

KlicKlac

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KlicKlac
What do you think was the most significant of zelda's buffs? I believe it to be the Nayru's love buff with the intangibility frames now overlapping with the hitbox frames. I have been playing around against different opponents on for glory, and WOW. Nayru's love now STUFFS so many upB moves. I love jumping offstage and using Nayrus' near the ledge to intercept upB moves. In the past, a lot of moves would just clash or beat out Nayru's love because of the one frame when the intangibility ends.

I have found Nayru's love to be particularly useful in stopping lucario's extreme speed upB. Also marth's upB. I still need to test out as many opponent's upB moves as I can.

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Wow Furret hunny with the put down of Dsmash.
I prob shouldn't rag on it too hard, but I'd never use it for footsies like that
I mostly used it for late % quick punishes, so new FAF doesn't change much for me
Usmash 64 -> 59
I'd rather have a jank hitbox with Usmash honestly, which right now only the last hit is
I have found Nayru's love to be particularly useful in stopping lucario's extreme speed upB
I'm told lucario's recovery is super easy to intercept anyways

I can't test how she feels because I'm still in France, so can someone summarize for me?
from official, note Ftilt might be frame 9, the diffs state it as such
now that I think about it, I should run that by BJN
  • Ftilt:
    • Hitbox Startup: 12F -> 10F
    • Total Frames: 39F -> 37F
    • Hitbox Z Position: 3 -> 3.5
ftilt is faster, reaches slighter farther
  • Jab:
    • First & Second Hit Damage: 2.5 -> 3
    • Final Hit Damage: 3 -> 5
    • Final Hit KBG: 130 -> 95
    • Final Hit BKB: 35 -> 40
Jab deals more damage, slightly more base knock back
  • Dsmash Total Frames: 40 -> 37
Dsmash less endlag
  • Nair:
    • Multihit damage 2/1 -> 2.5/1.5
    • 5th Hit Damage: 3 -> 5
    • 5th Hit KBG 160/160/140/140 -> 130/130/110/110
Nair does more damage
  • Uair:
    • Damage: 15 -> 17
    • KBG: 90 -> 84
    • Hitbox Size: 7 -> 8
Uair does more damage, and is easier to land
  • All Grabs: Increased horizontal range\
^
  • Nayru's Love Intangibility: 5-12F -> 5-15F
Naryu's will no longer trade with moves

Last edited:

Lord Renning

Smash Journeyman
What do you think was the most significant of zelda's buffs? I believe it to be the Nayru's love buff with the intangibility frames now overlapping with the hitbox frames. I have been playing around against different opponents on for glory, and WOW. Nayru's love now STUFFS so many upB moves. I love jumping offstage and using Nayrus' near the ledge to intercept upB moves. In the past, a lot of moves would just clash or beat out Nayru's love because of the one frame when the intangibility ends.

I have found Nayru's love to be particularly useful in stopping lucario's extreme speed upB. Also marth's upB. I still need to test out as many opponent's upB moves as I can.
The best thing for us is that you can protect from Bayo's smashes on reaction, and still have enough frames to counter. I'll upload a video. Hold up.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Have you ever had a really stale poppyseed muffin? Now that muffin has butter smeared on top ;)

Congrats on the grad school stuff :)

Virtue

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TripleTriad
3DS FC
3609-1766-6115
Gg's Lil Puddin Lil Puddin ! I'm really rusty since I haven't played consistently in months. Thanks for playing against me.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
quesTion

did you calculate with FAF instead of total frames?
I believe I calculated with total frames *head scratch* my guess was something to do with only using a simple equation.

((floor(damage/1.72 + 2)) + hitframe) - (FAF - 1)

5/1.72 + 2 = ~4.9 >> 4 floor

(4 + 15) - (24 - 1) = -4

Eaux.

I literally have no idea how I got the wrong number the other time.

Maybe I'll go check my other things anyways.

McKnightlíght

Getting back into the dunk game
NNID
EvanMcKnight
3DS FC
4399-0018-3572
Getting ready to play my first game at this tourney, I will represent the BAN•ZELDA tag!

Top Bottom