• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
How to Make an Avatar Like a Pro
  1. Google search Mewtwo and pull up Images, and find a cool mewtwo picture:
  2. Edit on some gold chainz like so:
    shadow_mewtwo_by_iqbalputra-d9fh9ls.png
  3. Laugh to yourself, because you just made a hilarious pun
  4. Cry to yourself as you realize no one else thinks it is hilarious
  5. Profit
:150:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
  5. Profit
6. Don't actually profit because you had to buy gold chainz

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
How to have an awesome avatar like Spritzee:
  • LITS DANS, BOIZ!1
  • PRYCELEZ!1
  • *judging intensifies*
  • BEAUTY

Rizen

Smash Legend
  5. Profit
The 90s called, they want their bling back.

Noctiluca

Smash Cadet
How important are avatars in the smashboards community at large? Will I not be taken seriously?? Is my avatar total ****??? Help the no0b

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533
How important are avatars in the smashboards community at large? Will I not be taken seriously?? Is my avatar total ****??? Help the no0b
It does kinda help how popular you are in these parts, especially if it's memetic

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
I like how Phil's youtube channel is a result if you reverse-search Rizen's avatar

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Patch 1.1.4 ghetto video dump part 1

Lord Renning

Smash Journeyman
this is so fab! Do you need to read the smash in order to input in time, or is there time to see Madama's limb coming for you?
It's on reaction, so just see the limb ripping and let it rip.

Bayonetta's Hitbox Frame Data:
Fsmash 19-21
Usmash (Early) 18-19
Usmash 20-21
Usmash (Late) 22-23
Dsmash (Hit 1) 20-21
Dsmash (Hit 2) 25
Dsmash (Hit 2, Late) 26-27

Nayru's love takes 5 frames to activate invincibility, and from there we get 10 frames of invulnerability. It's very easy to overlap the 10 frames with the 2 frames the hitbox is active in your spot. From there we have about half a second to punish.

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
my avatar process:
  1. open folder with furret art
  2. try one as avatar
  3. didn't turn out the way you want to
  4. go to step 1
this is so fab! Do you need to read the smash in order to input in time, or is there time to see Madama's limb coming for you?
bayo's smashes are pretty slow i imagine you can do it on reaction, there's not many active frames on them either shouldn't be too hard to do and are pretty laggy at the end, I'd prefer to get out of the way though (if you could), you wont get a punish with Naryu's slow FAF

Last edited:

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
Bayonetta should really only be using smashes after she Witch Times you, so I don't really think that'll ever be relevant in the MU.

FG is not something you should base MU knowledge on.

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Bayonetta should really only be using smashes after she Witch Times you
it might work if you get hit by witch time though, although i have no clue what frame 5 turns into against witch time

Last edited:

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
it might work if you get hit by witch time though, although i have no clue what frame 5 turns into against witch time
Even then, all Bayo would have to do is hit Zelda with literally any move and then use a smash attack. That's what Bayonetta mains should be doing anyway because it eliminates the chance of her smash attacks clanking.

Like, it's cool that you can use Nayru's to avoid Bayo's smashes, but I can't see it ever becoming relevant outside of FG/Wi-Fi.

Noctiluca

Smash Cadet
I can see getting out of the way being a better option, but will keep in mind if I feel like styling on new Bayo players who overuse her smashes

are you saying to use Nayru's after getting hit by Witch Time? Or to use Nayru's to block Witch Time's effects??

EDIT: Potentially dumb question was in fact dumb, I get it now though

Last edited:

Lord Renning

Smash Journeyman
Bayonetta should really only be using smashes after she Witch Times you, so I don't really think that'll ever be relevant in the MU.

FG is not something you should base MU knowledge on.
I'm intending this to be a compilation and exploration of Nayru's tidbits (and Smash 4 hilarity). Not a guide to the Zelda Bayonetta MU, or any other one.

What would be interesting is if we could use it to get out of her confirmed combos and combo starters (not the ones you can DI down and away from prevalent on Reddit), and if Nayru's is safe on Witch Time (if we're frozen during invulnerability, she wastes a strong Witch Time.) Farora's Wind is also a good recovery that's difficult to edge guard, and our kill power and rage potential is good for her, but that sort of testing needs a skilled Zelda player and a skilled Bayonetta in person.

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
are you saying to use Nayru's after getting hit by Witch Time? Or to use Nayru's to block Witch Time's effects??
after getting hit, if you could get nayru's out, I bet the intan frames would be increased and hit boxes would stop the punish, but frame 5 would be much longer in witch time
Even then, all Bayo would have to do is hit Zelda with literally any move and then use a smash attack.
what is this smash 64 reply, "just hit them." OH WELL I JUST WONT GET HIT THEN, HA
and because I found this funny the first time
What would be interesting is if we could use it to get out of her confirmed combos and combo starters (not the ones you can DI down and away from prevalent on Reddit), and if Nayru's is safe on Witch Time (if we're frozen during invulnerability, she wastes a strong Witch Time.) Farora's Wind is also a good recovery that's difficult to edge guard, and our kill power and rage potential is good for her, but that sort of testing needs a skilled Zelda player and a skilled Bayonetta in person.
she'd just have to wait, then punish. if zelda nayru's witch time
there's a difference to both situations, such as getting a nayru's out during witch time because you can't really react to that vs.
Nayru's the witch time activation, which lets both players know what happened, it would be an easy punish to react to

Nayru's really is not the best tool for neutral, and should be used sparingly or on younger cousins
doesn't do much for opponents that know how to space as well

/Lucina

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Katsie
I always use Zelda and never touch Sheik. I still miss her Brawl UpSmash, which frustrated my friend to no end...

These buffs are highly welcome though. I really like using Nayru's Love, so the buff it received is highly appreciated.

I try to represent my girl Zelda as much as possible (when I'm not using the other girl, you know the one)

:shades:

frest123

Smash Cadet
Novelty of the buffs wears off when you realize that:

• Already had Finger bang hoo haa. UAir barely KOs earlier despite the damage buff because they nerfed the KBG. Size is nice, but not a ton really changed. So we'll get 2% more damage there. That's pretty much it. UAir still needs to be landed in other non-setup situations for that new damage to matter.
• Ftilt actually gained 1F of raw endlag despite the duration reduction...secretkpop It's because of how they handled the startup buff
• NAir still has endlag all over and likely didn't gain anything from the damage outside of more damage.

Let me be clear before a bunch of people get upset by my "negative" (realistic) message: the damage buffs are hilariously and great, and Ftilt needed to be buffed, they shouldn't be ignored, but too many people are jumping on these changes as our savior way too quick when almost nothing that was a real issue was addressed. Zelda is the same highly flawed character of 1.1.4. Only now some moves do more %.

Jab hilariosity's novelty, however, won't wear off. :secretkpop:

Edit: Also noting that Nayru is omitted from my comments because the intangibility buff is legitimately useful and changes things.
What about grab? That doesn't change anything?

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
What about grab? That doesn't change anything?
Okay you got me there. A full unit for her grabs is nothing to scoff about.

I would still argue they didn't hit another more important point: her grabs have 3-4 frames more endlag than any other grab of similar caliber or pretty much any non-tether bar Robin. (rip robin) their end lags were jumped up by like, 8 frames on each grab coming SSB4. Put that with the fact (that at least in 1.1.4) Zelda really didn't have any other qualities in her grabs to warrant silly end lag. Now she has one more unit of range at least. It makes me worried, however, that now there's no chance of endlag buffs because "she has a quality warranting crappy endlag" when she just does.

Tbh I missed a couple things that were good changes for Zelda in my initial post, but the point of that post was that Zelda still isn't much different than the struggling-to-be-viable princess we knew in 1.1.4, and people need to slow down and take careful examination of what we got, [THIS PATCH. Looking at you hoo-haa train hoppers] how much it works, and how it works to make Zelda better.

I'm gonna finish this post with a little info for you newer Zeldas out there:

Pivot grab got a range buff in 1.1.5 by changing the outer hitbox placement from -15.7 to -16.7,

but before 1.0.4, the range on her pivot grab was -18.7. We're just recovering ground here girls.

Last edited:

McKnightlíght

Getting back into the dunk game
NNID
EvanMcKnight
3DS FC
4399-0018-3572
Alright full detail of my tourney time!

So I got 9th out of 16. Not great but it went better than expected considering I never go to tournaments and am terrible.

The first match was against a Meta Knight. He was really good, he just comboed Ike for days and the first game he absolutely tr4shed me. Then game 2 he gimped me when I had 13% I was sure that it was over and I could say hello to loser's bracket. But then I actually made the full comeback and won the match! Game 3 was really even and I barely won it by countering the Meta Knight with all of my rage when he tried to UpB recover. RIP.

So yeah, I felt pretty good. I had to play someone immediately after and he was a friend of the guy I just beat. He kind of said off to the side that that was probably the biggest upset because that Meta Knight is usually a top contender.

So Match 2. Ike dittos. He suggested a gentlemen's clause where we couldn't counter the UpB recovery, I agreed, because that can ruin a good match. I was able to beat him on stage and rack up damage but he could edgeguard be so much better than I he. So he won 2 close games.

Then I played a Link and Link is BS shut up Link and I killed with Eruption once but that was still not a good enough end for Link, man I hate Link eww.

Then after the tourney I beat the champion (a Ness main) who used his secondary Lucas with Zelda because he saw the purple for Phantom and thought it was Din's Fire and tried to absorb it. So yeah I basically won the tourney BAN•ZELDA

McKnightlíght

Getting back into the dunk game
NNID
EvanMcKnight
3DS FC
4399-0018-3572
That reminds me, I was playing against the tourney champ and I whipped out Zelda and relayed to him that she got buffs and the first thing he said was "Oh I heard she got a new hoo-hah!" I was like...... "She's had that for a while, it's not really much better."

Then I spammed Nayru's and we learned that the Nayru's vortex isn't possible anymore and that may be why we got the buffs?

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Novelty of the buffs wears off when you realize that:

• Already had Finger bang hoo haa. UAir barely KOs earlier despite the damage buff because they nerfed the KBG. Size is nice, but not a ton really changed. So we'll get 2% more damage there. That's pretty much it. UAir still needs to be landed in other non-setup situations for that new damage to matter.
Are you sure they couldn't just jump out before Uair hit if they DI'd out? I'm pretty sure they could before the patch but cannot now anymore, they have to airdodge now. Anyway, the increased hitbox makes it quite some easier to hit her Uair setups which is a very good change to me. I wish her Dthrow was harder to DI so I didn't have read both their DI and their escape option, it's incredibly hard ._. Gonna play with it some more though, since I secondary Zelda again. She's still trash but less trash so I'll take it :3.

Not really feeling the Ftilt and Dsmash buffs. Are you sure we got one frame extra lag now? Iirc they cut two frames of start-up and two frames of total duration.

Also Nayru's actually beating stuff is so nice now! Im spamming it way too much XD

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
Then I spammed Nayru's and we learned that the Nayru's vortex isn't possible anymore and that may be why we got the buffs?
WHAT

NOOOO.

That was seriously my favorite thing to do on For Fun and now it's gone...
It was also one of the only things that made Zelda dittos livable cri

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
Oh crap, Naryu's vortex was the best.
Kirby and Zelda were buds and now that's gone =(

Also gorls, we know Zelda isn't suddenly good with just these buffs.
But you can't pretend these aren't significant buffs.

Ftilt became usable. Jab is beauty. Nayru's wins instead of trading badly. Uair has a hitbox. Grab is one of the biggest non-tethers. Pivots and perfect pivot grabs are huge again, if not as huge as the thing that almost made Zelda a grappler. Sheik was nerfed.

This was a great patch.

Last edited:

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
what is this smash 64 reply, "just hit them." OH WELL I JUST WONT GET HIT THEN, HA
There's no reason for you to be so obtuse. I meant hit the opponent after Bayo Witch Times them and then use a smash attack. Hitstun lasts forever during Witch Time, so good luck using Nayru's.

Top Bottom