• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

RedCap-BlueSpikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedCapBlueSpikes
that gif is a nail in the coffin for me, powerful exploit meta is only loved by those who main bad characters in the non powerful exploit meta. smh Sakurai did say customs(and equipment) is like 'cheating' so he didn't put it on FG.

I wonder why lol.
If we were to do something like tweak characters' customized special moves, then there'd be no end to it. But with that said, if there are any glaring issues, we may address them.
Although, I highly doubt custom moves are going to stay legal after EVO even if they DO patch some of them. A lot of the top players dislike/hate them and more people are starting to go anti-customs and... sigh.

Lately, I've been wondering: should I even bother? It sucks for me because it's obvious that they designed Palutena (and the Miis) around these things and I don't really enjoy playing as any other character besides her with customs off so I'm kinda stuck. I don't think she's trash without them (I believe I have good reasons for that), but she's so much better and so much more fun to play with them that I really don't wanna be forced to settle for default.

When I asked Seagull Joe about this a couple weeks ago he told me pro-customs people should host their own tournaments and that not all TOs will ban custom moves. However, I don't think that will pan out. If customs are banned wide-spread, why would anyone go to a custom tournament? I mean, I'm doubtful any major tournaments would allow them so there'd be no real point as you'd never be able to win anything that actually matters with them. I suppose people could try breaking off Custom Smash 4 from Vanilla Smash 4 and basically turn them into two separate games. That sounds like an awful idea though and I don't see that ending well.

I dunno... Let me know if I have a bad mentality or if I'm worried for nothing or something. I don't wanna quit but I'm not sure how long I'll continue to play with customs off. I'll enjoy the custom craze while it lasts but it's gonna be super discouraging when/if it ends.

Sigh, I just want to feel comfortable maining Palutena... ;_;

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
When I asked Seagull Joe about this a couple weeks ago he told me pro-customs people should host their own tournaments and that not all TOs will ban custom moves. However, I don't think that will pan out. If customs are banned wide-spread, why would anyone go to a custom tournament? I mean, I'm doubtful any major tournaments would allow them so there'd be no real point as you'd never be able to win anything that actually matters with them. I suppose people could try breaking off Custom Smash 4 from Vanilla Smash 4 and basically turn them into two separate games. That sounds like an awful idea though and I don't see that ending well.
The Brawl tourneys I've been to had several side events including SSB64, P:M and Melee doubles and singles. I want customs to not be the standard rule and think custom legal side tourneys will happen.

McKnightlíght

Getting back into the dunk game
NNID
EvanMcKnight
3DS FC
4399-0018-3572
I just can't with all of these Shaq avatars. See you tomorrow Smash Boards.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Oh hey, more and more Shaq things are popping up. Now the characters you play under the avi are Shaq :yeahboi:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
My thoughts on customs atm

+ More character viability
+ BS ceiling isn't increased (i.e. 1111 Diddy is still top; nothing introduced by customs surpasses this)
+ Above two factors combined mean more balance overall
+ :4palutena:
+ Customs matches tend to be faster-paced with kills happening at lower percents; not necessarily a plus to me, but it's a plus to spectators

- Even if character viability is increased, in some cases (see: Kong Cyclone) it's only because the character receives one really good move that's worth using in the majority of situations
- Some things (see: Timber Counter + EBT) promote degenerate gameplay and are unfun to play against
- With the way customs are currently being run, they're kind of a mess for national-scale tournaments to handle.

RedCap-BlueSpikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedCapBlueSpikes
The Brawl tourneys I've been to had several side events including SSB64, P:M and Melee doubles and singles. I want customs to not be the standard rule and think custom legal side tourneys will happen.
I suppose. It's dissappointing that, in the end, that's probably what we'll have to settle for, but oh well. It's better than nothing I guess. Still not very motivating/encouraging though.

Last edited:

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Shaqda will overcome Shaqkurai.

I mean Shaqda even hairflips just as much hair as Zelda.

That Mario giving Luigi the older brother beatdown.

It's funny how awful Luigi looks if he can't land grabs.
He sucks against anyone with good range or good keep away ability. It's weird though that people have a high opinion of him despite this. Myself included btw

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
:4luigi: has heavyweight-level reward alongside the best frame data in the game + a good projectile, and the best dthrow in the game

It's pretty hard to not have a high opinion of that.

:4luigi: has heavyweight-level reward alongside the best frame data in the game + a good projectile, and the best dthrow in the game

It's pretty hard to not have a high opinion of that.
Yeah, but if you're good enough at keeping away/zoning, you won't have to worry much about that. THEN AGAIN, you can't keep him out forever.

D

Deleted member

I'm over here thinking you gorls went on a raid without me. Then I looked at the home page...

I dunno, I don't even wanna trade hits with the guy when he's doing double digit%s off frame 3~6 moves

I mean his bair does as much damage as dedede's sweetspot usmash
For all the frame data and godlike CQC abilities the guy has, his mobility blows. And his traction sucks. This is probably why Villager is a nightmare for him

I'm actually having a normal discussion with all the Shaqs around me. Lol

Last edited:

Blossom ✿

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1923-2750-8413
So, I decided to take a look at the home page... wat.
This is, something else to say the least. Literally just woke up to the sight of Shaq avis everywhere.
Well, if there was anything that was going to get me up this is it LOL
Anyway, uh, how are all of you doing?

Blossom ✿

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1923-2750-8413
This whole day is going to be weird by what I can tell with all the Shaq avis and what not, haha. :yeahboi:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
It's Friday was the thing for 2011 I think, they did nothing for 2012 and 2013 while 2014 was just Slowpoke on april 2nd.
I remember the Friday change cause I got warned for enjoying the day with others.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
- Some things (see: Timber Counter + EBT) promote degenerate gameplay and are unfun to play against
- With the way customs are currently being run, they're kind of a mess for national-scale tournaments to handle.
For me this is the only problem customs present. As it stands, customs are a huge pain in the ass to unlock and it is not likely everybody will have all of the customs unlocked on their Wii U's. If customs were available from the start everything would have been so much easier...

It's Friday was the thing for 2011 I think, they did nothing for 2012 and 2013 while 2014 was just Slowpoke on april 2nd.
I remember the Friday change cause I got warned for enjoying the day with others.

looooool I remember this too XD "The black plague" lolololol

Last edited:

Tilk

Smash Ace
NNID
Mrs.Tilk
3DS FC
0104-1633-6707
@ Tilk Tilk did I just fight you on Roll Glory this morning? It was on the 3ds and your name was being used as the tag. I was that blue Zorldo.
You're Asher eh? Yup. That would be me. I was derping around. XD

Edit: Added you on 3DS.

Last edited:

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
What's the best way to learn shaq jump alone. I think the intangibility frame of réjection could help avoiding strings.

SBphiloz4

Gatekeeper of the Shadows
NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
Hello everyone, happy Waifu Wednesd--

... Wait, where is my waifu avatar!?

*GASP* S-She's gone! Where did she go? W-waifuuuu--

But who's replacing her then-- o-oh.

... S-S-S-Shaq-Senpai-- o////o:mad088:

Top Bottom