• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
even though you're all technically the Zelda boards, you'll identify as Ganons so we can just invade.
Why just Zelda? I hope that one day, all the people who main characters who aren't Ganon see the light (or lack thereof) and become Ganon mains so we can have an entire metagame dedicated to glorious Ganondorf dittos.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Why just Zelda? I hope that one day, all the people who main characters who aren't Ganon see the light (or lack thereof) and become Ganon mains so we can have an entire metagame dedicated to glorious Ganondorf dittos.
Meh, Villager dittos are better

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
First four FG players of the day, horrible lagfests that make me question if it's my net

Then I get a lagless DK who is probably tourney level and destroys me first game. I make a comeback game 2 and he starts playing around with other characters - when he was playing Sonic I think he noticed me perfect pivoting, because he started doing it on the other side of the stage and we just had a pivot dance for a little while (first time something like that's happened to me on FG in nearly 2500 matches lol). Would've played him longer if I wasn't really hungry...

I've been running into more and more good players on FG lately though. Not sure what to make of that.

Wow, that's actually a really, really good idea. I would have waaay too much fun with this. Smash 5 maybe? No? Ok...

Oh, I see now. It makes a ton more sense now. Thanks for the data, based Lavani!

I've been meaning to tell you this for a while, but every time I see your name it makes me think of
No problem! Als-

Time to get premium and change my name. :177:

Ganondorf is awesome.

But you don't want to see me try to play Ganondorf.

Soul.

The best part of Ditto matches is when you play Mario Kart 7/8 and use Metal Mario + B-Dasher + Red Monster and Morton/Bowser/Wario + Pipe Frame + Slick respectively.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
How about doubles Pacager dittos
If you like four gigantic 26% hitboxes flying everywhere all game with red trampolines trumping your every move.
In other words, Armageddon.

Sounds amazing :chuckle:
For Glory will never let me forget.
Laggy samus players hurt my soul. I wonder if they think they're good at the game or something.
"Side B and charge shot is all I need to be MLG!!"

Last edited:

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
@Macchiato

Not sure what the first cancel in this gif can be used for...the second one gets cut off but it cancels off the platform. You have to hold down to do it and doing it while running off of a platform makes you go farther and SD so...also situational.

Pretty much just like the teleport cancel off of the top Battlefield platform

Like the side platform on Battlefield. You can do it on any of the layouts that have platforms on the side

YAY MORE LEDGE OPTIONS. Also like the Battlefield side platforms

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
Losing to someone worse than you is bad enough
Losing a ditto to someone worse than you is just...
When the person you just lost to talks ****, then you just want to hit something

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Little check on Jab canceling, so this is a quick look and nothing in depth.

Damn it, Mario! Stop pushing people forward with your Jab! So far, it might be okay for Down Smash, Dtilt, Ftilt, and Super Jump Punch since it freaking moves people forward making it difficult to grab, repeat Jab, or Utilt. Same goes for Dr. Mario except worse since he has more knockback...

And yeah, Toon Link can Jab cancel too which makes sense since he's toon Link... Y'know, a toon version of Link? As for Little Mac, Jab 1's delay is longer than Jab 2; Jab 2 to Dtilt is pretty wicked since Dtilt hit confirms into Rising Uppercut and KO Punch, Jab 2 can go into Rising Uppercut too... hehe. And yeah, he can grab out of Jab 2 while Ftilt and Utilt might miss, especially Ftilt which could be used to catch someone if they get out of his Gentleman.

Bowser's Jab 1 has knockback and I don't think he can do much aside from Jab 1 to Ftilt and maybe Dash Slam. I'm not sure...

Bowser Jr.'s Jab 1 has less delay to act into other moves than Jab 2, but Jab 2 can be delayed into Jab 1 and Jab 2 again. He can Jab 1 or Jab 2 into tilts and Smashes which I forgot to mention...

Diddy... uh... I think Diddy can Jab lock Captain Falcon with Jab 1 and Jab 2 which can repeat into itself fairly well. Acting into anything else has a longer delay for some reason. I also checked Mario and he can sort of do Jab lock Mario... For those that hate people, please test this. :p

The Pits can Jab 1 to grab while Jab 2 might need them to run towards to grab. Jab 1 to Ftilt is fairly fast and Jab 2 to Dtilt seems to be faster than out of Jab 1, but I'm not sure.

I'm not getting much success with Robin other than repeating Jab 2 back to Jab 1 and Jab 2. Meta Knight... Meta Knight can repeat Ftilt 1 or Ftilt 2 to Ftilt 1 and 2 and he can Ftilt 1 or Ftilt 2 to Dtilt, Utilt, Up and Down Smashes, and grab. Not that useful, especially with Ftilt 1 into grab since the hit stun isn't great and the delay's noticeable unless I'm doing something wrong.

Cool, Pac-Man can Jab 1 or Jab 2 to tilts or back to Jab 1 easily while Smashes and grab are slower. He can Jab 1 or Jab 2 to Hydrant, Trampoline, and Bonus Fruit, it's kind of funny with Hydrant since he just punches and slaps a fire hydrant down. Oh, and Jab cancel to taunts will be the new metagame. :p

As expected, Shulk can Jab 1 to Jab 1 or Jab 2 to Jab 1 again like Ike. He can Jab 1 to grab, but the knockback might be much along with the delay, but Jab 1 to Dtilt is nifty compared to his other tilts and Smashes. Jab 1 and Jab 2 can go into Air Slash, but Jab 1 seems to lead into it a bit faster.

Repeating Wii Fit Trainer's Jab 1 is hilarious since she just sticks out her arm and leg repeatedly. She can repeat Jab 1 and 2 fairly well and grabbing be an issue because of her range. Tilts are fine except for Utilt because it's more of a vertical hit rather than a horizontal one; Ftilt might be a good choice since it's fast and has decent range compared to the other tilts, sure, Dtilt has more range, but it's slower. That said, there feels like more delay for them compare to repeating her Jab.

Not exactly fast, but Villager's Jab 1 or 2 can go into tilts and Smashes, but be careful about Utilt , Up and Side Smash. Villager can also Jab 1 or 2 to Axe, Pocket which I guess Villager can hit confirm into a Pocket throw... thing... and Lloid Rocket which is kind of hilarious since Villager slaps a Lloid Rocket in front of him after punching. Grabbing might not be a good idea since it's slow. It makes sense for Villager to be able to Jab into things since Villager's Jab is basically controllable Rapid Jab unlike Meta Knight's. Let's see how Villager can get more broken. :p Seriously, Villager can Jab to Down Smash. Think about that or hit confirm into Axe.

My boy Ness can Jab 1 and Jab 2 to tilts except for Utilt, Smashes, and grab. He can repeat it too and it feels a bit like using Fox's Jab cancel, reset, lock... thing. Look, he's basically capable of pulling the stuff Luigi can too. Seriously, this kid's grab game... FAAAAAALCO! MOVE YOUR ARMS FASTER! IT'S JAB AND GRAB, IDIOT!

ROB can Jab 1 to stuff too like grab, tilts, Smashes, Gyro, Robo Beam, etc. but the way Mario's landing... Yeah, it might be a bit dangerous if Mario can act of out it.

Huh, I didn't know Duck Hunt had a Gentleman Jab. Yeah, same dealio, Duck Hunt can Jab 1 or 2 into tilts and grab while Smashes are too slow. As for Specials, Duck Hunt can throw Can out which I don't recommend since it might cause Duck Hunt to SD while Clay is slow.

Jigglypuff does the same thing as Kirby, especially with grabbing. Utilt won't hit while Side Smash and Dtilt are a bit slow, so go for Ftilt and maybe Up and Down Smash. Don't bother with Specials, especially Rest. Jigglypuff can repeat Jab as well.

Charizard can Jab repeat Jab 1 and 2, grab out of either of them, use any tilt, but Utilt, Smash, and use Specials, especially Rock Smash and Fly which is iffy since if Charizard knocks the opponent too far, it'll whiff.

Mr. Game & Watch basically pulls of the same thing as Palutena. Jab 1 to anything. So, GimR wannabes, Jab 1 to D-throw and Judge. Just beware that outside from grab and tilts, his Smashes are slower for this purpose while Chef, Judge, Bucket - why would you do this? -, Oil Panic - hit confirm possibly? -, and Fire/Parachute all work.

Lucina and Marth's Jab 1 to anything is slow and the knockback might be much. Dolphin Slash works, though and Dtilt sort of works... Grabbing probably won't because of the knockback and it looks like they have to set their swords before they can do anything other than Jab 2.

Olimar I don't think can do much from Jab. I checked Peach and I don't think she can do much since it's a bit long between actions. Same with Wario. Why is Lucario's Jab like that? Jaysus it's weird; the delay between a free action into say, tilts and grabs are way too long... As for Pikachu, probably not worth it since Pikachu's Jab is weak. Mega Man's Jab being "non-traditional" makes it difficult to do much aside from Jab to Ftilt which might as well be the same move as Jab or Dtilt. Also since there's knockback if Mega Man's close with his Jab - the setting down of his arm is considered a hit, right? - already makes it so he can do much but Jab or move away.

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
About the palette stuff a few pages ago... Am I the only one who thinks palettes are outdated? In games like Tekken and Soul Calibur you have a mode dedicated to customization where you can not only create whatever color you like but you can create an entire new costume for you character. In Smash there are almost no costumes except for only a few characters (Shulk, ZSS, Wario, Olimar, Mac). Why isn't there a mode where you can edit at least the color of the clothes (and preferably also hair color)?
*looks at my main*
Lots of options for him, yep.

Kind of, I guess? I'm not familiar with other fighters but I assume they have similar hurtbox programming, so the customizations couldn't really go past that I figure. I'm just glad that each character now has the same number of palettes (Little Mac excepted) where in Brawl you had some with 4 and some with 400. And really, I'm pretty pleased with the palettes in this game, giving characters some neat shoutouts like Dark/Light Suit and Dark Samus, Skyloft and Fierce Deity Link, Virtual Boy Rob, the various character references in Shulk, Palutena, and Lucina's palettes, and the Chaos Emerald colors for Sonic, although character references like him would be better (I think his rings reference the CEs? @Sonic Storm confirm). Mega Man's colors are also some pretty legit shoutouts.

@ Ffamran Ffamran I'd usually go for jab 1 > d-tilt. D-tilt sets up nicely for a grab if you're in buster or speed (speed only works at low %'s). Jab 1 > Grab with speed art is really good though (Doable with buster also)

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
meh, Ridley being in just asking for speculation to be en garde for salt.
I'm sorry I'm not sorry; Ridley has always been a heated topic.
I don't care for Ridley at all. I have never played the Metroid games nor did I know of his existence before the Smash games. I just think Sakurai's logic is lol. It surprised how such a good game designer can be so stupid at times. Just like when he said that "making the game balanced would be good for the competitive aspect of the game but it would destroy the fun". lol wut u kidding me Sakurai??

I hope everyone becomes a Zelda main so we can all do dittos and say "how the f*ck do I even function in this matchup"
LOL this very accruately describes the Zelda mirror. It's like

"ok I'm just gonna stand or dash dance or jump around while you approach me"
"hahaha nooo you come approach me!"
"nooo nooo you approach me!"
"NO you approach me!"
"NO YOU APPROACH ME NOW"
"OK THAT'S IT I'M GOING TO DOWN TAUNT YOU"
"OOOOH NO YOU DIDN'T...!!"

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
oh speaking of jab stuff

I got dtilt>jab1>dtilted by that dk

dk's dtilt is so fast and huge wtf

Soul.

I don't care for Ridley at all. I have never played the Metroid games nor did I know of his existence before the Smash games. I just think Sakurai's logic is lol. It surprised how such a good game designer can be so stupid at times. Just like when he said that "making the game balanced would be good for the competitive aspect of the game but it would destroy the fun". lol wut u kidding me Sakurai??

LOL this very accruately describes the Zelda mirror. It's like

"ok I'm just gonna stand or dash dance or jump around while you approach me"
"hahaha nooo you come approach me!"
"nooo nooo you approach me!"
"NO you approach me!"
"NO YOU APPROACH ME NOW"
"OK THAT'S IT I'M GOING TO DOWN TAUNT YOU"
"OOOOH NO YOU DIDN'T...!!"
You say Sakurai's logic is lol and here I am, thinking about the questionable choices Game Freak has made in Gen 6.

Sometimes it's hard not to
Especially when you lose because of silly stuff, and multiple people decide to rub it in
I'm WAY worse in For Glory than I am when I play at locals. That lag really kills ya.

Also, people are *****. Just ignore them. Local tournaments are the exact opposite of For Glory. All of (or most of) the players are friendly, no lag which means less fraudulent BS, and it's an experience because you're playing in front of people.

So yeah, don't make it hard for yourself. It's easy dude :)

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Of the Jabs, Toon Link which everyone should have known because Link exists, Wii Fit Trainer, Pac-Man, Charizard, Ness - DAMN IT -, and Mr. Game & Watch's impresses me since they can do some nifty things out of theirs like WFT can just repeat it over and over, Mr. G&W considering he and Palutena have similar Jabs can pull of janky grab combos, and Pac-Man's close combat game just became better. Little Mac's all right, but nothing special since it's like adding extra damage.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Of the Jabs, Toon Link which everyone should have known because Link exists, Wii Fit Trainer, Pac-Man, Charizard, Ness - DAMN IT -, and Mr. Game & Watch's impresses me since they can do some nifty things out of theirs like WFT can just repeat it over and over, Mr. G&W considering he and Palutena have similar Jabs can pull of janky grab combos, and Pac-Man's close combat game just became better. Little Mac's all right, but nothing special since it's like adding extra damage.
So Pac-Man's does work!! :love:
My testing must have been off lol

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Bowser's Jab 1 has knockback and I don't think he can do much aside from Jab 1 to Ftilt and maybe Dash Slam. I'm not sure... Bowser Jr.'s Jab 1 has less delay to act into other moves than Jab 2, but Jab 2 can be delayed into Jab 1 and Jab 2 again.

ROB can Jab 1 to stuff too like grab, tilts, Smashes, Gyro, Robo Beam, etc. but the way Mario's landing... Yeah, it might be a bit dangerous if Mario can act of out it.

Jigglypuff does the same thing as Kirby, especially with grabbing. Utilt won't hit while Side Smash and Dtilt are a bit slow, so go for Ftilt and maybe Up and Down Smash. Don't bother with Specials, especially Rest. Jigglypuff can repeat Jab as well.
iirc Bowser mains say Bowser has something like +7 frame advantage with jab1 on hit. Not sure if it translates to anything for him offensively but if accurate is pretty significant.

Bowser Jr's jab1 might string into usmash on grass, I haven't messed with it a whole lot (I know it can connect, but when I toyed with it before it seemed like it'd be really easy to shield with how far he had to run for it)

ROB's jab cancels are pretty legit, I actually forgot about him but I did test him awhile back. jab1>usmash true combos at specific percents on fastfallers.

Jiggs can actually get jab>rest under specific conditions apparently, but I haven't messed with it. Her jab is surprisingly disjointed and is one of her fastest options, so anything she can get off it sounds pretty significant to me.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
So Pac-Man's does work!! :love:
My testing must have been off lol
It's weird since Trampoline sends Pac-Man up like how Mr. Game & Watch just goes up with Fire. So, no damage, it just there for hilarity. I mean, you can taunt after a jab with Pac-Man and probably the others. :p

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Those aren't Moose; they're elk. Notice the antlers and facial structure. This is a moose:

Just saying.
me going about my day then realizing I made a mistake o.o

edit: yes this is what I look like, I haven't shaved yet today

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
iirc Bowser mains say Bowser has something like +7 frame advantage with jab1 on hit. Not sure if it translates to anything for him offensively but if accurate is pretty significant.

Bowser Jr's jab1 might string into usmash on grass, I haven't messed with it a whole lot (I know it can connect, but when I toyed with it before it seemed like it'd be really easy to shield with how far he had to run for it)

ROB's jab cancels are pretty legit, I actually forgot about him but I did test him awhile back. jab1>usmash true combos at specific percents on fastfallers.

Jiggs can actually get jab>rest under specific conditions apparently, but I haven't messed with it. Her jab is surprisingly disjointed and is one of her fastest options, so anything she can get off it sounds pretty significant to me.
Wow... I forgot to add that Bowser Jr. could Jab into tilts and Smashes... :facepalm:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
It's weird since Trampoline sends Pac-Man up like how Mr. Game & Watch just goes up with Fire. So, no damage, it just there for hilarity. I mean, you can taunt after a jab with Pac-Man and probably the others. :p
It will actually hit some characters with a large frame like bowser and DK. People like ZSS don't get hit by the initial hitbox though.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Game & Watch's jab 1 is semi-unsafe at low percents as there's a big enough gap between it and the rapid jab to get a hit in for some characters. Not sure what percent it becomes safe due to hitstun. It can be used for occasional jab mixups, though.

If he's close enough Little Mac can Up-B out of another Mac's jab combo.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Actually Bowser Jr doesn't even get jab1>(frame 4) dtilt as a true combo on 150% Rosalina on grass, and that's a frame 4 dtilt. That sort of thing bothers me considering his jab1 doesn't lift off the ground, an opponent could just hold shield and now you're going to get punished badly.

Speaking of G&W rapid jab, I hate the animation. I thought that thing was near unpunishable for the longest time, but the hitbox is only active one frame; it looks like it should linger.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
*looks at my main*
Lots of options for him, yep.

Kind of, I guess? I'm not familiar with other fighters but I assume they have similar hurtbox programming, so the customizations couldn't really go past that I figure. I'm just glad that each character now has the same number of palettes (Little Mac excepted) where in Brawl you had some with 4 and some with 400. And really, I'm pretty pleased with the palettes in this game, giving characters some neat shoutouts like Dark/Light Suit and Dark Samus, Skyloft and Fierce Deity Link, Virtual Boy Rob, the various character references in Shulk, Palutena, and Lucina's palettes, and the Chaos Emerald colors for Sonic, although character references like him would be better (I think his rings reference the CEs? @Sonic Storm confirm). Mega Man's colors are also some pretty legit shoutouts.
Then you look at Pac-Man and wonder what the **** happened.
Where is my Ms.Pac-Man color swap??

Rizen

Smash Legend
Anyone up for Wii U wifi?
edit nvm I go for a long time on AiB without finding a match, post here and then a match comes. :/
Edit2 and now I can play again, lol
Edit 3 going for a walk.

Last edited:
Top Bottom