• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
Squall vs Wind is a matter of match up advantage vs disadvantage. I have the theory that Ness will have a very very hard time against Squall because of the air string stalling and the gimping, and as D3RK said you can get rid of PK Fire with Nayru's Love. Against Rosalina, though, it's much better to use Wind since Squall doesn't do **** to her nor to Luma, and Wind can kill both of them really fast.

I dunno against Robin, tbh, I've never fought a good one. But I'm thinking both would work, one for the KO power and the other for the gimps against their predictable recovery.

I wanna test out what Squall can do to on-stage items like bananas and stuff. We know for a fact that it can stop the hoo haa mid air
Well for Robin's recovery, you can just go under him/her and use Nayru's Love as the wind blades come out and it'll spike them or at least hit them. Plus, Robin has quite a few laggy moves you can punish so I'd say Wind is better in this MU.

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
All of these new videos and findings are awesome @ 「 Derk 」 「 Derk 」 and @ Macchiato Macchiato . I just finished watching them all and it's really cool to see so many gimping and KO uses for Squall :D. The SlowDin's kill set up was particularly good.

Do any of you two wanna play to test Squall and other customs in actual battles? I'll use everyone but Zelda :p
I'll play

NekoJubei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NekoJubei
3DS FC
4425-1920-7361
Farore's Squall is Also very useful for doubles for saving your teammate or pushing them while they are doing a smash ATTACK

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
I was under the impression all this time that avatars were 125x125 on here, but I guess they're rectangular instead of square. The more you know.

since Squall doesn't do **** to her nor to Luma
Question: How far does Phantom Strike send Luma flying? It's weight-based fixed knockback and has a much nicer hitbox than the other phantoms, I'd imagine it would be great for the matchup if it sends Luma anywhere meaningful.

I would still opt for Wind in the matchup overall (Rosalina's not very bothered by windboxes unless they're sending her upB to the moon), just a point of curiosity.

SBphiloz4

Gatekeeper of the Shadows
NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
I've posted our research stuff about Squall here in the standard custom moveset, suggesting some changes to our standard sets. None of the standard sets they have for us have Squall, but based on what we've found, this is definitely something we should consider using. I suggested replacing the 1211 and the 1311 sets with XX23, as again Phantom Strike is very nice with Squall. Just to let all of you gorls' hard work be noticed by everyone else here! :')

http://smashboards.com/threads/offi...oveset-project-initial-release.381395/page-26

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
I just noticed that the set I'd likely use (1313) isn't actually on that, haha

Not that it matters since I don't actually play Zelda and have a 3DS anyway (and tournaments around here don't use customs), but it's the first character I've noticed lacking a set I'd use.

EDIT: Started up Smash to check something else, decided to look into Strike vs Luma.
  • Uncharged potentially sends Luma flying a decent way, but the horizontal knockback angle means a grounded Luma isn't going to go far before hitting the ground; airborne will kill Luma around 40% FD
  • Moderate charge can kill from about 1/3 FD; doesn't seem to send Luma as far as uncharged when there isn't a floor to catch it.
  • Full charge can kill Luma a bit past 1/2 FD; Luma just pops upward if the second hit whiffs, but you can just dash attack Luma toward the ledge in that case.
Doesn't seem to be better than dash attack at Luma disposal, but it's a safer move to throw out so I guess if Luma dies it's gravy. Not to mention the high damage per hit can wear it down.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
@ Lavani Lavani , is Greninja's Down Smash useful as an edgeguard? Because I use Down Smash with Falco and Ike a lot, I tend to have a habit of using Down Smash with everyone else. Well, I don't know the frame, but Greninja's Down Smash seems slow, but I did get get a kill with it when someone tried to recover andleading me to notice its range.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
@ Lavani Lavani , is Greninja's Down Smash useful as an edgeguard? Because I use Down Smash with Falco and Ike a lot, I tend to have a habit of using Down Smash with everyone else. Well, I don't know the frame, but Greninja's Down Smash seems slow, but I did get get a kill with it when someone tried to recover andleading me to notice its range.
D-smash is mainly for punishing rolls and as an u-air spike followup. I haven't exactly tried it in edgeguarding, but I usually use u-smash for that purpose.

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
It can hit ledgesnaps, though it's ridiculously precise and the attack is laggy (hits on 17f, FAF over 50f) so if you miss it there's a fair chance you could get punished by a ledge attack or something.

If you're going to edgeguard with Greninja your go-tos are:
  • Offstage bair, hitting them away up high or under/into the stage against low recoveries. It starts much faster than his other aerials and lingers for a good while with great range, so it's quite easy to intercept recoveries with.
  • Offstage Shadow Sneak; the back kick does more damage/kb and oddly has a better hitbox, but which way you face for it should largely depend on which direction you face when usually edgeguarding so as not to telegraph it.
  • Hydro Pump
  • Fully charged Water Shuriken; will probably get you a KO if they don't have ledge invincibility, as it hits opponents holding the ledge
  • Full jump dair offstage; after a full jump you have enough height to recover afterward, but it's still risky to go for. Getting that spike is oh so glorious though, and if you don't get the spike hitbox you can combo dair>fair for a KO as well.
  • Runoff Explosive Attack, if you're running an xxx2 set in custom environments.

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
GGs @ Fernosaur Fernosaur ive learned that diddys Usmash is way worse than ours lol. Rejection is pretty good but it's pretty hard to do a squallator. I almost did a few times but I didn't jump the right direction. That was fun. Did yew find anything new?

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon

Well.

I don't recommend it though. See what Lavani said.

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
Okay guys, it's definitive.

Freud's Penissism > Nayru's Passion

Ridic as that sounds, Penissism's invul frames CAN actually be useful at stopping strings and combos, and for putting recoveries in an awkward place. The hitboxes will still give them their Up B back, but they're farther away from the stage anyways, and the invul frames make it so Zelda won't be damaged by most of these recoveries.

In conjunction, Penissism and Squall make for a pretty decent defensive moveset that specializes in stalling the opponent's momentum and interfering with their pacing. They won't make you instantly good, because they're not good specials. They're more like utility specials that let you control, or at least give a degree of randomness to the battle.

These two are definitely the customs we wanna use in tourneys against rushdowns.

(Btw Freud's Penissism = Nayru's Rejection)

GGs @ Fernosaur Fernosaur ive learned that diddys Usmash is way worse than ours lol. Rejection is pretty good but it's pretty hard to do a squallator. I almost did a few times but I didn't jump the right direction. That was fun. Did yew find anything new?
Yeah, that U-smash whiffed a surprising amount of times, though I guess it was a combination of Zelda's weight + rage.

Anyways! That was actually pretty interesting!! I wouldn't say Squall and Penissism make game changers, but they're DEFINITELY useful against rushdown characters because of how much momentum they stop. I had no idea Rejection had a windbox! And both of them are actually surprisingly useful as a defensive moveset. Squall's big reappear windbox can also put characters in a VERY awkward position. Diddy's recovery is pretty good (though I'm terrible at using it lol), but for more vertical or linear recoveries some of those windboxes could have been deadly.

Squall definitely needs practice time, though, since it's potentially more dangerous than Wind for SDs due to the longer distance.

Also, Squall made the Ness match-up less of a walk in the park than I thought, cause it seems the multihit properties of his fair will keep Zelda in place even after the windbox has moved both. It seems Squall needs a ver precise timing in order to actually push him away. The gimping is definitely much easier though. I'd say Squall gives AT least a +5 to Zelda's advantage in that MU.

Btw if you're running that variation of Phantom in your tourney be very careful of when you charge it off-stage. That last spike I got you with was all because of Phantom.

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Okay guys, it's definitive.

Freud's Penissism > Nayru's Passion

Ridic as that sounds,
I don't think something being better than a frame 27 move with "okay" reward and kill power that is basically just a more damaging Catch and Release - a custom I've heard called "possibly the worst in the game" - sounds very ridiculous.

Also @ Macchiato Macchiato Lasting PK Thunder just seems straight-up worse than Ness' to me, you give up PK Thunder juggling since the projectile doesn't disappear when it hits opponents leaving you locked into it, and it can still be cancelled by an opponent hitting it with aerials (see: most characters' nairs). I think the rest are fine, but I'd stick to default PK Thunder.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Guys, I'm bored and want to explore some customs. Any Zelda customs you guys need testing for?
If you want you could look over the to do list for Squall in the Squall research thread and go for some of the things on that list. :p

I don't think something being better than a frame 27 move with "okay" reward and kill power that is basically just a more damaging Catch and Release - a custom I've heard called "possibly the worst in the game" - sounds very ridiculous.

Also @ Macchiato Macchiato Lasting PK Thunder just seems straight-up worse than Ness' to me, you give up PK Thunder juggling since the projectile doesn't disappear when it hits opponents leaving you locked into it, and it can still be cancelled by an opponent hitting it with aerials (see: most characters' nairs). I think the rest are fine, but I'd stick to default PK Thunder.
Its kill power is not okay imo, lol. It's just outright bad for a power-type custom design. I mean 150-170%? This ain't Brawl SHEIK!

It isn't the worst custom move though; Jiggly's "turning sing" custom exists.

Last edited:

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo

I don't think I've ever seen you play Ness, but be careful. Ness and Lucas played VERY differently.
Yeah I know gorls, I use lucas' specials because that's what I've always stuck with and imo they're better. I mained mess when this game just came out Cuz I was kinda hoping they have him a lot of lucas' default moves but no

wat

I just wanna test some customs though

or do you need help testing something lol
Test rejection and squall

Last edited:

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Yeah I know gorls, I use lucas' specials because that's what I've always stuck with and imo they're better. I mained mess when this game just came out Cuz I was kinda hoping they have him a lot of lucas' default moves but no

Idk I'll do whatever well let's just have custom battles
Gorl...
Sakutena disapproves of double posTs.

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Its kill power is not okay imo, lol. It's just outright bad for a power-type custom design. I mean 150-170%? This ain't Brawl SHEIK!

Well there were quotations around "okay" for a reason, I was told it did actually have kill power (guess who) but I never saw when it started to kill myself lol

And you're right I completely forgot about the steaming pile of crap known as Spinphony. Can't get worse than that!

EDIT: Actually, Meta Knight's Lazy Shuttle Loop might be worse, mostly on virtue of what it replaces in the moveset.

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon

hmm I thought that might be good for edge guarding

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
hmm I thought that might be good for edge guarding
It takes years to start (iirc Jiggs has to double jump to be able to toss out the first hitbox before ledge cancelling) and apparently even refreshes upBs on hit

There's also some pretty big gaps between the hits

Last edited:

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
Updated the custom lab with some new discoveries and some new to-do's, girls.

@ Furret Furret or @ Berserker. Berserker. , maybe you two could help out with testing Squall's effects on Sonic's specials, since I'm ridiculously terrible at using the blue cancer.

@ Furret Furret or @ Berserker. Berserker. , maybe you two could help out with testing Squall's effects on Sonic's specials, since I'm ridiculously terrible at using the blue cancer.
I'm going to my course soon but I'll see what I can do. I'm also going to try this out on Shulk and his lolbad recovery (or back slash)

Furret

Long Body Pokémon

I never said good, me and sonic in the same sentence before (except this one). Also not referring to my character as cancer is pretty good way to ask for things

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965
Make a list of moves that Squall can block. Only testing special moves atm since Squall out-ranges most regular attacks easily. Testing only the specials alone took almost 2 hours lol.
:4mario:
Cape: It is impossible to cape Farore's Squall. The wind box out-ranges it instantly
Super Jump Punch: Farore's Squall pushes it away before it can connect.
Jab combo: Farore's Squall can escape it.

:4luigi:
Green Missile: Can block it at any time. Idk about misfires, didn't check them.
Super Jump Punch: Farore's Squall pushes it away before it can connect.
Luigi Cyclone: Can push away at any time, but to fully block the move you need to be in intangible frames.

:4peach:
Peach Bomber: Can push away at any time, but to fully block the move you need to be in intangible frames.
Parasol: Can block it at any time. Squall out-ranges it instantly.

:4bowser:
Whirling Fortress: Can block at any time. Squall out-ranges it instantly.
Flying Slam: Can block at any time. Squall pushes it away before Bowser can grab.
Bowser Bomb: Very difficult to block from the front, you would need perfect timing and prediction. Easily blocked from behind.
Jab combo: Zelda can push Bowser away before he can land his second hit.

:4yoshi:
Egg Lay/Tongue move: Can block at any time. Squall will push it away before the command grab can activate.
Yoshi Bomb: Very difficult to block from the front, you would need perfect timing and prediction. Easily blocked from behind.
Egg Roll: Farore's Squall can push it away but it's impossible to stop without taking damage. Too much momentum for it to cancel out.
Jab: Zelda can push Yoshi away before he can land the second hit.

:rosalina:
Launch Star: You can freely push it around since it is a non-damaging attack.
Jab: You can push Rosalina away but Luma is unaffected. Impossible to break out of her jab combo when Luma is present. Same goes for her specials.

:4bowserjr:
Clown Kart Dash: Can push away at any time, but to fully block the move you need to be in intangible frames.
Mechakoopa: You can freely push it away with the start up of Squall but if you remain in the same spot it will hit you. If you push it away with the start up then teleport towards it slightly you can blow it away completely. This could see some usage in doubles with Zelda + Bowser Jr to deliver bombs across the stage instantly.
Abandon Ship: Can block at any time. Squall pushes Bowser Jr but not the clown kart.

:4wario2:
Chomp: Zelda can push it away before the command grab can reach her.
Wario Bike: Zelda can block it, but only during the intangible frames.
Waft: Can block it at any time. It instantly out-ranges the move.
Corkscrew: Can block it at any time. It instantly out-ranges the move.

:4dk:
All specials bypass Farore's Squall unless you are in intangible frames.

:4diddy:
All specials bypass Farore's Squall unless you are in intangible frames. Monkey Kick can be blocked on startup with perfect spacing but the command grab is un-blockable.

:4gaw:
Hammer: Can block at any time. Squall out-ranges it instantly.
All other specials are either non-damaging or reflected by Nayru's Love. You can freely push them around.

:4littlemac:
Rising Uppercut: Seems to come out instantly. Squall can block it at any time, but the start up only beats it if you can activate it first (prediction based levels of input timing.)
Jolt Haymaker: Can only block it during intantgible frames.
Straight Lunge: Can block it at any time unless it is fully charged. It's impossible to punish once fully charged.

:4link::4tlink:
Spin Attack: Can block at any time. Squall out-ranges it instantly.
Bombs: Farore's Squall can reflect them back at Link

:4sheik:
Bouncing Fish: Depends on your timing. You need to be in your intangible frames or use the second wind box.
Grenade: On startup or during intangible frames. Can also block with the ending wind box.

:4ganondorf:
Warlock Punch: Can block at any time. Squall out-ranges it instantly.
Flame Choke and Wizard Foot: Can only block with the intangible frames.
Dark Dive: Can block at any time. Squall out-ranges it instantly.

:4samus:
Screw Attack: Can block at any time. Squall out-ranges it instantly.
All of her other attacks are ranged based so Nayru's can deal with them.

:4zss:
Boost Kick: The first hit can still land but as long as you activate Farore's Squall it prevents the killing hit from landing.
Plasma Whip: Can push it away but due to the range of this move it is impossible to avoid without the intangible frames.
Flip Jump: Only blocks during intangible frames or the ending wind box. It sends ZSS flying high in the air lol.

:4pit::4darkpit:
Upperdash Arm: Can block at any time. Squall out-ranges it instantly.
Power of Flight and Guardian Orbitals: Non-damaging attacks so you can freely push them around.
Jab combo: Seems harder to escape compared to most jabs but it's possible.

:4palutena:
Reflect: Can block it at any time. Squall out-ranges it instantly.
Teleport and Counter: Non-damaging attacks so you can freely push them around.
Jab combo: Extremely easy to escape.

:4marth::4lucina:
Dancing Blade: Farore's Squall can escape after the first hit.
Shield Breaker: Can push it away but due to it's range you can only block it completely with intangible frames.
Dolphin Slash: Due to the speed of this move you can only block it if you activate Farore's Squall first (Prediction based reaction time required).

:4myfriends:
Quick Draw: Farore's Squall can only stop this move towards the end due to the momentum this move has at the beginning. Intangible frames can stop it at any time.
Aether and Eruption: Can block it at any time. Squall out-ranges it instantly.

:4robinm::4robinf:
Elwind: Can block it at any time as long as you are above them. Squall out-ranges it instantly
Other specials are ranged based and handled by Nayru's Love.
Jab: Easily escaped before the fire or wind hit can activate with good DI and buffering.

:4duckhunt:
All specials are ranged based and easy to deal with using Nayru's Love. Recovery is non-damaging so you can easily push it around.

:4kirby:
Inhale: Can block it at any time. Squall out-ranges it immediately.
Flip Hammer: Can block it at any time. Squall out-ranges it immediately.
Final Cutter: Can push it away but the wind blade can still hit you on stage. Offstage it is easy to push away.

:4dedede:
Inhale: Can block it at any time. Squall out-ranges it immediately.
Jet Hammer: Can block it at any time. Squall out-ranges it immediately.
Super Dedede Jump: Can block it at any time as long as you are not under it.

:4metaknight:
Drill Rush: Can only block with intangible frames.
Mach Tornado: Can only block with intangible frames.
Shuttle Loop: Can block at any time. Squall out-ranges it immediately.

:4fox::4falco:
Fire Fox/Bird: Can block the start up at any time. The movement part of this move can only be blocked with intangible frames.
Phantasm: Can block the ending at any time. The beginning of this move can only be blocked with intangible frames.

:4pikachu:
Skull Bash: Can push at any time but this attack has too much momentum to cancel. Can only block with intangible frames.
Quick Attack: Can block the start up of this move but the movement's damage can cancel Farore's Squall.
Thunder: Can push it away but thunder will still hit you. Can avoid thunder with intangible frames.
Jab combo: Farore's Squall can escape, but its harder than most jabs because of how quick it is.

:4charizard:
Flare Blitz: Can only block during the ending of this move due to the large momentum at the beginning. Can block it at any time with the intangible frames.
Fly and Rock Smash: Can block it at any time. Squall out-ranges it instantly.
Jab combo: Farore's Squall can escape.

:4lucario:
Extreme Speed: Can push the beginning away but the higher Lucario's rage the harder it is to push the movement portion of this move.
Force Palm: Can only block it with intangible frames due to the range.

:4jigglypuff:
Rollout: Can only block during the intangible frames.
Pound, Rest, and Sing: Can block at any time. Squall out-ranges it immediately.

:4greninja:
Shadow Sneak: Depends on your timing. If you see Shadow Sneak coming you can easily block it with intangible frames.
Hydro Pump: Can push the beginning but the movement portion of this attack has too much momentum to block.
Jab: Farore's Squall can escape it.

:4rob:
Arm Rotor: Can block the entire move using the start up and ending wind boxes.
Gyro: Can block it using the intangible frames only. However, you can freely push it around the stage with Farore's Squall at any time.
Robo Burner: Non-damaging attack so you can freely push it around.

:4ness:
Pk Thunder: Extremely gimpable recovery. Farore's Squall coming into contact with Ness makes it very hard for him to recover.
Other specials are magic based and easy to deal with using Nayru's Love.

:4falcon:
Raptor Boost: Can block at any time. Squall out-ranges it immediately.
Falcon Kick: Can only block it using intangible frames.
Falcon Punch: Can block at any time. Squall out-ranges it immediately.
Falcon Dive: Can push the start up away but will not cancel the command grab if Falcon is still in range.

:4villager::4villagerf:
Balloon Trip and Pocket: Non-damaging attacks so you can freely push them around.

:4olimar::4alph:
Winged Pikmin and Pikmin Order: Non-damaging attack so you can freely push them around.
Other specials are ranged based and easy to deal with using Nayru's Love.

:4wiifit::4wiifitm:
Header: Only blockable with intangible frames. It will reflect the ball vertical
Super Hoop: Can block at any time. Squall out-ranges it immediately.
Deep Breathing: Non-damaging attack so you can freely push it around.

:4shulk:
Air Slash and Back Slash: Can push it away but will still hit you due to the range. They are only 100% blockable with the intangible frames.
Monado Arts and Counter: Non-damaging attacks so you can freely push them around.

:4drmario:
Super Jump Punch: This move is extremely quick. Farore's Squall can block it as long as you activate it first (requires prediction levels of input).
Cape: It is impossible to cape Farore's Squall. The wind box out-ranges it instantly
Dr. Tornado: Can push away at any time, but to fully block the move you need to be in intangible frames.

:4pacman:
Power Pellet: Only blockable with intangible frames.
Pac-Jump: Farore's Squall can block it as long as you activate it first and dodge the hit box.

:4megaman:
Rush Coil: Non-damaging attack so you can freely push it around.
All of his other attacks are ranged based and easily deal with using Nayru's Love.

:4sonic:
Spin Dash: Impossible to block without taking damage. This includes using intangible frames.
Spring jump: Non-damaing attack so you can freely push it around.
Homing Attack: Only blockable with intangible frames.

Last edited:

SBphiloz4

Gatekeeper of the Shadows
NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
A sneak peek on my Zelda highlight video I'll probably have done by the end of the week!

But it's a highlight for all the wrong reasons! DX
Probably one of the most embarrassing defeats in my Smash lifetime.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
:4zss:
Boost Kick: The first hit can still land but as long as you activate Farore's Squall it prevents the killing hit from landing.
Woah, really? So if I'm understanding this correctly, she can do her fancy dsmash to Boost Kick or whatever, but if you activate Squall during Boost Kick you can get out? Or, do you mean that you activate Squall before BK comes out and only the first hit will connect?
A sneak peek on my Zelda highlight video I'll probably have done by the end of the week!

But it's a highlight for all the wrong reasons! DX
Probably one of the most embarrassing defeats in my Smash lifetime.
Omg gorl you could have FW'd off of the respawn thing and sniped him with the reappearing hit. No one expects it either so it's just like haha there goes your stock :^)
I'm excited to see your highlight video by the way! <3

Last edited:

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965
Woah, really? So if I'm understanding this correctly, she can do her fancy dsmash to Boost Kick or whatever, but if you activate Squall during Boost Kick you can get out? Or, do you mean that you activate Squall before BK comes out and only the first hit will connect?
As long as you have time to input Farore's Squall it won't kill you. ZSS first hit is too quick to prevent it hitting but as long as you can get the frame 1 wind box it will push her away far enough that by the time the final hit comes out ZSS is too far away for it to connect.

Edit: I will make a video rq to show you what i'm talking about lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom