• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

I don't think customs are going to make THAT much of a difference. It's only Palutena that has a completely different playstyle with customs legal. The rest of the characters mostly have the same strategy.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I know next to nothing about custom moves. But I do believe the game plan should stay the same for most characters. Doesn't Ganondorf change quite a bit though?

evmaxy54

Smash Champion
NNID
maXywashere
I know next to nothing about custom moves. But I do believe the game plan should stay the same for most characters. Doesn't Ganondorf change quite a bit though?
He can actually recover yeah

I know it's always been this way, but I find it rather funny this thread is classified as a "guide".
This thread is technically a guide

A guide to living SASSY!

Last edited:
As far as I know, it's only his recovery options that get better. He also has a ridiculously better up B which works as a KO/OoS option. His wiz drop kick allows him to have less of a crappy time against zoners. Other than that, his gameplan is the same. It's just that he's given more options but his plan is still the same anyway

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
As far as I know, it's only his recovery options that get better. He also has a ridiculously better up B which works as a KO/OoS option. His wiz drop kick allows him to have less of a crappy time against zoners. Other than that, his gameplan is the same. It's just that he's given more options but his plan is still the same anyway
Ok cool. So it's pretty much Palutena the only one that gets insanely different. Customs just allow for different tools to approach the same plan or create better situations for the character.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Yeah, the first one.aren't they the same pokemon?
Nope, first one is Ninetails (I know they are pretty good at naming *sarcasm*), second one is Furret
get the heck out of here you nerd
Okay seriously what the ****. 1 stock 2 minutes? I just heard someone suggesting this. I'm neutral on customs only because some characters become legit stupid with them if they're legalized

Maybe I'll start appreciating customs once I finally go back to hyper arts but idk. Palutena, Villager and ROSALINA are going to be disgusting
I really don't like customs, we already have a game that is really heavy in match up knowledge. Customs just make it worse. In fact out of all the reasons not to do customs (extra lab time, a new rule set, breaking certain characters) match up knowledge is my least favorite. Get ready for Smash 4 coaching hype.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
Good morning sisters!

Customs are great. They make matches more entertaining and give some characters a chance to shine when they couldn't without them (Samus, Palutena)
If EVO sticks with the custom moves ruleset, I reaaaallly hope we'll see some custom Zeldas. Knowing Zelda, she'll get a shield break with Phantom Breaker and the opponent will fall out of a fully charged fsmash

Though most of all I'm looking forward to seeing how Diddy fares against customs :^) bring on the Luma Lasers

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Okay, this is happening a lot now. I win against someone with Greninja, then suddenly they counterpick to Captain Falcon or Little Mac.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Good morning sisters!

Customs are great. They make matches more entertaining and give some characters a chance to shine when they couldn't without them (Samus, Palutena)
If EVO sticks with the custom moves ruleset, I reaaaallly hope we'll see some custom Zeldas. Knowing Zelda, she'll get a shield break with Phantom Breaker and the opponent will fall out of a fully charged fsmash

Though most of all I'm looking forward to seeing how Diddy fares against customs :^) bring on the Luma Lasers
consensus is Zelda will disappear with out reapearing from the game with customs on. I have no clue, I don't have all customs yet
Okay, this is happening a lot now. I win against someone with Greninja, then suddenly they counterpick to Captain Falcon or Little Mac.
captain is just popular, don't think that is actually a group of people out to get you

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
PS, Kuro kun had said 3 months. (*edit* reiteration: at maximum.) :3 What you saw was probably his spam bot him just glancing in and deciding to cause a stirrup via hi.

Even HE can't resist looking in even though he's supposed to be on hiatus~

As for customs, I'll use then when I play Wii fit, ha customs are like...fun. I don't expect I'd start using any of Zelda's customs in their current design state.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
All of you guys are talking about how great playing with customs will be, yet I've been playing all matches with them a week after 3DS dropped.

SBphiloz4

Gatekeeper of the Shadows
NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
I was testing out Zelda's customs against some CPUs and every time I use Phantom 2, it always just seems to pass through the opponent. And IDK if Phantom 3 is much better, since it is so close range and we already have decently powerful close range moves in our arsenal. Vanilla phantom IMO is probably the best when it comes to spacing, but in general, Phantom is kind of a bad move. :/

And don't get me started on Din's Fire's customs.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
All of you guys are talking about how great playing with customs will be, yet I've been playing all matches with them a week after 3DS dropped.
That's awesome really. I have not bothered with them since I find them difficult to unlock. And with work etc, it would take up my time. However, if it does happen that they become tournament legal, I will start unlocking them for the characters I use and seeing their applications.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
Same, they outgrew their novelty a while ago
I'll only use one or two customs with characters, they aren't really a big deal imo. I used to be amazed by the idea of customs but it's only minimal changes.
List tyme!
:4kirby: - Upper Cutter, Jump Inhale
:4link: - Regular Boomerang, Whirling Leap, Meteor Bombs* (depends on the MU)
:4pit: Shocking Orbitars
:4sheik: Jellyfish
:4shulk: Power Vision, Back Slash leap
:4robinm: Speed Thunder
Most vanilla characters are good without customs though
Upper Cutter though~
I'd take it over Final Cutter any day

Last edited:

SBphiloz4

NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
K E N S T O P H O A R D I N G

Back to customs talk, I can definitely see that when Evo comes along, and the community has had about 4 months of practice with customs, Diddy would definitely see a little less usage. But dem Rosalina customs, I bet soooo many people will start using her. :/

I predict that there will not be a Palutena in Top 8 as well, because I don't think 2 stock works in her favour as well as super defensive custom characters such as the aforementioned Rosalina. We'll see if my prediction holds water. :^)

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
One's outlook on customs depends a lot on what your character gets out of them. With Dedede and Greninja they're whatever, with Meta Knight and Jigglypuff I literally get nothing, but with Rosalina I have a much more complete character with more options. I would imagine most people playing in a customs environment are only going to change one or two moves tops from default on their set though, the default moves are the best for something like 65% of slot options.

Back to customs talk, I can definitely see that when Evo comes along, and the community has had about 4 months of practice with customs, Diddy would definitely see a little less usage. But dem Rosalina customs, I bet soooo many people will start using her. :/

I predict that there will not be a Palutena in Top 8 as well, because I don't think 2 stock works in her favour as well as super defensive custom characters such as the aforementioned Rosalina. We'll see if my prediction holds water. :^)
I bet nobody will start using her because the smash community apparently can't tolerate any character whose gameplan isn't "run forward and press buttons"

I agree that evo's gonna want to change the ruleset up though, 2 stock 5 minute is baaaaad and promotes camping.

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
Anyone heard of the Chapel Hill shooting? Three Muslim college students, two of them husband and wife, shot dead yesterday evening near the University of North Carolina.

Unreal.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
Guys, I've been accepted into college!

Congrats!
Might want to spoiler that gif m8

Anyone heard of the Chapel Hill shooting? Three Muslim college students, two of them husband and wife, shot dead yesterday evening near the University of North Carolina.

Unreal.
It's truly sad. Three promising lives ended abruptly due to irrational hatred.

Last edited:

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Funny cause I have the same thing happen to me. And if I win with Zelda, they go Zelda dittos on me as if to prove who is sassier something :p

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
All right I spoiled the gif, I don't really much problem with flashing lights so I kinda forget that there are people who do =P

But hey giving people seizures is the best way of celebrating.

Unreal.
I hadn't heard of it, geez...

This reminds me that while I was sleeping today, there was some shooting right in front of my house. I heard the gunshots in the middle of the night and it gave me quite the scare. It took me a while to relax and go back to sleep.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
What motivates someone to counterpick Gimpmaster Greninja™ with the most gimpable character in the game?

SBphiloz4

NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
>When scrubs think switching to Little Mac would be an auto-win for them

>When they realize their scrubbyness but still call you out

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
To be fair it can be pretty hard to take Little Mac off the ground. Once we do though...
Yeah, it's not like Greninja hard counters Mac (imo the matchup is closer to even if anything), I just find the idea of the counterpick amusing.

Also everyone on FG has a pocket Falcon if they don't already main Falcon, rule of thumb.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I think Little Mac is 60:40 in Greninja's favor since Little Mac just plain loses when he's not on the ground. Plus Greninja's ground combat isn't bad either and we do have a projectile and that great dash grab.

It's very fun to bait Little Mac's side-b by using shurikens, shield, then send him flying with a Smash attack.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Little Mac just plain loses when he's not on the ground.
The story of Mac's life.

I think tourneys should be able to have custom events but the standard rules should not allow custom moves. Some customs drastically alter how you must react to a character and change up the metagame. 3 customs for 4 special moves on 50+ characters is a lot to account for.

Last edited:

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
Are customs gonna be legal, then? Where is this custom talk coming from?

Unreal.
That's really bad. And even worse after this happened. It looks like anti-Muslim hate crimes are gonna be big this year at this rate :/

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
I like how a lot of the new characters can wall jump and crawl, why the **** can rosalina crawl? and duck hunt hasn't even jumped before getting in smash bros
Rosalina's crawl baffles me; from a design standpoint I think they were intending to give her a way to manipulate Luma without coming to a stop (crouching/crawling makes Luma sink to the ground) but it's such a weird looking animation and not something I expected the character to get.

I'm still bitter that Luigi and DK can't walljump.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Are customs gonna be legal, then? Where is this custom talk coming from?
you should visit the main page more often, http://smashboards.com/threads/proposed-evo-2015-smash-4-ruleset-customs-possible.390789/
Rosalina's crawl baffles me; from a design standpoint I think they were intending to give her a way to manipulate Luma without coming to a stop (crouching/crawling makes Luma sink to the ground) but it's such a weird looking animation and not something I expected the character to get.
it's not really an animation as it is someone sliding their butt on the ground

Edit:
I'm still bitter that Luigi and DK can't walljump.
ya those two characters would love that

Last edited:
Top Bottom