• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

Spirst

Gonna have to disagree on the 4th gen.
It had it's charm, but many of the pokemon designs didn't appeal to me. Muh Empoleon doe
I put 4 really high because Platinum's replayability and HG/SS
2=3 I can agree with. 5 and 6 had some gems, like Zoroark and Aegislash
2=3>1>4>5>6 :p
Alright, this, I approve of. I remember being so hyped for HGSS.

On the downside though, gen 5 also introduced ****ing Garbodor.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
you must have ignored multiple posts where people were hating on 5, the fact you rated 5 above anything is sad If you need an example of how messed up you need to be in the head to think 5 is ahead of anything I submit my following example
I'm seeing it get a lot of hate here, most other people I've seen mention it rate it around #2~4 usually with the rationale that it had the best postgame of the series.

SaDX's gardens were definitely better. (Mystic ruins garden though? Up in the air for me. Maybe a LITTLE chaotic.) It's funny how in the Egg Carrier garden, the Chao can't get in the water themselves, lmao. I use that one for Chao who can't initially swim.

I also ALWAYS go into the garden as Amy (SaDX) and Tails (Sa2B) (Well, unless I NEED to align a chao to dark. Then I'd pick Rouge, probably.) Amy cuz I like ha best, and Tails because (iirc) he can't actually land on a chao and cause it to be knocked away. A neat little design. Of course then there's also "pwutpwutpwutpwut" flying. :awesome:

I never had access to like, GBA, etc. perks, so I've only gotten translucent chao in SaDX.

As for the games themselves, they've got great gameplay imo. Recently me and one of my brothers have gotten back into playing 2P mode. We mostly play treasure hunt duels. To make it MORE fun though, on level 2 arenas, (And some level 3s) we actually only search for gems that aren't currently the "radar" gem. (Since only one is on radar at a time.) It makes it very interesting as we search through all of the possible outcome placements for them. P: That way there's some replay value, as we learn every possible spawn spot. >:D
Mystic Ruins garden is my favorite overall :c It does have a pretty crazy layout, but that's what makes it interesting!

I think I mainly used Tails in both games, being able to hover around the garden is convenient and he's my favorite Sonic character. Also he could drown in the hero garden water because he was so short :3

SA2's gameplay was some of my favorite in general, though mainly for the Sonic/Shadow stages. Final Rush/Chase best stages

Soul.

I think the only Sonic game I've played since Adventure 2 is Rush. Colors and Generations looked good though, maybe I should try them out.

Gen 4's designs made me quit the series after RSE. Gen 6 only hooked my attention because I'd missed Volcarona/Lilligant in gen 5 + Gourgeist and Noivern looked neat, and having a customizable player character for once was an amazing concept. Also I got hounded a lot by an irl friend about it.

Vaguely related, Archeops' gen 6 idle animation is horrifying.

I don't disagree.
Gen 6 is boring and that's what it is. Boring. If people enjoy it, that's fine. It's just my opinion.
I barely play the main series games now.
Also yes, you should try out Colors / Generations.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Does it scale up significantly with rage or something? It kills a lot later than bthrow potentially can just because of the launch angle.

Sonic is a rare case of all four throws being useful.
some self notes about F throw
  • Kills later then U throw to my knowledge, although U throw kills pretty late
  • the end lag makes follow ups hard, unlike U throw which you can true combo U air and F air and catch DI with both of those moves
  • the traj angle makes it a poor choice when sending people back over the edge, haven't checked it's 75, 80 degree angle almost straight up, either way it's above 60, 65
  • the damage is practically the same as the other throws
  • it looks cool and doesn't feature grinding like sonic's d throw
Edit: if there is a use I really think those uses are better covered by other throws

Last edited:

Spirst

I'm seeing it get a lot of hate here, most other people I've seen mention it rate it around #2~4 usually with the rationale that it had the best postgame of the series.

Mystic Ruins garden is my favorite overall :c It does have a pretty crazy layout, but that's what makes it interesting!

I think I mainly used Tails in both games, being able to hover around the garden is convenient and he's my favorite Sonic character. Also he could drown in the hero garden water because he was so short :3

SA2's gameplay was some of my favorite in general, though mainly for the Sonic/Shadow stages. Final Rush/Chase best stages
SA2 was my favorite 3D Sonic game with DX following it. The open world aspect of DX was really cool though but Big the Cat was legitimately ********.

I loved the Sonic/Shadow stages but the Knuckles/Rouge stages bored me a lot. The writing/animation was so bad though that it cracks me up to revisit. Seriously, just look at this:

Last edited:

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
Honestly 5 had a unique style of pokemon, had new cool mechanics, a great soundtrack, and the best story.
Something has to be ranked last though :troll:
Remakes are a big thing for me, cept OR/AS. Ironic because R/S/E were my favorite games
Gen 3 and 4 remade the first two gen which automatically put them in top spots for me.
5 had no remakes, B/W was underwhelming compared to what came before it. B2/W2 was good, but I didn't play it till X/Y came out, because of how dirt B/W was.

Last edited:

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Macchiato sis, what cool 'new' mechanics did 5th gen have? And I thought the Pokémon were boring and lazy as hell. Neutral about the story, but I did like a number of tracks. That and Volcarona.

Last edited:

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
I may be a minority but, anyone else here prefer sprites over 3D models?
Just for the overworld, the battles greatly benefit from 3D models.
Sprites had a quaint charm to them.

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Gonna have to disagree on the 4th gen.
It had it's charm, but many of the pokemon designs didn't appeal to me. Muh Empoleon doe
I put 4 really high because Platinum's replayability and HG/SS
2=3 I can agree with. 5 and 6 had some gems, like Zoroark and Aegislash
5 completely put me off the series so there's bias there :3
2=3>1>4>5>6 :p

Lmao macchiato pls
I disliked literally every design in 4

Gen 5 introduced a lot of pokes I liked; Liepard, Chandelure, Whimsicott, Lilligant, Carracosta, Archeops, Zoroark, Cinccino, and Volcarona lines, plus Mienshao, Cryogonal, and Hydreigon. Reshiram's pretty neat, too.

Gen 6 is boring and that's what it is. Boring. If people enjoy it, that's fine. It's just my opinion.
I barely play the main series games now.
Also yes, you should try out Colors / Generations.
Serena Dressup Simulator is my favorite pokemon

SA2 was my favorite 3D Sonic game with DX following it. The open world aspect of DX was really cool though but Big the Cat was legitimately ********.

I loved the Sonic/Shadow stages but the Knuckles/Rouge stages bored me a lot. The writing/animation was so bad though that it cracks me up to revisit. Seriously, just look at this:

Words can't describe how much I agree with everything in this post.

At least Big had a hilarious gamebreaking glitch in Sonic Heroes, but he was by far the worst part of SADX.

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
Macchiato sis, what cool 'new' mechanics did 5th gen have? And I thought the Pokémon were boring and lazy as hell. Neutral about the story, but I did like a number of tracks. That and Volcarona.
The rustling grass, the battle factory, like after the story where like it introduced more cities and pokemon. I loved the pokemon actually, vanilluxe, sawsbuck, lilligant, snoutland, the three monkeys, whimsicott

Last edited:

Spirst

I did. The sprites had more personality as opposed to generic 3D models. 3D, in my opinion, either has to be really well-done or stylized for it to be appealing. The XY ones are neither (overworld too).

I will say though that I loved Colosseum/XD both of which had 3D pokemon models.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Serperior, Chandelure and Volcarona doe
Every gen had ****ty pokemon ;3
true but gen 5 had the most, the bubble thing, ice cream man, trash bag that was previously mentioned. There's always crappy pokes but gen 5 took the cake
Honestly 5 had a unique style of pokemon, had new cool mechanics, a great soundtrack, and the best story.
story lol, the same repackaged thing sense gen 1, least gen 3 had environmentalists
mechanics:
  • gen 1: introduced the game
  • gen 2: new types, can't remember held items or not, breeding
  • gen 3: passive abilities, battle tower thing
  • gen 4: separation of phy and special attacks
  • gen 5 : triple battles and nothing
  • gen 6 : 1 new type, megas, fedoras
I'm gonna say soundtrack is a preference thing
I think someone brought this up and I fully understand it, the sprites looked fine and some 3d models are eck

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Just for the overworld, the battles greatly benefit from 3D models.
Sprites had a quaint charm to them.
I mentioned this the other day, but sprites always > 3D models imo

Games like SMB3, NES Mega Man games, Rosenkreuzstilette, Phantom Brave, etc. are always and forever going to look better to me than modern 3D games.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
I disliked literally every design in 4
Wat, but Darkrai, Empoleon, Luxray, Leafeon

Gen 5 introduced a lot of pokes I liked; Zoroark
I don't doubt your design choices in Pokes then ;3
Gen 4 also brought evos for pokes that didn't have like Magneton
Gen 5 killed that by introducing Eviolite I think?

Last edited:

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger

Butbutbut

That's literally the best scene in the game. Especially the Rouge's side version.

:troll:

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
true but gen 5 had the most, the bubble thing, ice cream man, trash bag that was previously mentioned. There's always crappy pokes but gen 5 took the cake

story lol, the same repackaged thing sense gen 1, least gen 3 had environmentalists
mechanics:
  • gen 1: introduced the game
  • gen 2: new types, can't remember held items or not, breeding
  • gen 3: passive abilities, battle tower thing
  • gen 4: separation of phy and special attacks
  • gen 5 : triple battles and nothing
  • gen 6 : 1 new type, megas, fedoras
I'm gonna say soundtrack is a preference thing

I think someone brought this up and I fully understand it, the sprites looked fine and some 3d models are eck
Yew forgot rotation battles in gen 5

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
I did. The sprites had more personality as opposed to generic 3D models. 3D, in my opinion, either has to be really well-done or stylized for it to be appealing. The XY ones are neither (overworld too).

I will say though that I loved Colosseum/XD both of which had 3D pokemon models.
I agree on XD/Colosseum
3D models are one of the main reasons I hesitated to buy X/Y :v
Loving the thread name XD

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Don't care at all for Darkrai/Luxray, Empoleon's sprite from behind wasn't very well done and its 3D model in gen 6 is bleh but it's okay (I prefer Piplup but don't find either memorable), and Leafeon is okay but not great imo

HOWEVER, I forgot Cresselia Shaymin and Glaceon were gen 4. Cresselia is just behind the Lati twins for my favorite Psychic and tied with Gardevoir for #2, Shaymin (not sky forme) is adorable and so is Glaceon.

Last edited:

Spirst

We need more Colosseum-type Pokemon games. Pokemon games nowadays have you playing as a 5 year old kid surrounded by your preschool friends one of which is a random fat kid who likes dancing and another is a girl who has a little too much of a crush ("im so glad i get to see it with you, ____").

Colosseum starts with the protagonist, a member of a criminal organization, stealing a valuable piece of equipment then fleeing the base after destroying it with explosions.

Like...what? Where the hell did that come from?

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
Don't care at all for Darkrai/Luxray, Empoleon's sprite from behind wasn't very well done and its 3D model in gen 6 is bleh but it's okay (I prefer Piplup but don't find either memorable), and Leafeon is okay but not great imo

HOWEVER, I forgot Cresselia Shaymin and Glaceon were gen 4. Cresselia is just behind the Lati twins and tied with Gardevoir for my favorite Psychic, Shaymin (not sky forme) is adorable and so is Glaceon.
I see the quote is incomplete, I have a tendency to post first then edit in thoughts a minute later, sorry.
Glaceon? eh, to each their own
Shaymin (not sky forme)
wat
I can't unsee the derpy, deviantart MLP OC that Shaymin (SF) is
Hey thanks google/deviantart

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
some self notes about F throw
  • Kills later then U throw to my knowledge, although U throw kills pretty late
  • the end lag makes follow ups hard, unlike U throw which you can true combo U air and F air and catch DI with both of those moves
  • the traj angle makes it a poor choice when sending people back over the edge, haven't checked it's 75, 80 degree angle almost straight up, either way it's above 60, 65
  • the damage is practically the same as the other throws
  • it looks cool and doesn't feature grinding like sonic's d throw
Edit: if there is a use I really think those uses are better covered by other throws
According to this fthrow KOs earlier than uthrow. Mainly you have bthrow for side KOs, fthrow for star KOs, uthrow for combos, and dthrow for setups if they don't tech the landing.

Glaceon? eh, to each their own
I don't like it anywhere near as much as Cresselia or Shaymin, I just find it cute. My favorite Eeveelutions are Vaporeon, Umbreon, Espeon, and Sylveon (not exactly ordered but I like Vaporeon most).

I can't unsee the derpy, deviantart MLP OC that Shaymin (SF) is
oh dear god now it's even worse

I don't doubt your design choices in Pokes then ;3
Gen 4 also brought evos for pokes that didn't have like Magneton
Gen 5 killed that by introducing Eviolite I think?
Oh hey, missed this edit.

Gen 4's additional evolutions were all bleh to me. I love Magnemite/ton, but loathe Magnezone. And yes, Eviolite was introduced in gen 5.

Last edited:

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Are we ranking Pokemon generations?

5 > 4 > 2 > 6 > 3 > 1

I spent a lot more time playing the earlier gens than the later ones, but I tried to have that not affect my rankings.

5's biggest problem was weather teams dominating, but it also made Pokemon counterpicks interesting. I used to run Kingdra on neutral or Sandstorm teams just so I could handle rain teams easily. Other than that, if we're talking about the games, I actually have the full soundtrack on my iPod and I listen to it semi-frequently... I'd say once a week. The atmosphere, the relative difficulty, and the fact that it felt like Nintendo finally seemed to directly encourage competitive play is what did it for me. I'm not saying that they didn't try to make it competitive before, but gen 5 is when I finally felt like they were pushing Pokemon in a new direction.

Of course, this push started with gen 4, which had the absolute most important design change ever, which split types from physical/special attacks and made everything unique. I don't think Nintendo was pushing for a competitive edge here, but this was by far their most important change, and I don't think they'll see a change any more important. Platinum was a solid game. Diamond/Pearl were horrendously slow, but at the time they were decent.

Gen 2 introduced items. It did not introduce the biggest items, but it did bring some nice ones around. Leftovers, lolBrightpowder, berries, Focus Band (which led to the generally better Focus Sash), damage boosters, etc. It also introduced two types that would shape the meta for later on. Steel was the best defensive typing forever, and it remains a good one today that was actually a big part of 6's balancing, while Dark helped to end the Psychic shenanigans from gen 1. The special split was important, and although it did ruin some Pokemon for a few generations (Tangela), it brought balance to other Pokemon that would have been terrifying (see: Blissey and any Pokemon with 120+ Special Attack or Defense). The games themselves were also pretty good.

Gen 6 brought us a new type and Mega Evolutions, which are pretty interesting and make for decent gameplay. The problem I have with it is it also brought so many more banishes to Uber. I shouldn't care because we still have more Pokemon in regular play now than ever before, but with weather teams being soundly nerfed (and rightfully so) from gen 5, it just feels like every team was centralized around the Mega of choice. I guess it's better than being centralized around four particular weather Pokemon (five if you count Abomasnow, which I don't). I will say that the love Nintendo gave to their underdogs this time around was awesome, and I hope to see more of this as the power creep goes on.

Gen 3 introduced abilities and gave us a few more interesting decisions to make for some Pokemon. Of course, these have been refined over time so that just about every Pokemon with poor stats has some decent ability in case you ever find yourself using them. I placed it lower mostly because the gen 4 split had not happened yet, so you still saw atrocities like this where an otherwise decent Pokemon couldn't use their stats with their STAB or move diversity. This happened a bit in earlier games - think of Hitmonchan and elemental punches... and Flareon's 130 attack, which actually did not get real use until 6... - but it was significantly worse in 3, because this is when you really started to see more diversity with Pokemon thanks to abilities. That's one thing I didn't care for. I will say that I loved the game style of these and need to pick up OR/AS one day.

Gen 1 was the first game to come around, so it wouldn't be fair to judge them for the lack of competitive edge and balance. I will say that they still did a poor job with types. Seriously, one pure grass type, two grass/psychic types, and a billion grass/poison types? Only one non-pure Electric type? No pure rock types, with many of them sharing Ground? ... One dragon attack, which does set damage and doesn't even show players that dragon is super effective against dragon? I am sure most won't agree since we've come to love the original 151, but I think if we could just go back in time and diversify things up a bit, the series would have been even better.

Not that it's bad by any means now. I love all the games despite my rankings.

... tl;dr, yea yea.

Last edited:

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
Are we ranking Pokemon generations?

5 > 4 > 2 > 6 > 3 > 1

I spent a lot more time playing the earlier gens than the later ones, but I tried to have that not affect my rankings.

5's biggest problem was weather teams dominating, but it also made Pokemon counterpicks interesting. I used to run Kingdra on neutral or Sandstorm teams just so I could handle rain teams easily. Other than that, if we're talking about the games, I actually have the full soundtrack on my iPod and I listen to it semi-frequently... I'd say once a week. The atmosphere, the relative difficulty, and the fact that it felt like Nintendo finally seemed to directly encourage competitive play is what did it for me. I'm not saying that they didn't try to make it competitive before, but gen 5 is when I finally felt like they were pushing Pokemon in a new direction.

Of course, this push started with gen 4, which had the absolute most important design change ever, which split types from physical/special attacks and made everything unique. I don't think Nintendo was pushing for a competitive edge here, but this was by far their most important change, and I don't think they'll see a change any more important. Platinum was a solid game. Diamond/Pearl were horrendously slow, but at the time they were decent.

Gen 2 introduced items. It did not introduce the biggest items, but it did bring some nice ones around. Leftovers, lolBrightpowder, berries, Focus Band (which led to the generally better Focus Sash), damage boosters, etc. It also introduced two types that would shape the meta for later on. Steel was the best defensive typing forever, and it remains a good one today that was actually a big part of 6's balancing, while Dark helped to end the Psychic shenanigans from gen 1. The special split was important, and although it did ruin some Pokemon for a few generations (Tangela), it brought balance to other Pokemon that would have been terrifying (see: Blissey and any Pokemon with 120+ Special Attack or Defense). The games themselves were also pretty good.

Gen 6 brought us a new type and Mega Evolutions, which are pretty interesting and make for decent gameplay. The problem I have with it is it also brought so many more banishes to Uber. I shouldn't care because we still have more Pokemon in regular play now than ever before, but with weather teams being soundly nerfed (and rightfully so) from gen 5, it just feels like every team was centralized around the Mega of choice. I guess it's better than being centralized around four particular weather Pokemon (five if you count Abomasnow, which I don't). I will say that the love Nintendo gave to their underdogs this time around was awesome, and I hope to see more of this as the power creep goes on.

Gen 3 introduced abilities and gave us a few more interesting decisions to make for some Pokemon. Of course, these have been refined over time so that just about every Pokemon with poor stats has some decent ability in case you ever find yourself using them. I placed it lower mostly because the gen 4 split had not happened yet, so you still saw atrocities like this where an otherwise decent Pokemon couldn't use their stats with their STAB or move diversity. This happened a bit in earlier games - think of Hitmonchan and elemental punches... and Flareon's 130 attack, which actually did not get real use until 6... - but it was significantly worse in 3, because this is when you really started to see more diversity with Pokemon thanks to abilities. That's one thing I didn't care for. I will say that I loved the game style of these and need to pick up OR/AS one day.

Gen 1 was the first game to come around, so it wouldn't be fair to judge them for the lack of competitive edge and balance. I will say that they still did a poor job with types. Seriously, one pure grass type, two grass/psychic types, and a billion grass/poison types? Only one non-pure Electric type? No pure rock types, with many of them sharing Ground? ... One dragon attack, which does set damage and doesn't even show players that dragon is super effective against dragon? I am sure most won't agree since we've come to love the original 151, but I think if we could just go back in time and diversify things up a bit, the series would have been even better.

Not that it's bad by any means now. I love all the games despite my rankings.

... tl;dr, yea yea.
Gorl I like yew already

I thought I was the only one who didn't like gen 1

Soul.

Power Creep™ is a cool mechanic. At least for me...

We need more Colosseum-type Pokemon games. Pokemon games nowadays have you playing as a 5 year old kid surrounded by your preschool friends one of which is a random fat kid who likes dancing and another is a girl who has a little too much of a crush ("im so glad i get to see it with you, ____").

Colosseum starts with the protagonist, a member of a criminal organization, stealing a valuable piece of equipment then fleeing the base after destroying it with explosions.

Like...what? Where the hell did that come from?
If they made a Colosseum-like game with all the main series features, that would be like, the best Pokémon ever made in existence.

Top Bottom