• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Just saw the new Pokemon sun and moon corocoro leaks

what. the. **** are these absolutely terrifying ultra beasts?!

UB-01 was unnerving, but UB-02 Beauty is downright freaky.

Also the idea of Lillie befriending UB-01 is out the window for me. The three beasts share looks with Lillie Lusamine and Gladion for a reason.

But srsly they call it "beauty"

BEAUTY.

*instert the BEAUTY Rosalina image*

Edit: an observation I just made. If both new UBs are number 2, and they're both game exclusive, then does that mean that the one not in a particular game could be considered as never being observed in that universe? (I.E. Beauty is Moon exclusive, so does that mean Expansion figuratively "doesn't exist" to them in moon?)

Last edited:

Rion

Smash Journeyman
That feeling when you look back at Zelda in Project M and realized that even with all her initial amazing toolsets she was given, she still only averaged out to upper-mid tier at best.

And then was nerfed brutally back to low tier. Like literally 34th of 41 as of July 2016.

There are times I wonder about a "Project M" for Smash 4, but then I realize the community would never allow Zelda to be a decent character in the most obnoxious, loathsome way possible that could only be rivaled by a row of crying babies on a plane.

Seriously, if you've ever want to see some really hilariously bad and whiny arguments about Smash balance, look no further than Zelda PM. The amount of salt I remember was just inane.

One comment I vaguely remember was someone complaining about how Zelda's multihit smashes actually having reliable hit connection and not being able to DI out of on reaction was unfair. There's a lot more I'm sure (Din's Fire PM is a goldmine). Just thinking about it makes my blood pressure spike.

I'm honestly being serious when I ask, how can you make Zelda a good character? Sometimes it feels like you could give her actually crazy good things, but she'd still end up being just "decent". I just wonder sometimes.

Gosh, that ended up being really ranty haha. Sorry about that! I'm honestly pretty stoked to go home tomorrow to play some Smash at some point. I may have to ask for some games with you all!

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
Pharah is Egyptian, though

That's why she has the Wedjat on her eye

Last edited:

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
GGs EODM07 EODM07 ! I have the feeling I used waaay too many secondaries today..
It felt way more difficult since I didn't know how your playstyle was with each of them. Plus, I was being very dumb while we were playing.

I was fishing for too many Side Bs with Bayonetta and BAir with Lucina while you were in shield. Not good. :V
I also feel like I wasn't DI'ing correctly. So far out of all of your characters, the one that gave me the most trouble was obviously Mewtwo. I seriously think he stops me in my tracks, since he has good frame data, he outranges Lucina and they come out almost instantly, plus the projectile too.

Also, that Sheik combo was just disgusting, almost made me fall asleep as well. :secretkpop:

Last edited:

ElderLolz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Matze97
It felt way more difficult since I didn't know how your playstyle was with each of them. Plus, I was being very dumb while we were playing.

I was fishing for too many Side Bs with Bayonetta and BAir with Lucina while you were in shield. Not good. :V
I also feel like I wasn't DI'ing correctly. So far out of all of your characters, the one that gave me the most trouble was obviously Mewtwo. I seriously think he stops me in my tracks, since he has good frame data, he outranges Lucina and they come out almost instantly, plus the projectile too.
Out of your characters, your Bayo is the most frightening. But you tend to down-B a lot after a while so it became a bit easy to read. And don't worry, we all make mistakes, look at me for example. I picked up and main Zelda :secretkpop:
Also, that Sheik combo was just disgusting, almost made me fall asleep as well. :secretkpop:
NOW DON'T YOU SASS ME

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
That feeling when you look back at Zelda in Project M and realized that even with all her initial amazing toolsets she was given, she still only averaged out to upper-mid tier at best.

And then was nerfed brutally back to low tier. Like literally 34th of 41 as of July 2016.

There are times I wonder about a "Project M" for Smash 4, but then I realize the community would never allow Zelda to be a decent character in the most obnoxious, loathsome way possible that could only be rivaled by a row of crying babies on a plane.

Seriously, if you've ever want to see some really hilariously bad and whiny arguments about Smash balance, look no further than Zelda PM. The amount of salt I remember was just inane.

One comment I vaguely remember was someone complaining about how Zelda's multihit smashes actually having reliable hit connection and not being able to DI out of on reaction was unfair. There's a lot more I'm sure (Din's Fire PM is a goldmine). Just thinking about it makes my blood pressure spike.

I'm honestly being serious when I ask, how can you make Zelda a good character? Sometimes it feels like you could give her actually crazy good things, but she'd still end up being just "decent". I just wonder sometimes.

Gosh, that ended up being really ranty haha. Sorry about that! I'm honestly pretty stoked to go home tomorrow to play some Smash at some point. I may have to ask for some games with you all!
Literally my feelings about PM.
Their justification for nerfing her to the ground in 3.1 I think (maybe it was 3.6) was that "everyone got nerfed that patch"

Ooh scary we FINALLY toned down Fox's Usmash and that was all he got for nerfs that patch. Meanwhile Zelda got every tool toned down or crapped on under the guise of "design" and everyone just accepted it. Hell, people were even claiming that the nerfed Zelda was a better design or even a better character...LMAO HEW.

It was the alienation bomb that Zeldas were just waiting for to go off honestly. Just about every non-Melee character that was vaguely good was getting crapped on and their player base alienated. Zelda had two particular designers (Zhime and Ryoko) and when the larger group of devs basically told them their Zelda design didn't get to stand anymore, they both pretty much quit and so with it Zelda's design went into the hands of someone who was supposedly, "a closet Zelda." lolpls

He was able to say a lot of knowledgeable things and answer lots of questions regarding design choices, but he took her design in a different direction and homogenized her a lot with the rest of the game cast which just made her becaome worse and forgettable.

Literally Zeldas pre-nerf got flack for telling people to learn how to fight Zelda "because our character was not enough like other characters and the MU was thus not share-learned"

//RANT

Needless to say I dropped PM a long time ago, but a lot of othe SWF Zeldas did not, they handled it better, we're still friends, and they're all awesome

Rion

Smash Journeyman
Literally my feelings about PM.
Their justification for nerfing her to the ground in 3.1 I think (maybe it was 3.6) was that "everyone got nerfed that patch"

Ooh scary we FINALLY toned down Fox's Usmash and that was all he got for nerfs that patch. Meanwhile Zelda got every tool toned down or crapped on under the guise of "design" and everyone just accepted it. Hell, people were even claiming that the nerfed Zelda was a better design or even a better character...LMAO HEW.

It was the alienation bomb that Zeldas were just waiting for to go off honestly. Just about every non-Melee character that was vaguely good was getting crapped on and their player base alienated. Zelda had two particular designers (Zhime and Ryoko) and when the larger group of devs basically told them their Zelda design didn't get to stand anymore, they both pretty much quit and so with it Zelda's design went into the hands of someone who was supposedly, "a closet Zelda." lolpls

He was able to say a lot of knowledgeable things and answer lots of questions regarding design choices, but he took her design in a different direction and homogenized her a lot with the rest of the game cast which just made her becaome worse and forgettable.

Literally Zeldas pre-nerf got flack for telling people to learn how to fight Zelda "because our character was not enough like other characters and the MU was thus not share-learned"

//RANT

Needless to say I dropped PM a long time ago, but a lot of othe SWF Zeldas did not, they handled it better, we're still friends, and they're all awesome
Oh yeah! I totally remember this. Was the new designer named Magus? He was an associate of Ryoko's or something.

I remember reading his posts weirdly now that you mention it. They were always very "oh this is just common sense" or "let me loquaciously show you how this nerf was so justified" and then Zelda became ****. And then PM development shutdown.

Don't even get me started on the top tier Melee character priviledge, christ (poor Jigs though). Like literally through sheer power of being veteran hype machines and big name association alone can some of them stay relatively untouched.

Man, I watched MagicScrumpy's video about toning down melee Fox and it's so crazy the knee jerk reaction to making a frame 1 hitbox/invul shine to something somewhat reasonable.

"Yeah, it's OP but Fox takes years to master therefore justified!" Or "Oh my God, you made some of his match ups literally unwinnable because of this."

I remembered people complaining about PM Zelda's kill throw and how it was so unfair that one of the slowest regular grabbers in the game actually have a decent reward for a normally lackluster, crappy grabgame. It still boggles me that Mewtwo and Ness are allowed kill throws but Zelda has no really decent kill throws in every iteration of Smash.

I want Fox to get Zelda's Nayru's and see how they would react to that. Cripes, some Smash players can be so bloody selfish it's actually painful.

Last edited:

ElderLolz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Matze97
The reactions to nerfing Fox really show the selfishness and elitism that plagues the majority of the Melee player community.

Buddhahobo

Smash Lord
Isn't this the punch line of every smash story? LOL

that, or BAN•EVERYTHING
Obviously we just have to BAN•EVERYONE and Zelda will finally be top tier.

The reactions to nerfing Fox really show the selfishness and elitism that plagues the majority of the Melee player community.
Melee doesn't really factor into it considering how it was PM.

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
Tfw you finally unlock Hasty Attacks on Toon Zelda and you're ready to ban the world

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
tfw Sonic the Cutehog replies on another one of your videos, probably about the Sand Wand being a complete clone of the Dominion Rod this time
downloadfile.gif

I don't even want to look at it

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Am I like, the only person who appreciates Lucina as just a character rather than a "waifu"? Oh wait this is the internet not calling your favorite female characters your waifu is basically taboo.

Especially if you play Fire Emblem.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
When it comes to someone like Falco, Fox, or Marth, they would be in total support of making them broken as hell. Total hypocrisy.

I cannot support any community-influenced mod. I just can't when even with a really good development team, goals, or whatever, it's the inability of people to acknowledge broken and overpowered options and understand why they were removed or have been toned down. I really can't when the immediate solution to improving Falco in Brawl and Smash 4 is to just make him Melee Falco who is undoubtedly the most broken character in Smash as a whole. Seriously, how is his Dair, Blaster, Falco Phantasm, and Shine considered fair and well-designed moves? The fact the developers of Smash okayed those moves already makes me stand against them [the developers of Smash] when it comes to Falco in general -- Brawl and Smash 4 for other reasons.

I stand by that outside of Shine, Melee Fox was overpowered -- Up Smash and Uair -- and so were Melee Captain Falcon, Marth, Sheik, etc., Brawl Meta Knight, and paling in comparison, Smash 4 pre-patch Diddy. None of them were broken compared to Falco. Anyway, whenever these characters are understandably nerfed and re-tuned in sequels, people cry not just because their favorite character was nerfed, but because their character is no longer overpowered. And when other characters get buffed or re-tuned in sequels, they cry too with things like Zelda will become toxic to the game. *****, your goddamn spacies were toxic to Melee. Anyway, I digress.

I get why broken and overpowered options and characters are fun, but I can't understand why there's an almost instinctual need to always go back to them instead of figuring out ways to re-tune them.

I want Fox to get Zelda's Nayru's and see how they would react to that.
It would just become another Shine, but this time, it would literally be a Multi-Shine. :p

Last edited:

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
Which video is it?

I'll look at it and rate it from 0 to "Tear Out My Eyes And Pour In Bleach".
My guide on Toon Link's Light Sword. It's better to not look at it, it's just been 4 months of trying to find another person willing to call Toon Link a clone and I followed him onto some other places and he won't give it up, no matter what game it is. He also goes further to say Toon Link is the "weaker, slower clone" even after I shove frame data in his face and he just ignores it and continues chanting on. Also he was complaining about Tink being a clone because his rolling animation is a rip off of Link's which is just ????? how any ways are there to roll?
Anyways his comment was still about the Light Sword and not the Sand Wand surprisingly and he looks worse every time because NOBODY agrees with him.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
Yes, from trash tier waifu to utter garbage tier waifu :secretkpop:
With great awfulness comes great power, gorl.

I mean, just look at Zelda!
:secretkwhoopsitssadbecauseitstruecricri:

But on the subject of mods, I truly wish we had many more non-biased players. A more casual player who "plays them all" would probably be better at balancing than most people who main a sole character. It seems all too common that someone undersells their main so a win seems more impressive. Either that or they want their character to be good at many things and bad at just one... Or worse, none.

EX: Marth is in a good place. Jigglypuff is in a bad place. Could Marth use a buff? Perhaps a small one but he is not top priority. Could Jigglypuff use a buff?
*knock knock*
WHO'S THERE~?
Serious!
Serious WHO~?
Are you fricken serious, of course she does.
OH OK

Sakrai and Co. fleshed out each character to the point where it's obvious what they should be good at and what they shouldn't be. So all it'd take is a team of very rational people who look at solid data (hi frame data how r u doin???) to balance out the cast. No character is truly garbage in the same way they were in SSBB or even Melee. But they're still not viable and require some assistance.

I think only a few nerfs would need to happen. Though buffs for low tiers should come first, since those are the easiest and most obvious things to look at/decide.

Last edited:
Top Bottom