• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

MadCanard

Smash Apprentice
Is there any discussion on the Zelda boards about Din's Fire and the direction and knock back it can have depending on where you hit them?

I've never seen it spike except in BJN39 BJN39 's signature gif and wonder what it can and can't do.

KarmaCastle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KarmaCastle
Is there any discussion on the Zelda boards about Din's Fire and the direction and knock back it can have depending on where you hit them?

I've never seen it spike except in BJN39 BJN39 's signature gif and wonder what it can and can't do.
It knocks back relevant to where the opponent's hurtbox was hit. That din's is either a custom or edited gif.

If it explodes behind someone, they're knocked forward. Or if it exploded in front of them, they're knocked back.

If it explodes directly on them, there's a ton of variables but it will always launch up or away, never down. In fact if you release Dins when it's above someone, they may even get a boost and you can end up saving them. Launching downward would be a really cool mechanic though... Now that I think about it...

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
:150: perfect and superior being pokemon

:150:
more like purple **** up :150: of the :151: pink superior being
well, you're never gonna hit against an opponent that didn't fall asleep, so it's never been worth the effort for me
yew know what happens when two of yew'r friends like pokken a lot
yew end up liking pokken
but i have no weeb-yew
halp
  1. remember there is one character omitted :162:
  2. stop playing

Lord Renning

Smash Journeyman
Gorl I don't play Zelda for nothin'. If I win I'm going to win in style.

On a serious note, once you learn the 'sweet spots' of stages, maximum distance ledge cancelling is incredibly easy, safe, and reliable, and really can't be punished (you can literally act out of frame 1 because of the cancel mechanic) even if hard-read. Even if I've done it to an opponent often enough (I actually dair Peach in this same video out of a ledge cancel) that they expect it, they STILL have to react to it because I'm essentially hiding all my options. I can jump out of ledge cancel, I can ledge trump them, dair, or just nair to gimp weak recovery.

Ledge cancelling is incredibly vital to the longterm success of a Zelda, in my opinion. I try to ledge cancel even if it won't lead into anything because it WILL spook your opponent. Unless they're like, Zero.

Quick tip, on any FG or FD stage, it's a single step left/right of center stage. Same for T/C. Battlefield is standing on the left or right yellow lines that form the circle on the center of the field (left half > right side ledge cancel, right half > left side cancel, because the stage is smaller.) The other stages are harder to describe in text.
How do you practice it safely? Do you just hold over, or do you angle it down at all? Ever being one step away I still manage to kill myself half of the time.

Congrats Zolda!
Congratulations!

KarmaCastle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KarmaCastle
How do you practice it safely? Do you just hold over, or do you angle it down at all? Ever being one step away I still manage to kill myself half of the time.

Congratulations!
Just head to your favorite Omega stage or FD for starters and go the full maximum distance (hold left or right). Just start by walking with barely holding the directional stick to one direction or the other, stop, and up b then hold in the direction you're trying to ledge cancel on.

After like 5 minutes of failing you'll get a few, and then after 5 minutes of getting like 50/50 it'll come naturally.

Starting on stages with clear indicators like T/C, FD, or the Pokemon Temple thingy makes it a little easier.

Then it's just a matter of shaming your opponent with the flashiest kill imaginable.

(Bonus, once you start getting used to it, you can actually start running away, full hop and ledge cancelling behind you. But that's some top level shnazz.)

Last edited:

Congratulations!
Here's @S.F.L.R_9 's super old, super quick showcase of the ledge cancels on battlefield. Hopefully it'll give you some insight on the spatial awareness needed to pull it off.
Just head into training mode and look for those sweetspots. If you go into freefall, you're too close to the edge; if you land on the stage, you're too far from the ledge. I would start off with practicing them with the stick completely left or right, then move onto other trickier angles.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
You know, it's almost 5 AM and I'm so tired....this decision probably wasn't made at the best of times but....considering I played Link for a month this'll probably be all the more fun.

Starting today I'm gonna try this uh....thing. Let's do it. :4zelda:

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
I won't believe it until I see it.

GET ME PICTURES! PICTURES OF SPIDER-MAN FLANNEL'S FLANNEL SHEETS!
Or some other proof from the game like in-game text, that'll work too.
Personal experience He told me himself.

Literally my reaction

but then he gave me his prized hairball and all was forgiven

he also brought Benoit a dead bat.
It was a sign of hatred towards Benny, because it's...
:041::041::041:

Not even FE is safe from the 2nd Blue Annoying Waste Of Space. The 1st is obviously
:4greninja: bottomkek

jktho it's actually
:4sonic: DUH

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
Morning girls. How's everyone doing? :4zelda:

On early since I wanna get some of my work done before my TA visits, I already got an idea for what concept I'll be using for my T-shirt, and I can further develop it. I only have one piece of A4 Transfer Paper, but it doesn't have to be perfect, it can be a complete mess, and I'll still get marks for it. :yeahboi:

Also, I've been labbing with Braixen more, been trying to find combos that don't involve Assists. :3

Duel Phase:
(These combos do not require burst or enchancements)
2Y/2X > L > 8X, X/A
X > L > 8A
j.X > 2Y/2X > L > 8X, X/A
j.X > X > L > j.A

Field Phase:
4/6Y > L > j.A

Corner Combos:
Y, Y, Y > 6A [Enhanced] > 8A
j.X > X > 8X, X/A
4Y > 2X > 8A [Enhanced]
X+A > 8X, X/A > L+R [Burst Mode]

Mid Combos:
j.X (Charge) > 8X, X > 8A
Y, Y, Y > 6A [Enhanced] > 8X, XA
Y, Y, Y > 6A [Enhanced] > j.A

Dual Phase Shift combo:
X+A (Charge) > 6/8Y > Grab Reset

Last edited:

LonkQ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ammoro
Oh baby, today's gonna be good. Get to start off new Wii U action with Smash and Pokken. Be prepared.:4feroy:

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Just your daily reminder that even mid tiers and low tiers characters get nerfed if people start calling something they have broken :4link: :4bowser:

So when you go and talk about Finger Bang just don't go say it's broken or "better than Diddy's" or anything like that. ;) Besides it really isn't better than Diddy's so we shouldn't have to lose it.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Really? I think she's much better as a prior Samus experimenter guy.

Having a Dash Attack that works but mostly a front facing aerial that KILLS REALLY WELL (HELLOOO NAIR) is awesome.

Also her Ftilt is amazing now <3
I suppose you could sort of pull a Vipermoon64 and claim her buffs just improve her good matchups without doing much to solve her bad ones... but then most of them got nerfed fairly hard, especially Meta Knight which was considered her worst I believe.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I suppose you could sort of pull a Vipermoon64 and claim her buffs just improve her good matchups without doing much to solve her bad ones... but then most of them got nerfed fairly hard, especially Meta Knight which was considered her worst I believe.
I WOULD say that but her NAir killing and the better CQC/burst option dash attack provides alongside its reduced endlag and its ability with the new hitbox to combo off of Zair (!!!!!) is like....HRNGH SO ****ING GOOOOD

At the very least she's even more fun

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
MK's Uair combo still woks on Samus lmao.
I'm not sure if it still kills her, but at least the 40+ damage is dealt
:196:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I WOULD say that but her NAir killing and the better CQC/burst option dash attack provides alongside its reduced endlag and its ability with the new hitbox to combo off of Zair (!!!!!) is like....HRNGH SO ****ING GOOOOD

At the very least she's even more fun
Also the less laggy grabs. Fun fact: her dash grab is actually less laggy than ZSS's now.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Yeah but really they actually buffed the hell out of Samus.

That's the kind of thing Zelda needed tbh. The difference for her is that none of Zelda's moves that 'weren't' moves really 'became' moves after this patch. No major change gave her a new gameplay idea like Samus's Dash attack/NAir gave her. 2F off of Ftilt startup was the bare minimum to give Ftilt.

Marth's Ftilt hits two frames faster, two frames longer, covers a massive arc in front of him, (without angling needed) has no major limb extension, AND has 4F less endlag. (2 frames less endlag on hit) In return it does 1% less on the sour-spot, BUT CAN STILL KO.

Another to a lesser extent is Bowser's Ftilt. His arm is intangible when extended on Ftilt, the move has no sour-spot, longer hit duration (and thus shorter vulnerable endlag) can KO, (albeit, probably slightly weaker than Zelda's) longer range than Zelda's no doubt, same hit/FAF.

Petition to reduce the endlag of Zelda's Ftilt by 3F.

I can argue the crap out of Zelda buffs. Come at me.

Last edited:

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Decrease her landing lag.
That alone would be a huge boost on her gameplay.
Landing lag decrease of NAir to 13F alone would be dangerously good.

Tbh i'd prioritize other changes to LKs before landing lag first. Only because I think it's impossible at this point for the frame data of the move to be buffed under Sakurai's design. It might be imbalanced. *eyeroll*

Besides it would need really large frame data buffs.

Other things to think of would be sweet-spot size and sour-spot damage/KB increases.

I'd totally freak out though if they made LKs SHAC. That would be a lot of frames to reduce on the landing lag window though. Like, from frame 50/52 AC to frame 41...

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
See, my last post was a lazy "solution". She would be good only with that, but most likely not balanced at all.

If I were to ACTUALLY work on her, I'd probably do at least two of these:
-DIN'S FIRE NOT CAUSING A FREE FALL
-Make her Smashes more Brawl-like, having U- and F- working as walls being bigger and/or having slightly less lag.
-Din's Fire faster to explode after releasing the button. I don't like what PM did to it.
-Tweaks to Phantom. Not sure how many, maybe just hitbox adjustments; making it to store charge looks like a bit too much imo

And that's just the first stuff that was at the top of my mind.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Landing lag decrease of NAir to 13F alone would be dangerously good.

Tbh i'd prioritize other changes to LKs before landing lag first. Only because I think it's impossible at this point for the frame data of the move to be buffed under Sakurai's design. It might be imbalanced. *eyeroll*

Besides it would need really large frame data buffs.

Other things to think of would be sweet-spot size and sour-spot damage/KB increases.

I'd totally freak out though if they made LKs SHAC. That would be a lot of frames to reduce on the landing lag window though. Like, from frame 50/52 AC to frame 41...
Removing a lot of Nair's landing lag just has to happen (14F should be the absolute minimum), as should an icnrease of damage and knockback on her sourspots. I want them to do 8-10 damage and be able to kill at about 150-160 near the ledge (so it would kill at like 190 from the middle lol) without rage. Her Fair and Bair should have been more like her Dair in that her Dair sourspot is just "ok" and the sweetspot is amazing. That's not the case now: her Fair/Bair sweetspot is amazing (but even then, rising Fair/Bair on shield is still unsafe) but the sourspot is absolute trash and can get you punished on hit. That's bull****. Increase the duration of her sourspot by a few frames and make them much more rewarding.

Less lag on Ftilt should have happened but I must say I really like this move now. Very good range, good disjoint, strong... This was a good change.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
See, my last post was a lazy "solution". She would be good only with that, but most likely not balanced at all.

If I were to ACTUALLY work on her, I'd probably do at least two of these:
-Make her Smashes more Brawl-like, having U- and F- working as walls being bigger and/or having slightly less lag.
-Din's Fire faster to explode after releasing the button. I don't like what PM did to it.
-Tweaks to Phantom. Not sure how many, maybe just hitbox adjustments; making it to store charge looks like a bit too much imo

And that's just the first stuff that was at the top of my mind.
Tbh reducing the landing lag of at least NAir is not just a lazy solution.

We were begging for it since before the damage increase.

It's not like the landing NAir combos give you all 15% anyways. 10% at absolute best.

Zelda should be broken tbh just as revenge for her design injustices. :secretkpop:

Removing a lot of Nair's landing lag just has to happen (14F should be the absolute minimum), as should an icnrease of damage and knockback on her sourspots. I want them to do 8-10 damage and be able to kill at about 150-160 near the ledge (so it would kill at like 190 from the middle lol) without rage. Her Fair and Bair should have been more like her Dair in that her Dair sourspot is just "ok" and the sweetspot is amazing. That's not the case now: her Fair/Bair sweetspot is amazing (but even then, rising Fair/Bair on shield is still unsafe) but the sourspot is absolute trash and can get you punished on hit. That's bull****. Increase the duration of her sourspot by a few frames and make them much more rewarding.

Less lag on Ftilt should have happened but I must say I really like this move now. Very good range, good disjoint, strong... This was a good change.
I'm personally looking to see her sweet-spot actually land when you aim for them. They don't work that way atm.

I'd honestly be fine with the sour-spot only doing 1% more at 5% if the KB was edited to not be "free punish" on hit all day.

KO power on the sour-spots seems a bit much to me tho. Tbf though I thought 11% damage on Jab was excessive, doesn't mean I'd reject it should Sakutena bless us so :^)

Last edited:

SBphiloz4

Gatekeeper of the Shadows
NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
tbh if you want to give zelda a solid buff

removing din's fire would be amazing

so we don't accidentally SD when trying to b-reverse nayru's

too bad that would remove the Side B -> Up B true combo tho

Top Bottom