• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
ITT everyone saying cd-i games were terrible despite never playing them

At the very least the cd-i games have fantastic music (I'm not kidding)

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Or maybe they took a feature from a game that people liked, but not many knew about it, but this time make it useful. Fan service? I see it as simply reusing a feature. Every. Freaking. Zelda game does that.
Peach floating in 3d World is reusing a feature. Lighting torches in 3d World to access a hidden room where there is a 16 bit Link is Zelda fan service. Twilight Princess lands closer to lighting torches than Peach floating.

There's a lot more than bomb arrows as fan service in TP. Almost everything in that game is a nod to previous titles. It even had a Smash bros reference. -_____-

Edit: Not against fan service. Hyrule Warriors is probably amazingly fun and serves that purpose very well (haven't gotten around to getting it yet). But if you're going to make a console Zelda, it should be at the standard that has been established by console Zelda games. The fan service detracted from any originality/development Twilight Princess contributed to the series.

Last edited:

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533
ITT everyone saying cd-i games were terrible despite never playing them

At the very least the cd-i games have fantastic music (I'm not kidding)
Anyone who says they suck and haven't played them are Ganon-Banned. That's why I don't voice my opinion on them. Out of curiosity, has anyone been Ganon-Banned? I have, I used to spell it like "Gannon"

Rukia

Enamored
Me and my friend actually missed a part. We forgot that Awakening is set many, many years after Shadow Dragon, so if Marth were to have a daughter, she wouldn't be able to give birth to Chrom since she'd probably be dead. Our next theory was that this game may star the children of the children from Fire Emblem Awakening. The red haired girl may be the daughter of Severa (The red haired girl's face in this next game looks cold and rude, like Severa). The Inigo look-a-like may be the son of Inigo (For obvious reasons). The maid girl may be the daughter of Gerome (This new girl is a maid and so is Cherche). The blonde guy seen at the end and throughout parts of the trailer may be the son of Owain. The sworduser girl seen in the beginning who I forgot to mention may be the daughter of Cynthia (Both seem really bubbly and happy). And lastly the blue haired girl may be the daughter of Lucina. Also supporting this is the fact that this new game looks more modern than Awakening. I honestly don't know what this game will be but im sure as hell excited! ^o^

- Inigo look a like. http://prntscr.com/5skcax
- A maid like Cherche. http://prntscr.com/5skcft
- Chrom's father? Almost the same facial expression. http://prntscr.com/5skclz
- A pegasus knight with hair almost like Cordelia's. http://prntscr.com/5skd02

As Marth's descendants, the blue haired dancer most likely has the prince's blood running through her veins, though she doesn't exactly share the same hair color has the ancient prince, she looks extremely similar to Lucina, so it could be her grandmother, or her daughter, or possibly a descendant in general.

However, I myself prefer if it were not a sequel or a prequel. Awakening had some very strong points, but I definitely would rather have a new story, with new characters, and a new setting.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

- Inigo look a like. http://prntscr.com/5skcax
- A maid like Cherche. http://prntscr.com/5skcft
- Chrom's father? Almost the same facial expression. http://prntscr.com/5skclz
- A pegasus knight with hair almost like Cordelia's. http://prntscr.com/5skd02

As Marth's descendants, the blue haired dancer most likely has the prince's blood running through her veins, though she doesn't exactly share the same hair color has the ancient prince, she looks extremely similar to Lucina, so it could be her grandmother, or her daughter, or possibly a descendant in general.

However, I myself prefer if it were not a sequel or a prequel. Awakening had some very strong points, but I definitely would rather have a new story, with new characters, and a new setting.
I actually just found out the names of the characters (seen in the trailer).
These are the names (I wonder which names belong to who):

• Felicia
  • Gans
  • Hinoka
  • Kamui
  • Kazahana
  • Max
  • Rinka

Last edited by a moderator:

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533
Peach floating in 3d World is reusing a feature. Lighting torches in 3d World to access a hidden room where there is a 16 bit Link is Zelda fan service. Twilight Princess lands closer to lighting torches than Peach floating.

There's a lot more than bomb arrows as fan service in TP. Almost everything in that game is a nod to previous titles. It even had a Smash bros reference. -_____-

Edit: Not against fan service. Hyrule Warriors is probably amazingly fun and serves that purpose very well (haven't gotten around to getting it yet). But if you're going to make a console Zelda, it should be at the standard that has been established by console Zelda games. The fan service detracted from any originality/development Twilight Princess contributed to the series.
That 8-bit Link analogy might be valid, but reusing bomb arrows is not comparable (or any other thing in it, besides The Hero of Time training you.) To bomb arrows. The difference? 8-bit Link isn't lore friendly, nor does it make any sense. Bomb arrows is completely possible. I guess every Zelda game that has the Master Sword is Fan service then.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
That 8-bit Link analogy might be valid, but reusing bomb arrows is not comparable (or any other thing in it, besides The Hero of Time training you.) To bomb arrows. The difference? 8-bit Link isn't lore friendly, nor does it make any sense. Bomb arrows is completely possible. I guess every Zelda game that has the Master Sword is Fan service then.
You're right, things from the lore make sense. Recurring features make Zelda. Wouldn't be Zelda without a hookshot/clawshot or a bow and arrow. Reusing critical parts of past Zelda games keeps Zelda from becoming Metroid. Conversely, reusing non-critical parts of past Zelda games/lore is extra fluff.

Reusing bomb arrows is much more comparable to reusing Link's forward smash from super smash bros as the "Mortal Draw."

Tell me that wasn't fan service.

Also, the Hawkeye. Completely unnecessary. Just be a better sniper.

Last edited:

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533
You're right, things from the lore make sense. Recurring features make Zelda. Wouldn't be Zelda without a hookshot/clawshot or a bow and arrow. Reusing critical parts of past Zelda games keeps Zelda from becoming Metroid. Conversely, reusing non-critical parts of past Zelda games/lore is extra fluff.

Reusing bomb arrows is much more comparable to reusing Link's forward smash from super smash bros as the "Mortal Draw."

Tell me that wasn't fan service.
Could be, and I'm not saying TP is totally 0% fan service. But you make it sound like it's %100 fan service. In a bad way. A Link Between Worlds, in my opinion, is mostly fan service. When I played TP, I didn't go "Wow, what fan service. Such bad game." I went "Oh, kinda neat." But really only to THoT, Skull kid and something else I forgot. Other than that, the game was awesome. In other words, it's definately not as bad as you make it ought to be.

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
To me, Zelda is defined by nonlinear exploration, intricate dungeon and boss designs, and a soundtrack that's either charming or epic. Much more than items being the same. Granted, I've never found items to be problems of any kind in the series. It's a lack of one of the previous mentioned that's a more serious transgression.

We could go a game without the Master Sword, or one that doesn't put so much of the plot's central focus on strengthening Link's sword.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Could be, and I'm not saying TP is totally 0% fan service. But you make it sound like it's %100 fan service. In a bad way. A Link Between Worlds, in my opinion, is mostly fan service. When I played TP, I didn't go "Wow, what fan service. Such bad game." I went "Oh, kinda neat." But really only to THoT, Skull kid and something else I forgot. Other than that, the game was awesome. In other words, it's definately not as bad as you make it ought to be.
All he originally said was that bomb arrows were fanservice, and he didn't even say it was a bad thing.

When I saw bomb arrows in TP my first thought was "Hah, that's a neat reference to Link's Awakening"

Everyone else I talked to about it at the time had the same thoughts, and we all thought it was great that Nintendo took an exploit and made it a feature in a (much) later game.

Fanservice isn't a bad thing.

Rizen

Smash Legend
The title should say "We gonna party like it's on sale for $19.99".
Anyone want to wifi? I need to learn the Zelda MU.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Saying TP is bad because it's realistic, because of popular demand, because of WW's art style, can barely be a valid opinion. That's like saying A Link to the past is bad because it's old, and not 3D. I wouldn't judge a game that's part of a series that focuses on story, based on graphics. Go ahead, you can, but that's just my logic.
I'm not saying it's bad cause of graphics (the game actually is really pretty), I'm saying it's bad because it's trying to be something it didn't need to be and suffered both in originality and mechanics. Which is a weird argument, but to put it simple Nintendo's "new" mechanics to the game were never fully flushed out.

For example:
one of the main mechanics in the game is link turning into a wolf, but the wolf never progresses past picking up sticks and some sort of Homing attack. Even though the wolf is fully original, the gameplay for it doesn't feel fully flushed out and the game sticks so hard to other Zelda games which is focusing heavy on items to complete puzzles. Rather then the wolf using magic okami style (I haven't played that don't quiz me) or focusing on faster combat and puzzles more akin to a wolf's talents, the wolf instead is just link with out items

Fanservice isn't a bad thing.
It is when it feels like it controlled development and design in the game or in some cases the design of some characters.
There's a reason me and my sis just call Cia boobs instead. Team ninja is almost infamous in there depiction of women.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
It is when it feels like it controlled development and design in the game or in some cases the design of some characters.
There's a reason me and my sis just call Cia boobs instead. Team ninja is almost infamous in there depiction of women.
*Fanservice doesn't have to be a bad thing.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Since the discussion was bomb arrows, I'd like a "Yes, I'll admit that was fan service." But changing the topic is fine too.

TP wasn't a bad game. But I hold Zelda games to a higher standard. I came away from TP mostly feeling like I had played a mashup of previous Zelda titles with nothing excitingly new added except for maybe the double clawshot. It was a satisfying game like comfort food, but it didn't wow me with anything I hadn't seen before like all Zelda games that I've played have done. (Just missing 4 swords adventures, Ages, Spirit Tracks... and WW, don't hate me) Not many things are more satisfying than delivering a finishing blow and then sheathing your sword like a badass while your enemy blows up in the background.

Bluecrow gets it. Read his post, it's much more pointed.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
*Fanservice doesn't have to be a bad thing.
perfect I'll agree

Edit:
Being someone who has a brother and would totally do this sort of thing.
I think the funny part is my sis' favorite character to play is Cia. she's also a Zero suit player and she gets upset when I say "I found the fan service" when fan service samus hits the screen

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
So you mean Skyward Sword.

Spinner was cool, but insanely useless outside of its dungeon. Same with the Dominion Rod. Oh, and don't get me started with the ball & chain.

PS: Bomb arrows? Link's Awakening says hello. #fanservice

Edit: ALBW was aight. Free exploration was cool as were the 3d puzzles. But there was no challenge and nothing was really memorable in that game. It's bad when you don't remember the main antagonist's name and remember the treasure hunts more than some of the dungeons.
Except that Skyward Sword was motion-based and focused on location hitting over having different techniques like Helm Splitter and Back Slash.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Except that Skyward Sword was motion-based and focused on location hitting over having different techniques like Helm Splitter and Back Slash.
Ahh, I see you played the gamecube version. I'm personally a fan of motion controls (Prime series on Wii > GC) so the location (horizontal vs vertical vs stab) was something I enjoyed in TP and even moreso in SS, although stabbing sometimes was frustrating for me. Finishing blow on Wii was satisfying as hell as was arrow sniping.

The techniques like Helm Splitter and Back Slash (WW reference lol) were all really cool and I agree... definitely could've been used more. Again, if they fleshed that out and made enemies use this new combat system I would've found the game much better. But nope. I honestly think Twilight Princess would've been a great PvP game with its combat system. Definitely would need tweaking, but the foundation is there.

Rukia

Enamored
Heeeey Fourier! :)

Also that thing in your status...I think it's magenta. Or we could just call it prank pink/purple.

EDIT: Took this page with style.
It's you! Friend! You're alive! Oh, RICK! *slowly runs through the meadow*

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
My two preteen sisters are disgusted by breasts; it's hilarious. They'd visibly cringe whenever they see either closeups or pronounced milk jugs. They hate me for picking Cia in HW or ZSS + Fusion alt in Smash.

Lol, there was this one time I joked about my fiancee's while we were together in my room, not knowing the two were nearby and eavesdropping. Those adorable little hellions freaking told my mom. That lecture she gave me, I felt like killing myself.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I'm not saying it's bad cause of graphics (the game actually is really pretty), I'm saying it's bad because it's trying to be something it didn't need to be and suffered both in originality and mechanics. Which is a weird argument, but to put it simple Nintendo's "new" mechanics to the game were never fully flushed out.

For example:
one of the main mechanics in the game is link turning into a wolf, but the wolf never progresses past picking up sticks and some sort of Homing attack. Even though the wolf is fully original, the gameplay for it doesn't feel fully flushed out and the game sticks so hard to other Zelda games which is focusing heavy on items to complete puzzles. Rather then the wolf using magic okami style (I haven't played that don't quiz me) or focusing on faster combat and puzzles more akin to a wolf's talents, the wolf instead is just link with out items
I think the mechanics work well but some people didn't like the wolf parts. The aiming was fantastic, sword play/items was good with hidden skills and not too much motion controls to be awkward. The shield bash and spin as motion controls got confused so that could have been better.
I like the wolf parts. I think they were fresh and had good difficulty progression as the twilight areas got bigger and harder. Then the freedom to switch from human to wolf made for interesting tactics when walking on snow or running where Epona couldn't go.
Zeldas aren't really big on originality but that's not their thing. Most Zeldas go by the ALttP plot with minor variations.
/my 2 cents

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533
Since the discussion was bomb arrows, I'd like a "Yes, I'll admit that was fan service." But changing the topic is fine too.

TP wasn't a bad game. But I hold Zelda games to a higher standard. I came away from TP mostly feeling like I had played a mashup of previous Zelda titles with nothing excitingly new added except for maybe the double clawshot. It was a satisfying game like comfort food, but it didn't wow me with anything I hadn't seen before like all Zelda games that I've played have done. (Just missing 4 swords adventures, Ages, Spirit Tracks... and WW, don't hate me) Not many things are more satisfying than delivering a finishing blow and then sheathing your sword like a badass while your enemy blows up in the background.

Bluecrow gets it. Read his post, it's much more pointed.
I never said bomb arrows were fan service. They aren't. And I thought we were talking about fan service in general in TP. If bomb arrows is fan service, then The Ocarina of Time is fan service. Oh, and the Master sword is too. It was in a past game, so it's fan service. Maybe I'm not understanding you here, because I'm not entirely seeing your point. Arguing what's fan service is and isn't is kind of pointless anyway. Say I lost the argument if you want, I just don't want this to get out of hand. But I still don't believe TP is full of "fan service" anyway. :p I think it might really come down to opinion, apparently.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
I never said bomb arrows were fan service. They aren't. And I thought we were talking about fan service in general in TP. If bomb arrows is fan service, then The Ocarina of Time is fan service. Oh, and the Master sword is too. It was in a past game, so it's fan service. Maybe I'm not understanding you here, because I'm not entirely seeing your point. Arguing what's fan service is and isn't is kind of pointless anyway. Say I lost the argument if you want, I just don't want this to get out of hand. But I still don't believe TP is full of "fan service" anyway. :p I think it might really come down to opinion, apparently.
I thought our discussion narrowed to bomb arrows... but meh. I took your "could be" as an unwillingness to say "yes" which is a poor assumption on my part. Apologies.

I agree this comes down to opinion. I just think TP has a lot of fluff that is unncessary and that fluff is emphasized more than the core game and innovations (like the combat system and the wolf). I see a lot of that fluff as fan service, along with some things like bomb arrows which were incorporated as a meaningful thing (needed in the... water... ice temple? It's been a while) which is why I bring up that it's fan service. People who enjoy the Zelda series will appreciate the fluff a lot more than people who are new to it. Take away the fluff and I don't think it stands up to other Zelda games favorably, whereas ALBW does decently (although I agree that it wasn't really as fantastic a game as it was hyped up to be).

Cenizas

The Zelda We Need, But Not the One We Deserve
3DS FC
1032-1809-6196
About the new FE, I'm surprised no one has said anything about the game trying to incorporate a feudal style this time around. In the trailer, it seems that the majority of swordsmen were using one-edged blades. And then there was preppy ninja girl and the map they were fighting on. Also a few of my hopes for the new game include a new class for a lord that we haven't had before, preferably something like a dancer or cleric. And maybe they'll actually give us legit multiplayer unlike that bs they gave us in Awakening. Another Robin would be nice too, but without as much prevalence in the story. Seriously though, I REALLY want the dancer girl to be the new lord, she's gotta be gotta be important enough if they thought she was worthy of being animated.

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
In the respect that Locke and bluecrow are realizing fan service, OoT was largely fan service. What defined it was the overwhelming experience; it was unlike anything ever seen in gaming prior to it. The plot formula was roughly same as ALTTP, the world was less content-packed, the bosses were easier, but it still blew everyone's mind. Fighting Ganon under the dark, stormy clouds, with Zelda screaming every time Link was hit, was moment forever etched in people's memories about OoT. Navigating the deep waters of Lake Hylia was an experience. Climbing to the top of Death Mountain, with Kakariko Village visible at the foot of the mountain, was an experience.

OoT's magic is long gone, it doesn't seem anywhere near stellar by our standards now. A flaw its immediate successor, MM, and spiritual sequel, WW, has well averted.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I don't see more fluff and fanservice in TP than other Zelda games. Zeldas often retell the same basic story and have the dungeon formula but they are dungeon buster games. I mean when I play a Zelda game it's because I want to play a Zelda game, lol.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Ahh, I see you played the gamecube version. I'm personally a fan of motion controls (Prime series on Wii > GC) so the location (horizontal vs vertical vs stab) was something I enjoyed in TP and even moreso in SS, although stabbing sometimes was frustrating for me. Finishing blow on Wii was satisfying as hell as was arrow sniping.

The techniques like Helm Splitter and Back Slash (WW reference lol) were all really cool and I agree... definitely could've been used more. Again, if they fleshed that out and made enemies use this new combat system I would've found the game much better. But nope. I honestly think Twilight Princess would've been a great PvP game with its combat system. Definitely would need tweaking, but the foundation is there.
It wouldn't even need to be as complex as Bayonetta, DMC, or even God of War. Look at the first Darksiders game and the combat was simple, but interactive - it's also, basically, an homage and a fusion of Zelda, DMC, God of War, and later with the sequel, Prince of Persia. It was like what since I haven't played for a while? Pause combos and directional input. That was it. Hell, that was what DMC1 and 2 were and before evolving to 3 and 4's level of insanity and complexity.

I love Zelda, especially Skyward Sword Zelda 'cause she's a cutie... Anyway, I like the games, but I don't like how combat more or less stayed the same with new ideas being dropped constantly. Parrying? Yeah, like for Wind Waker and Skyward Sword technically through shield bashes. New combat skills? I'm only aware of I believe Minish Cap and Twilight Princess. Combat in both 2D and 3D Zelda pretty much stayed the same aside from one or two new things. You don't combo, but turtle and hit back. Even Demon's/Dark Souls has a better system for that...

Zelda Wii U seems to focus on archery. Cool. I kind of want a Zelda that focuses on magic making Link into a magic swordsman, a Zelda that focuses on stealth making Link a swift, parry, and counter fighter, a Robin Hood-like thief, a Zelda focused on exploring making Link like a traceur/free-runner, climber, and well, a treasure hunter.

He was a sailor in Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass, a train conductor in Spirit Tracks, a wolf in TP, a Loftwing pilot? in SS, and a dimension shifter in ALBW. Link was never, as a focus, an archer and horseman until now, or a climber, diver, mage, or thief. He was also not really a swordsman until TP. Each Link are reincarnations, but they don't have to be the same and each could have defining and unique traits.

I just feel like there was a missed opportunity to make combat more in TP. An expanded moveset, attacks that are differentiated by area coverage and individual focused. That would have set TP even more apart from the other games even if it was like OoT, but grittier. Hey, at least the combat would have been much more interesting.

Funny how a spin-off did better combat which is even funnier since the same happened to Metal Gear Rising, the game before Revengeance was completed by Platinum Games. Kojima Productions knew how to make stealth, shooter, and mecha combat games, but not something like DMC or Demon's Souls. Y'know, I feel like devs should study with other devs. The military does that with their exchanges.

Last edited:
Top Bottom