• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533
A lot of Zelda games have fan service, actually. I guess what I was misunderstanding from Locke was TP emphasizes it more. Which I guess is true? I haven't played the game in a while myself. As I've said before, ALBW emphasizes it the most imo. And Ocarina of Time was actually not as enjoyable the first time. It was one of my first, so I didn't know much on the lore to understand it. But for some reason, my first run in Majora's mask was amazing. I loved it. And I can play it over and over with the same excitement. I love it.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I feel like most Zelda games are similar but a matter of preference. They all have their fluff, new and old ideas. Things like TP had the Wolf and a darker, more knightly take on the series. SS was lighter but had fillers like the robot fetch quests, silent realms, songs, etc. WW had sailing, which could be considered a big filler or a fun new mechanic based on opinion. Some zeldas are more agreeable to be the better of the series but it's largely preference to say what's good or fluff.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
In the respect that Locke and bluecrow are realizing fan service, OoT was largely fan service. What defined it was the overwhelming experience; it was unlike anything ever seen in gaming prior to it. The plot formula was roughly same as ALTTP, the world was less content-packed, the bosses were easier, but it still blew everyone's mind. Fighting Ganon under the dark, stormy clouds, with Zelda screaming every time Link was hit, was moment forever etched in people's memories about OoT. Navigating the deep waters of Lake Hylia was an experience. Climbing to the top of Death Mountain, with Kakariko Village visible at the foot of the mountain, was an experience.

OoT's magic is long gone, it doesn't seem anywhere near stellar by our standards now. A flaw its immediate successor, MM, and spiritual sequel, WW, has well averted.
you want me to give OoT crap too? man I'm gonna be busy tonight

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Don't give crap to ALTTP. So many people will get angry. Probably more than OoT.
I actually have very little beef with aLttP, it improved a lot from it's predecessor. But I Haven't gotten to play fully through it and I have played games that screwed up the second half heavily after the first half (looking at you FE:A)

Fine... As you wish, mother bluecrow.
I'd like to think I'd be a good father. Although I am much to young to be one

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
On the discussion you buncha guys are having about the flaws of the Zelda series, first I don't think critiquing a game is necessarily "giving crap" to it, so long as it's done thoughtfully and objectively. I wrote a super long essay on what I thought were the flaws of Ocarina of Time from purely a game design PoV the other day, which you could argue should be handwaved by saying "it was a pioneer of its time," except a lot of other games with great gameplay integration had come out by the time OoT did, so you could have put a little bit more expectations on the devs. It was, however, a very memorable experience like no other back then.

The thng is, however, that save from Majora's Mask and A Link Between Worlds, every other Zelda game after OoT has perpetrated the same design flaws their N64 predecessor had, and, leaving Wind Waker aside, they've been worse than the one before each. You can't deny Zelda games have become increasingly easy ever since OoT came out, save perhaps for Majora's Mask (which IMO is much harder than OoT) and ALBW depending on how you play the game.

This happens because the games stopped letting you roam around and they instead became a linear progression of events through which the story guides you by the hand. Also, all the dungeons having the same item-defeats-boss-after-three-hits formula is just too old and lame now for any of the bosses to be anything near memorable. You could pass it in OoT because, well, it was NEW, but save for the ones in MM every boss in Zelda is super forgettable because none of them presents any real challenge nor in their puzzle or combat sides.

Where am I going with all this? I dunno :'D

Last edited:

micstar615

Smash Ace
- Inigo look a like. http://prntscr.com/5skcax
- A maid like Cherche. http://prntscr.com/5skcft
- Chrom's father? Almost the same facial expression. http://prntscr.com/5skclz
- A pegasus knight with hair almost like Cordelia's. http://prntscr.com/5skd02

As Marth's descendants, the blue haired dancer most likely has the prince's blood running through her veins, though she doesn't exactly share the same hair color has the ancient prince, she looks extremely similar to Lucina, so it could be her grandmother, or her daughter, or possibly a descendant in general.

However, I myself prefer if it were not a sequel or a prequel. Awakening had some very strong points, but I definitely would rather have a new story, with new characters, and a new setting.
OMG! Some of those just can't be a coincidence! That Pegasus knight has to be related to Cordelia/Severa in some way, it's just obvious, why would there be another red headed Pegasus knight? Also some people were saying that the guy who looks like Inigo is actually the Avatar, because apparently they say his name in regards to a female in another piece of text, someone posted it on sereneforest. I honestly REALLY don't want the characters to be related to the Ylisse characters, I miss when every FE game had a seperate cast in a seperate continent, it gives the game it's own feel and it leaves the future of the previous cast up to the player's interpretation. Having all the games be connected makes the whole thing seem redundant and it leaves stories and characters limited.

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
On the discussion you buncha guys are having about the flaws of the Zelda series, first I don't think critiquing a game is necessarily "giving crap" to it, so long as it's done thoughtfully and objectively. I wrote a super long essay on what I thought were the flaws of Ocarina of Time from purely a game design PoV the other day, which you could argue should be handwaved by saying "it was a pioneer of its time," except a lot of other games with great gameplay integration had come out by the time OoT did, so you could have put a little bit more expectations on the devs. It was, however, a very memorable experience like no other back then.

The thng is, however, that save from Majora's Mask and A Link Between Worlds, every other Zelda game after OoT has perpetrated the same design flaws their N64 predecessor had, and, leaving Wind Waker aside, they've been worse than the one before each. You can't deny Zelda games have become increasingly easy ever since OoT came out, save perhaps for Majora's Mask (which IMO is much harder than OoT) and ALBW depending on how you play the game.

This happens because the games stopped letting you roam around and they instead became a linear progression of events through which the story guides you by the hand. Also, all the dungeons having the same item-defeats-boss-after-three-hits formula is just too old and lame now for any of the bosses to be anything near memorable. You could pass it in OoT because, well, it was NEW, but save for the ones in MM every boss in Zelda is super forgettable because none of them presents any real challenge nor in their puzzle or combat sides.

bosses are super forgettable because they just show up, you fight them for one minute then they are dead and gone. The reason people don't give a dime about demise is because he just shows up and is a rather non active antagonist (even if he is supposed to be the towering bogey man.) Where as Ghirahim is a rather active antagonist and presents many obstacles to link even if it isn't Ghirahim himself it adds to Ghirahim's image and makes the player more invested in stopping him

Edit: no really, where were you going with this?

Last edited:

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
This happens because the games stopped letting you roam around and they instead became a linear progression of events through which the story guides you by the hand. .
And what made the linearity so horrendous was how even the world was affected by it.

In TP, whole provinces were cordoned off until a particular objective was achieved, a massive, massive sin.

SS screwed it up further and literally turned the world into tiny stupid corridors, save for parts of the Lanaryu Region. I remember wondering how in the hell did the guys from flipping Monolith Soft, of all devs, let this go by them.

Rukia

Enamored
OMG! Some of those just can't be a coincidence! That Pegasus knight has to be related to Cordelia/Severa in some way, it's just obvious, why would there be another red headed Pegasus knight? Also some people were saying that the guy who looks like Inigo is actually the Avatar, because apparently they say his name in regards to a female in another piece of text, someone posted it on sereneforest. I honestly REALLY don't want the characters to be related to the Ylisse characters, I miss when every FE game had a seperate cast in a seperate continent, it gives the game it's own feel and it leaves the future of the previous cast up to the player's interpretation. Having all the games be connected makes the whole thing seem redundant and it leaves stories and characters limited.
The Pegasus Knight has a striking resemblance to Severa's character portrait (not the official art).

And I agree. I feel a new Fire Emblem with refreshing elements is much better than creating a sequel/prequel. But I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with tying the games together. Awakening is linked to Shadow Dragon but it never directly followed the game. The continent is the same, but is set many years later. Chrom and the royal family are simply descendants of Marth who have the Fire Emblem Marth once held.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod

For one, I don't believe in perfection or best. Perfection means stagnation; imperfection means there's room to improve. There's never a best because there's always something better later on.

When people say OoT is the best game ever and that all the other (3D) Zelda games are bad. I don't agree since it's just nostalgia and there are games the improve on OoT even if they're not Zelda. Nostalgia as, ironically put by the pseudo-intellectual, Paul, in Midnight in Paris:

Nostalgia is denial - denial of the painful present... the name for this denial is golden age thinking - the erroneous notion that a different time period is better than the one one's living in - it's a flaw in the romantic imagination of those people who find it difficult to cope with the present.
Darksiders took what made 3D Zelda great, but put a spin on it. Combat improved and resembled God of War and pre-DMC4 combat since Darksiders wasn't a hack 'n' slash, but an adventure game. It made pretty much every item usable since they had combat uses alongside travel and puzzle uses and important after you get them except for some like the Void Walker which was more extras on the overworld and because by then, you were at the end-game. Flaws? It was short, combat was bland because it didn't do anything more than other games, magic wasn't that useful, and before you get Ruin, your horse, War moved slow as sin. Also, the world was empty even though it made sense because it was set literally post-apocalyptic.

Skyward Sword made story a larger focus and made characters memorable, especially Groose and Ghirahim. It also streamlined movement. For the first time, you could swim underwater, sprint, and scale walls more than in past games, but there were obvious flaws like the stamina meter being annoying, but not that limiting. Combat was fun when it worked. The game was linear despite seeming open. Oh, and this happens to like every guide in Zelda, but lots of people complained about Fi.

Majora's Mask made sidequests important and forced you to explore the world to actually gain upgrades and hearts. Because of that, it had an artificial difficulty; you could end up with only 7 hearts and an upgraded magic meter and everything before the final boss. Why? There's only 4 hearts from the 4 main dungeons. It forced you to explore which some people don't like. It's a reason why some people don't like Fallout, The Elder Scrolls, Assassin's Creed, etc. because they're too big. If you did explore, then the game was pretty much another 3D Zelda game. Time as a restraint was a neat idea, but people complained that they had no direction which is ironic because a lot of modern games give you direction and people complain about that. People like to complain don't they? Also, there were a lot of useless items. The Razor Sword that was all over the art? Yeah, no reason to use it since the Gilded Sword is permanent. The Great Fairy's Sword is in the same position as the Biggoron Sword, but you get it so late in the game that you don't really need it. Deku Link essentially becomes the hover boots since he has little reason to be in combat and exploration compared to Goron Link and Zora Link. Some masks just become irrelevant until the end game where they're given away. I mean, what if you could use Kamaro's Mask to make the Redeads and Gibdo dance? At least that would be a neat easter egg, but nope. Hell, Epona loses relevance when you can just warp everywhere and that was the same with Twilight Princess.

No game is perfect and best games are momentary. Things evolve all the time and they will have flaws no matter how superficial or extreme like that game-breaking glitch in Twilight Princess.

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
Majora's Mask made sidequests important and forced you to explore the world to actually gain upgrades and hearts. Because of that, it had an artificial difficulty; you could end up with only 7 hearts and an upgraded magic meter and everything before the final boss. Why? There's only 4 hearts from the 4 main dungeons. It forced you to explore which some people don't like. It's a reason why some people don't like Fallout, The Elder Scrolls, Assassin's Creed, etc. because they're too big. If you did explore, then the game was pretty much another 3D Zelda game.
You weren't forced to explore Termina or do any of the sidequests. The game is entirely beatable with three-seven hearts and a small magic gauge. I couldn't disagree anymore than I already do about calling it "artificial difficulty," but I'm in no mood for a semantics argument.

Zelda games have always been about exploration, even before puzzle-solving. If people don't like exploring, they're playing the wrong series.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
You weren't forced to explore Termina. The game is entirely beatable with three-seven hearts and a small magic gauge. I couldn't disagree anymore than I already do about calling it "artificial difficulty," but I'm in no mood for a semantics argument.

Zelda games have always been about exploration, even before puzzle-solving. If people don't like exploring, they're playing the wrong series.
Well, as a kid who sucked at games and not knowing things, it did feel forced if I wanted to not die a horrible and painful death. I think my file that I beat Majora's Mask for the first time only had like 12 hearts - I was 10? at the time. Before that, when I was 8 or something, I remember playing the game for the first time and it sucked because I kept dying and getting lost. I was okay with exploring, but I didn't want to explore to survive if that makes any sense since technically that's what you do in Zelda and Metroid. Also note, I never played a 2D Zelda as a kid; OoT was my first Zelda game.

So, it's more of an artificial difficulty for younger and inexperienced gamers is what I'm getting at. More experienced gamers will probably have an easier time.

This seems more ironic now since I remember beating Contra and now I suck at 2D games and OoT and Majora's Mask weren't Ninja Gaiden, DMC3, or Castlevania hard... Well, I never beat Super Mario Bros. so that might explain everything. :p

Last edited:

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
Oh yeah, I never said Majora's was perfect or anything. It's one of my favorite games ever but I know it's far from perfect. I honestly believe the Fierce Deity mask is super lame, even if it's so "cool," because of how stupidly easy it makes the final boss. Also, even though I think it has some of the best dungeon designs in terms of gameplay and puzzles, I thought the dungeons in terms of graphic design were a bit unimaginative, with the possible exception of Stone Tower, but I'm biased because that's my favorite dungeon in Zelda history. In reality it's just "desert dungeon" with the upside down twist (which is a bit of a big deal imo). But yeah, in regards to graphic design, the best dungeons were in OoT and TP. The dungeon music in OoT was also the best in the whole series, because each dungeon actually had some cultural weight and a LOT of ancient mysticism to them. That's something no other game in the series has achieved save for a handful of TP dungeons, like the prison or the mansion.

The game I like the least is SS because, alright, I know it focused on story and characters, but they just left everything else aside. And to be honest, the story isn't even good, it's full of tired tropes and, while the characters are [ivery[/i] memorable -Ghirahim being my fav Zelda villain-, they don't really bring anything new to the table.

The one thing I think Skyward did better than most Zeldas is, well, Zelda. Mostly because she actually has an agenda this time around, and you spend most of the game trying to catch up with her, while she is guarded by her actually somewhat useful female protector. I felt they kinda ****ed up in the end by having Ghirahim kidnap her and oh nooo damsel in distress yet again, but eh, can't win them all.

All in all Zelda is a great franchise of games and I'm still their b****, so...~

Edit: Oh, I also disagree a LOT on MM having "artificial difficulty," because some of the bosses and mini bosses are actually pretty hard for most levels of player skill, and a lot of the puzzles were actually pretty puzzling :p. Specially dungeon puzzles!

Another amazing thing about MM was how it actually made you aware of your surroundings, by having the NPCs doing different things in every day, you actually grew curious as to what they had to offer. It made you learn by observing, instead of just flat out telling you things and where to go. I can understand a young kid being confused by that, though. I think I was either 8 or 10 when the game out, and I definitely had a really hard time with it, but I think that was part of its everlasting charm for me.

Last edited:

micstar615

Smash Ace
The Pegasus Knight has a striking resemblance to Severa's character portrait (not the official art).

And I agree. I feel a new Fire Emblem with refreshing elements is much better than creating a sequel/prequel. But I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with tying the games together. Awakening is linked to Shadow Dragon but it never directly followed the game. The continent is the same, but is set many years later. Chrom and the royal family are simply descendants of Marth who have the Fire Emblem Marth once held.
They share an uncanny resemblance! I'm convinced that they're related somehow. I don't mind tying the games together a la Shadow Dragon and Awakening but I hope the majority of the cast isn't a descendant or ancestor of Ylisse's cast, I hope they're their own characters based off new concepts and whatnot instead of being tied down to existing characters. It made sense for Chrom and Lucina but I hope it's not like that with every other unit -.- but maybe I'm being picky, a lot of the characters looked fairly unique

Rizen

Smash Legend
Darksiders fits into the matter of opinion category too. I played Darksiders 2 and the combat largely revolved around repeating the same combo over and over while rolling around a group of monsters. One combo simply did the most damage. But that's fun if you're into combo style games. For the record, I really like DS2.

I agree with the lack luster difficulty and games spelling everything out being a problem. To be fair, many games, not just the zelda series have this problem.

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
The one thing I think Skyward did better than most Zeldas is, well, Zelda. Mostly because she actually has an agenda this time around, and you spend most of the game trying to catch up with her, while she is guarded by her actually somewhat useful female protector. I felt they kinda ****ed up in the end by having Ghirahim kidnap her and oh nooo damsel in distress yet again, but eh, can't win them all.
I'll never forget the SS dungeon that never had to be completed.

You know, the one that brought you on the other side of a wall that Ghirahim just blasts through in the ensuing cutscene.

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
I'll never forget the SS dungeon that never had to be completed.

You know, the one that brought you on the other side of a wall that Ghirahim just blasts through in the ensuing cutscene.
Omg I never thought of it that way 8U. Man, f*** Skyward Sword.

You know what other thing I LOATHED about that game? This moment, marked as spoilers because, well, spoilers:

Zelda just crystalized herself into a giant rupee, right? It's the EMOTIONAL CLIMAX OF THE GAME. You are told you need to get the the parts of the song of the hero in order to gain the FREAKING TRIFORCE and you're super hyped about it and **** and then you go to the dragons and...

HEY, GATHER MY 50 FREAKING TADPOLES. IN THE WATER. BECAUSE.

Omg I ragequit the game so hard that night.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Omg I never thought of it that way 8U. Man, f*** Skyward Sword.

You know what other thing I LOATHED about that game? This moment, marked as spoilers because, well, spoilers:

Zelda just crystalized herself into a giant rupee, right? It's the EMOTIONAL CLIMAX OF THE GAME. You are told you need to get the the parts of the song of the hero in order to gain the FREAKING TRIFORCE and you're super hyped about it and **** and then you go to the dragons and...

HEY, GATHER MY 50 FREAKING TADPOLES. IN THE WATER. BECAUSE.

Omg I ragequit the game so hard that night.
save Zelda? why? This girl is so much cuter

You're making me want to play Sacred Stones again, but I don't have the time!
there's like 3 GBA games man, Although sacred stones is the best out of all of them

Rukia

Enamored
They share an uncanny resemblance! I'm convinced that they're related somehow. I don't mind tying the games together a la Shadow Dragon and Awakening but I hope the majority of the cast isn't a descendant or ancestor of Ylisse's cast, I hope they're their own characters based off new concepts and whatnot instead of being tied down to existing characters. It made sense for Chrom and Lucina but I hope it's not like that with every other unit -.- but maybe I'm being picky, a lot of the characters looked fairly unique
Don't worry. I understand exactly how you feel. My friend Dan pointed out how it could potentially be a sequel/prequel. At first, I hadn't realized it, until I watched the trailer a few more times.

In the end, however, I can relate. A new concept is what I'm most favorable with. So far, in the series, Blazing Sword was a great prequel and Radiant Dawn followed the events of Path of Radiance quite well. I'm sure they could pull it off.

Wtf

Zelda used Din's fire near the edge while I was off-stage.

I back slashed at her front

It registered as a back hit and killed her.

I landed at her back though in the end but I was sure that my falling back slash was facing at her front

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Oh yeah, I never said Majora's was perfect or anything. It's one of my favorite games ever but I know it's far from perfect. I honestly believe the Fierce Deity mask is super lame, even if it's so "cool," because of how stupidly easy it makes the final boss. Also, even though I think it has some of the best dungeon designs in terms of gameplay and puzzles, I thought the dungeons in terms of graphic design were a bit unimaginative, with the possible exception of Stone Tower, but I'm biased because that's my favorite dungeon in Zelda history. In reality it's just "desert dungeon" with the upside down twist (which is a bit of a big deal imo). But yeah, in regards to graphic design, the best dungeons were in OoT and TP. The dungeon music in OoT was also the best in the whole series, because each dungeon actually had some cultural weight and a LOT of ancient mysticism to them. That's something no other game in the series has achieved save for a handful of TP dungeons, like the prison or the mansion.

The game I like the least is SS because, alright, I know it focused on story and characters, but they just left everything else aside. And to be honest, the story isn't even good, it's full of tired tropes and, while the characters are [ivery[/i] memorable -Ghirahim being my fav Zelda villain-, they don't really bring anything new to the table.

All in all Zelda is a great franchise of games and I'm still their b****, so...~

Edit: Oh, I also disagree a LOT on MM having "artificial difficulty," because some of the bosses and mini bosses are actually pretty hard for most levels of player skill, and a lot of the puzzles were actually pretty puzzling :p. Specially dungeon puzzles!

Another amazing thing about MM was how it actually made you aware of your surroundings, by having the NPCs doing different things in every day, you actually grew curious as to what they had to offer. It made you learn by observing, instead of just flat out telling you things and where to go. I can understand a young kid being confused by that, though. I think I was either 8 or 10 when the game out, and I definitely had a really hard time with it, but I think that was part of its everlasting charm for me.
Well, MM made the world feel alive while a lot of the other games felt stagnant. There was always a pattern, but it was the same pattern. MM had a pattern, but that was because of the 3 day system. Zelda Wii U could have a "pattern", but more like let's say the farmer tends to his fields everyday, but when it rains, he does something different, he tends to animals different like letting his sheep graze in different places, etc.

Twilight Princess felt dead because unless you moved the plot, the people were always there. Oh yes, the city was bustling, but they were just people and nobody important like maybe the florist could have sold you flowers that you could make potions or something. Or maybe have Telma wander the streets on some nights.

Anyway, how was Zelda in Spirit Tracks since she was with you the whole game? I never got the play ST or Phantom Hourglass.

Darksiders fits into the matter of opinion category too. I played Darksiders 2 and the combat largely revolved around repeating the same combo over and over while rolling around a group of monsters. One combo simply did the most damage. But that's fun if you're into combo style games. For the record, I really like DS2.

I agree with the lack luster difficulty and games spelling everything out being a problem. To be fair, many games, not just the zelda series have this problem.
Darksiders 2 seems to have suffered the whole THQ going down thing since the devs promised the PC would be fixed, but it never happened since THQ died and the devs had to disband since nobody bought them and the franchise was bought later on. Combat seemed like it was missing things since the dude who was the lead studied fighting game after fighting game and I think he is a fighting game enthusiast, but he wanted to make the combat interesting, but not too difficult like in DMC4 or Ninja Gaiden. So, this lead to DS2 being less polished and feeling incomplete despite being a good game. Claws and scythes had the highest damage output, certain weapons had extremely exploitable abilities and you could get them very early on, and heavy weapons suffered the fate of being too slow like in many other games. THQ had such high and unrealistic ambitions for Darksiders 2. Personally, I believe it's a good game, but it's more of a Prince of Persia game with Zelda dungeons and the combat more or less was an unpolished DMC and Zelda mesh that was exploitable and repetitive.

Darksiders 1's combat was more like DmC: Devil May Cry's or the first 2 DMC games added with God of War's instant-kill prompts and blocking mechanics, and a Zelda feel to it, especially with the bosses. So, it was like fighting in Zelda except you could do air combos and input other combos like maybe you want to cover more area or focus damage on one enemy, you could do that. Gameplay-wise, it was linear like the recent 3D Zelda games and the dungeons and puzzles felt they were from Zelda. Presentation-wise, it was much more polished and it was cohesive. Elements from each game mixed well together unlike in the sequel where the almighty Death couldn't double jump, climb waist high ledges, combat focusing on speedier DPS weapons and combos being not that important despite the previous games having much simpler combat.

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
Well, MM made the world feel alive while a lot of the other games felt stagnant. There was always a pattern, but it was the same pattern. MM had a pattern, but that was because of the 3 day system. Zelda Wii U could have a "pattern", but more like let's say the farmer tends to his fields everyday, but when it rains, he does something different, he tends to animals different like letting his sheep graze in different places, etc.

Twilight Princess felt dead because unless you moved the plot, the people were always there. Oh yes, the city was bustling, but they were just people and nobody important like maybe the florist could have sold you flowers that you could make potions or something. Or maybe have Telma wander the streets on some nights.

Anyway, how was Zelda in Spirit Tracks since she was with you the whole game? I never got the play ST or Phantom Hourglass
Oh yeah, patterns are not a bad thing, because you need patterns in order to train your player, but they only work so long as they're fresh and not as repetitive as item-get in most Zelda dungeons. For example, in MM by the time you got to Stone Tower you knew you'd get the light arrows (if you played OoT), but then you got the Giant's Mask and the boss battle was all kinds of mother****ing epic.

You know what I like about MM? That you don't really use the dungeon item against the bosses. You use the dungeon item throughout ALL of the dungeon, throughout most of the game, and they're powerful battle tools, but in the dungeon rooms you use the transformation masks you get, which are actually super important plot items <3.

ANYWAYS~ in regards to Spirit Tracks, I thought Zelda was funny and adorable, but I only played through the first dungeon because I found the game to be really boring and repetitive. Also, the moment I cleared the first dungeon in 5 minutes without ever stopping to think I was like "yeah no, f*** this game."

Oh, that and stylus controls. Worst control scheme EVER.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
@ Ffamran Ffamran
Spirit Tracks is one of my favorite Zelda games(probably be my #6 spot), Zelda herself is great as well, she's one of the better guide characters that doesn't intrude you that much, like Midna, Zelda also has tons of awesome character development.

Don't get PH though, that game is just downright stupid, and it is the only Zelda game that I do not like. It is the worst official Zelda game IMO.

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
@ Ffamran Ffamran
Spirit Tracks is one of my favorite Zelda games(probably be my #6 spot), Zelda herself is great as well, she's one of the better guide characters that doesn't intrude you that much, like Midna, Zelda also has tons of awesome character development.

Don't get PH though, that game is just downright stupid, and it is the only Zelda game that I do not like. It is the worst official Zelda game IMO.
IDK about worst official Zelda (let's just not mention CDI), but I really do think this game hurts itself by being actually too difficult and punishing

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Oh yeah, patterns are not a bad thing, because you need patterns in order to train your player, but they only work so long as they're fresh and not as repetitive as item-get in most Zelda dungeons. For example, in MM by the time you got to Stone Tower you knew you'd get the light arrows (if you played OoT), but then you got the Giant's Mask and the boss battle was all kinds of mother****ing epic.

You know what I like about MM? That you don't really use the dungeon item against the bosses. You use the dungeon item throughout ALL of the dungeon, throughout most of the game, and they're powerful battle tools, but in the dungeon rooms you use the transformation masks you get, which are actually super important plot items <3.

ANYWAYS~ in regards to Spirit Tracks, I thought Zelda was funny and adorable, but I only played through the first dungeon because I found the game to be really boring and repetitive. Also, the moment I cleared the first dungeon in 5 minutes without ever stopping to think I was like "yeah no, f*** this game."

Oh, that and stylus controls. Worst control scheme EVER.
Yeah, I should be finishing Dragon's Dogma, but the game feels alive and sometimes random since you will have people wandering the roads sometimes, but they have their patterns like every game and like real life where people wake up, go to work, sleep, etc. Exploring in that game feels like being a kid imagining you're fighting monsters, finding treasure, etc., but it's a difficult game and not really a cheap one since as a human in RPG-world, you're nothing compared to a dragon who if you don't know is there, will wreck your ****. If you know he's there, then it's like this feeling of anxiety since regular enemies can cause trouble early on and if while escaping you run into the dragon, welp, have fun. It feels like a retro game that makes you explore, think, and work through trial and error. Funny enough, it's something Capcom has done for almost all their games even if they're boring, DLC-ridden, and such. Hell, they worked on Oracle of Ages/Seasons and Minish Cap with Nintendo. The devs at Capcom know what they're doing; it's just the heads who just can't seem to understand that we want Mega Man, Okami, Viewtiful Joe, DMC5, and even a DmC2 which to me is like an Ultimate universe in Marvel. Yes, Monster Hunter, DmC, and Street Fighter are good games, but we don't just want only that and DLC is good when it has a lot of content rather than the cash-grab that was Street Fighter IV's expansions and palette swaps.

Majora's Mask is changing up the bosses and with that eye Odolwa has now, it might be a choice between using your bow for more damage or duking it out old school with your sword and shield. Hopefully that's the case, but an entirely different boss fight would be cool. I do like that you could choose how to fight the bosses. Hell, it's possible to fight Twinmold with just your bow and no Light Arrows, but it takes forever.

I want to get Spirit Tracks, but I don't know where and sometimes they cost a ton because people know there's demand... Same with a ton of other DS games like Star Fox Command, Phantom Hourglass, Bowser's Inside Story, etc.

SBphiloz4

Gatekeeper of the Shadows
NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
New Fire Emblem game means RIP best Awakening waifu. Will commemorate by making her the profile picture~ <3

In other news, relevant to the new FE game announcement.

Top Bottom