• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
Idk the problem with the idea of banning a select few customs is that there's way too many customs and discussion that it'll never get done. Too many factors to really lead to a reasonable conclusion, I guess.

It's really all either or.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
That hair flip animation is still so disgusting to me......

Eww

Also, Zelda is dressed so strangely. She has this really low cut tank top like dress and then big goofy shoulder pads that must barely be hanging onto the thin straps around her shoulders. Then she has the long elegant gloves that go past her elbow. Then the Hylian symbol thing that is probably stitched into her skin.

But really how does she fight with earrings?
The Zelda Social: Putting down Zelda's moveset and clothing :secretkpop:

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
Banning certain moves is a bit extreme, almost like banning all neutral B's.

I could see them banning certain combinations that are too good though. I can't think of any, but it'd be fine if they said "32XX is banned for ____________."

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
Ban everything because I'm unfamiliar with it so that automatically means it's jank and broken
Yeah lol

People complain that customs are OP yet look at EVO's top 32 players. If I'm recalling correctly, only one player made it there using "jank" customs (CaptainAwsum). Plus, nobody has actually won a big tournament using said jank customs. DKWill nor CaptainAwsum, two of the most prominent players who use "broken" customs have yet to win a major tournament utilizing their strategies.

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Oh and just to give my two cents on this discussion, the only thing looking ban worthy at this point in time is teams involving
:4sheik:/:4gaw:
unless Nintendo actually fixes that

NekoJubei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NekoJubei
3DS FC
4425-1920-7361
They should really ban Lucas's customs...
I mean seriously? Ness's PK Fire AND PK Thunder combined with a Tether??
Don't get me started on Lucas's PK Flash that moves likes PK Freeze and kills you at 80%....
Maybe in the future....

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Oh and just to give my two cents on this discussion, the only thing looking ban worthy at this point in time is teams involving
:4sheik:/:4gaw:
unless Nintendo actually fixes that
The problem is not Sheik+GnW. The real problem here is the Bucket mechanics.

This is the second time the move gets a strategy that breaks the metagame.

Last edited:

Nammy12

Smash Lord
NNID
Nammy12
Imagine if some default specials were customs.

Like if Sheik's needles/bouncing fish were customs then lots of people probably want to ban them. However, they get a free pass because they're defaults.

Let's start banning default specials.

I don't think banning specific customs will be good for the community since you can't satisfy everybody and it could end up splitting it even further.

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
Imagine if some default specials were customs.

Like if Sheik's needles/bouncing fish were customs then lots of people probably want to ban them. However, they get a free pass because they're defaults.

Let's start banning default specials.

I don't think banning specific customs will be good for the community since you can't satisfy everybody and it could end up splitting it even further.
Oh yes, we can finally ban the most broken move.

Din's Failure

Soul.

Brawl doubles was amazing. I don't know what happened in 3DS/Wii U. The norm is basically "Everything + :4gaw:"
Also this community is incredibly whiny so I wouldn't be surprised if we reach a general consensus in "the majority wants customs off because -insert tl;dr-"

Rizen

Smash Legend
There's no point in banning specific moves; that's stupid. The best course of action is don't allow customs period.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Yeah lol

People complain that customs are OP yet look at EVO's top 32 players. If I'm recalling correctly, only one player made it there using "jank" customs (CaptainAwsum). Plus, nobody has actually won a big tournament using said jank customs. DKWill nor CaptainAwsum, two of the most prominent players who use "broken" customs have yet to win a major tournament utilizing their strategies.
So then they're pointless?

NekoJubei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NekoJubei
3DS FC
4425-1920-7361
Lol I won't be surprised if one day we start discussing about custom stages
EDIT: A-although t-that would be cool....

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Why are Palutena and Wii Fit not allowed to be top contestants?
Let me answer that with another question: why is little Mac doomed to be bottom tier with horribly skewed MUs (with customs allowed)? Or how about why give pikachu a 0-death combo with paralizing jolts, etc? Why let villager plank when the ledge mechanics were designed to stop planking because it was BS in Brawl? Why make characters without jank customs drop in rank?

Overall customs make SSB4 more like Brawl: more campy, gimmicky, polarized MUs, with longer setup time, and less balanced than SSB4 vanilla.
The whole pro-custom argument seems to be "customs aren't OP so people can get used to them (true)" but not taking into account how much jankier they make the game. It was never about "banning customs" it was about "trying customs" because vanilla SSB4 is the original game. Pro customs (not anti-customs) people want to change the rules to make SSB4 less balanced and more janky.

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
Nobody good used them. Just save yourself the effort and turn them off if they don't make a difference.
Well duh. The customs meta is much less explored compared to the non customs meta, I guess, so of course it's the more tried and true strategies that had success.

And plus, why remove? The option's there. Your argument hinges off the fact that they're not being used, which they are. There's no hurt in having them being an option other than the additional time it takes to set up.

In the end, I don't really care about customs being on or off though. I use default Greninja. lol

SBphiloz4

Gatekeeper of the Shadows
NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
Zelda is the most cancerous character to the Sm4sh meta game because her presence makes her opponents forget to shield and throw laggy attacks which nets her free Farore's Winds and 40% kills. She also has the most disrespectful move in the game that is Din's Fire and killing with such a move is the ultimate sign of jank and broken cancerness

BAN•ZELDA

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
Let me answer that with another question: why is little Mac doomed to be bottom tier with horribly skewed MUs (with customs allowed)? Or how about why give pikachu a 0-death combo with paralizing jolts, etc? Why let villager plank when the ledge mechanics were designed to stop planking because it was BS in Brawl? Why make characters without jank customs drop in rank?

Overall customs make SSB4 more like Brawl: more campy, gimmicky, polarized MUs, with longer setup time, and less balanced than SSB4 vanilla.
The whole pro-custom argument seems to be "customs aren't OP so people can get used to them (true)" but not taking into account how much jankier they make the game. It was never about "banning customs" it was about "trying customs" because vanilla SSB4 is the original game. Pro customs (not anti-customs) people want to change the rules to make SSB4 less balanced and more janky.
See, this is a good point about customs and their problems.

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
welcome to the zelda social where we argue about customs despite zelda having irrelevant customs

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
reminding everyone that I'm the best Swordfighter main in this thread (@Trieste SP is hidden somewhere right now so i can be right)

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Well duh. The customs meta is much less explored compared to the non customs meta, I guess, so of course it's the more tried and true strategies that had success.

And plus, why remove? The option's there. Your argument hinges off the fact that they're not being used, which they are. There's no hurt in having them being an option other than the additional time it takes to set up.

In the end, I don't really care about customs being on or off though. I use default Greninja. lol
So then they actually will matter when people start using them... Making the whole "you don't need customs" thing untrue.

Why turn them off? Because they're not balanced whatsoever.

Top Bottom