• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
It's kind of stupid how Marth's sword has similar range to Sheik's Fair or how Marth's disjoints are shorter than Captain Falcon's.
It doesn't make sense of course. However, they might have gone with this design in terms of balancing purposes. If it had been too realistic, sword characters would simply outshine most if not all characters because of their clear advantage with disjoints. Still...

Rizen

Smash Legend
^Sword characters are generally slower to balance the range.
Then you have characters with fast attacks and no disjoint and characters with slow attacks and no disjoint. Hi, Falco, Samus, Ike, Marth, Lucina, the Pits, Bowser, Greninja, Pac-Man, Wii Fit Trainer, Zelda, Meta Knight, Kirby, and more. It's kind of stupid how Marth's sword has similar range to Sheik's Fair or how Marth's disjoints are shorter than Captain Falcon's. Where's my extra shockwave thing on my Side Smash? You'd think Zelda could just summon a blade of light about as long as a sword for her Ftilt and then Captain Falcon Dash Attacks. Or how Rosalina needs powerful disjoints when she's incredibly tall and has an incredibly powerful star buddy or how Link's Dair has a magical block of doom below it instead of just being the sword. I thought the end of 64 Kirby Utilt, Melee Marth grab range, and Brawl Snake Utilt's eras were gone.
Yeah the hight tier characters have the best of both worlds. I do think characters like Bowser and Pac Man have surprising disjoints. Link's Dair is his only deceptive disjoint then he's in the same boat as Marth but without the curving hitboxes.

Last edited:

Soul.

I haven't bothered to read the last pages.
Rosalina is overrated; our SSS+ tier character is :4pikachu:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
It doesn't make sense of course. However, they might have gone with this design in terms of balancing purposes. If it had been too realistic, sword characters would simply outshine most if not all characters because of their clear advantage with disjoints. Still...
Sheik's Fair sure since she's slashing with her arm while Marth's swinging his sword which would end up with him swinging the sword and not his arm, but Captain Falcon's rapid jab finisher, Dash Attack, and Side Smash not so much since they're a bit more common than seeing Ganondorf's Dark Dive/Dark Fist uppercut or even his Side Smash which could be chalked up as dark magic. The fact Captain Falcon's rapid jab finisher and Side Smash outrange Ike is already stupid and definitely pushing it. If those moves outranged Shulk's Monado, then there's clearly something wrong. I don't even justify Falco's Dtilt disjoint - it ends about after the red wave and has the same or even more range than a normal Ftilt - which if they really wanted to give Falco that range, they could have just made the animation different like have him sweep out his leg or something. It's so deceptive and that just feels unfair especially for players who picked Ike thinking they have range only to get outranged at the worst moments.

Link's Dair disjoint is incredibly stupid and there's no reason why it should be there. Dude even has a back hitbox on jab along with a slight disjoint on his jab 3 and his and Toon Link's Side Smashes are disjointed slightly above their swords. Y'know, there could have been ways to make those moves work without adding really stupid disjoints. Slight disjoints are fine like Link's jab 3 or moves where you're not going to see that part a lot like Ganondorf's Dark Dive/Fist uppercut, then whatever, but stuff like Falco's Dtilt, Captain Falcon and Ganondorf's Side Smashes, Captain Falcon's Dash Attack and rapid jab finisher, and Link's Dair disjoints where there isn't anything to show there's a disjoint is not.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Captain Falcon's disjoints are crazy.

Yes, some of the disjoints don't make sense. Could they have been done better? Certainly. Will they be fixed/patched? I'm not so sure. But we have to play the game as we have it. Same as we have done since the first game and assume that these things won't change.

D

Deleted member

Gorls I got 2nd in another tourney woo!

http://challonge.com/saltyshowdowns45

I lost....to Kong's Cyclone...

But I've noticed I'm doing well in tournies. I've gotten 2nd in two other tournies and 4th in our Zelda tourney. I'm proud of myself *gives self gold star*

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Then you have characters with fast attacks and no disjoint and characters with slow attacks and no disjoint. Hi, Falco, Samus, Ike, Marth, Lucina, the Pits, Bowser, Greninja, Pac-Man, Wii Fit Trainer, Zelda, Meta Knight, Kirby, and more.
Um... Most of Greninja's slower moves are disjointed (Smashes and F-Air. I guess Up-Tilt as well). The only other attacks that laggy without being disjointed are D-Air and Shadow Sneak, the rest for the most part has good frame data (B-Air, Up-Air, Jab, D-Tilt, etc.)

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Link's Dair disjoint is incredibly stupid and there's no reason why it should be there. Dude even has a back hitbox on jab along with a slight disjoint on his jab 3 and his and Toon Link's Side Smashes are disjointed slightly above their swords. Y'know, there could have been ways to make those moves work without adding really stupid disjoints. Slight disjoints are fine like Link's jab 3 or moves where you're not going to see that part a lot like Ganondorf's Dark Dive/Fist uppercut, then whatever, but stuff like Falco's Dtilt, Captain Falcon and Ganondorf's Side Smashes, Captain Falcon's Dash Attack and rapid jab finisher, and Link's Dair disjoints where there isn't anything to show there's a disjoint is not.
Link's Dair is meant to cover him, especially since Uairs are ridiculous in this game, but it's a very committing move. It looks close to how it did in Brawl

but is nowhere near as ridiculous as Rosalina's or ROB's Dair. Link doesn't have a back hitbubble on jab but there is a body hitbubble.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Um... Most of Greninja's slower moves are disjointed (Smashes and F-Air. I guess Up-Tilt as well). The only other attacks that laggy without being disjointed are D-Air and Shadow Sneak, the rest for the most part has good frame data (B-Air, Up-Air, Jab, D-Tilt, etc.)
Yes, but he doesn't have Captain Falcon's disjoints of stupidity. Greninja, Marth, Ike, and Shulk's are more like "natural" disjoints while Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, Link, and Falco have deceptive disjoints on moves that don't look or seem to be disjointed.

Link's Dair is meant to cover him, especially since Uairs are ridiculous in this game, but it's a very committing move. It looks close to how it did in Brawl
Dairs are supposed to cover below, but it's like Link's using a large hammer to Dair instead of a sword. The horizontal hitbox is more than his body.

but is nowhere near as ridiculous as Rosalina's or ROB's Dair. Link doesn't have a back hitbubble on jab but there is a body hitbubble.
OMG! Raphael Squirtle! :p

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
Last edited:

SBphiloz4

Gatekeeper of the Shadows
NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
So 1 in 4 people have disliked our Zelda social compilation video just because "people in this vid are not good".

Maybe sharing it to Shoryuken wasn't a good idea after all. But eh.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
So I was messing around with Peach in FG and I was doing one of those Parasol airdodge reads but I only hit with the first hit with ridiculous knockback that's supposed to connect into the others and killed the person I was fighting at like 30%
#BANHER

Jestar

Prinsass of Hyrule
NNID
JML-64
Switch FC
2130-3831-9341
So 1 in 4 people have disliked our Zelda social compilation video just because "people in this vid are not good".

Maybe sharing it to Shoryuken wasn't a good idea after all. But eh.
On the bright side, it got 2000+ views in 2 days.

I'd say that's something to be proud of.

Besides:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Can someone link the video again? I lost it with the restless tides of activity this thread has Embarrass

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Well, I just watched the Zelda Social compilation video... thing. First off, I wonder what Canada thinks of it, @Koiba. Yay, Canadian flag at the end. :p

@Kofu and @ Antonykun Antonykun 's parts felt so troll-y because of the music choice and it makes sense with Mr. Game & Watch, Villager, and Mii Swordfighter. @Space Stranger and @GingerGaymer made me feel like I was watching something... lewd. :p

Why was this even found and posted on Shoryuken? It's not even a good combo montage or whatever; it's just a fun thing where a group of friends compiled together to show off their best moments. Part of me feels like it was posted there just to troll and say, "Oh, this is the best that Smash 4's got." Go look up Fatality or someone if you want to watch a murder combo video.

On a lighter note, great job everyone. If I ever get involved in this, I'd probably look for really stupid music like this or really depressing stuff like this just so it's so out of place. Oh, and I might actively look for fail moments and play badly for fail moments just so when it gets posted again on Shoryuken, people will be like, "And that one Falco player sucks ***! He died to Mega Man's lemons! Smash 4 sucks!" And under the video description, it will say "Ffamran was purposely playing badly" or "Ffamran decided to give me his fail moments instead". Eh. :p

BEHOLD THE TONGUE STICKING OUT EMOTE! :p

Can someone link the video again? I lost it with the restless tides of activity this thread has Embarrass
Edit: :4greninja:'d.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I just go for a soundtrack that fits.

So of course I would go for a Ninja Gaiden song for my part.
Okay, now I'm curious about what Greninja and Ryu Hayabusa would look like if they cosplayed each other and a crossover between them. For music... I just want things to be awkward. Like how would you react if Tom & Jerry suddenly played while a one-sided match had a dude virtually murdered someone? Or if this played, but it was played during clips of a player getting bodied while the song seems to be praising the beat up guy's skill (or lack thereof) and his misfortunes? Making people confused is fun. :p

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Okay, now I'm curious about what Greninja and Ryu Hayabusa would look like if they cosplayed each other and a crossover between them. For music... I just want things to be awkward. Like how would you react if Tom & Jerry suddenly played while a one-sided match had a dude virtually murdered someone? Or if this played, but it was played during clips of a player getting bodied while the song seems to be praising the beat up guy's skill (or lack thereof) and his misfortunes? Making people confused is fun. :p
That made me curious to see if I could find any crossover art of the two and the first result I find is a Gamefaqs thread from before the game was released asking if Greninja being in would reduce Hayabusa's chance of getting in Smash.

But seriously now I want fanart of the two.

Despite only ever playing one Ninja Gaiden game Ryu is probably my favorite ninja character in media.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Despite only ever playing one Ninja Gaiden game Ryu is probably my favorite ninja character in media.
I wished Hostuma from Shinobi and the Tenchu games were more relevant like Ninja Gaiden. At least Strider Hiryu got a new and good game and there's Mark of the Ninja which ironically, is one of the few ninja games that is focused on stealth.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I still need to finish Mark of the Ninja smh.

But yeah I find it funny how ninja games tend to put more emphasis on the "assasin" part and less on the "stealth" part.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Ugh they remix Ryu's SF2 theme but not SF3 Good fighter. Whhhhyyyyyyyyy. Alex needs to come back he's been teased in Street fighter X Tekken.

And also no parry!! but at least they included other stuff, looking better than SF4 already i remember the older build Chun li being broken and you see her bhyhennipplesnddcneo.

Like really Gakokens covering the screen looked stupid.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
^Sword characters are generally slower to balance the range.

Yeah the hight tier characters have the best of both worlds. I do think characters like Bowser and Pac Man have surprising disjoints. Link's Dair is his only deceptive disjoint then he's in the same boat as Marth but without the curving hitboxes.
I could have sworn the only disjoints pacman has out of his normals were Utilt and his smashes. The ghosts aren't deceptive at all (just ****ing huge)

The Utilt is pretty weird though (an invincible semi circle that stretches out around his head lol)

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I still need to finish Mark of the Ninja smh.

But yeah I find it funny how ninja games tend to put more emphasis on the "assasin" part and less on the "stealth" part.
Assassin my ***, you see the stuff that happens in Assassin's Creed, Ninja Gaiden, and Shinobi? Granted, Ryu Hayabusa in the Itagaki series is more of a demon slayer, but it wouldn't hurt if he did sneak around when missions involved humans or humanoid creatures. Assassin's Creed's a bigger offense, but less so with Syndicate where you don't wear a hood unless you're going into "sneak" mode since in the past games, "GEE, I wonder who's the suspicious-looking one: the guy in white, carrying a crapton of weapons, and in a hood or the guy who looks like a farmer trying to sell his crops?" More like walking armories or mobile tanks. Kind of like how there are countless legends of a guy in a green tunic and floppy hat, but nobody seems to connect that with the countless Links in Zelda. Yay, video game logic. :p

Rizen

Smash Legend
I could have sworn the only disjoints pacman has out of his normals were Utilt and his smashes. The ghosts aren't deceptive at all (just ****ing huge)

The Utilt is pretty weird though (an invincible semi circle that stretches out around his head lol)
Doesn't his Bair and Nair have surprising reach? I think Pac's Bair beats Link's Fair.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
my favorite ninja is Mii Swordfighter :p

The funiest part of the compilation video btw is the tranisiton between @evmaxy54 and myself
I like to pretend Zelda had a temper tantrum and destroyed the whole place and they had to put in my part as an intermission XD

Top Bottom