• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda/Shiek = one character?

Vect0r

Smash Journeyman
Even though they're the same slot, i can't say they're the same character. I prefer Shiek in most battle because i'm REALLY not good with Zelda. I don't know why, but i can't seem to do well with Zelda.

What's your opinion? Are they completely different for you?

ynnek123

Smash Ace
no offense, but I don't think this deserves a thread...
you can play them as one character, but you'll have to be good at knowing WHEN to transform. But most people play them separate because that's more practical, some sheik players(like ankoku) trans to zelda if they can't seem to kill and their opponent is at a high percent to deliver the final blow. Most people think that zelda+ sheik is better then any of the 2 solo.

E.M.

Smash Apprentice
I personally hate Zelda. I can't stand her playstyle, or the fact that she looks like a dim witted *****.

I only play Sheik. She's like a female version of CF or Fox. She's fast, can string hit's together quickly, but the only thing holding her back is her lack of early percentage kill moves.

Maybe if I'm playing for money/tournament, I'll switch to Zelda if I'm desperate but in friendlies I wouldn't.

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
I think that had their been a bigger push from zelda and sheik players alike [assuming zelda was better in melee] that they would have been grouped together. Unfortunately because the divide stood it was simply pushed forward to brawl. One could think of them as a "pokemon trainer" with only two "pokemon" and make the comparison to that part of the board as an argument but I doubt , because it's been like it has for so long, that it'll change. I think that if they were grouped together as a character they would be higher in the tier listing [taking note of previous notaray members' tier lists that have been agreed upon by at least a large portion of the members here as a source for that last statement] Although my uses of zelda are far and few between, I think counting them together is an optimistic way of looking at the character assuming each was used equally.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
each aren't used equally nor should they actually be grouped together - while you CAN switch back and forth most players who play sheik do it because they enjoy sheik and most who use zelda do it because they enjoy zelda. the playstyles aren't even remotely similar - so it's not entirely likely to see an equal use sort of player. sheik's use zelda for the kill or zeldas use sheik for certain matchups - but there is always a central focus on one of the characters.

bleh

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Considering how much of a difference it actually makes when you're familiar with both characters, there should very well be a consideration for grouping them together.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
Wtf? You quoted my thoughts. o.o

Kinda on topic: Does anyone have any vids of someone using sheik/zelda at a competitive level. The only sheik/zelda I've seen is Ankoku's which is good, but still needs work.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
each aren't used equally nor should they actually be grouped together - while you CAN switch back and forth most players who play sheik do it because they enjoy sheik and most who use zelda do it because they enjoy zelda. the playstyles aren't even remotely similar - so it's not entirely likely to see an equal use sort of player. sheik's use zelda for the kill or zeldas use sheik for certain matchups - but there is always a central focus on one of the characters.

bleh
I've gone to tournaments and played Sheik and Zelda because i enjoy Sheik and i enjoy Zelda. I used the two equally, with little regard to the fact that their playstyles are night and day. I had no central focus whatsoever, during matches with G&W i switched to Zelda just so he'd have to fight something different from what he fought the first two stocks. You could get picky and say that well i used Sheik two stocks and Zelda one, but if you take that logic without a grain of salt, i could argue that there are only Grenade Snakes and C4 Snakes, some who use grenades to trick people into the C4 and some who use C4 to trick people into the grenades, and we can tally up the number of grenades and C4 after the match to see what character we list the win for.

Say a composer composes a song, and a violinist decides to hold concerts playing it. When the audience comes to see the show they get programs. The programs don't have the composers name alone, nor do they have only the violinist's name. Since each person played an irreplacable role in bringing the performance to the audience, both are credited. When I use Sheik to rack and Zelda for kill, they are each performing essential roles. To drop credit from either character is to imply that it could've been done without that character. But that's not necessarily true, I've played several matches i certainly would've lost without both characters in one match.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
My thoughts: It's better to be good with both if you want to be good with either one of them, but most people prefer only one of them, like me.

Usually I just choose one out of the two and ignore the other. Like how I used Zelda in Melee and completely ignored Sheik, I'm trying to break that habbit in Brawl of using only Sheik and ignoring Zelda though, but Zelda is just so... different...

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Kinda on topic: Does anyone have any vids of someone using sheik/zelda at a competitive level. The only sheik/zelda I've seen is Ankoku's which is good, but still needs work.
You've never seen RyokoYaksa, have you? He's the best. ^_^

And since when was mine "good?" I never place in (decently sized) tournaments.

Ztarfish

Smash Journeyman
Well, Zelda/Sheik sure does make those chumps that live forever like Snake and Dedede like a million times easier.. so.. o.o

rathy Aro

Smash Lord

"good"="sucks a$$, but I don't wanna flame you cuz you're cool"
Is that better?

I did check one of Choknater's sets... omg... way too good. o.o *looks up Ryoko's*
Edit: no Ryoko vids outside of wifi matches with Ankoku....... lol at the match were chainjacket freezes the game. XD

demodemo

Smash Ace
yeahh, chok is too good. neo's set with metaknight is also good, may not seem so, but after trying to fight metaknight yourself you will appreciate the mindgames he pulls.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i think neo is the best, and me/champ are about the same, just different styles

ankoku is good, i think he underestimates himself

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
I thought Neo was a sheik player. I'm talking about good a shiek/zelda. I'll check out some of Champ's vids if he plays a little Zelda too.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Ryoko Yaksa is a very good Zelda/Sheik player.

By sheer lack of Zelda/Sheik players, i might be up there.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
Zelda/Sheik is the way to go. The whole in-game counter pick, change of pace to throw of your opponent, damage with sheik, kill with zelda idea just works too well to force yourself to stick to one character in my opinion.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Nay, few are actually "forcing themselves to one character". Most players don't enjoy playing the other half that much, and that's their deal. Few still argue that focusing all practice on one or the other is superior to practicing both characters.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
I can understand that logic, sure the individual Sheik or Zelda with equal exp will be better than a Zelda/Sheik's halves, but it seems more like a matter of time and patience to me. Eventually, I believe the few that decided to dual main will reach greater heights.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire

silly Ankoku you do play a ridiculously good Zelda/Shiek but you and me get placed into bad pools and get players who play good against our mains:laugh:
(i almost beat u but no marth fairs and fsmashs are to good)

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Okay, my Marth is really not great at all. I fair'd you so much that attack decay caused a tipper fair at 180% to not even send you off-screen. >_>

And I don't even get this whole "players who play good against our mains." How many Sheik players can ANY of them have played beforehand? Besides, I've been to more tournaments than just that event.

Top Bottom