• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda/Sheik's many, MANY playstyles ftw :>

Traumatisch

Smash Rookie
Alright, my second post at these forums so let's make it a good one. I've been checking out some of the Zelda vids in the video thread and it got me thinking about the many different playstyles that Zelda has to offer. Now, I'm making this a Zelda/Sheik thread because, of course, the combination of the two allows for even more options. So here we go.

1a) Main Offensive style (Zelda)
- Check out Darkmusician's videos for this one. He only plays as Zelda (not as Sheik) and he plays her uber-agressive. He approaches well and puts a lot of pressure on his opponents. He defends when he needs to but always tries to keep the initiative. DM uses a lot of SH Lightning Kick approaches and always goes for spikes, Uair for star-ko's etc. What this style has to offer is that, with so many of Zelda's attacks being able to kill, you are a constant KO threat to your opponent. This makes your opponent think twice about every move because openings are possible KO. The drawback of this style is that it's risky. Zelda requires a lot of precise timing and a lot of precise spacing. When you are constantly on the offense and keeping pressure on your opponent you don't have a lot of time for either, so this style asks a lot of the player behind Zelda. Not everyone (including myself) is able to keep up this amount of pace with Zelda.

1b) Main Offensive Sheik :
- Sheik's offense is, of course, all about SPEED. Her moves aren't terribly strong, but they're fast and they have little lag. Make use of these two excellent qualities that are Sheik's main weapons. Sheik has the ability to literally overwhelm her opponent with attacks. Her dash attack has a very useful angle to it to knock opponents up and jump after them to harrass them. Her other main offensive weapons are her needles, her DSmash, her aerials and her Ftilt lock. Make sure to vary the way you use your needles. They are important as damage dealers (3% per needle, 18 max damage for a single volley) but perhaps even more important for breaking an opponent's moves and momentum. They make for a nice approach by throwing six of them ahead of you and rushing in after them. Finally, Sheik's recovery is great and her aerials are strong, this equals off-stage gimping ability. Sheik's main source of kills is rushing after opponents off-stage and finishing the job there. Be aware of this, as Sheik's inability to otherwise score kills could get frustrating.

The ability to just throw non-stop offense at your opponent is what makes this style great, but it also has its drawbacks. As stated, Sheik's attacks are somewhat lacking in strength so you are always vulnerable to counterattacks if you fail to knock the enemy away. The most useful attack to counter this is the Dsmash as it makes you a hard target and because it has decent knockback. Secondly, Sheik's main weakness is her lack of KO moves. She won't be KOing her opponents until pretty high percents and this means that the Sheik sooner or later will lose the momentum of her attacks and the initiative will shift to her opponent. Because of the time it takes for Sheik to actually claim the kill, this is practically inevitable, so be prepared for it.

I will cover her defensive style in this bit as well, as I feel that there really is no such thing as a purely defensive Sheik. Sheik is an agressive contact character that needs to be played as such. The defensive options that Sheik has available are of course her needles, her chain, her speed and, again, her off-stage abilities. As stated, the needles are fantastic weapons for stopping opponents' approaches, charge-ups, recoveries, attacks etc. Basically anything can be interrupted by a single needle, so make sure you do this. Limit your opponent's options and wait for the right time to retaliate. Which brings me to her speed. From a defensive standpoint, use her speed to retreat, to respace and, again, to interrupt. Sheik's attacks come out FAST so if you see your enemy winding up to land a huge blow, poke them in the eye and get the hell out instead of getting your head bashed in *coughIKEcough*. Needles are useful for this, but seeing as Sheik is a contact character you will more often than not find yourself close enough to throw out a more decent attack to interrupt your opponent. Then the chain. I must admit, I don't use it very often myself but it definitely has its uses. The tip stuns opponents and drives them back, which can buy you some time. I often feel, though, that that time is then wasted by Sheik having to pull the chain back in. Having the chain out and swinging around and around is a decent method of quickly clearing the space about you, but be careful when you use it, because it is easy to counter. Another use for the chain is defending the ledge with it. These two methods go hand in hand and are very similar in their execution. There are a bunch of other techniques with the chain. For example, one where you can imbue the chain with the properties of a previous attack called Chain Jacketing. Look it up in the Sheik forums if you want to know more. From a defensive standpoint, it is a viable tactic to pro-actively move the fight from on-stage to off-stage. With the chain and the Vanish move for recovery and a huge second jump and powerful, fast aerials for attacking, there are but few characters who can match Sheik off-stage. Try luring your opponent into off-stage battles to try and gain the upperhand.

2) Main Defensive/Counter style (Zelda)
- The exact opposite of the above. Players who camp Din's and wait for the opponent to approach and react as needed. Zelda also has a number of moves that allow for strategic manouvering of the opponent. Din's for drawing them in, Naryu's and Reverse Naryu's for relocating your opponent and, of course, FW to relocate yourself. This style also has its merits. Not every opponent is able to respond well to purely strategic play. A lot of mindgames come into play when a battle is fought out like this. However, the drawback of this style is that a lot of mindgames come into play when a battle is fought out like this :<. For this style to work, Zelda has to be able to read her opponent well, as she is reacting to what her enemy is doing. Guiding your opponent only goes so far. Once they figure out what you're doing and how you're doing it, you have to adapt and change your pattern, or you'll be a sitting duck.

As mentioned above ; Sheik's version of this style involves a lot of needling, locking and hit-and-run tactics. Sheik doesn't have as many options for strategically placing herself or her opponent but she is, of course, much faster than Zelda so hit-and-run is basically the name of the game here.

3) Damage Racking Sheik to KO Zelda
- This style involves using the speed, the approaches and the combos of Sheik to get your opponent to a high percentage then switching to Zelda to finish them off with a well-timed blow. I feel this style is decent enough. IMHO Zelda and Sheik were meant to be played as one character, else, they wouldn't have been put in the game as one character :F. The good thing about this style is that you take away the weaknesses that both characters possess and use the two to complement each other. There are, however, two dangers that players have to be aware of. 1) Sheik almost always has a slightly worse match-up than Zelda has (note the ALMOST) as she is far lighter than Zelda, far weaker than Zelda and a lot easier to bounce around. Remember that for this style to work you have to find a good time to transform. Creating said window of opportunity is easier said than done with Sheik. 2) There is one big, common and often fatal mistake many of these players (myself included) tend to make and that's : using the wrong character for the wrong job. Often after the change from S to Z players go on playing Z as if they were S and vice versa. Rushing at your opponent as Zelda while still having Sheik's speed in mind is a sure way to die and an easy mistake to make. DON'T DO IT.

4) Yin and Yang.
- This style is one of my personal favourites as it involves a huge, almost meta-battle, mindgame. It basically involves combining an Offensive style Sheik with a Strategic style Zelda, but in a slightly different way than the Racking S to KO Z tactic. Play Zelda as the strategic, space-dominating ownage that she is. Play the mindgames, do the warping and the spamming, let them come to you and never the other way around. Drive your opponent nuts while constantly staying one step ahead and out of reach. Then, just as they are adjusting to your style of play (usually takes a stock or 2 depending on your opponent) switch to Sheik and get RIGHT in their face using your speed, your combo's, anything you can think of. It's difficult to pull this style off as it only works if the difference in tactics is great enough that your opponent has to adjust back and forth. Also it's not always easy to make your opponent adjust to you as sometimes you'll be forced to adjust to him. When this style works, however, it brings a BIG smile to my face as you can literally see your opponents style fall apart as they try to keep up with you and fail utterly ;).

Well, these were just a couple of thoughts on different ways to play the character. Real fights aren't as black and white as all this, of course, but I find that having a number of different strategies at your disposal is never a bad thing. Most players will have developed their own styles of play which usually can be categorised as any given combination of above tactics. Still, it's all about options ;)

Finally, I'd really like to hear any thoughts you guys might have. If you have comments, suggestions or tactics of your own please share them. I love thinking about this stuff ;)

Mike B

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8237-0519
Awesome post; fun read.

My tactics are pretty screwed up... Juggle craploads with USmash, SD to Nayru's and BA/FA ... I don't know what the hell to be honest. Ninja Noob technique? @.@

PS: Kudos to your writing skills. i can hardly spit out a few sentences (like now :>)

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Edit: read my sig first. T'would explain how you got such a big reply out of me.

Eh, you might be wrong about the idea "It's not black and white as this in real fights". I just read an exact theoretical description to how i got fifth at my tournament weekend before last. My two biggest fights were fought Yin and Yang style. Actual I'd have to say three, i lost the last one :(. It's really great to splice Yin and Yang with damage racking KO Zelda. I also used some aggressive Zelda too, just a little bit. You sort of got to when your opponent is made of liquid crystal and has a bucket :p. You'll find that VERY, VERY few people play Yin Yang. Many Sheik players use Sheik, then Zelda for the kill, few will play a whole match with her. Likewise, some here will begrudgingly learn enough Sheik for Zelda's tough matchups, and switch to Zelda everytime they get anywhere near kill percent. Sorry, i get depressed about how small my peer group is. I mean, it seems like fewer people than the jiggs community.

Anyway, i have something that's a unique style that is useful for fighting Wario. Camping him is a good way to get you killed, unless it's one or two long range balls to make him mad. It's best to shuffle around, short hop around, air dodge around, duck, shield, roll... everything but stand still. If he's approaching, you do this in place till you have the advantage, then strike. If he won't approach (almost every wario will), do these actions towards him, trying to get a beneficial position. When you see it, it's probably a hyphen smash or ff kick, or perhaps a grab. You go for it. Rinse and repeat.

Try to reorganize the thread just a tad, its organization is heavily Zelda biased.

Oh my gosh on describing defensive Sheik you forgot the whip!!! How could you!! Amongst the most underestimated moves of the game, it stops billions of horizontal based approaches, and can punish some approaches with up to 50 damage if you use the chain-lock technique.

I wouldn't say Sheik rarely has a better matchup, i think it's more or less half the time. Actually, i believe both characters have a good fight against so much of the cast, that it would be hard for anyone to call it correctly. We all are either better Zelda players or better Sheik players, and it blends into the matchup qualities like needle in haystack. Just be open-minded about who could work best in every matchup. I thought i'd need Zelda's kill power the whole match against G&W, but i got a pleasant surprise when i decided to try both characters against a G&W in tournament play. Both can do well, it's a good Yin Yang matchup, IMO.

Don't ever say "it's what the designers intended" on these boards, people here are all about beating the man, not obeying the man. Or if you say "it's what the designers intended", let's go with transform being intended for avoiding Final Smashes. I mean that's probably right. Kind of like use Samus' final smash= change character. Avoiding one Final Smash = change character.

Yay, i'm happy to meet another dual mainer, welcome to the forums.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I probably play closest to style 3. I tend to use shiek to wrack up damage and Then Zelda to KO or to camp and survive at high damages.... or switch between them when moves decay and such .... but some matchups just call for one or the other... I mean if the foe is DDD, Metaknight or Icelimbers, I'm GOING to Be Zelda... but an Ike, Lucas or Olimar merits a straight shiek most of the time.

Actually though, one of the less obvious advantages to dual maining is the ability to counterpick mid match. Captain falcon, for example, is a character that, depending on my opponent, will sometimes be quite susseptable to Shiek comboes and other times might be incapable of bypassing a "fortressing" Zelda (at least that's what I call it when she stands there and doesn't let anyone inside)... I dunno I just find it a brilliant facet to a character that, if you can read your enemy well enough, you can completely change your playstyle to counter them. And, you still have the option to hybridize and exploit the strenghts of BOTH characters.

Somacruz2

Smash Journeyman
I've been doing Yin and Yang since Melee, its my personal favorite ^_^

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
Im both, Glad to meet a dual mainer(de ja vu...) Unless Shiek has a severe disadvantage against the incoming oponent, I start as shiek then to zelda. You can transform for the ko if you hit your oponent with a smash, or they are recovering from far out. On the shiek boards you can read Sinking Higher's transform techniques. They work =D

sniperworm

Smash Ace
I've evolved from a Zelda main to more of a Zelda/Sheik main, FYI. To me it's interesting because most Zelda's don't learn Sheik (like how popsofctown said).

Anyway, if I go Zelda or Sheik for the whole match, I'm generally #2 all the way. Recently, I've been trying to use both more, in which case I'm definitely #4 (I almost never transform just for a KO).

On a side note, as a Hawaii resident, I get to play against DM in person and I wish I could use an offensive Zelda like him (that's a Zelda that doesn't need Sheik, but I still think it'd help if he learned Sheik).

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
I like to stick to Yin & Yang and the only real time I stay as Offensive Zelda is when I have to fight a good Lucario, I find them most annoying to get inside if I were using Sheik, but Zelda seems to take out Lucario for me so that is really the only time I see myself as a #1.

I love being offensive so I guess in the end I like #1 & #4 to describe my style...with a hint of #3 to spice it up.

Oh Snap

Smash Ace
NNID
iSwallow
I've started to use Shiek aswell now. Racking damage seems to be easier with Shiek and she can also pressure her opponents with her fast attacks. Another thing is decay...I love it when I can kill someone with Zelda's usmash at 90-100%.

But honestly, I wish Sakurai made the transforming more convinent.

SeventhSage

Smash Apprentice
I didn't know there were so many Zelda/Sheik mainers like me.

I switch from Sheik to Zelda or Zelda to Sheik strategically and my approach depends on who I am fighting and if they're aggressive or offensive. I don't play risky at all because you don't want even the slightest damage on these lightweight ladies.

Zelda/Sheik in Symbiose FTW

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I've started to use Shiek aswell now. Racking damage seems to be easier with Shiek and she can also pressure her opponents with her fast attacks. Another thing is decay...I love it when I can kill someone with Zelda's usmash at 90-100%.

But honestly, I wish Sakurai made the transforming more convinent.
I think it's fine. If he made transform extremely fast, it wouldn't be as fair in my opinion. I am a Sheik main that switches to Zelda for the kill in most matchups but I also have a very good Zelda and I use her for floaty characters or characters Sheik can't handle(Ice Climbers, Kirby, Sonic). If I start a match out as Zelda I will usually stay Zelda until I get a stock ahead of my opponent. I then switch to Sheik in the hopes that on thier last life I rack up a lot of damage before I'm on my last life and then I have a fresh Zelda to come in and kill with almost anything.

Traumatisch

Smash Rookie
First of all, thanks for your in-depth reply popsofctown. I'll be reorganising as soon as I get a chance. I know the thread is heavily Zelda biased, it's because I used to be more of a Zelda mainer instead of Zelda/Sheik. Lately, though, I've hardly fought any battles without also turning to Sheik. The chain tactics aren't in for the same reason, I haven't seen a lot of players that have truely integrated it into their game (same goes for myself) but I'll be sure to explore it.

In the meantime, here's a suggestion for easy transformation that I'd like to see further explored (I don't have my Wii connected to the internet very often so I can only test this against CPU). As Sheik, when you want to transform (back) to Zelda, make use of the ledge. Simply hang from the ledge, double-jump straight up, positioning yourself slightly to the right of the edge (airdodge edgeguarders as needed) and start the transform move. If you timed it well, Zelda should automatically grab the ledge after the transformation. Should you fall below it, all is not lost either. Simply wait for Zelda to reach just about the bottom of the screen and FW straight up, sweetspotting the ledge.

Now, I don't know how effective this move would be against a good human player but the CPU is pretty much powerless against it. I can imagine this move getting edgehogged though, but maybe using FW's hitboxes it can be useful? Someone let me know :<.

sniperworm

Smash Ace
Um, because of the random loading time your edge transformation technique sounds kinda risky.

If you do get lucky and automatically grab the edge, I'm pretty sure it'll work on someone once (they'll probably be trying to smash you or something). Afterwards though, they'll just grab the edge while you're transforming, forcing you to UpB from below to save yourself (which means you're dead because it's super easy to edgehog Zelda's UpB if your opponent knows where you're planning to teleport).

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Traumatisch, here's something you should try.

As Sheik, hold down and slightly in either direction lightly when in your tumbling animation, hit jump and then hit B. You soar upwards while transforming. The distance you cover is easily, say, from the ledge of BattleField to the center of the uppermost platform. Easily. You should be Zelda by the time your momentum comes to an end.

You will move faster than any projectile or attack can hit you, so you are completely safe.

As Zelda, again when tumbling, hold DIAGONALLY down and forward/backward, and hit jump then B. She will move upwards, and glide downwards. If done from the Danger Bubble in FD, you can glide all the way to the ledge before you emerge as Sheik.

This is slower than Sheiks, however, assuming you only changed to Zelda to KO, then it doesnt matter. You can transform before they die and come back.

I find these to be REALLY useful when transforming. As a bonus, you still have your recovery available.

The longer you wait after jumping before hitting B, the slower/less distance they go. Timing is everything.

NEW VID:

Guide to all Sheik/Zelda Jumping Specials

S2

Smash Lord
Excellent video.

It's about time Zelda/Sheik started getting weighted as 1 character. They are always listed separately for everything, which is a mistake. This isn't melee where Sheik is high tier and Zelda is bottom. It made sense then to separate them since Zelda really brought nothing to the table.

But in Brawl their potential is much higher when you use both. Matchup charts and potential tier listings don't give them justice.

Sheik is probably low by herself and Zelda should be towards the top of the mid tier (although I do see her listed as low sometimes, dunnowhy).

But honestly, good Sheik/Zelda mainers aren't using just one. Together they have few bad matchups, a ton of playstyle possibilities, and good killing power.

Sheik is low tier because she can't kill with gimping. If you consider Zelda/Sheik as 1 character, that's not a problem. That completely changes where she's placed. Same with Zelda - she destroys some characters and gets hurt really bad by others. Guess what, you can use Sheik to make those matchups much better.

I dunno. I think Zelda/Sheik is currently the most under rated Brawl character. And it'll probably always be that way unless matchup charts and tier predictions start weighing them how they are actually used... as 1 character with 2 forms.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Excellent video.

It's about time Zelda/Sheik started getting weighted as 1 character. They are always listed separately for everything, which is a mistake. This isn't melee where Sheik is high tier and Zelda is bottom. It made sense then to separate them since Zelda really brought nothing to the table.

But in Brawl their potential is much higher when you use both. Matchup charts and potential tier listings don't give them justice.

Sheik is probably low by herself and Zelda should be towards the top of the mid tier (although I do see her listed as low sometimes, dunnowhy).

But honestly, good Sheik/Zelda mainers aren't using just one. Together they have few bad matchups, a ton of playstyle possibilities, and good killing power.

Sheik is low tier because she can't kill with gimping. If you consider Zelda/Sheik as 1 character, that's not a problem. That completely changes where she's placed. Same with Zelda - she destroys some characters and gets hurt really bad by others. Guess what, you can use Sheik to make those matchups much better.

I dunno. I think Zelda/Sheik is currently the most under rated Brawl character. And it'll probably always be that way unless matchup charts and tier predictions start weighing them how they are actually used... as 1 character with 2 forms.
You underrate Zelda. Even I can see she's high tier material!

Traumatisch

Smash Rookie
I never understand why people fail to see the sheik/zelda potential. Everyone's always talking about how Zelda's got an insane amount of KO moves, great power and great space dominating potential but lacks approaches and combo's. Then they go on about Sheik saying she's got great combo's and approaches but lacks KO moves....

Seriously.... how can you not see the connection here ?

I think this kind of reasoning clearly suggests that Zelda and Sheik were MEANT to be played as one character. Like you said S2, separating the two might've been the Melee way, but things've changed and, IMHO, Zelda and Sheik are now two parts of one awesome death dealing machine :F.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I never understand why people fail to see the sheik/zelda potential. Everyone's always talking about how Zelda's got an insane amount of KO moves, great power and great space dominating potential but lacks approaches and combo's. Then they go on about Sheik saying she's got great combo's and approaches but lacks KO moves....

Seriously.... how can you not see the connection here ?

I think this kind of reasoning clearly suggests that Zelda and Sheik were MEANT to be played as one character. Like you said S2, separating the two might've been the Melee way, but things've changed and, IMHO, Zelda and Sheik are now two parts of one awesome death dealing machine :F.

I think it's because they're considered seperate in tier lists, so it never crosses peoples minds to consider them as one character.

Just another reason why tiers suck.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
Tiers are really only for relative use. Tiers do not lie when they say a god tier character has broken moves... however they miss afew points, and the tier creator is normally biassed with his/her own character. Anyway due to the law of large numbers the more popular character will have the higest tier spots really, because they have a much greater chance of winning tournaments due to the fact that half the ppl entering the tornament is that character

goodkid

Smash Lord
Zelda/Sheik is underated. I'm sure they are much better played together, possibly high tier not that it matters, but Zelda is mid-tier alone & Sheik low-tier alone.

Traumatisch

Smash Rookie
Alright, I updated the thread just a bit. Added some info for Sheik's playing styles. Can you believe the post got even longer ? -_-

I think I need to find ways to say things without using so many words o_O

Thx for the Wario bit popsofctown. Everyone else, share your tactics plz ;)

Top Bottom