• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Mafia! Town Wins! GGs to all

X1-12

Smash Champion

Welcome to your first game of Mafia on Smashboards! Mafia is a very fun game of strategy, psychology, and deception. While the game may seem a bit overwhelming at first, these "Newbie Mafia" games are designed to help players get into the swing of things. The game will be composed of nine players: Seven that are new to mafia, and two IC (Inexperience Challenged) players that will show you the ropes throughout the game.

Now for the mechanics of the game. Mafia is divided into two alternating phases of "Day" and "Night". During the Day players are allowed to post within the thread, debate amongst each other, and most importantly, vote for whom they would like to be lynched for that day. When a player has been voted for by a majority of the players, that player will be lynched and removed from the game! Following the players lynch, hte game moderator will then reveal the player's alignment (Town, Mafia, Etc) and role to the rest of the players and the Day Phase will end. During the Night Phase, the entire thread goes silent. However, Mafia will still be able to talk amongst themselves privately. Through private communication, they'll then be able to select one player to kill for the night, and, baring nothing prevents this action, the player will show up dead the following morning, having their alignment and role revealed. This process continues until either all of Mafia are eliminated through lynch, or Mafia eliminates enough players to have control over the town and its votes.

This particular Newbie game is based upon the theme: The Legend of Zelda. It is not based upon one game but instead upon the series as a whole. Fortunately this game has an open set-up so knowledge of the theme, or flavour, is not necessary.

[collapse=Set-ups:]
This is an Open Set-up, where the game may be one of the following setups. I do not confirm which of the following set-ups this is.
[A] 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Cop, 6 Vanilla Townies
2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Doctor, 6 Vanilla Townies
[C] 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Sane Cop, 1 Sane Doctor, 5 Vanilla Townies
[D] 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Vanilla Townies

[collapse=So what do these roles do?]
Town Sane Cop: Can investigate one player each night phase to find out if they are in the mafia

Town Sane Doctor: Can protect one player from the mafia kill each night. The doctor cannot protect themself

Mafia Roleblocker: Can target one player per night and stop that player from being able to use their abilities on that night.[/collapse][/collapse][collapse=Rules:]
Fundamentals
1.) Have fun and do not personally attack another player in an offensive manner.
2.) Once you have died in the game, you are only allowed to make 1 more post which should consist of “bah go scum/town”
3.) No communication about this game is allowed with non-players or players who are dead, even if you yourself are dead. (If you are dead, you may not discuss the game with anyone who is currently playing, even if you could while you were alive, unless your role specifically states otherwise.)
4.) Unless your role PM specifically allows you the power, you are not to communicate with anyone about this game outside of this game thread. This includes posting content outside of the game thread and linking to it in the game thread.
5.) Do not edit your posts. Double posting is fine in its place.
6.) I reserve the right to deny anyone from signing up/replacing.
7.) You are not allowed to quote any mod communication of any kind, real or fake. You must paraphrase all information you wish to claim. This includes any additional PMs I may send to you outside of your role PM. You are not allowed to post or refer to any images in your role PM, nor may you post metadata about mod PMs in an attempt to break the game (e.g., message ID in the URL, time of day the message was sent, etc.).
8.) You may not post screenshots of any kind.
9.) The use of non-English, invisible, hidden, coded, or otherwise intentionally hidden or indecipherable text is strictly prohibited. (Spoiler tags are allowed because they are easily noticeable. This rule is not meant to disallow breadcrumbing within the visible text of a message.)
10.) You may not quote logs of communication with other players. You are free to paraphrase.
11.) Failure to send in your night action(s) will result in no action(s) being taken.
12.) Failure to adhere to the rules will result in replacement or modkill based on the moderator's discretion.

Voting and Lynching
1.) Each Day, you may vote for a player to be lynched using a bold vote command. For example, vote: Swiss.
2.) To unvote, use the command unvote. For example, unvote vote: Sworddancer.. You must unvote before voting again or your second vote will not be counted
3.) No lynch is a viable lynch choice and a majority will end the Day without a lynch. For example, vote: No Lynch.
4.) After the majority lynch has been decided but before the lynch scene is posted, there will be a Twilight phase. Everyone can post in this phase, including the lynch majority target. The Twilight phase ends when I post the lynch scene and officially begin the Night phase.
5.) The Day will end when a majority lynch is decided or a preset deadline has been reached. If deadline is reached without a majority lynch decided, there will be no lynch.
6.) There is no posting in this thread during the Night phase, the thread should be closed anyway.

Activity and Deadline
1.) You are required to post every 72 hours. If you fail to do so, you will be prodded. An accumulation of too many prods (however much I think that is) will result in your replacement or a modkill depending on the circumstances. When feasible, I will tell you if I'm considering replacing/modkilling you if feasible. If you will be inactive for an extended period of time, you must notify me in advance. Unexcused or particularly long absences may result in your replacement or modkill.
2.) I do not expect to grant deadline extensions, barring extenuating circumstances. In the event I need to replace a player, I may extend the deadline to accommodate the new player. Certain game events may also result in a change of deadline.
3.) Days will generally last 10 days.
4.) Nights will generally last approximately 48 hours. If you have a Night action and do not wish to use it, please send me a PM to that effect, lest I have to wait until the deadline for naught.

Game-specific
1.) The game mod is the game god. However, if you feel the game god happens to be testing your faith by placing an error in the game, then please feel free to point it out via PM
2.) All roles are assigned entirely at random.
3.) Modkills only end days if the player being modkilled is town-aligned. Otherwise, day continues. In the event that a player is modkilled during twilight/night, the modkill will affect the next day phase (meaning that day would automatically end if the player is town and that day would continue as normal if otherwise). Exceptions to this rule may be made based on the state of the game and my personal judgment.
4.) All of these rules are written on a dry erase board. In the event of a conflict between these rules and any game-specific rules or mod communication, the game-specific rules/mod communication take precedence.[/collapse]

[collapse=Players]
Alive Player List:
2.) GwJumpman
3.) SkylerOcon
4.) BSL
5.) Adagio
8.) Swiss (IC)
9.) Sworddancer. (IC)

Replacements:
1.) J
2.) Inferiority Complex
3.) Nabe

Dead Players:
1.) Blaziking17 (Talon, Vanilla Townie) Lynched D1
7.) J (The Wind Fish, Vanilla Townie) Died N1
6.) Gova (Vaati, Mafia Goon) Lynched D2
[/collapse][collapse= links]
Day 1 starts!
Day 2 starts!
Day 3 starts!
[/collapse]

If you have any questions about anything in this thread, PM me! I'm here to help

X1-12

Smash Champion
Credit to Hilt and Roxy for some of the spiel in the first post, At this time Role PMs will be on their way to you, follow the instructions inside.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Confirming :)

EDIT:
SkylerOcon is a newbie?

Also, good luck to everyone and welcome to DGames!

I had the same question when I saw the thread title. I signed up on the Legend of Zelda boards and he didn't have this up as a newbie game there. Oh well, I've only played like two games of mafia before, so I'm still pretty much a newbie.

X1-12

Smash Champion
If Phantom7 does not confirm in the next 24 hours I will start the game anyway and send him a prod. I suggest you all subscribe to this thread so you know when the game starts.

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
I won't be able to post Saturday since I'll be at a tournament. Just letting everyone know incase the game starts and I'm not here.

X1-12

Smash Champion
Day 1 Begins!

The citizens of Hyrule meet for serious discussion, it appears there are some out to endanger the sacred land with their evil plots, there are two of them! You must find out who they are, use your wits! Good luck newbies.

Day 1 Begins!

No votes have been placed.
it takes 5/9 to lynch. Deadline is Nov 11th

Phantom7 has been prodded

A reminder: now the game has started, editing your posts is not allowed, all edits will be reversed

Swiss

Smash Lord
Hello!

K, I'm Swiss, also known as the resident 'nice guy'.

Couple of questions for y'all.

1) Who knows who here?

2) Who has read up on the 'mafia scum' jargon?

3) Who is completely new to this?

4) What do people think about Phantom's inactivity after he saw his role?

5) What do you think of the post above yours and why.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
1) Who knows who here?
I recognize a few of the players, but the only one I could say I really knew was Phantom7. Don't think he counts as a player anymore though, haha.

2) Who has read up on the 'mafia scum' jargon?
I know it

3) Who is completely new to this?
Not completely, but I'm still pretty new to it.

4) What do people think about Phantom's inactivity after he saw his role?
Him legitimately not having time. I think he wouldn't have completely dropped the game just because of his role.

5) What do you think of the post above yours and why.
I think question four adequately answers this too!

X1-12

Smash Champion
Just a reminder: It is strongly Suggested that you subscribe to this thread.

I will look into replacing Phantom7

Blaziking17

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RobeezyLnP
3DS FC
1547-5531-6535
Hi, Swiss, that doesn't look like a couple of questions, but nonetheless, I can answer them all.

I am a total noob playing mafia. I know some of the people from the Zelda and Pokemon Smashboards forums. I read up on basic rules and other stuff. Phantom's inactivity is a little suspicious, but nothing to get too worried about. It's just something to keep in the back of our minds. I think I can trust this post because he is a mod! Lol

#HBC | Dancer

The nicest of the damned.
Bking no edits!

Hello everyone, Sworddancer here. As I'm sure you already know, Swiss and I are the IC (inexperienced challenged) players for this game. Basically, both Swiss and I are already fairly experienced players, but we're playing through this game so to help you guys out if needed. If any of you have any questions about mafia, feel free to ask one of us about it.

Anyways, first thing's first, the RVS. In mafia, we usually start things out by something called the random voting stage (RVS). What we generally do in this stage is randomly vote other players. This is just kinda meant to start things out to get this game rolling. People also like to ask random questions during this phase of the game, and sometimes this is called the random question stage (RQS). However, RVS is the more popular name of this phase, and both really are kind of the same thing (that is, we both place random votes and ask random questions at the same time).

Vote SkylerOcon

Cause I want to.

Adagio

Smash Rookie
1) I don't know anyone here other than I've seen you (Swiss) play in some recent games.

2) I know a lot of Mafia terminology.

3) To Mafia, not at all. To playing online, rather new.

4) Likely just a result of him forgetting about the game and / or not having time. Happens to everyone I think.

5) I appreciate that you (Swiss) and Sworddancer will be helping us get acclimated to the game and I'm interested to see how you both play in this game!

Vote: BSL

Blazblue is pretty sweet haha.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Reversed Blazingking's edit. Remember all, double post instead of edit in mafia games. Happy mafia-ing :).

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
i refuse to answer swiss' questions because he is scum, like he is in every game. lol.

vote: Swiss

jk.

1) Only know swiss, i think he is in every game i have been in so far, lol. no flips yet for him, so i dont actually know if he is always scum.

2) i know my mafia jargon

3) havent finished a game yet. only been killed in one game so far, flipped town.

4) how do you know his inactivity came after he saw his role?

5) sold isnt even in the game, lol. ill go to the post above it. adagio is probably swiss' scumbuddy cause he is a fan of Blazblue but doesnt have a bang avatar.

FoS: Adagio

am i serious?

Swiss

Smash Lord
K.

I don't like how BSL mentioned the "am I serious" bit - it's RVS - no vote or FoS is serious. Other than this. FoS BSL. Anyway, I've only been scum in 2/3rds of my games.

That's finger of suspicion - used when someone makes a bad or scummy post but you aren't ready to commit to voting them.

1.) Blaziking17
2.) GwJumpman
3.) SkylerOcon
4.) BSL
5.) Adagio
6.) Gova
7.) Phantom7
8.) Swiss (IC)
9.) Sworddancer. (IC)

Player list so we don't forget people.

Adagio is town imo.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
unvote

blaziken, how do you feel about actual inactivity. people who were active, but then stopped being active. not people like Phantom.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
EBWOP: 'inactivity?'** not 'inactivity.'

it should be a question.

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
Ok, so I just got back from the tournament so here are my answers to Swiss' questions

1) I don't know anyone here other than Swiss because I read a game he was in.

2) I read up on the terms before the game started

3) I've never played a game of mafia before if that's what you mean by being completely new

4) I think you should know your plans before you commit to something. His role shouldn't play a factor in his activity.

5) The answer to 4 applies here as well. People that are active and then suddenly inactive should let everyone know that they will be gone or ask to have someone replace them if necessary

Also

Vote: GwJumpman

Swiss

Smash Lord
Ok, so I just got back from the tournament so here are my answers to Swiss' questions

1) I don't know anyone here other than Swiss because I read a game he was in.
Which?

Rephrase Q5 of my questions to mean "the post above yours which is not posted by Swiss".

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
The bioware mafia, though you were on a hyrda? it had your name listed.

Isn't the post above mine by BSL asking blaziken about his view on activity?

X1-12

Smash Champion
J officially replaces Phantom7. Phantom7 is no longer allowed to post in this thread or communicate with others about this game.

From now on all mod posts will be in this colour, so it is easy separate them from game posts

Adagio

Smash Rookie
Adagio is town imo.
I'm interested to know how you already came to that conclusion considering I only posted once outside of confirming. Obviously I'm not as experienced at this game so maybe I'm missing something but it doesn't seem like enough to make a judgment.

And are we still in RVS?

#HBC | Dancer

BKing I don't remember what your edit was. Why did you edit?

@Adagio: Yes, we are. I say that simply because not everyone has answered Swiss'es questions yet, and disscusion hasn't really picked up yet too much. The post RVS part of this game is where dicccusion and scumhunting really start to pick up. There typucally is no clear defined line seperating RVS from the rest of the game, but when we're out of RVS, you'll know.

Other then that though, I'll say that you need to chillax bro. It's pretty obvious that Swiss was joking.

unvote vote Adagio

Swiss

Smash Lord
I hydra'd with X1, the mod of this game.

This game has started inactive. If people aren't posting we'll have to lynch them. It'll be the scum who are the last people to post in all likliehood. They'll want to stall the game.

#HBC | Dancer

EBWOP:

@Adagio: No, we aren't. I say that simply because not everyone has answered Swiss'es questions yet, and disscusion hasn't really picked up yet too much. The post RVS part of this game is where dicccusion and scumhunting really start to pick up. There typically is no clear defined line seperating RVS from the rest of the game, but when we're out of RVS, you'll know.
Fix in bold. It was a mistake to answer the question with a yes.

#HBC | Dancer

Swiss it has been about a day since this game began, and it's the weekend. I say that it's unfair to call anyone a lurker yet. No?

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
heya! I am J and I'll be replacing for Phantom7.

Ill get started with Swiss' question.

1.) I know you, X1-12, and BSL from a previous game or two :o

2.) I have tried to learn most of the mafia scum terms tho it seems i still get a few mix'd-up/dont know ^^"

3.) Nope not completely new i think.

4.) Uuuuh should I really answer this?I have no clue as to why he wouldnt post in the thread but he has stated his reasonings =x

5.) <3 Swiss because he always makes things interesting and his domo ava :3

Vote: J

I want one too ;_;

Top Bottom