• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Franchise Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Wellllllllllll, let's be honest, there is a difference between tweaking/removing one character and the wholesale slaughter of half your series's cast and replacing them with younger, blander doppelgangers. I honestly have no idea what happened with the development of SCV... what an unholy mess. There was a whole heck of a lot more wrong with the game than just the roster, too.

I mean, I still bought it, but that's because I like the character creator.
Well, there was a general rage, but there was also rage for specific characters. I especially remember the one with Kilik, it was intense. "OH GOD WHAT HAVE THEY DONE D:"

Great game by the way, I still love playing with Dampierre's style and the editor is REALLY good.

I mean... if there's a place to discuss it, this is the place. Sure, there's not actually anything new to say about the subject, but... that's kind of true for every Smash topic.
I actually agree with that.

There's just about 4 (maybe more topics) in the Zelda section in which the argument took place/is probably still happening.
... But I also agree with that.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
There's just about 4 (maybe more topics) in the Zelda section in which the argument took place/is probably still happening.
Sure, but that's just an argument to keep the topic out of those threads, not this one. And I'd actually argue that the conversation/perspective is a little different in Sheik's thread and Impa's thread than it is here, in the Zelda-as-a-whole thread. *shrug* But I get the frustration. Still, really the issue is that there's nothin' better to talk about anyway. :p

Eh, I have huge problems with what they chose to do/not do with SCV. The story mode, for instance, is shamefully bad. But that's okay, back to Zelda, ha.

So, while I'm sure this has been talked about, but... for the people who would prefer Toon Zelda over Tetra... why?

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Hmmm... care to elaborate? I'm interested as to why you feel this way
She's important in Ocarina of Time, a game that was recently remade, people know her, and she's a ninja, which besides her, we don't have anyone who fits that category.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
She's important in Ocarina of Time, a game that was recently remade, people know her, and she's a ninja, which besides her, we don't have anyone who fits that category.
Well there is ONE other ninja option for Nintendo who is more recent and very very popular...not from Zelda though;

Not that I think Sheik's in any danger of being cut anyway.

I mean Sakurai was planning to include the made up Toon Sheik, he likes the character so much.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
SHEIK IS ZELDA! IMPA IS NOT ZELDA!
Is that an argument for Sheik being more important of a character or Impa being more important? It could be taken as "Sheik is Zelda, the title character of the series" or alternately as "Sheik isn't even a character, s/he's just an inconsequential costume change and a disguise".

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
Is that an argument for Sheik being more important of a character or Impa being more important? It could be taken as "Sheik is Zelda, the title character of the series" or alternately as "Sheik isn't even a character, s/he's just an inconsequential costume change and a disguise".
Yeah, I'm kind of confused about what that point was too. Shy Guy, could you clarify a bit?

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Is Impa really that important of a character in Ocarina of Time? Shiek is a lot more important.
Important enough train/hide zelda, be one of the sages, and to also appear regularly in some form in other games. OOT impa is still referenced in WW's hyrule castle. She serves an even greater purpose in the long run, sheik is really only still around because she's been in the roster and is zelda, other than that she has less of a reason to be in than some of the Zelda characters people already shoot down on a regular basis.

And to shy guy, of course she's not Zelda, no one implied she was.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
It's about Sheik having more chances than Impa since Zelda is already there and Zelda is Sheik! I will just protect a character that I love using all arguments I can use

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
It's about Sheik having more chances than Impa since Zelda is already there and Zelda is Sheik! I will just protect a character that I love using all arguments I can use
Do you honestly believe that a character is more likely, purely based on the fact that they are an alter ego of a character already on the roster?
With that logic, Mr. L would naturally be in this game before Rosalina. I mean, Luigi is already there, right?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Do you honestly believe that a character is more likely, purely based on the fact that they are an alter ego of a character already on the roster?
With that logic, Mr. L would naturally be in this game before Rosalina. I mean, Luigi is already there, right?
Yeah, or Dr. Mario would of been in before Wari-wait.

But yeah, Impa's still got quite a big role in OoT. If it wasn't for Zelda BEING Sheik, I'd say Impa, being the sage of the shadow temple is more impressive than some ninja who teaches you a song on a harp.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
No one is denying sheiks chances, of course they are better since she has been in the last few smash games. Sakurai is a sap for "tradition for traditions sake", so that definitely gives her the edge. We're just saying there might be a better and more important character in impa who could inherit some of that character in the games moving forward. For us to get any change in these games and not end up playing a madden level update, a few eggs need to be broken and or changed. Impa is a character that still has potential to bring in new things and potential from new Zelda games, sheik has hit a brick wall since OOT. I'm a big fan of everything Zelda, but having the entire cast unchanged again seems boring as hell so I want a bit of change up if any. I know many don't want a damn thing different, but I can't agree with that when we wont find out unless they try some new things.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
And technically, Impa teaches you Zelda's Lullaby, heh. The thing that actually bugs me about Sheik in Smash is that there was nothing to indicate that Zelda actually had the skills and training of the Sheikah, yet in Smash she is treated like actually is Sheikah.

Oh, and Sheik of the Sheikah is a silly name, unless there's an actual historical explanation for the name's weird redundancy.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Because being able to show up from nowhere and escaping the great king of evil for seven years, yet bearing the Triforce of Wisdom is less impressive than being trapped in a dark dungeon now? :troll:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Because being able to show up from nowhere and escaping the great king of evil for seven years, yet bearing the Triforce of Wisdom is less impressive than being trapped in a dark dungeon now? :troll:
I suppose you could count it as an impressive feat we didn't see or know about until right at the end, but then if we're doing this surely Din, Nayru and Farore should be in over Sheik, since they created the world and the Triforce in the first place.

I mean we didn't see much of it(save for a small cutscene), but that's more impressive than running and hiding from a scary man who is easily bested by a floppy haired elf in tights.:troll:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
This argument is stupid. Every time someone posts, I can feel brain cells dying.

a scary man who is easily bested by a floppy haired elf in tights.
Considering Ganon thoroughly whooped Link's ass and killed him in one of the timelines, I don't think there's anything easy about it.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I'm curious now...

Do those who want Sheik to stay just because she's already there also want Ganondorf to keep his current moveset?
That's a good point, but...

Sheik is ninja-ish, therfore, she have ninja moves.
Ganondorf is the great king of evil. Therefore he have a moveset similar to a sentai inspired F-Zero racer. Wait, what?

I, personally, want to keep Sheik and FINALLY have a real Ganondorf.

I suppose you could count it as an impressive feat we didn't see or know about until right at the end, but then if we're doing this surely Din, Nayru and Farore should be in over Sheik, since they created the world and the Triforce in the first place.

I mean we didn't see much of it(save for a small cutscene), but that's more impressive than running and hiding from a scary man who is easily bested by a floppy haired elf in tights.:troll:
At this point, we should have Miyamoto as a Zelda rep as he created the goddesses that created Hyrule :troll:

Last edited:

Kamiko

Smash Ace
That's a good point, but...

Sheik is ninja-ish, therfore, she have ninja moves.
Ganondorf is the great king of evil. Therefore he have a moveset similar to a sentai inspired F-Zero racer. Wait, what?
I'm not really sure how that's relevent to what I said. Do you only want Sheik to stay because she's already in? There are people who want Ganondorf to stay the same just because they've gotten used to how he is now, which I think is dumb.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Well, we could have Miyamoto's parents, as they created Miyamoto :troll: But at this point, the joke is going too far.
You know I'm 99.9% sure this is how the Stork thread happened and gained so much momentum.

If we see a Miyamoto's parents thread, I totally called it.

On topic; Sheik probably will stay, since she's got a Twilight Princess-esque design already, and Sakurai seems attached to her/him.

I'm not going to lie though; I'd be more excited about a Zelda newcomer than seeing Sheik return.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I'm not really sure how that's relevent to what I said. Do you only want Sheik to stay because she's already in? There are people who want Ganondorf to stay the same just because they've gotten used to how he is now, which I think is dumb.
I want Sheik because she is what makes Zelda really original. Zelda is the only character that can transform whenever she wants and without any downside. Zelda's moveset is great and original, Sheik's moveset is great and original too. Being able to switch if you want is, to me, a core of Zelda in Smash. Even if I play Zelda more, I like to switch if needed.

About Ganondorf, I would still play him if he keeps his moveset. But there's enough boss battles with him to take things from it.
I guess Ganondorf had a punching moveset because of his boss battle in Ocarina of Time, it makes actually sense in Melee.

I'm not going to lie though; I'd be more excited about a Zelda newcomer than seeing Sheik return.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master

Admittedly though I'm not entirely sure who I'd prefer from the potential newcomers; Impa, Tingle, Vaati or Tetra. Each have their merits and flaws.

Watch as Sakurai suckerpunches us with Beedle now.
My personal picks still are Midna and Tingle. We'll see! I already have Zelda, and we will surely have Ganondorf, so everything will be fine for me anyway.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
I want Sheik because she is what makes Zelda really original. Zelda is the only character that can transform whenever she wants and without any downside. Zelda's moveset is great and original, Sheik's moveset is great and original too. Being able to switch if you want is, to me, a core of Zelda in Smash. Even if I play Zelda more, I like to switch if needed.
Hmm. . . Would you be fine with Impa replacing Sheik as part of Zelda's moveset? Not that anyone's expecting that at this point, but it's been suggested in the past. Personally, the way I see it, Sheik isn't very important to Zelda as a character, so pretending otherwise doesn't represent her very well.

About Ganondorf, I would still play him if he keeps his moveset. But there's enough boss battles with him to take things from it.
I guess Ganondorf had a punching moveset because of his boss battle in Ocarina of Time, it makes actually sense in Melee.
I'm actually okay with Ganondorf fighting unarmed, I just don't think all the moves he has are very fitting.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Hmm. . . Would you be fine with Impa replacing Sheik as part of Zelda's moveset? Not that anyone's expecting that at this point, but it's been suggested in the past. Personally, the way I see it, Sheik isn't very important to Zelda as a character, so pretending otherwise doesn't represent her very well.
I would be fine if we had the SS Zelda. It would not be a transform move, but a switch move. But as Zelda's look comes from Twilight Princess, the TP Impa would be a bit weird :troll:

The fact is: I don't want Sheik's moveset to be separated from Zelda. So I don't want Sheik gone.

I'm actually okay with Ganondorf fighting unarmed, I just don't think all the moves he has are very fitting.
I do like his side special in Brawl, but the moveset in general lacks a Ganondorf feel. I don't necessary want a sword, but some more magic would be cool.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
I would be fine if we had the SS Zelda. It would not be a transform move, but a switch move. But as Zelda's look comes from Twilight Princess, the TP Impa would be a bit weird :troll:
I honestly don't think the designs should've been taken from any game. If I were making this, I would've created original designs that I felt best captured the feel of each character. But since that's not the case, then yes it would be weird to see Impa show up like that. Except that Sheik is also weird to see for the same reason. . . .

The fact is: I don't want Sheik's moveset to be separated from Zelda. So I don't want Sheik gone.
. . . . so I have to ask: Do you want the transformation to stay just because you're used to it and you've grown to like it, or is there another reason? If Melee never happened, and you had to design Zelda, do you think you would've given her a transformation?

I do like his side special in Brawl, but the moveset in general lacks a Ganondorf feel. I don't necessary want a sword, but some more magic would be cool.
More magic punches would be nice.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Again, I don't mind any Zelda newcommer (well, except Impa as a Sheik replacement, but I'll never "DUH THIS GAME IS BAD, NINTENDO RUINED IT D:"). I just feel that Midna and Tingle can bring more (and, yes, it's also because I like them.)

Edit:
. . . so I have to ask: Do you want the transformation to stay just because you're used to it and you've grown to like it, or is there another reason? If Melee never happened, and you had to design Zelda, do you think you would've given her a transformation?
Well, I'm used to it, I like it, but it's also for character diversity. Again, this transform move is unique in Smash, even with Samus and the Pokémon Trainer.

Now, if I had to design Zelda, it would depend. If we were in the OoT era, I would probably had designed Zelda with the ability to transform. I guess.
Edit 2: And even if I had to make a second Smash, with OoT being old (Brawl situation), I also would keep the Sheik transformation. I don't really like roster cuts and changes. Additional moves, and new gameplay mechanics, I'm ok, but changes, not so much.

Last edited:

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Well, I'm used to it, I like it, but it's also for character diversity. Again, this transform move is unique in Smash, even with Samus and the Pokémon Trainer.

Now, if I had to design Zelda, it would depend. If we were in the OoT era, I would probably had designed Zelda with the ability to transform. I guess.
Edit 2: And even if I had to make a second Smash, with OoT being old (Brawl situation), I also would keep the Sheik transformation. I don't really like roster cuts and changes. Additional moves, and new gameplay mechanics, I'm ok, but changes, not so much.
So what if a different character had that ability instead? Would that be fine?

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
So what if a different character had that ability instead? Would that be fine?
Well, if it change Zelda and remove her originality I'm against it.

Zelda is already an original fighter, being the glasscannon of smash, but still.

The main problem is the princess. I would be less opposed if, for exemple Lucas replaced Ness and kept his moveset (but I still don't like this idea) as it basically become a skin change. But with Zelda, adding Impa and removing Sheik would change a lot the princess. And, as we have the TP one, a change with the SS or OoT Impa would seem out of place.
As I'm saying this, I don't mind the TP Sheik design as it was something considered for TP itself. Sure, she didn't appeared in the end for some reasons, but she had the design ready to be done.

Edit: Missed the point. As a Zelda fan (the games and the character, especially the TP Zelda), it would not be fine at all :laugh: But this time, I clearly admit it's biased.

Edit 2: After re-reading myself, I didn't really missed the point after all... :facepalm:

Last edited:

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Well, if it change Zelda and remove her originality I'm against it.

Zelda is already an original fighter, being the glasscannon of smash, but still.

The main problem is the princess. I would be less opposed if, for exemple Lucas replaced Ness and kept his moveset (but I still don't like this idea) as it basically become a skin change. But with Zelda, adding Impa and removing Sheik would change a lot the princess. And, as we have the TP one, a change with the SS or OoT Impa would seem out of place.
As I'm saying this, I don't mind the TP Sheik design as it was something considered for TP itself. Sure, she didn't appeared in the end for some reasons, but she had the design ready to be done.
Regardless of what design is chosen, Zelda's uniqueness should come from her use of magic. She should be the one can fight without having to move around much. I don't see her losing any originality without a transformation.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Regardless of what design is chosen, Zelda's uniqueness should come from her use of magic. She should be the one can fight without having to move around much. I don't see her losing any originality without a transformation.
Well, she would lose her ability to have another form hence her ability to handle things differently, and the ability to change tactics, hence the ability the destabilize the opponent.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Yep, but why removing it from her, when it can be added to others? Like, for example, Diddy Kong and Dixie (the switch with a DK barrel would be awesome)?

I'm fine with adding the "transform without downside" to others characters, by the way. But not removing it from an existing character. (especially the one I like the most :troll:)

It would be like leaving Popo alone to have Plusle and Minun instead. Why not both? (yes, I like to use the Ice Climbers as an argument, I know :p )

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Yep, but why removing it from her, when it can be added to others? Like, for example, Diddy Kong and Dixie (the switch with a DK barrel would be awesome)?

I'm fine with adding the "transform without downside" to others characters, by the way. But not removing it from an existing character. (especially the one I like the most :troll:)

It would be like leaving Popo alone to have Plusle and Minun instead. Why not both? (yes, I like to use the Ice Climbers as an argument, I know :p )
But that takes me back to the first thing I said, where by that logic, Ganondorf's moves shouldn't be changed. But most people want that to happen. So why is Zelda different?

Remember that for every unique feature a character gets, another unique possibility gets left out. Every other character can be seen as Zelda without a transformation, or Samus without her Charge Beam. That's why it's important that each character gets the best, most fitting qualities they can. Otherwise we're left thinking too much about what could've been...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom