• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Franchise Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Seeing as how Sheik is her own slot and Ganondorf coming eventually I guess that means we probably aren't getting a newcomer for the Zelda series, and frankly if that means Ghirahim won't be playable then I'm all for it as he does not deserve to be playable.

Mr_Anderson

Smash Cadet
Legend of Zelda has had five reps since Melee, though. Even though they transformed, Zelda and Sheik were still two separate characters with unique movesets. They are still unique characters, now it's just they're separated from each other. So I don't think nothing really changes for a series newcomer. Same goes with people worrying about Metroid, Samus and ZSS were two distinct characters, they just shared a slot.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I have a proposal for a Zelda newcomer.

When I made this, Samus-Style transformations were still a thing, so this was meant to be an ultimate form of sorts for Ganondorf...

And with A Link Between Worlds fresh on the mind and A Link to the Past released on eShop, it would be an appropriate return of the King of Evil.

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
The Pig Ganon is the only acceptable Zelda newcomer for me. We need some more slow strong baddies, and though I'd be okay with Ghirahim(?) we already have a good dose of speedy strikers, and hell Greninja even kinda covers the duel-wielding so I'd be less enthused to see him in.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
I think we could wind up with 6 Mario, Zelda, and Pokémon reps. In that case, I'd personally want Toad for Mario (as unlikely as that is), and Demise is my personal pick for Zelda. In fact, there's a new and shiny support thread for Demise that should definitely get some attention... (shameless plug ends here)

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Yeah I think if there's another Zelda rep I think it's more likely to be another Toon Character
Vaati or Tetra

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Vaati seems the most likely. The game needs more villains and Vaati is the second most common villain of Zelda.
We also need Vaati because Wind Mage VS Hero of Winds

Last edited:

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
I don't think any of the one-shots make sense.
It has to be either Tetra, Toon Zelda or Ganon.
Though Tetra is my first choice. More distinct character than Ganon (Pirate captain girl-child VS another magical-ish monster baddie thing), and not the clone that Toon Zelda presumably would be.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The "No Zelda Newcomer" thread has been merged with the general Zelda series character discussion thread, as they basically cover the same topic.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I don't think any of the one-shots make sense.
It has to be either Tetra, Toon Zelda or Ganon.
Though Tetra is my first choice. More distinct character than Ganon (Pirate captain girl-child VS another magical-ish monster baddie thing), and not the clone that Toon Zelda presumably would be.
Plus she's another female which is something Smash needs.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Tetra VS Sheik = Pirate VS Ninja

Last edited:

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
Tetra would be my first choice for a 5th or 6th(?) character and if not her Tingle is a close second. They both have an advantage of being recurring characters and they could bring something new.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Thread needs more Tingle discussion. :p

He was pretty lucky to not meet a terrible fate like Skull Kid (heh) or Midna.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
As cool as Tetra would be, Zelda as a franchise has so much more to offer than 2 versions of Link, 3 versions of Zelda and Ganondorf.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Want to know what I'd be more than happy to see?

Old mage Impa. She would be our first slow, light, and powerful magic user. Would be really cool to see her in this form, considering how she debuted with it and all.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
As cool as Tetra would be, Zelda as a franchise has so much more to offer than 2 versions of Link, 3 versions of Zelda and Ganondorf.
Yeah, but anyone unfamiliar with the Zelda franchise won't even know that Sheik and Tetra are just different versions of Zelda. Unless they look it up... Who did you have in mind?

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Actually, yeah... Kinda strange that Tingle didn't get confirmed as returning AT considering we got 2 new Zelda AT's shown off.

Personally hope it's not indicative of anything.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Honestly, I'd be happy with any Zelda newcomer at this point if I'm being honest.
Yeah. I'm hoping that the amount of stages, items, and Assist Trophies that have been shown off aren't supposed to make up for a lack thereof...

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Yeah. I'm hoping that the amount of stages, items, and Assist Trophies that have been shown off aren't supposed to make up for a lack thereof...
Hadn't crossed my mind that it was a possibility but... I mean >.> makes sense now that you've planted it in my head.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Yeah, but anyone unfamiliar with the Zelda franchise won't even know that Sheik and Tetra are just different versions of Zelda. Unless they look it up... Who did you have in mind?
I guess that's true. I would pick any of the one-shotters. Everyone dislikes that but hey, Sheik is in by herself now, so it's not as weird. Impa, Ghirahim, Skull Kid, (actual form) Midna are ones that stand out, but having a match up for Toon Link would be cool and the stand out is Vaati. Byrne from Spirit Track would be awesome despite not even being the main boss.

That said, if I actually did have to pick, and pick one.. It would be Ghirahim.

Last edited:

stan423321

Smash Journeyman
Yep, Ghirahim is just one of these characters which almost don't need you to come up with their moveset. If this is what Sakurai craves, as he hinted a few times, he has pretty good chances.

Also of note, something that just crossed my mind: does Villager have an effect on Tingle? The item overuse moveset is taken, this leaves the guards mechanic, I think... and then there's Rosalina. Should read some Tingle movesets, I suppose.

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
I see where you're coming from, but for me that's one of the main reasons I like Tetra. They're all techincally distinct characters, but they're also still the main 3. It is the Legend of Zelda, to be fair. And I think different versions of the characters emphasise its different timelines, and Zelda's versatility and badassery as a character. Less so if it was Toon Zelda, but having regular Zelda, Sheik and tetra is a fantastic combo to me.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
I really want Ghirahim for many reasons. He has good move potential, is relevant to Zelda if you read between the lines, and, well, I just enjoy his personality. XD

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
I see where you're coming from, but for me that's one of the main reasons I like Tetra. They're all techincally distinct characters, but they're also still the main 3. It is the Legend of Zelda, to be fair. And I think different versions of the characters emphasise its different timelines, and Zelda's versatility and badassery as a character. Less so if it was Toon Zelda, but having regular Zelda, Sheik and tetra is a fantastic combo to me.
Haha. Legend of Zelda. Keyword being Zelda. That is a good point!

I actually do really like Tetra as a character. Having her over the other characters would be completely acceptable in my book. At least initially though, (because he had so many different boss fights), Ghirahim has more to bring to the table as @ S stan423321 was saying above. That said, he is a one-off character from the worst selling Zelda game, compared to Tetra's starring role in.. what? 2-3 games? There is plenty to make with her character as a pirate in the same way that Greninja can be inspired by a ninja.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom