• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Counters ____?

COHEED AND CAMBRIA

Smash Ace
it was just one match in some money match back at rom1 long time ago
altho mango was really good then
its probably because mango is way too aggressive with puff
and it was a set, so mango just used falco right after and won

thats what M2k said on aim

JMOAN

Smash Apprentice
Oh. Side note I just thought of. I believe KOkingpin told me he beat Hungrybox's Jiggs with his Zelda in a money match. Course, that was definitely a good year or two ago... I need to ask him about it next chance I get.

COHEED AND CAMBRIA

Smash Ace
i got one stocked in a match against HBOX my zelda but i dont play zelda i just play against Impps zelda all the time so it seemed natural

Zone

Smash Champion
I beat Hungrybox in a couple Matches before, But he's evolved now. I doubt I could succeed like I did then now. This was before The Greatest Melee Tournament Since Brawl Came out.

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
IMO zelda can do pretty well against ICs, but I've never had a lot of luck against jiggs players and I really don't think she has the advantage. Honestly in both cases, if the IC or jiggs player knows the matchup and are competant players they will probably win. ICs can camp zelda on some stages and there's really not much she can do. Puff can rest her after using farores if she doesn't go straight to the edge and can combo her pretty badly. She does not counter either of them.

I have trouble against luigis too. It seems like if you throw out any grounded attack and it doesn't hit, luigi can punish you by wavedashing in and smashing/grabbing/doing something while the attack is still out but the hitbox is gone. Jab is pretty safe, but it seems like most other options are not. Like ICs, it seems like luigi can just camp you. When you finally approach and attack, he can then wavedash away and back in, following up with an attack. Seems like maybe you have to stay airborne most of the game and space kicks, but even then it seems hard to avoid punishment after landing. Idk, I kinda feel like luigi has an advantage too.

As I see it, Zelda only counters low tiers like herself (roy probably being the biggest counter). She might be good against samus (it would make sense) but i don't have enough experience to say anything on that matchup. Her better higher tier matchups are puff and ICs, but I think it would be a bit of a stretch to say the matchup is even or in her favor.

I actually think zelda does pretty well against peach too tho. Anyone agree/disagree?

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
I get destroyed by fast aggressive falcon players so badly. The only notable thing I've ever done against a good falcon is get off a 0-death kill in the first few seconds of the match. I ran to the edge of the stage, pivot grabbed the approaching falcon, threw him backwards off the stage, and gimped him with 2 lightning kicks in the air before recovering.

Most of the time against a falcon I'm just getting ***** tho. I remember playing a friendly against SS where he was edge hogging me so I used farores to appear on stage by the ledge. Being that it was SS tho, he easily read where I was gonna end up and falcon punched me as soon as I reappeared.

Zelda's got good options against Falcon tho. Her jab stops a lot of approaches, dsmash is good for edgeguards, and she's got the good old up throw/down throw to lightning kick going for her (which you can use if by some miracle you get a grab. Even then though you have to accurately read their DI)

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
Fox, sheik, falco, and falcon are so much faster than zelda that they can combo and tech chase her all dai. They definitely seem like her hardest matchups to me

JMOAN

Smash Apprentice
I used to like playing Luigi's. But then I played Pakman and it doesn't work so well...

Also, Sheik absolutely MURDERS Zelda.

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
I use her kick while falling the majority of the time so I'm not sure, but would a marth normally do that in response to zelda jumping anyway? Although you would probably expect a kick if zelda jumps in your direction, ducking definitely wouldn't be my default response. He might be able to duck under it but it seems more likely that he would just shield in that situation

D

Deleted member

mango doesn't sandbag that much.

>_>

okay yes he does lol.

TheLake

Smash Master
Marth sucks...he hits alot

Puff is like..insanse

Hungrybox did uptilt...so i crouch cancled to avoid the rest ya know?

then he just jabbed me and rested me

it was awful O_O

Inaphyt

Smash Apprentice
I totally agree, he's pretty easy to outspace, he doesn't have an anus load of combos to bestow on your Zelda. You beat him in the air with range horizontally, and your disjointed up-air beats his aerials when he comes from above. So he mostly has to do majority of his crap from the ground like wavedashing @ you with his shield. Since Zelda's grab is slow as balls this is closer to one of his safer options. not only does it add that luigi's spot dodge is pretty pimp, to avoid the grab.

*To add*
Granted I say Samus' are EZ, I still haven't played Hugs in 1v1. Which is like the True Samus.
I've picked up zelda purely to beat jiggz and luigi.

Zeldas jab is awesome against both of them and can combo into fair. : O

I came to the conclusion that if you can't combo a character don't try to, pick up a similar character that packs big punches.

Also do you think switching to sheikh like randomly mid match will screw the jiggz up. It's just been playing a certain way subconsiously the whole match and all of a sudden an insane boost of speed comes out of nowhere. Been wanting to try things like this.

Tamoo

Smash Master
picking up zelda for luigi is a good idea i guess, if you have to resort to it. Jiggs on the other hand, will ONLY work at lower levels. I remember 6 months ago when i was awful i got 3 stocked by the best zelda in UK, only to 4 stock him 4 months later after improving a little. Jiggs is HORRIBLE for zelda, I don't have to work in that matchup, and when i play zelda gainst jiggs, it's always a struggle :/
How bout i show ya when we play :D

Inaphyt

Smash Apprentice
I'm starting to think jiggz is the best character in the game more and more but i just don't enjoy using her.

The prospect of a jiggz ditto is almost too cringeworthy too imagine. :|

I look forward to playing you though haha : P i'll be practising alot.

Zone

Smash Champion
I've picked up zelda purely to beat jiggz and luigi.

Zeldas jab is awesome against both of them and can combo into fair. : O

I came to the conclusion that if you can't combo a character don't try to, pick up a similar character that packs big punches.

Also do you think switching to sheikh like randomly mid match will screw the jiggz up. It's just been playing a certain way subconsiously the whole match and all of a sudden an insane boost of speed comes out of nowhere. Been wanting to try things like this.
From my experiences I get ***** more when I fight jiggs as shiek vs Zelda. So if I so happen to choose zelda which i Probably wouldn't. I wouldn't change to shiek at all. But this is a personal thing. If your shiek's style is really different from zeldas it could throw them off some. But I mean... you're most likely gonna have to play kinda campy either way. And Shiek is all round better. Perhaps use shiek/zelda like she was ment to be used for jiggs. combo/build dmg with shiek, and when you knock her away, change to zelda for the lightning kick.

Top Bottom