• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

::: Z E R O 2 D ::: -- now with 100% more M3D

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Well uh...did I post my redo of Darius?

Yea, its not finished. I need to do skin shading and make a face. Elongate the face a bit, and yea.

Everyone like it better? I do.
-DD

D

Deleted member

DD, that looks like a very solid sprite. not sure on the face (eyes seem missing) though.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Cool, much better.

Should I make one too?
Actually, you could probably work on a Shun prototype.

To both of you, I would say this: focus more on forming a complete set of basic animations more than paying attention to detail. As I mentioned before, I need to run tests eventually on this size of sprite. I'd feel bad if I asked you guys to redo everything after you already put tons of effort into detail/shading/etc. DD, I would say stop at that quality, and make animations for just about every move you can think of. Keep it simple for now (click-fill and whatnot). Once we determine that the animations work well and that the engine is functioning properly, we can slow down and shade every individual frame. It will also shed light on which animations need more/fewer frames.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
DD, that looks like a very solid sprite. not sure on the face (eyes seem missing) though.
xD its not done, so yea.
Solid, not complete.

@Spoonykinz
Uh, I don't know if you should make sprites if...you can't animate them...o_o;

Your style is pretty cool though, maybe we can use it for character select pictures?!

@Buzz
Oh, well, if that's the case, then sure thing. No more shading! Woo!
Did we say 10-20 frames was good for the more involved animations? Simple ones can be around 5?

-DD

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Well, the engine will want the frames all separate. I will not be using animated GIFs or anything if that is what you are implying.

shinyspoon42

Smash Journeyman
I have expieriance with GIMP animations, but nothing really extensive, just some animated little clips from sprites I've made. I know how it works though, and if need be I can probably look at a couple guides.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Well, the engine will want the frames all separate. I will not be using animated GIFs or anything if that is what you are implying.
xD No, thats not what I meant. But being able to animate it into frames, as if you were to make it into a gif, is the idea.
=P

What I do is I make the start of the animation, and the end of the animation, and then work on the halfway points between each.

Like...Frame 1, and then Frame 20. Then I do Frame 10. Then I do Frames 5 and 15, then I do Frames 3, 8, 13, and 18, etc.

And before I even do all 20, the frames would probably make a pretty smooth animation...so I'd cut it short!

-DD

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Those 20-frame animations better be hugely epic smash attacks. Anything else, and they won't be viable in combat. :p

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
The game is expected to run at 30 frames-per-second. So, a 20-frame attack would take 2/3 of a second.

shinyspoon42

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I'll get to work tomorrow. Spade-fox, can you post the moveset you were thinking of for Shun? Then I'll create all the sprites needed.

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
You guys are really biting more than you can chew. At least, the art team is.

You really shouldn't jump into animating characters doing overly dynamic things like kicks and punches when you don't even know how to animate a ball bounce. I've taken traditional animation courses, and let me tell you it's not easy. Your animation team should really go through some basic animation tests before they get down to animating a figure. I've spent 15 hours animating a brick fall from a table.

The very first animation you'll be doing is a ball bounce. This is a test to see if you can sense timing and your ability with squash and stretch. Secondly, you do a brick drop. This is a completely new world. You have to deal with an object rotating, and then abruptly hitting the floor... in perspective. This really pushes your spatial senses. And most importantly.. the settle. When a brick falls, it doesn't just fall flat down, it bounces.. ever so slightly, and if you can get that subtle beauty of something falling from a distance.. and BELIEVE IT, then you've really animated. This is just a taste of what kind of tests traditional animators must MASTER before they even attempt to draw a model moving in 3D space.

I think people really need to understand that drawing/animating is not something you can just pick up and do for a day, it takes patience and a lot of practice.. and the right knowledge. It's a pity that western society (cept maybe france) has kind of ignored it and brushed it off as something only kids should do. :/

shinyspoon42

Smash Journeyman
You guys are really biting more than you can chew. At least, the art team is.

I think people really need to understand that drawing/animating is not something you can just pick up and do for a day, it takes patience and a lot of practice.. and the right knowledge
Drawing is something I have devoted large amounts of my time to however, so I'm more worried about converting that to motion. I have however done animations with sprites before, and that is what we are proposing.

We probably are biting off more then we can chew, but you have to aim high.

Psytrese

Smash Cadet
No-one has to learn how animate a model in a 3d space...it's a spriting project. Animating a sprite is nothing like animating using 3d models.

If you have a good grasp of anatomy and decent grasp of motion, you can draw out each individual frame then shrink and retrace them.

Not only that, but if your sprite is going to move subtley by individual pixels, you don't have to redraw the entire frame with slight differences...you just move the pixels.

It's a lot easier than you think, and requires a good deal less technical know how.

Edit: Also, what's with the huge frame count? I'd be expecting no more than 5 frames per attack from a medium speed attack. Even when I think of simply holding A in Brawl and watching the character rapidly auto-attack, I can't honestly say I see more than 3 frames of animation; the static frame, an outstretched punch, and the frame in-between. And even then it only alternatates between the punch and in-between frame when you hold A and don't connect.

Sorry if that was a paragraph of confusion. ^^

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
yeaaa....Ive done more than my fair share of sprite animation...so Im sure I have a solid grasp on it. Thanks for the concern!
-DD

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Jiangjunizzy, we certainly appreciate any guidance/advice to help things go smoother, but telling us we're doomed is like me telling everyone else they cannot program because they lack the same level of education. I can see endless problems in other people's coding, but that does not stop them from being successful by doing what they can.

If you wanna animate for us and/or give advice to the current artists, be my guest. If you are just going to come in and say how hopeless this is, kindly...

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
Jiangjunizzy, we certainly appreciate any guidance/advice to help things go smoother, but telling us we're doomed is like me telling everyone else they cannot program because they lack the same level of education. I can see endless problems in other people's coding, but that does not stop them from being successful by doing what they can.

If you wanna animate for us and/or give advice to the current artists, be my guest. If you are just going to come in and say how hopeless this is, kindly...

where in my post did i say you guys were doomed? all i said was animation (and drawing itself) is not to be taken lightly. i don't know what i said that warranted such a rude response, but if that's the attitude you guys are condoning for this project, i will gladly gtfo.

4nace

Smash Ace
No-one has to learn how animate a model in a 3d space...it's a spriting project. Animating a sprite is nothing like animating using 3d models.

If you have a good grasp of anatomy and decent grasp of motion, you can draw out each individual frame then shrink and retrace them.

Not only that, but if your sprite is going to move subtley by individual pixels, you don't have to redraw the entire frame with slight differences...you just move the pixels.

It's a lot easier than you think, and requires a good deal less technical know how.

Edit: Also, what's with the huge frame count? I'd be expecting no more than 5 frames per attack from a medium speed attack. Even when I think of simply holding A in Brawl and watching the character rapidly auto-attack, I can't honestly say I see more than 3 frames of animation; the static frame, an outstretched punch, and the frame in-between. And even then it only alternatates between the punch and in-between frame when you hold A and don't connect.

Sorry if that was a paragraph of confusion. ^^

As someone who has done both 2D and 3D animation fairly extensively, I would say your comment is very off. It requires alot more skill to be able to animate sprites than a 3D model. Rigging and Animating in 3D is not as difficult as it may seem because once you have the bones set up, you allow the program to do the anatomy for you. You don't have to worry about foreshortening and you dont even have to draw every frame as the program you are using will move the joints mathematically when you key them.

In 2D, animation skill is very much so required. You can't just say i want this arm to move from here to here in 5 frames. Then look at it then think hmmm, i dont want it to be uniform, let me go into the graph editor and make it ease out. You really have to understand anatomy, what you have to redraw, what you can get away with, and what generally looks good as animation.

Also, Brawl runs at 60 frames per second, so the quick A that seems like 3 frames is actually more like 10-12 and thats why it looks so smooth. Once you start cutting frames in a fighting game, its starts to become obvious. It also makes the game harder to play as hit-boxes are jumping around alot in a frames-time rather than moving in and out.

However, I don't think the team is biting off more than they can chew. They do need to get a good artist though, someone who understands animation.

Once I see an engine, I'd be able to lend some support to this game =P.

Psytrese

Smash Cadet
Well I'd disagree. I've drawn my whole life, so making the jump to a 2d animation isn't that much more difficult. I understand anatomy, I understand motion, I understand lighting. Putting that down on paper is fairly straight forward.

Now, I have absolutely no technical knowledge of 3d animation. Everything I know is self taught, but in order to make full use of it you HAVE to understand the technical aspects of your 3d modelling program as WELL as the usual anatomy, etc. You can't just say "I'll draw a character and move his arms", he needs bones for articulation, he needs modelled, he needs textured.

I imagine once you know how to work the program, this all seems easier, but I'm talking about someone with limited/no technical knowledge here. And I wouldn't know where to start with 3d modelling.

Who cares anyways? Jiangjunizzy shouldn't have been such a hypocrite. He doesn't know what background the animation team have.

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
I want to be part of this project. I can contribute tons of research & development, theory, physics, mathematics, music, and sound effects.

EDIT: I'm going to post this idea from my thread since I think it bears some thought for any Smash based fighter:

Diminishing Returns See-saw Guard Gauge:
Think of a circle broken in half horizontally with a hand running across the diameter (both sides are connected and increase proportionally.) Each hit given to a character during previous hitstun (regrabs and throws from out of hitstun will also count) will increase the gauge by one tick, up to a total of 10 ticks or so. Each tick will allow each subsequent hit 2 extra degrees of DI potential and 2 less frames of total stun time. As soon as the hitstun wears off (the combo is dropped,) after a certain amount of time (half a second or so?) the gauge will start to slowly move back down. Smash attacks, however, would be immune from this effect. This will prevent extremely long combos (which are usually near-infinites or chaingrabs/techchases.) And to the opposite effect, running the opposite direction on this gauge will be shieldstun reduction. Each successive hit to a character's shield will allow them less total shieldstun on each subsequent hit, reducing the amount of total shieldpressure that can be done. As is in Melee there are a few character combinations in which one character can infinitely shieldpressure another while allowing them no choice but to either have their shield broken or take a hit. And as for combos, there are even more examples of near infinites that break a matchup altogether. Mind, SDI somewhat prevents these possibilities, but there are still theoretically many infinite combos and infinite techchases.

EDIT 2: Another thought I had a while back for more "balance" would be reducing all damage physics by about 1/2 so instead of characters dying on average from 100-150 you'll start dying around 50-75, that way once you hit 100% you can add in forced death to give characters that have a terrible time killing more of a chance to win (ie Roy.) Of course with such low damage output you'd be either buffing low 1-2% moves or nerfing 2-3% damage moves. This concept could be moved up to 200% forced deaths to keep the familiar scale, but that'd be somewhat awkward to have someone die at 200% instead of 100%.

As far as my physical contributions, I'd love to do music and sound effects. You've heard my work before, right Buzz? I think sound effects for a project like this would be amazing. I'll throw together a short demo pack of music and sounds I've done that would be suitable for a fighter within the next few days. For a quick demonstration of my musical skills you can check http://www.myspace.com/jihnsiusproject . They're not exactly suited for a fighting game, but give a brief example of what I'm capable of. I don't have any audio samples up yet, though.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Ugh, bars. D:

By the way, I finally got to contact our drawer again - Shun, the Martial Artist DOES have a scar on his face.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
where in my post did i say you guys were doomed? all i said was animation (and drawing itself) is not to be taken lightly. i don't know what i said that warranted such a rude response, but if that's the attitude you guys are condoning for this project, i will gladly gtfo.
I said "if". If that was not your intent, then do not GTFO. Your tone simply came across as "you artists are gonna have so much trouble" with no real solution in your post. I apologize.

You wanna be an artist here? :p

@Jihnsius -- I'll reply to your ideas ASAP. I have one last test to take today to finish off this semester of school. :(

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
I want to be part of this project. I can contribute tons of research & development, theory, physics, mathematics, music, and sound effects.

EDIT: I'm going to post this idea from my thread since I think it bears some thought for any Smash based fighter:

Think of a circle broken in half horizontally with a hand running across the diameter (both sides are connected and increase proportionally.) Each hit given to a character during previous hitstun (regrabs and throws from out of hitstun will also count) will increase the gauge by one tick, up to a total of 10 ticks or so. Each tick will allow each subsequent hit 2 extra degrees of DI potential and 2 less frames of total stun time. As soon as the hitstun wears off (the combo is dropped,) after a certain amount of time (half a second or so?) the gauge will start to slowly move back down. Smash attacks, however, would be immune from this effect. This will prevent extremely long combos (which are usually near-infinites or chaingrabs/techchases.) And to the opposite effect, running the opposite direction on this gauge will be shieldstun reduction. Each successive hit to a character's shield will allow them less total shieldstun on each subsequent hit, reducing the amount of total shieldpressure that can be done. As is in Melee there are a few character combinations in which one character can infinitely shieldpressure another while allowing them no choice but to either have their shield broken or take a hit. And as for combos, there are even more examples of near infinites that break a matchup altogether. Mind, SDI somewhat prevents these possibilities, but there are still theoretically many infinite combos and infinite techchases.

EDIT 2: Another thought I had a while back for more "balance" would be reducing all damage physics by about 1/2 so instead of characters dying on average from 100-150 you'll start dying around 50-75, that way once you hit 100% you can add in forced death to give characters that have a terrible time killing more of a chance to win (ie Roy.) Of course with such low damage output you'd be either buffing low 1-2% moves or nerfing 2-3% damage moves. This concept could be moved up to 200% forced deaths to keep the familiar scale, but that'd be somewhat awkward to have someone die at 200% instead of 100%.
1) I like this. This keeps the game on a level where attack and defense are at a healthy balance, unless of course we run into a character that heavily favors one over the other.

2) I don't like this. What made Smash special was that you can survive to different percents depending on character specs, stage, and DI. If you put the forced death system, two problems arise.

Firstly, speedy characters with quick attacks[Fox/MK types] will dominate. They run in, do a few % and keep running. It would be like playing a Fox on Hyrule, except instead of running the timer, hes just going to rack up the damage and eventually go in for a free kill.

Secondly, that would be akin to adding in a health bar. Granted it would put a sense of attention and urgency onto the amount of damage you take, but at the same time I fear it may detract from the "smash game" feel.

And that's what I have to say on it for now :3.
-DD

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I will need your services definitely! We are mostly desperate for a sound effects engineer at this point, but I welcome another sharp mind in helping with the theory, physics, etc. :)

Generally, I am hesitant to add any radically new aspects to the engine, but this idea has potential. I would definitely be interested to see this mechanism play out when the engine is functional.

Another thought I had a while back for more "balance" would be reducing all damage physics by about 1/2 so instead of characters dying on average from 100-150 you'll start dying around 50-75, that way once you hit 100% you can add in forced death to give characters that have a terrible time killing more of a chance to win (ie Roy.) Of course with such low damage output you'd be either buffing low 1-2% moves or nerfing 2-3% damage moves. This concept could be moved up to 200% forced deaths to keep the familiar scale, but that'd be somewhat awkward to have someone die at 200% instead of 100%.
I actually agree with this on the basis that we have absolute control over balance of characters. I would indeed like to have the % level lowered for typical kills. For what it is worth, I think % makes no sense, and I want to rename it to something else. For the first few iterations of the engine's release, I'll probably just have numbers with no unit/label on any of them.

As far as my physical contributions, I'd love to do music and sound effects. You've heard my work before, right Buzz? I think sound effects for a project like this would be amazing. I'll throw together a short demo pack of music and sounds I've done that would be suitable for a fighter within the next few days. For a quick demonstration of my musical skills you can check http://www.myspace.com/jihnsiusproject . They're not exactly suited for a fighting game, but give a brief example of what I'm capable of. I don't have any audio samples up yet, though.
Moar music! Yes, we need more music, and we definitely need sound effects for all characters that we produce. Our only requirement is that all sound/art be placed under a Creative Commons license as this will be a very open project. ;)

Psytrese

Smash Cadet
How about, instead of Damage %, you have Condition %. It would start at 100% and work it's way down.

It would be easier to read if you had an exact number stating how likely you were to get knocked out. It wouldn't go any lower than 0%, but to be honest, how much difference does being 150% or 300% damage actually do? You're still going to get hit out from 1 solid hit.

I really don't like the idea of forced deaths...

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
Thanks for the comments on my music, I appreciate it. As for the guard gauge: Since the effects are so small per hit it'd be easily noticed over a long combo, much like how most players have a feel for what percent will generate what knockback with which attack.

I can see where you're coming from on forced % damage leading to camping/hit and run tactics, but I think since all "neutral" stages are too small to really camp on anyway, it wouldn't be too big of a deal. If Fox wants to laser camp and weave in and out of your range to deal damage, he's going to do it whether he can kill you with a single laser from forced death or from an upsmash at 150%. It's all a matter of building damage so you can kill sooner or later, no matter the MO.

In better words: the entire purpose of Smash is to build up your opponent's meter so you can kill them. At this level of metagame in Melee, characters rarely ever survive up to 200%. If you can't kill by 200% due to your character's inability to kill one way or another, why not set a cap so they don't have to worry about this? Peach and Young Link will camp and run no matter what, waiting for openings. If the player is good enough to keep you at bay with their projectiles until you die from forced death, chances are they would have outspaced you until they could've blast killed you at 150%

Also, it doesn't necessarily have to be a percent set per character, such that character A will always die at X%. It could be some type of ratio modification: Imagine if we set a base 200% forced death for all characters, and then each individual character has two modifiers: self and else.

For Fox, since he's very light, he'd probably have a high self modifier so he doesn't die at 200%, but instead with a modifier of 1.1 or so his base destroy percent would be 220%. Since Fox is one of the best killers in the game, he would have a high else modifier, probably around 1.3.

Now imagine if he's playing against a Roy. Roy has a very difficult time killing characters since he has no easy setups. If we were to give him an else modifier of 0.8, he'd only have to inflict 176% on Fox.

Peach is midweight, so she's about average for killing off the sides, she would probably have a 1.0 self since she's average knockback. Since she's excellent at killing others, she could probably have a 1.2 else. Peach vs Fox would be Peach needs 264% to kill Fox, Fox needs

As for audio engineering: are you referring to the coding/engineering aspects, audio/music production/composing, or both? I have absolutely no knowledge of audio coding but if anyone knows where to start I can give them all the knowledge needed to make things sound smooth and crisp.

EDIT: this post is all sorts of disorganized. If you can't quite comprehend what I'm trying to get to I'll come back through and reorganize it. I think I even did some of the calculations incorrectly here and there, If you're interested in researching into this concept, grab a pen. paper, a scanner, or type up/blog your ideas.

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
I don't have the correct recording equipemt/hardware or software. That'd be a ton of money out of my pocket. I can, however, synth least 50% of all effects, and I've always been wanting to get practice doing field capture and foley. I'd love to get started ASAP,but without any real guidance all work I'd do now would probably be scrapped by the end. If anyone involved in this project can help me by findind me some songs on YouTube or whatever you favorite file search program to give me a general idea of what feel we want. If you go this route, send me the MP3s vie e-mail: jihnsius<at>gmail.com . If you go this route, try to elaborate exactly what elements you' dlike to hear reproduced for a figher.

Can anyone help me find a few sounds from the characters in the Smash series, preferably the more common attacks like Fox/Falco reflector and lasers, Peach's down-smash, Peach's turnip pull, All charge shots, possibly all projectiles at once since they're not too differnt from eachother from an engineering standpoint, etc. Just having readily accessible clean soundbytes would help my job much easier. Of course I won't be recycling any of the sounds, I'm just looking for some inspiration.

EDIT: And this bares repeating IMO: Each and everyone of you should send me an MP3 that summarizes what you'd like to hear in a fighter. I personally would try to do a bit of like Metroid Prime 3, maybe some downtempo ambient breaks, or even tech d'n'b or tech jungle, depending on the atmosphere of the stage. Goapsy and buttrock goa also go fairly well with high-paced situations, so maybe I'll give that a try and see how I can work it out.

I've been under the impression that most VGM is produced in two sets: the intro and the loop. The intro starts when the game starts, and as soon as that bit is over it brings in the loop which repeats infinitely until the game's up. About how long should I aim for with music, excluding intros? I'm guessing anywhere between 1:30 and 3:00 should be perfect. Final D's song is, like, 5 minutes or something outrageously huge like that.

EDIT 2: Contact information.
AIM: jihnsius
e-mail: jihnsius[a]gmail.com
MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/jihnsius (personal)
MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/jihnsiusproject (music)

Let's all keep in touch so we can get things done easier.

Do we have any others doing music/audio production or audio engineering yet? If not I got dibs on lead. =)

EDIT 3: If anyone does happen to be doing audio or music, give me a shout, I'd love to work together.

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
No one can really design characters until the engine is functional, really. I mean, anyone can design characters if they want to right now, but nothing can be done with them until we have an official spec sheet on how custom characters are implemented into the game. This may become very political as I begin opening up the discussions as to what syntax that "character data file" should use.
Syntax? Or do you mean what actual info we need to keep track of?

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Can anyone help me find a few sounds from the characters in the Smash series, preferably the more common attacks like Fox/Falco reflector and lasers, Peach's down-smash, Peach's turnip pull, All charge shots, possibly all projectiles at once since they're not too differnt from eachother from an engineering standpoint, etc. Just having readily accessible clean soundbytes would help my job much easier. Of course I won't be recycling any of the sounds, I'm just looking for some inspiration.
Here you have all possible sounds from Brawl:
Mario/DK/Yoshi/Wario series characters: http://www.filefactory.com/file/23e264/n/Mario_rar
Zelda/Fire Emblem characters: http://www.filefactory.com/file/84ec8b/n/Swordplayers_rar
Pokemon/Mother characters: http://www.filefactory.com/file/94a72d/n/PiKa_rar
Kirby/Star Fox characters: http://www.filefactory.com/file/580092/n/Shooting_Stars_rar
Every other character: http://www.filefactory.com/file/45594f/n/The_Rest_rar
Bosses: http://www.filefactory.com/file/79a71b/n/Bosses_rar
Stages: http://www.filefactory.com/file/053a95/n/Stages_rar
"Common" sounds (e.g. thumps when landing): http://www.filefactory.com/file/b17769/n/Common_rar

I do have Items and everything related (ATs, Pokeballs) as well as SSE stuff, too, but I'd have to search them again.

RDK

Smash Hero
This is sweet; hope this turns out well. Do you guys have screens or something?

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
This is sweet; hope this turns out well. Do you guys have screens or something?
Sadly no. I barely have the core engine working with minimal functionality. Also, I was waiting for this semester of school to end. I had my last test yesterday. So now I am dedicating some real time to coding it.

Dylacmac

Smash Rookie
I can kind of help I think.

I don't have the time to work on a full music project, but I do have a recording setup that I could use to capture sound effects. I could also do some engineering if its needed.

I haven't ever recorded ambient sounds for sound effects before, but I think I could probably learn. PM me if you think you could use me, and maybe send me list of some sample effects for me to start practicing with.

I've engineered several rock bands, my own and others, and the same basic techniques apply to mixing techno or drum and bass or whatever. So if you guys compose some songs and just need some help mixing I could do that too. I can also do some basic mastering, but I'm very new to mastering.

Again, if any of this sounds helpful, PM me.

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
I've engineered several rock bands, my own and others, and the same basic techniques apply to mixing techno or drum and bass or whatever. So if you guys compose some songs and just need some help mixing I could do that too. I can also do some basic mastering, but I'm very new to mastering.
Mixing and mastering techniques across genres is quite different, especially when it comes to live instruments and vocals.

Top Bottom