• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Z Dropping and teching

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
I'm not sure if there's a thread on this but...

This is sort of in light of GIMR's Metagame Minute thread recently discussing Airdodge Cancelled Item throws but I don't this was covered in there...I think

Anyway, turns out you can actually Z Drop an item whilst teching - it's the same inputs as doing an Airdodge Z Drop but you perform it as though you were going to tech normally. I've found it's easier to tech in place and Z Drop but you can roll backwards/forwards and Z Drop as well

This is utterly useless for items such as Peach's Turnips since they disappear as soon as they hit the ground but as for ROB's Gyro and especially Diddy's Banana's, this could be a nice trick. I don't have a video but...well, it's sort of self explanatory - you're basically combining a tech get up/roll with a Z Drop

Tech roll away and leave a banana for your opponent to slip on as they attempt to tech chase you!

After a bit of research, it would appear that you have to be able to normally use an airdodge in order for this to work
e.g. You can't Z Drop an item and then tech G&W's D Throw since there isn't enough time to perform an airdodge to get the Z Drop to occur

T-block

B2B TST
Assuming this would work on GW's d-throw, right? That's what immediately comes to mind.

Find a way to drop on Snake's d-throw please x.x

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Assuming this would work on GW's d-throw, right? That's what immediately comes to mind.

Find a way to drop on Snake's d-throw please x.x
For G&W's D Throw...ironically, I can't get it to work at all - I just keep teching normally without the Z Drop

I think it has something to do with the inability to get airdodge frames out (and hence a window to perform a Z Drop) because G&W's D Throw sends you straight down into the ground

As for Snake's D Throw, this would never work since there's no chance to tech during or after the throw

What a shame :( I guess this could still provide a nice mix up. Drop the banana, tech in place, the chaser trips, you get a free D Smash or something...

Vega4

Smash Ace
It's interesting, but it would be better having a vid to see the differents ways it can be done (like Metagame Minute :) )...

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Say you're holding an item and I spike you very close to the ground. Can you still drop the item during your tech or must you be able to cancel your hitstun with an airdodge in order to do so?
After some testing I think unfortunately you have to be able to cancel your hitstun with an airdodge in order to get this to work...which massively limits the usefulness of this tech

Why would air dodge frames matter?

If you could air dodge, you wouldn't need to tech x.x
It might have something to do with the game registering if you're on/near the ground or not. Perhaps the window for airdodging and teching overlap each other?

I think I'm going to rename this 'Z Dropping and teching' since the current title is now sort of misleading

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
It's hard to 100% understand without a video, but from what I think I'm getting, you could do it with Link or Toon Link and their bombs, right?

Top Bottom