• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your Reactions to Isabelle in smash ultimate

Dan

Smash Lord
You're saying they're gonna do ANOTHER Direct.
After already doing five.
Which means half the months outta this year, there will have been a Nintendo Direct.

I don't know about you, but that seems a LITTLE unlikely. Got any sources?
Well there's a difference between a Smash and Nintendo Direct; we've only gotten one Smash Direct so far.

It is 100% confirmed Isabelle is not the last character and there will be another Smash Direct; they still have plenty to reveal about the game.

THE TemporaryFool

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4355-9441-8851
I have nothing against the inclusion of Isabelle personally, it’s just that her trailer was to boring.

D

Deleted member

Which means half the months outta this year, there will have been a Nintendo Direct.

You don't think for a second there will be another Smash direct? Do you really think Nintendo would end Smash News on Directs for the biggest Smash game yet for a character they knew wouldn't draw the hype of characters like K Rool or Ridley? That doesn't sound like smart marketing. They likely have a few more Characters and the "Secret Mode" they haven't shown yet. Using annual Direct numbers shouldn't really be a thing given that there is a Smash game coming out in December. The biggest and probably most hyped up one yet. That logic just doesn't make sense to me from a Marketing perspective. We still have like two and a half months to release. We'll get at least one more Smash Direct.

Last edited by a moderator:

eddyg0705

Smash Rookie
NNID
edd-mariolinkfan

I find the way you speak so funny and I am having a good time reading this lol. Sorry that you did not get what you wanted brother but please do everybody here a favor and maybe stop acting so childish? I get it you feel like she should not be here and other characters that you favor instead deserve it more. Everybody gets that feeling it’s normal but guess what we don’t always get what we want and some of us react better. She was not my pick either but I can be respectful towards her fan and not act like they are scums of earth. in the end it’s just a game and no need to be disrespect toward others for it. So please let us all at least try to approach this in a more mature way. And pretty sure this is not the last character brother there will be more.

Last edited:

Fane

Smash Journeyman
It dragged on for so long.
That was honestly the only issue I had with her reveal, most people knew what it was and that she was coming. Should've been cut down a bit tbh.

Sakurai saying "We have a few more to show..." After showing off Richter, Simon, Chrom, and Dark Samus.

Honestly, do you think they'll go nearly 2 months with no new character reveals?

You're just being unnecessarily pessimistic just to ***** about Isabelle being in Smash.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
The only newcomer so far that got me cheering. I knew she was coming but I didn't have much hope that she'd be anything but an echo, so that was a pleasant surprise. I love her!

TheJutin

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2432-2756-8217

Look, I love animal crossing and Isabelle is a popular character, but there is no way they would just end with her. Especially when we still have a couple of months till the game’s release. And don’t hate on Isabelle if your characters don’t get in. Shadow would most likely be an echo so he’d be easier to develop than Isabelle and if Scropion didn’t get in, it’s because he’s from a M rated franchise (with more gore than Bayonetta and Metal Gear) and he hasn’t been on a Nintendo console recently. So no, people who want Isabelle aren’t greedy. They just support a character

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
As someone who had been hoping for playable Mr. Resetti since before Brawl, just kinda shrugged. Happy for her fans as always, but I never once looked at Isabelle and thought she'd be a good pick for SSB.

It IS going to be funny seeing the pre match screen of her going 1v1 against either super serious looking characters or literal monsters like Ridley, though.

Last edited:

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
It was not a very hype reveal trailer, that's for sure. But she looks like she could be an interesting addition, so I'm not mad. Not as excited as I was for other newcomers though.

Akod

Smash Rookie
I for one I'm glad. It's nice to see so many good things happening for AC fans. And she looks quite different than Villager so she is gonna be a character on her own.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Since I didn't see the "not actual gameplay footage" post during the reveal trailer, I sort of knew it was Smash but also at the same time didn't know if we were getting an Animal Crossing announcement. Once they did the splash screen, it threw me off guard so much that I just started laughing. It didn't help that her gameplay style looks really funny. She took a page out of Phoenix Wright's book of fighting by not fighting, haha.

Yeah, I'm stoked. I was already hyped up on Inkling, Ridley, Dark Samus, and King K. Rool, and now I can add Isabelle to that list.

I'm glad Isabelle made it in and that she's actually a unique fighter (not completely but there are enough noticeable differences). I see where people are coming from when they say that the reveal trailer was boring. The reveal trailer itself was underwhelming if you compare it to the other trailers but I think that's a byproduct of having to make a follow up announcement of Animal Crossing for the Switch, which by the way was probably more important than her being revealed for Smash. I don't know if the trailers were meant to be bait attempts but it does seem like it. If it weren't, the trailer would have went for something much more cinematic, similar to the other trailers then they would have just slapped that Animal Crossing announcement to follow it up.

If you look at the reveal trailer alone, then it can come off as underwhelming. If you actually care about the new Animal Crossing game and considered both trailers as one, chances are you actually enjoyed the reveal. She's not the last newcomer though, that's for sure. Honestly, I'm just waiting for an "out-of-left-field" character for the ****s and giggles

Dan

Smash Lord
Yeah, good point; it kind of had be this way to coincide with the 2019 AC reveal.

Heatswave

Smash Apprentice
I was surprised that she is unique, but it wasn't as hype a reveal as K.Rool, Simon/Richter or Ridley.
Still, i like her inclusion.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I've seen a lot of folks outside the core Smash audience couldn't tell it was Smash at all, and considering that's the main audience Isabelle appeals to I'd say the trailer did its job real well. Seeing nothing but hype from women and kids.

Last edited:

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
I've seen a lot of folks outside the core Smash audience couldn't tell it was Smash at all, and considering that's the main audience Isabelle appeals to I'd say the trailer did its job real well. Seeing nothing but hype from women and kids.
There are a lot of good reasons for her to be included, and this post really covers a lot of them. She appeals to the casual games crowd, people who wouldn't care about the Belmonts or K. Rool. She's another female character, and representation is always good. And she's incredibly popular with fans of Animal Crossing, so they get a favorite character. And of course the extra attention to the new AC game. All in all, a solid move by Nintendo.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
She's fine, I don't care much either way about her inclusion, especially since her not being a Villager Echo means she might be more fun than him.

But that trailer was the most boring Smash character trailer of all (Smash 4 and SSBU trailers).

Should've cut the scene length a bit and shown a bit more gameplay.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
It was a bit strange for me. I was hoping that it would be Isaac or some other newcomer like Skull Kid, but when we saw the footage that looked like Animal Crossing, I thought "Oh, about time, Anima- Waitaminute..." Then the instant she said "Although I wish the mayor wasn't so busy with the campsite and Smash..." then it struck me "Okay we're getting Isabelle." And then the letter showed up.

At first I was bit confused and a tad disappointed that she was looking like an Echo Fighter for Villager, but slowly it got more interesting when we see her do some more unique stuff like the Fishing Rod, which was something I always thought was missing from Villager's tool kit. Seeing her animate was also cute as well, so I warmed up to it when I was like "Okay, so she's essentially a Wolf-tier semi-clone of Villager. Share some similar attacks, but also has enough of her own to make her stand out in the roster."

By that point I was pretty okay with her, and about half-a-day later, I'm welcoming her to the cast of all-stars. I'll probably end up using her more than Villager since I'm curious about the fishing rod.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Greatest reveal after Inklings. Was so wholesome and cute.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Super happy about her reveal. I was not a huge supporter because to me, I felt like Isabelle would eventually happen, and focused my time and resources to support others, but that does not mean that I love Isabelle any less.

I'm a huge fan of Animal Crossing New Leaf, and Isabelle is by far one of my favourite AC characters ever. I'm really happy that she is more than just an echo, and that as a true Nintendo All-Star she got the true newcomer feature. I'm happy for her fans (which I'm part of), and happy for her supporters in Smash, who I have become now, and I'm looking forward to play as her when the game comes out, she seems fresh and fun!

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman

We still haven't heard anything about the green mode, so there has to be one more Smash direct to cover that. And there's no rule saying every character must be revealed in a direct.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Also ... Nook might be a surprise.

I mean. Dark Pit was a surprise unrevealed in Smash 4 as an echo.
This could repeat.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
having another version of Villager makes me roll my eyes, he’s a campy annoying character.

And I can just see the trolls flocking to this character online, with her op looking up B

As for the character, I felt nothing for her in AC, and her smash trailer did nothing for me.

But congrats

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero

The game is still 3 months away. We are not getting the final character 3 months before release.

We will get a smash focused direct in late October, going over the modes not covered yet, like that story mode, returning smash run, break the targets, and board the platforms I bet. During that I am sure we'll get at least 2 more newcomers and a bunch of echos.

And then a week before the game launches we should get another smash direct, like the 50 facts one. This could cover online modes and some other things, plus the last character reveals(again, I assume at least 2 newcomers and a bunch of echos), and the talks on how DLC is going to happen.

So relax, and stop being a jerk. Be happy we got a character, and a character that is insanely popular and very important to nintendo. You got yourself over hyped thanks to that week delay.

Luxent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luxent
Switch FC
Sakurai DID say he was going to reveal all the fighters before the same releases so there's plenty of time to have more directs and announcements.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Ha. No. A Smash Direct in October is unlikely. It makes more sense to have one last Smash Direct before the game releases to stir up even more hype. Probably in late November or the very beginning of December. I doubt they would have a Smash Direct in October AND in November. That's just an awful lot. Instead I'm expecting one quiet random character reveal in October.

You guys assume there's going to be lots of character reveals between now and Dec. 7th but at the pace characters have been trickled out I highly doubt we'll have more than 3 new unique fighters.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Ha. No. A Smash Direct in October is unlikely. It makes more sense to have one last Smash Direct before the game releases to stir up even more hype. Probably in late November or the very beginning of December. I doubt they would have a Smash Direct in October AND in November. That's just an awful lot. Instead I'm expecting one quiet random character reveal in October.

You guys assume there's going to be lots of character reveals between now and Dec. 7th but at the pace characters have been trickled out I highly doubt we'll have more than 3 new unique fighters.
I don't think its that unlikely honestly. its not unheard of. it would keep the hype up of talking about the new mode in october or early november, then have a final short one right before launch to discuss online and DLC, plus the remaining fighters

Even then, I can still see us getting a decent amount more newcomers. not more then 5 or 6 though.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
My reaction:
"Oh, that makes sense."
It was my most understated reaction. That said, it was also pretty clear to me Isabelle would be in.
We are knocking out Nintendo all-stars left and right. I truly only feel Captain/Toad, Meowth, and Dixie are left, regarding that Status.

Later in the day, I started to think that the AC placement was very off (how they did the announcement). I also realized it was 40 minutes, and no longer believe that was the initial direct we were going to see last week.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
All-Star is subjective. Isabelle is popular but no where near the status guys like Mario, Link, or Pikachu who are cultural icons.

zferolie

Smash Hero
All-Star is subjective. Isabelle is popular but no where near the status guys like Mario, Link, or Pikachu who are cultural icons.
well, nintendo has been pushing her a lot, and she is used a ton on Stock holder meeting powerpoints from what I have seen

SuperDoom1

Smash Journeyman
SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE
NNID
SuperDoom
3DS FC
4656-6065-5905
You got yourself over hyped thanks to that week delay.
It wasn't because of the delay. I always get excited for Directs, and especially for that "one more thing". The past four Directs had big announcements for these OMTs. January, Dark Souls. March, the fact that Smash Bros. Ultimate even exists. June, Ridley. August, K. Rool. (Wasn't hyped, but I kinda wanted him in.)
September...a dog and AC Switch. yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay
That wasn't very hype, at least for me. Through deductive reasoning, I figured that would be the last. That's why I was such a butt about it, and I sincerely apologize.
However, apologies can be revoked. If this was the last Direct, you will feel my wrath once again. *gets deleted by a mod because of that last sentence*

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Initial - Right away I knew what it meant, she's playable in smash, she's not an echo so they spent time on her, I regret looking forward to this direct, oh they did this just so they can promote the new AC game, makes sense from a business view, but meh, another newcomer im uninterested in, they are really letting me down.

A few hours after - She doesnt deserve to be her own character, and that was just so underwhelming, why didn't they have someone bigger revealed with her? She cant carry the hype alone. At least she won't stop the hyper during a true smash direct, that'd be so bad.

next day - Eh whatever, Sakurai gave some people a character they wanted, and I have a new dummy in training mode, grats guys! I hope I can be excited for the next revealed character.

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
Was rather surprised she wasn't an echo, but she looks like a more fun version of the Villager, what with using different tools, and using shared tools differently (like the gyroid rocket). I'll be trying her out.

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
I was sooooo happy because New Leaf was the first Animal Crossing game I played. Plus they tied her announcement in with a new AC game which was awesome. I will admit the trailer seemed a bit choppy at the beginning but once it got rolling it was good. Also, to the few people who are mad it wasn't someone else, remember that not every character is made especially for you. When Bayonetta or Cloud got announced, I wasn't thrilled, but I was happy for their fans and told myself that the game's roster is not meant to just please me, but to please everyone.

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
She robbed us of what could have been an amazing Direct.

it pained me to find out that was the last character reveal and Samurai said that all characters would be revealed before launch. Nintendo deserves a break from the Directs. They will likely take that break. No Shadow. No Scorpion. Not even Geno.

That kinda stinks. Ridley and Simon are the only new characters I care about. It could've been way more.
Not trying to criticize you, but the fact that Ridley and Simon Belmont even made it into the game in the first place is a miracle, and I feel should be enough to satisfy you. Also, Isabelle did not rob anyone of what could've been an amazing direct. It wasn't a Super Smash Bros direct. It was a Nintendo Direct, keyword NINTENDO. Just because your favorite Smash Bros character wasn't announced does not mean the rest of the direct was worse in comparison, especially when Isabelle is one of the most requested characters right now. And I mean they tied her annoucement into a new Animal Crossing, which was really cool.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
As someone who enjoys playing Animal Crossing games, it does put a smile on my face to see her in there.

SuperDoom1

Smash Journeyman
SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE
NNID
SuperDoom
3DS FC
4656-6065-5905
Not trying to criticize you, but the fact that Ridley and Simon Belmont even made it into the game in the first place is a miracle, and I feel should be enough to satisfy you. Also, Isabelle did not rob anyone of what could've been an amazing direct. It wasn't a Super Smash Bros direct. It was a Nintendo Direct, keyword NINTENDO. Just because your favorite Smash Bros character wasn't announced does not mean the rest of the direct was worse in comparison, especially when Isabelle is one of the most requested characters right now. And I mean they tied her annoucement into a new Animal Crossing, which was really cool.
Everything else in the Direct was stuff we already knew about besides LM3 and ACS. When there's a Nintendo Direct, I expect either one big character reveal if it's around Smash or new games being thrown left and right. This was disappointing.

Top Bottom