• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your "Main"...have you even PLAYED their true game?

Lucario and Pokemon Trainer? I've been a Pokemon fan my entire life. The first game I ever played was Pokemon Red. I had Diamond and Emerald on the release dates. My (now defunct) copy of Pokemon Crystal is framed, hanging on my wall, to remind me every day that it's the best game I've ever played.

Ike? I got Path of Radiance for Christmas two years ago. Played it, loved it, haven't gotten the sequel yet. If you remember, I always said just because he's slow, that doesn't mean he's not useful. I can see I was right.

Zamus? I played five minutes of Echoes and Fusion. Does that count?

Toon Link? The first Gamecube game I got was Wind Waker. It's also the last one I've got left, aside from SA2: Battle. I love the little guy, clone or not.

Wario? Wario Land 3 is the best sidescroller I've ever played. Period.

Falco? uh...I played Assault.

Pit? Nope.

There you has it.

Drik Khaail

Smash Ace
I've beaten Earthbound and Mother 3, and Luigi's Mansion is literally the only mario game I've ever beaten, so my bases are covered :p

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
I have have beaten almost every game in the zelda series, and I played Link in SSB64, and moved to Y.Link in melee.

They were both my favorite characters and fit my style of playing.

I did, however, use ness in 64 because i liked the way he played, but I could never get that good with him in melee.

I also use falco and marth, but who doesn't use them?

I am a big FE fan though. But teh links ftw

rykall

Smash Cadet
Well, in Melee I didn't care to much. I mained Falco because I thought he was good.

In Brawl, I'll main Wario. He has been my favorite Mario character and WarioWare is one of my favorite game series. He also looks great btw. :)

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
Wolf: Yes, picking him because I love his games.
Sheik: Loved Sheik a ton as a char, loved her just as much in Melee.
ZSS: Zero Mission was a good game, she seems like a good char. as well.

Kye L

Smash Apprentice
I haven't played Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragons and the Blade of Light and Pokemon Diamond.

So besides Marth and Lucario, whoever my main in Brawl will be, I will have played the game they originally came from.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
There has generally been a time where I have played the original games where each Smash character has originated, with a few small exceptions.

For one, I have not played Mother 3, from where Lucas comes from, because it is not yet translated.
I didn't know R.O.B. existed until rather recently...
I don't remember which game Wario originates from....I probably haven't played that one yet though...And no, I have not played Warioware. ><
I don't own any Metal Gear games, so Snake is out of the question.

But yes, I've seriously played pretty much all other games where each character originates from.

Anyone else here play FE1/3? lol it's a terrible game which stars Marth fyi. XD

volbound1700

Smash Master
I have several mains

Link/Y. Link - Played LoZ, AoL, Windwaker, and very recently played Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, and a Link to the Past

Kirby - Kirby's Adventures, Kirby's Dreamland

Mario - Do I have to list these? Lets just say a lot of Mario games.

I will main Sonic because he is probably my favorite video game character all-time.

Moon/Sun

Smash Apprentice
I've played and passed 7 Metroid games and about 6 Zelda games.
Wow I actually remembered them!

ndm508

Smash Journeyman
Considering the Nintendo ***** I am, I played almost every game represented in the original Smash before it came out, and since the game was made for the intention of seeing your favorite characters beat the **** out of each other, yeah, I played my favorite characters.

Even though as big of a fan that I am of the Zelda franchise, I didn't main Link until Melee...played like crap in the first Smash.

So since Smash started up long after I played everything it could represent, I do play for both reasons. Who's fun to play and who my favorite characters are. It kinda flips back and forth. Since the original Smash came out when I was in middle school, I was like everyone else, huge into Pokemon. So I played Pikachu the most in the original 64 Smash. He was my favorite character at the time, and he played the best in the original game.

Now, no longer a huge Pokemon fan (a fan still, but no where near my favorite in Brawl) I still main Pikachu along with Link because I love how he plays, even if I don't care about the series anymore. So yeah, I will play characters because I like how they play, I mean why wouldn't you? It's a videogame, have fun with it.

I will definetly still play characters simply for who they are though. I will definetly be playing Sonic, regardless of how I feel about his play style. Just because I'm so **** happy he's in.

Yojimbo

Smash Journeyman
When they announced Ike, I had played Fire Emblem: Rekka no Ken for the GBA and played as Marth for my main in melee. But I had yet to touch Path of Radiance nor had Radiant Dawn been released in the United States yet. I picked up PoR and RD over Christmas break and had a blast with them. So yes in the case of Ike.

Star Fox 64 took up a ton of my time. Haven't played Assault or Command yet, so yeah, I have Wolf representation.

None on Marth until they release his remake on the DS.

Who hasn't played a Sonic game?

Mechageo

Smash Ace
I play all of the characters, then pick my main on two conditions:

1. I like their playstyle.
2. People think the character is middle tier or lower.

That's why I picked Captain Falcon back when nobody believed in him (Around 2003) for Melee.

Of course, I'd played a lot of F-Zero before that, and I've played games for all of the characters except for ROBOT.

Ageman20XX

Smash Apprentice
Well, my first time with Smash (SSB64) I mained Pikachu just because I played Pokemon and that was it for quite a while.

Then later on in that game, and then more-so in Melee I mained Ness even though I had no idea where he was from or who exactly he was. It was Melee alone that introduced me to Ness and the Earthbound series, and because I liked Ness so much I actually found a copy of Earthbound and played it (and loved it to death).

So I guess it was the other way around for me - Smash acted as a marketing tool and because I loved the character so much, I sought out the game he was from and became a fan. Strange, huh?

Dust319

Smash Apprentice
For me, I'd say it's a little of both.
I tend to play as all the characters regardless (everyone at least once). However, I usually only stick with characters I like as a character in general AND suit my playstyle. I can't say what exactly the ratio is for me to truely stick with a character. I'd say close to 50/50 though.

As far as outside Smash goes, much like ndm508, I tend to play every Nintendo title I can get my hands on. I played Starfox Command just so I could get up to date with the Starfox series.

In relation to DK (who I plan to play alot of), I wasted alot of my childhood with the DK Country games, and every Mario title that has DK in it I usually play as him first, even if I'm not that good with him to start with.

So, the answer to the question. number one and two, and yes I play their games.

ARX-7 Arbalest

Smash Journeyman
Temple Hills, Maryland or University of MD, Baltim
hmm for melee...
I mained Peach, Jigglypuff, an Capt. Falcon
I've played Super Mario Advance (where you actually play as peach), Pokemon, and F-Zero X

for Brawl...
I PLAN to main Pit, Ike, Pokemon Trainer, Snake, Toon Link, and Lucario
I downloaded an played Kid Icarus for VC, i played Pokemon, I've played Metal Gear Solid for the gameboy an MGS 2 for the ps2, an played the wind waker.
I havent played Pokemon Diamond an Pearl (dont have a DS) an while i havent played Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance or Radiant Dawn, i have played the first fire emblem for the GBA

Luigi player

Smash Master
I choose the characters that I like the most.

I'm playing every character every now and then, and my main(s) will be the characters that I like the most and that have a playing style I want. So it's a mix.

I will NOT main a character that completely sucks. I liked Mewtwo in Melee but he wasn't my main, though I played as him every now and then.

I like Luigi and DK the most from Melee (besides Mewtwo), so I mostly played as those characters. I didn't really use DK for serious matches though, only Luigi/Falco (I like Falcos playing style (LOVE his spike :D)).

For Brawl I'll probably main Luigi, Sonic and Diddy. I don't think that all of them suck, but even if they would, there's still DK, Mario and others that I also like.

At first I'm looking at the character and if I like him, then I look how he plays.
I probably would not choose a character I don't really like as a main.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I play characters from the franchises I like and then get good at them. Like for PT, I'm a big pokemon fan and previously mained pika.........only because PT or squirtle were never playable. I just like Pt as a character. Same thing with Sonic and Bowser.The only character I ever mained that I never played the game equivalent was Captain Falcon in melee. I just like his moveset.

Riolu

Smash Apprentice
I've played most of the games that the characters have been in. But as for determining a main, I just chose someone from random and stuck with them, but i'm still going to try out all of the characters.

errtu

Smash Apprentice
both reasons. i had the gameboy kid icarus. beat it like 10 times

Sharkz

Smash Ace
NNID
Sharkz1
I had never even HEARD of Pit when I decided to main him. (The first look at him on E3 video and I knew who I was maining instantly :p) But soon after I bought Kid Icarus of the VC and beat it. I really enjoyed it as well.
I really think the SSB series is a great move for Nintendo becaue it makes people want to buy games they never would've bought. For example say no one had ever played Fire Emblem and they mained Ike, chances are they probably are going to buy or at least rent a fire emblem game to see what the character is like.

INs4niTY-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marouf
well i havnt played kid pit's game or metaknight's which i might play with. The only other one is wolf which is in assualt which i have played

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Over the course of Smash Bros., I have mained only two characters: Link and Doc. I played Link because he was a badass and I eventually got amazing with him because I had played him so long. I played Doc because one day, someone challenged me to an epic and I just happened to own with Doc, so I figured I'd learn him.

I have played all the Zelda games (except AoL), and I've played Dr. Mario.

I plan on learning Pkmn Trainer and Lucario, mainly because I'm such a Pokefreak, but also because it actually looks like they might match my playstyle, unlike Pika and Puff. I'll probably play others, but I'm not sure who yet.

Senor Crouch

Smash Journeyman
Pikachu- for question #1. I have played almost every Pokemon game that has ever come out. OMG I used to suck at Melee when I was Pikachu. Through hard work and determination I became really good with him. I am nowhere near pro status, but I consider this case a Gimpy moment.

Fox- for question #1 as well. I have just recently become a Star Fox fan. I have played Adventures and Assualt. I have also downloaded Star Fox 64 from the VC. I am pretty good with him, but not as good as I am with Pikachu.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I plan on maining Ike because he seems to be around my style of playing. Slow but strong sword user.

However, I really want to play as Diddy Kong or Toon Link because I like both of the character personally and Wind Waker is my all-time favorite LoZ game.

Ferio_Kun

Smash Journeyman
I play the character that feels right. I have a top 5 right now... (In my sig) but they may not be the ones I main in Brawl. Right now i'm going from melee/games i've played that have those characters in them.

Example: I have no interest in Olimar in brawl right now because I have no attachment to him. (from playing his games, since I have never played his games) However, when I actually get brawl, olimar may very well become my main.

UrajKingofDarkness

Smash Journeyman
Bowser has been my main character in every single game where he's been playable, since the first time I was able to play as him in Mario Kart 64 (I think he was in Mario Kart for SNES too, but I never played that). I did indeed use him the most in Melee too, despite it making my win% plummet, even when I got halfway decent with him.

I've played Brawl, though, and know he's a good step up from his Melee counterpart. To answer your question in a more general sense, I do pick my main character choices off of how much I like the character itself; however, I also usually try to find one or two other characters to play that round out my playstyle, in case I can't become proficient at my favorites.

Icarus Descent

Smash Ace
Honestly,I've never heard of Pit when I knew he was going to be my main.The first trailer made me notice how cool he was,so I decided to main him.He's also a very unique character he has a sword and arrow which is pretty cool.

I hope they make a new Kid Icarus game.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Generally, I play the character whose games and story I'm most invested in, but I'll also play a character or two who suit my playstyle.

Top Bottom