• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 Your favorite characters and their placings in MLG so far =] (UPDATED)

Status
Not open for further replies.

718_ROOKI3

Smash Lord
Nana locking Snake's all over New York City
So I was really curious to have some type of chart to display how the results for every MLG looked so far in terms of characters use in the top 32 placings. I took the time out to just do this myself and thought others may have had the same idea as me. Well here you go. Enjoy.

TOP 16 Characters for MLG Orlando: April 16th-19th:

1:metaknight:
2:snake:
3:metaknight::marth:
4:pikachu2:
5:metaknight:
6:diddy:
7:falco:
8:luigi2:
9:dedede::metaknight:
10:marth:
11:snake:
12:zerosuitsamus:
13:metaknight::lucario:
14:dedede:
15:snake:
16:marth:

TOP 17th through 32nd Characters:

17:metaknight:
18:dedede:
19:diddy:
20:metaknight:
21:metaknight::marth:
22:kirby2:
23:popo::metaknight:
24:snake:
25:dedede:
26:metaknight:
27:metaknight:
28:metaknight:
29:diddy:
30:metaknight:
31:falco:
32:wario::dedede::metaknight:

TOP 16 Characters for MLG Columbus: June 4th-6th:

2:snake:
3:zerosuitsamus:
4:metaknight::lucario:
5:metaknight:
6:diddy:
7:metaknight:
8:pikachu2:
9:metaknight:
10:ness2:
11:ike:
12:metaknight:
13:metaknight:
14:wolf::falco:
15:popo::metaknight::dedede:
16:olimar:

17:luigi2::mario2:
18:metaknight:
19:dedede:
20:falco:
21:snake:
22:dk2:
23:falco:
24:dk2:
25:marth:
26:wario:
27:snake:
28:olimar:
29:metaknight:
30:diddy::popo:
31:toonlink:
32:popo:

TOP 16 Characters for MLG Raleigh: August 27th-29th:

2:metaknight::lucario::toonlink:
3:diddy:
4:metaknight:
5:zerosuitsamus:
6:metaknight:
7:falco:
8:metaknight::marth:
9:pikachu2:
10:metaknight:
11:snake:
12:diddy::popo:
13:olimar:
14:falco::metaknight::popo:
15:popo::metaknight:
16:falco::wolf:

17:wario:
18:snake:
19:dedede::snake:
20:snake:
21:luigi2:
22:dk2:
23:falco::metaknight:
24:snake:
25:falco:
26:diddy:
27:marth::metaknight:
28:marth:
29:snake:
30:squirtle::ivysaur::charizard::shiek:
31:marth:
32:wario:

TOP 16 Characters for MLG DC: October 15th-17th:

1:diddy:
2:olimar:
3:metaknight:
4:pikachu2:
5:snake:
6:marth:
7:metaknight::marth::snake:
8:snake::metaknight:
9:dedede::metaknight::wario::popo:
11:metaknight:
12:snake:
13:diddy:
14:metaknight::lucario:
15:gw:
16:metaknight:

17:metaknight:
18:lucario:
19:snake:
20:falco:
21:zerosuitsamus:
22:metaknight:
23:dedede:
24:lucario:
25:falco:
26:falco::metaknight:
27:falco::metaknight:
28:diddy:
29:metaknight:
30:metaknight:
31:yoshi2:
32:popo:

The changes throughout all 4 Events:

-Luigi's haven't made top 8 since Orlando.

-Pikachu's(Esam LOL) made top 8, 3 out of 4 Events.

-Yoshi, Ness, P.Trainer, Ike, G&W, Shiek's and Kirby's only made top 32 once.

-Olimar's(Rich Brown LOL) greatly improved throughout the Events.

-ZSS's(Nick Riddle LOL) always made top 32.

-Wolf no longer shows face in the top 32 after the first 2 Events.

-Donkey Kong's only made top 32 at 2 Events.

-METAKNIGHT IS STILL BROKEN and the other top tiers consistently placed where they should.

PenUmbra

Smash Apprentice
Now see if MLG allowed classics then there would be a halo up there somewhere... =/

718_ROOKI3

Smash Lord
yeahhh i only made this thread for people so they can see how active and accomplished certain characters are in the Brawl community but others regions feel like flaming me for making threads in there social rooms for some dumb reason, sadface, oh well.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Uh, before you continue to claim MK is still broken, I'd like to know the ratio of MKs entered vs. the number of other characters entered. Maybe the reason only one or two Pikachu, Luigi, Diddy, Olimar, Yoshi, Kirby, ZSS, Marth, etc players placed that high, is because like, only one or two of the GOOD ONES ever entered.

Fact: A lot of the top MK players are simply better players than the people they beat.

Would you like me to move this to the MLG Brawl forum, where it will likely get more interested traffic due to relevance?

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Uh, before you continue to claim MK is still broken, I'd like to know the ratio of MKs entered vs. the number of other characters entered. Maybe the reason only one or two Pikachu, Luigi, Diddy, Olimar, Yoshi, Kirby, ZSS, Marth, etc players placed that high, is because like, only one or two of the GOOD ONES ever entered.

Fact: A lot of the top MK players are simply better players than the people they beat.

Would you like me to move this to the MLG Brawl forum, where it will likely get more interested traffic due to relevance?
I dont think thats a real fact. However, I do think its true that the diminishing returns on maining metaknight start really high for awhile and then steeply fall downward, whereas most other characters have a longer more gradual path. So at higher levels it doesnt make that much a difference, but below that I dont think its a stretch to say that a lesser player can win with metaknight.

718_ROOKI3

Smash Lord
Uh, before you continue to claim MK is still broken, I'd like to know the ratio of MKs entered vs. the number of other characters entered.
Uhh, before you start to even take Me & Thread serious on the "MK is still broken" sentence. Dan, out of all people you should know:
1. I don't take this community remotely serious.
2. I don't care about SWF
3. I'm gonna always be set in my ways. I'm a man and can think for myself.
4. When I say MK is still broken, this is my opinion, not a statement. I have never made it a statement and have never fought to make it one.

You can put this thread wherever you want, idc. I was bored. I enjoy looking at statistics and results. I enjoy seeing the little character faces. I just wanted people to have something new to look at for once.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Rob, the only reason I found this thread, is because you put it in your AIM status, and said "All Smashers read this"

So I clicked it and read it. If you spent your time collect data, organize it, and post a new thread, I'm going to assume you care.

Having a closed mind =/= being a man.

Also, this isn't my thread, and this isn't a poor place for it IF you're trying to generate attention from ATL North players specifically. If not, then I'm offering to move it to the most relevant forum.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
This is a sexy idea for a thread. The MLG Brawl forum really would be a good place for it.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
I just made a 4 page Excel spreadsheet with all of the data in the OP converted into tables, line charts, and pie charts, along with some other helpful numbers, such as the total number of characters in each 16 and 32 placement bracket, as well as the number of "1 trick ponies" in each tournament ("1 trick ponies" are characters that only had one placement TOTAL in the top 32).

It's pretty crazy how some of these statistics end up looking when put in a more visual form. I'll work on uploading images, but for now, I'll put a Mediafire link up so you can download the file yourself.

Download the Full MLG Results Spreadsheet here.

EDIT: Finally uploaded pics for those who don't want to download the file. Enjoy.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Sorry for the double post, but I like how the thread stops getting posts after an hour and a half of spreadsheets have been made. :p

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
great thread the highest placing Wario is Atomsk a d3 main =/.

Hopefully Texas Bassem, DMG, or Jnig will top 8.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Needs less MK. Its obvious that he's skewing the results, especially in the 17-32 spots. And such a consistently high % of wins is bordering on obscene. Without those wins, we have a seriously diverse arrangement of top spots.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
It's not *****ing, it's stating fact. First of all, I didn't say, nor imply, that MK needs to be banned, just that the top 32 needs less of him. That can be accomplished by having top players main more diverse selections of characters.

MK's taking between 26-40% of top spots, something no other character is even coming close to. Beneath him, there is very healthy character diversity. But, there are other trends, too. The top 16 are being pretty consistent, which you should expect from the top echelon of play, but the 17-32 spots vary... depending on MK placings, which lends to the theory that MK allows worse players to win more often; it's wholly possible that lesser skilled players are being buffed by MK and making the placings less consistent (which is a problem, because tournaments are supposed to dictate better players ).

You also see the same characters doing well at each event. There's always some Marths, always some Falcos, always a D3 or 2, and of course Snake. But, there's only one ZSS, only one Pika, and only one Diddy, usually in the top 16, which speaks to player skill, not character skill. Important to note for tier list discussions.

You can glean a lot of data from this outside of whatever conclusions you draw about MK. I notice MK more than others because of how glaringly obvious he stands out, but there's plenty to learn. I look forward to adding Dallas' info to the spreadsheet.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Yes, but we can also acknowledge that typically if multiple skilled Diddy's were to enter an event, they would probably place high.

ADHD and Felix did enter this one, however Felix got knocked out exceptionally early by a highly skilled player with a poor seed. Naturally a skewed bracket will produce skewed results.

ADHD, Gnes, and Felix will all be at Dallas I think, and I'd be surprised if they didn't all make top 16, and if two of them don't make top 12, and one of them doesn't make top 4.

(ADHD is gonna win this though :p)

D

Deleted member

A Wolf getting top 16 at 2 out of 4 MLG's? No Fox in sight in the top 32?

Shocker!

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
LMAO at >33% of top 16 being MK

Data compounded by yours truly, credit to Jack Keiser for the base data.

Note: Some characters listed won't show up on the Top 16 Percent chart, simply because they had data for being in Top 32, but never landed in Top 16.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Double post, but I just love doing statistics. =D

This is used to disprove the theory "Metaknight is just a popular character." There are clearly more Metaknights in the top 16 than there are in placings of 17-32. Moreso than any other character.

This is obviously open to interpretation, but that's my take on the matter.

V

Smash Ace
Needs more GnW
UTDZac should do well but with G&W having bad MUs with mk, snake, diddy, and marth, I don't see him doing well in tourneys anymore. He's a good character hence his tier placement, but with how common those 4 chars are his tourney results are lackluster. Besides zac, how many good G&Ws are there?

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Might as well go for completion, right?

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=290675

GO FOR IT, ROOKIE

Fill in the blanks and correct for error:

TOP 16 Characters for MLG Dallas: November 5th - 7th:

1:diddy:
2:metaknight:
3:pikachu2:
4:snake: (metaknight?)
5:sonic:
6:sonic:
7:lucario::metaknight:
8:dedede::wario: (metaknight?)
9:marth:
11:falco:
12:toonlink:
13:olimar:
14:zerosuitsamus:
15:snake::metaknight:
16:olimar:

18:ness2:
19:gw:
24:wario:

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
I'm 24th according to champ+open bracket, used all Wario except against Slushi in round 5 or something of losers, where I used Pit :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom