• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your Brawl Fear

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Hi guys, I'm fairly new on this board, and I would like to introduce myself as an intermediate Smasher that has great passion for the series (Melee in particular). I always loved getting into competitions with my friends, pla ying casual tournaments, and just having a blast un-locking everything.
Melee, in short, was a stellar game, for me one of the best ever made. Now, I know Brawl will keep me occupied for years, hopefully more than Melee. However, I have some fears in regards to Brawl. For one, when I see the videos of the game, I notice a drastic decrease in speed, and a delay after something is hit (ala SSB64). Generally, the physics have been altered. I'm worried that it might revert into being a game so slow it's unbearable to play. I know Smash 64 was great, but at times it felt too largo paced. Even after reading Gimpy's impressions, I'm still worried.
My other fear comes in regards of the cast of characters. I was younger when Melee was released, so I really enjoyed discovering all the characters, and learning their history. Almost all of them were new to me. This ranged from Samus, to Fox, to Ness, and actually, I played as Mario for the first time EVER in Smash. I'm worried that Brawl mightnot have a spectacular cast, and Sakurai may exclude integral characters, and include trivial and non-spectacular ones. I'm happy with the cast so far, but I want to see some new series represented.
My biggest fear are the movesets. Sonic's turned out to be disappointing for me. Essentailly, he has 2 spin dashes, and in his FS, he floats around. I'm also concerned because some moves are extrmely similar. Ike's and Link's FSes are too similar. So are Sonic's and Pikachu's. Some of the FSes are really don't capture the character properly. Mario's, Link's, Yoshi's and PTs are all a little off. They are cool, but PT could've had each individual Pokemon using either Blastbur, Hydro Canon or Plant Frenzy.
I'm hopeful, and optimistin about Brawl and I hope my fears are put to rest. What are you sceptic about in regards to Brawl?

Burninator

Smash Journeyman
Welcome to the forum!

Also: I can see where you're coming from, but keep in mind that the development team is literally made up of people that played Melee so much the rubber of the control sticks on their GameCube controllers started falling apart. We're getting a game made BY the fans, FOR the fans.

Also, I'd like to direct you to this thread, which should cure any unease about the future state of Brawl.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=120665

FerreTrip

Smash Cadet
I'm afraid that they'll not give Ryan Drummand Sonic...wait, too late f'that...****. K, also afraid that they'll not give EVERYONE a playable role in SE. And that Mewtwo ain't in it anymore as a playable character ;.;

Magnacor

Smash Ace
Well "Intermediate-Smasher-that-has-Great-Passion-for-the-Series", my biggest concern is something that I know will happen. I won't get that same feeling of discovery I did as when I played Melee. That game was the first time I really learned that there was more to Nintendo then Mario and Pokemon. It made me venture outside my saftey zone and try new games. It was really fun when I learned about the new characters and tried out there infiviual games and I'll be sad not to have that same sense of discovery. I know I probably won't be too worried about my "sense of discovery" when I see how awesome the game is, but I can't help but feel a tinge of disappointment.

Froilen

Smash Apprentice
I thik you may have paranoia:ohwell:

i dont have Fearings ... i Only have miss-speling-like-probles:chuckle: pleas dont mention them

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Well "Intermediate-Smasher-that-has-Great-Passion-for-the-Series", my biggest concern is something that I know will happen. I won't get that same feeling of discovery I did as when I played Melee. That game was the first time I really learned that there was more to Nintendo then Mario and Pokemon. It made me venture outside my saftey zone and try new games. It was really fun when I learned about the new characters and tried out there infiviual games and I'll be sad not to have that same sense of discovery. I know I probably won't be too worried about my "sense of discovery" when I see how awesome the game is, but I can't help but feel a tinge of disappointment.
Bingo! I agree 100% about that. Pokemon was pretty much my "safety-zone". Then I started to pick up Zelda, Mario e.c.t. Brawl however, mich lead me into Metal Gear, MOTHER, and Kirby. I can't wait to see what other series are incorporated!

pass the syrup

Smash Journeyman
I have a nagging fear that I will have to learn the controls all over again even though I know I won't.

weird

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
I feel sorry for the young ones that will somehow be tricked into playing new Sonic games after playing Brawl. That would just be cruel.

rockmace

Smash Apprentice
actually, my only fear it that the online play be plagued with elitist jerks, or boring noobs.

and thare's no way to avoid that- it is called human nature.

fortunately, every gamer in the planet will play it - finding a decent opponent, shouldn't be that hard

there's not actual reason to fear.

what if your favorite character is not that good? that wont stop you from using it, right?

what if there aren't lots of great stages? what's the point, everyone will use the flat one.

what if it plays different from melee? well, obviously, if you want to play melee, play it. this is a new game

have no fear, patience is a better choice

TheLeperKhan

Smash Cadet
actually, my only fear it that the online play be plagued with elitist jerks, or boring noobs.

and thare's no way to avoid that- it is called human nature.

fortunately, every gamer in the planet will play it - finding a decent opponent, shouldn't be that hard
Fortunately for you, there has been no update regarding plans for voice chat, and the taunts system will be for friend code matches only. So it may be kind of hard to find elitist and noobs other than play style/skill.

Zek

Smash Ace
My sole fear is the possibility that Mega Man won't make it into the game.

Tobi-

Smash Ace
I feel sorry for the young ones that will somehow be tricked into playing new Sonic games after playing Brawl. That would just be cruel.
Yea, Sonic is pretty much dead. I know, it's sad. But the fact that their sole main game "Sonic the Hedgehog" for PS3 was a failure + it was their anniversary game..sigh..They shot sonic and now he's dead. I'll always remember Sonic adventure 1 and 2, and Sonic Shuffle, Truly the most epic sonic era.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
It will be interesting to see where everyone falls with online play, especially with the friend code system... and yes, it is a whole new game. Don't worry though, fear only that you might not be able to stop playing it.

plasman

Smash Apprentice
My fear is that people don't give Brawl a chance to make it's claim as a good game, however different it may play from Melee. In the beginning I was infected by the "omgz what if Brawl is teh sukz?" but then Gimpyfish and the previously linked Positive Brawl thread cured me and I really can't wait to play it. Which leads me to my second fear which is another release date push backwards.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
My main fear is some characters.... Like I fear Geno, K. Rool and Pac-Man may not make it.
I somewhat fear of the idea that a Animal Crosser will make it.
I fear stage builder may not be as deep and detailed as I want and hope it will be but I should just be thankful that it's a feature in the first place.
Last fear I have is Brawl may not have some stages I want to see like K. Rool's stage form DKC, Mount De De De(wresting ring stage), and a stage based on Geno with Forsest Maze music. That may seem like a lot but that's what I think about.:urg:

Besides that Brawl will be the best Smash Bros. yet.:)

Rocketspark

Smash Cadet
My only fear is the release date being pushed back again.
And that's not so much a fear as it is an annoyance, since they'll only be doing it to put on a few more last min. details if they do.

Wait. One other fear.
Tails not making it into the game in any way, shape, or form.

Shishou

Smash Apprentice
That some of the characters I really like will be god/top tier and everyone else will play them for that reason.

D

Deleted member

My fear is that it will be too similar to Melee and not enough like the 64 version. I didn't like Melee.

lookatthatbaconsizzle

Smash Journeyman
I agree with Razed. The release date being pushed back is my only fear for this game. That and Fierce Deity Link not showing up in some form.
Seriously, that should have been Link's FS.

In other news, my greatest fear is my friends wanting to now play with items on (NNNNOOOOO!)!

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
I think my only fear is that they might be cutting unique characters from the roster for no good reason. While I'm all for them cutting (or giving new life to) the clones, I just don't see a good reason ever for them to cut characters with unique movesets, like Ness, Mr. Game & Watch, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Marth, etc.

bushidoyoshi

Smash Rookie
My only fear is it being a noticeably unfinished game. Honestly Id rather have them delay it even more and have it be clean and finished than no added delay, but a noticeable let down. (But I have great doubts of it being a let down at all...dont worry I am just as positively hyped about the game as most fans).

I'd rather not... but if I had to it would be Luigi or Sonic being the worst character in the game... my absolute worst fear... other then fear itself, of course.

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
I think my only fear is that they might be cutting unique characters from the roster for no good reason. While I'm all for them cutting (or giving new life to) the clones, I just don't see a good reason ever for them to cut characters with unique movesets, like Ness, Mr. Game & Watch, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Marth, etc.
*now 17 minutes after tonight's update* Sure am glad I jinxed that one for myself, yup.

**** Lucas.

Top Bottom