• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Young Link : My Fellow Mains, Let Us Bring Him Up

rhan

Smash Hero
That joke actually gave me a laugh... lmao

It was a nice welcome back onto Smashboards/Young Link Forums. :)

Fluffy G

Smash Rookie
I come back to the YL forums and I see this ****? ...

Insane whateverthe**** guy, you don't know what the **** you're talking about. You don't know YL and from that post and others I've seen you don't know much about how Melee really works in general or the scene. There isn't more to discover/learn improve on. YL never countered a high tier character.

Puff is not relatable to YL in any way, Puff has always been broken ****ing super gay *** tier from the get go. YL does not have what it takes to succeed in this game. Not in the uppermost levels.

as for the topic creator if you come up with something for this character I didn't, I will suck your d!ck for the rest of eternity.
but that ain't happenin'

thread KABOOM.

this is ****ing stupid

lmao, so awesome. I have never seen a thread ICG has not posted in. lol

n0ne

Smash Ace
nah i think that y.link has potential.
The first time i started with melee way back in 02 i remember maining Link. then i stopped playing caruise my gc busted then like in 07 i picked ruip TY.Libnk abnd i ***** witgh ghim.

Altho I do remember i got ***** by a falcon in some friendles so i stopped maining him .
Now i use mario, ganon, falcon, G&W (Fox too, but hes high so--excluded). And i **** with all 4.
Low tiers has nothing to do with it. btw some low tiers **** other mid-high tiers.
Like G&Wdoes to Falcon.

every once in a while i use him again and i still ****. i think its unexpected.
Also. If u DO use him u GOT TO abuse uair i have not yet found a move with more priority.and it combos alot
and avoid getup attacks. that sooooo ****s me up. and it gets me so mad too.
people doing getup attacks is like the most gayest thing that can be done in ALL melee... unless its accidental i understand... bcuz it happens to me even, every once in a while.

I admit tho. its very hard to beat fox unless u are playing on the ledge but imo Falco,Falcon, peach, jiggs , marth give me not too much trouble (the latter a bit more tho.)

Animal

Smash Lord
what makes y link suck? i feel like he has potential. he should AT LEAST be mid tier i feel

n0ne

Smash Ace
how do u guys play vs fox with y.Link? i usually have to be real close to the ledge Just in case, to retaliate... if i start to see an opening then i start comboing to death. Grab techchases dont work nowadays. People will just stay on the ground or something.

Laijin

Smash Hero
First off. If someone doesn't tech, charge a downsmash or something lol. Punish them!

How to play against Fox vs. Y.Link.
My answer is simple.
You don't. lol.

BUT if you really insist on doing so, it works two ways.
Aggressive foxes are honestly easier to deal with cause they run into all of your projectiles. Just run around, z bomb drop and watch them follow you and run into on platforms and such. Its a pretty uphill battle man..

Campy Foxes. I hate these so much. Its pretty tough. Just try and out camp them with projectiles lol.

Edit:
Wow that was pretty lame advice =\

n0ne

Smash Ace
yeah i know i used to main y.link before but nowadays hes just like a character i dropped then suddenly i surprise and use him.

If its a ffer then i would go Falcon and techchase his *** ALL DAY BABY or if
im lulzing then id go g&w. he SOOOOO has a better time against falcon and spacies. the matches are even in his favor. altho hes a low tier and everyone underestimates u.

Thats the thing. maybe u can do well with young link if ur oponent underestimates you.

IDK its just my opionion , and just making conversion also.

Altho i do know dair meteor spikes CAN be mastered (saw lil lank`s video altho i do not know who he is) i pretty much do it also myself... i never saw grounded ledge up B spikes, nor mastering of the rolling bomb glitch.

So yeah there still are stuff to be done with his metagame. Also edge cancelling is uber easy with him. that helps alot

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
One thing about aggressive Foxes is that Fox moves so fast that you can't even throw maybe projectiles. As you jump away and throw something, he's already kicking you in the face. I do like doing the z drop trick, but I have a hard time just pulling them out.
Against completely campy Foxes, I can at least pull out some projectiles and toss them since lasers don't lock me down. Then again, true, campy doesn't just mean laser spam, it's pretty much not approaching... so Fox can just dodge everything.

I think it's like, a mix of aggressive + campy that makes the match up like, 99-1 Fox haha. Lucky most aggressive Foxes are all about the techskill instead of knowing actual matchups, so they may not realize what they can actually do.

bahamutz69

Smash Journeyman
**** i havent played a serious match with yl in a while
hes a character that you need to know in and out to use in an even decent fashion
like experience is your best friend here
idk who that comment is directed at but thats kinda the deal with all low tiers

since he doesnt have a single thing that you can abuse you have to mix all his **** up, know all the situatations
hes too fun to play though so that helps
also hes got gimps which helps with fast fallers, he just usually cant set them up from a grab which makes it hard

mindgames and edgeguards

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
y link being above pikachu is debatable, seeing as how axe got 9th at pound 4 and beat one of the best falcos.

rhan

Smash Hero
That's just Axe though. He's the ONLY good Pika. This kind of argument can be related to Samus and how hugs is the BEST with her and places high.

Just because one person does well with the character doesn't mean that the character is better in general.

*This is not a hate Axe post cuz he's **** and I adore him. Just stating if Pika is higher because of Axe, then why isn't Samus higher because of Hugs.*

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
That's just Axe though. He's the ONLY good Pika. This kind of argument can be related to Samus and how hugs is the BEST with her and places high.

Just because one person does well with the character doesn't mean that the character is better in general.

*This is not a hate Axe post cuz he's **** and I adore him. Just stating if Pika is higher because of Axe, then why isn't Samus higher because of Hugs.*
true. I retract my statement about axe. I still believe pikachu is above young link though.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
I vote that this be renamed to the young link social thread.

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
i only read this last page so idk wats all been said before. Hugs is good, but look who stands above samus on the tier's list. M2K's fox, sheik and marth, DaShiz's Falco, armada's peach, mango's jiggz, SS,darkrain&drephen's (whos better is debatable) falcon. ICs and Samus can be placed a lil closer together, but thats about it.

ylink can't be a mid (especially over link) cuz his lack of range on attacks make him very vulnerable to ranged characters like sheik, marth, samus, ganon roy ect. I go to work on marth with link, but its a whole different story with ylink. not to mention, his hookshot is too short and doesnt help his recovery very much so hes reliant on his up-b as his most useful recove.

like everyone has said ylink vs fox is a highly difficult match-up to win. I myself have been discussing this issue with Link mains for it is our hardest match-up by far

bahamutz69

Smash Journeyman
idk i think pika is better than ylink but only because hes easier to pick up
and he has his uthrow/uair/usmash bread and butter, with a reasonable nair approach, gimps as well
ylink doesnt really have "auto combos" and his bread and butter relies on mix up, hes a challenge

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Axe wasn't the first amazing pikachu out there. Chu dat placed using(not just him) him. n64 is amazing same as pikachad. You can't simply say oh the only reason BLANK places is cuz hes good. No he is good with ______. hugs only really rocked as samus and a little bit as gannon. I think or at least I hope people pick their charcter because it fits them perfectly, in theory fox is better than pikachu right? in like everyway but what recovery and a bit weaker up-smash but with more set-ups. shouldn't axe be able to go fox and just plain **** everyone, think if fox is twice as good as pikachu, should that make axe about twice as good?

If axe can beat MaNg0 with just pikachu think about what he could do if he kept going fox. no this is terriblely wrong yes fox is better and axe and play as fox and maybe better than most foxes. However fox isn't pikachu and that's why this fails pikachu is perfect for how axe plays. axe is better built maybe mentally or whatever with pikachu maybe it's his mindset or he ate pikachu's soul maybe who knows. But that's just him.

you can't say it's totally the player and you can't say it's just the chacrter they picked(most of the time). because if you say it's just the player then I could say they should go as a higher tier and win everytime but that's not how they can play, if you say it's who you pick then go get some random noob to fight m2k.

I'm sorry but I prey on boards that are aborbed in self pity. who can always win if it isn't one of the following caes famre by frame perfect play like never missing a power sheild and landing sheild stabs in order to beat that. or if it's impossible for you to EVER touch them case fox on hyrule or vs kirby.

if you whin i'll mock you in the cruelest ways I can.

rhan

Smash Hero
If Axe went Fox it wouldn't bee the same. Mango probably doesn't know how to play against Pika. But the higher tier characters he probably has down with Puff.

That point was just.... dumb.

Anyway YLink does too also have auto combos. His projectiles set up for about ANYTHING! You just have to know how to connect and follow up.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
i'll taunt you and be like a troll and refuse to listen how was my point dumb? you haven't explained anything to me. Y link can't combo who said you had to combo i didn't know you had to in melee. i've seen matches like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krLCZrQfZSk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg4q8eT2ZVA

both could combo but whatever. you don't have to combo to win it helps a f*** lot but if all we cared about was winning we would only play as top tiers. also that only people I know who had auto combos was falco(at least dair shine to another air gets harder as it goes), fox and sheik. and everyone one esle has to do some form of timing or spacing other than a few small things most people time like up-throw fox to air attack or grab.

I'M WWWWWIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGG

till you disprove me i'm right young link could win and it's not totally based on who you pick.

rhan

Smash Hero
You're an idiot and I refuse to answer myself to idiots. Young Link is a bad character. Yes you can win matches with him... but only either against noobs or a cripple. Honestly it's pointless explaining anything where low tiers trying to be good anyway. There is no hope. Pick up a better character. Then maybe you'd have a better chance at winning tourneys then complaining about how everyone is playing Marth.

GG. CP?

And the auto combo section was referring to Bahamutz post.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
HAHAHAHA I know i'm an idiot it would be foolish to say i'm wise. But seeing who we are all foolish how can we learn if we refuse what little knowledge we have to each other?

tell you what how about this. i'll say young link can't win if you show me a match where young link didn't make 1 mistake that means his bomb didn't backfire and didn't help him, he didn't mess up on edge gaurd, he didn't miss a grab, he wasn't predictable, and think or a mistake and that's what he didn't do. power sheilding doesn't count of course.

show me that match where they lose without making a mistake and i'll 100% argee with you that young link is a total failure.

Animal

Smash Lord
young link has the potential someone ****ing unleash it haha.

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
^ya all you guys do is talk about how bad young link is instead of trying to get good lol

Vidjo and Azen were the first good Pikachus
as for the pika discussion I'm just gunna say that pikachad is super underrated. No way is axe the only good pika..

rhan

Smash Hero
A majority of the people talking down on Young Link are the ones who have played him since their smash carrers started.. We know what we're talking about when we say that he's pretty **** bad.

Which is why I picked up Samus.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
he is pretty bad, but hes so much fun to play.

Laijin

Smash Hero
We still posting in this thread?
Young Link sucks **** guise.
I would ****ing know and so would a handful of other people in this thread who actually know wtf their talking about. He is PRETTY terrible. He just simply sucks at every high tier match up except Peach. And guess who everyone plays at tournaments? High Tiers.
I have to say ever since I picked up Sheik, I have actually been placing in tournaments. That happened with Young Link once in a blue moon.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Cool. Is that like 1 dude out of how Link players? That happens. 1 low-mid tier main does well. All the others don't.
Shroomed, Axe, Taj, etc etc. They are scattered around and its rare. Why is it rare? Because its ridiculously hard. I have personally had some good success with Young Link, but I didn't ever win tournaments because of how hard every match was. Its just simply easier with higher tier characters. You just put in less effort for more success(referring to specifically Sheik)

And that is my argument.

idk i think pika is better than ylink but only because hes easier to pick up
and he has his uthrow/uair/usmash bread and butter, with a reasonable nair approach, gimps as well
ylink doesnt really have "auto combos" and his bread and butter relies on mix up, hes a challenge
Actually. Y'Links BnBs are pretty much:
bomb -> n-air
close range boomerange -> bomb -> n-air
bomb -> d-air
bomb -> a-air
on floaty characters..
n-air -> n-air -> n-air....

Just a few examples. Every character has BnBs

ugggh...why am I posting in this thread.

eagletrent242

Smash Apprentice
I read like 5/30 posts and know that I 100% agree with Rhan and Laijin. YL doesn't have potential. Give me a good reason he has more than other low tiers. A GOOD one. Not some stupid crap like he has unlocked moves or whatever. On a side note, Pikachu ***** low tier. He's versatile, has combos, and is quicker. I learned through experience haha

Edit: @ Laijin. Dude I hate Shiek. It has absolutely nothing to do with her smashing abilities. Just a really lame character to me. And I respect your YL but then am reminded you play Shiek and am disappointed haha

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
This.

He did what with Link? Lose to a character that OUR character is suppose to counter? I'm so lost here.
Oh, he did nothing. He almost got out of a death pool. Went even in matches against most top players. Beat M2K a few times. :p

cjugs

Smash Ace
Oh, he did nothing. He almost got out of a death pool. Went even in matches against most top players. Beat M2K a few times. :p
I respect this post because HDL did take matches off m2k but that guy won a brawl tourny like a few days before so it's possible he could have been warming up. HDL must be respected because he made it into r3 at pools but he is the best link player around and he didn't make it out? so what hope is there for link? probably the same if not more than ylink might win a few local tourny's but never anything national. On the other hand imagine how many people play this game some of us will never come close to winning anything but hey may as well have a fun character.
Although if you don't want to be the best why play?

Top Bottom