• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Young Link : My Fellow Mains, Let Us Bring Him Up

Ooklah

Smash Rookie
Young Link is a very unique character in many ways. I personally feel that he is a lot better than we make him out to be. We need to unlock the potential that is hiding in this young man. This forum is to discuss ways we can do that, discuss match, recognize weaknesses so that we can improve strengths, and to just over all discuss this character. How do you think we can do this gentlemen?

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
you your self have to do as much as you can, I respect what you want to do and I won't put you down, but keep in mind not everyone gives half a crap.

I've discovered a lot of new stuff as pichu and I am testing things all the time in theory and when playing, I test every single detail and hope to find something. The best way to test things normally is to find a problem and think or the craziest ideas to fix that problem or give you more option or some new mix up for projectiles throw boomrang behind you and wait for it to come back make sure you don't grab it and approach with it as it flys at your foe to break down their defenses.

but if you really care it will be hard, but the victory will be sweet

rhan

Smash Hero
If all the past ylink mains were only able to bring him pass Roy... then I don't know what the fug else to do...

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
well, look how far the past puff's bought puff, then look at H-box and MaNg0. they are newer puff used to be good to some people now she's broken?!?!?!

there is still more to discover/learn and improve on.

it's a race to the top and your behind, people think Yl counters random high tier make him counter them, think if he had a solid counter vs puff there would be more YL players, overall skill of YL would improve, more mind trying new things= faster rate of testing and advanceing. = higher placing/ ranking.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
I come back to the YL forums and I see this ****? ...

Insane whateverthe**** guy, you don't know what the **** you're talking about. You don't know YL and from that post and others I've seen you don't know much about how Melee really works in general or the scene. There isn't more to discover/learn improve on. YL never countered a high tier character.

Puff is not relatable to YL in any way, Puff has always been broken ****ing super gay *** tier from the get go. YL does not have what it takes to succeed in this game. Not in the uppermost levels.

as for the topic creator if you come up with something for this character I didn't, I will suck your d!ck for the rest of eternity.
but that ain't happenin'

thread KABOOM.

this is ****ing stupid

rhan

Smash Hero
RC, I just try to ignore ICG 90% of the time. Way to roast a niigga though. lmao!

But yeah in a tiered based game there is no "catching up". You're just stuck where you're placed. YLink counters no higher tier character but does do exceptionally well against a few of them than others. But then it's just even or slight disadvantage to us.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I said people think YL counters peachj/puff not me, and I didn't say I know anything about YL. But if your saying there is nothing left to do/discover about YL then i'm geussing there was some really uber **** player that destroyed a lot of people at the highest possible level of YL.

I just really hate it when people say D*** I geuss we aren't going to get anywhere with _____. Or I can't win because I picked ______. it's not like it's bowser vs fox on hyrule or anything like that.

Sorry i'll post anywhere where I see that. But respect to Ooklah for wanting to try.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
There's no potential. Young Link just doesn't have the tools to beat a decent Fox. They are not there. Since Fox is most common character, this facilitates the need for a secondary for his most common matchup in a tournament setting. So there's no way to play him as a main and succeed because of super common auto-loss matchup. The format's too bad for him.

D20

Smash Lord
There's no potential. Young Link just doesn't have the tools to beat a decent Fox. They are not there. Since Fox is most common character, this facilitates the need for a secondary for his most common matchup in a tournament setting. So there's no way to play him as a main and succeed because of super common auto-loss matchup. The format's too bad for him.
This.

Also... Young Link has the worst grab in the game.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
No, he doesn't. Zelda and Bowser have worse grabs (just thinking of the top of my head). They can barely even shield grab.

Young Link can actually combo from a grab, especially when he upthrows fastfallers. If it's the lag on his grab when he misses that makes it that bad, then "Samus has the worst grab" (sure, her goes further, but she does less out of it and it comes out slower).

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
yo NJzFinest glad to see your name in this board, been a while.

I'm playin' Melee again but doubt I'll be able to get back into YL, just so hard. might be a new guy in my city to play with and if so I can get back into it.

figure I'll eventually make another video and call it : "Use Bombs Wisely Four cause three woulda sucked"

rhan

Smash Hero
RC, That's a funny *** title. lmao

Twist, see me son! Come back to MD/VA! :(

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
YLs grab isnt so bad...try yoshis... it blows. cept his dtrhow. yoshi has a great dthrow. good luck getting a grab.

what about chudat tho. he had a beastly ylink that won lotsa ****

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
well alright. i still think Ylink is a good character to pick to throw someone off. I went to a tourny in january and saw hardly any characters below high tier (which is normal) but i saw a guy randomly pull out a pikachu and beat a cfalcon that had been ****** his fox. Also I got to play Kels while i was there... he was in my pool...fml. and i took two stocks off his falco with my yoshi (and i sucked a lot then...i still suck now) but the point is ppl dont know how to fight low tiers. its a surprise! unless they play sheik...then thats just dumb.

rhan

Smash Hero
The thing with that..... it might surprise them.... But you still didn't win.... (pessimist)

rhan

Smash Hero
Eh I had that same mentality for a while when I first started. But recently I lost the metality of trying to be known as a low tier player and picked up Samus/Sheik and started to win.

YLink is not as good as we think but it's more like we are as good if we're more knowledgeable of the matchup than our opponent.

eagletrent242

Smash Apprentice
well alright. i still think Ylink is a good character to pick to throw someone off. I went to a tourny in january and saw hardly any characters below high tier (which is normal) but i saw a guy randomly pull out a pikachu and beat a cfalcon that had been ****** his fox. Also I got to play Kels while i was there... he was in my pool...fml. and i took two stocks off his falco with my yoshi (and i sucked a lot then...i still suck now) but the point is ppl dont know how to fight low tiers. its a surprise! unless they play sheik...then thats just dumb.
It was probably Pikachad! WHO IS NOTORIOUS FOR HIS TOP TIER PIKACHU! Right TRC? Anyways he's seriously legit.

Btw I approve of that combo video title.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
It was probably Pikachad! WHO IS NOTORIOUS FOR HIS TOP TIER PIKACHU! Right TRC? Anyways he's seriously legit.
It was him, and I almost went with them... And it wasn't the surprise factor that he ***** with, he is just plain ****. And he knows the CF match-up like nobody else (used to play with nesn00b).

And he lives in AL now, eagle. =)

Laijin

Smash Hero
lol I heard the rumors about ICG, but woooow the rumors did not do him enough Justice.
Pichu will only ever be above Kirby.
YL is only capable of actually going up arguably a few more tiers, but that doesn't really matter because YL will never have the advantage against a high tier character.

I now only play Young Link against certain match ups that Sheik might have trouble against(well..only because I don't know the match ups lol), but Young Link will have a 100% gaurenteed victory in(Mewtwo, Bowser, etc)

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
I say Taj has the potential.

The YL matchup is mad gay for M2 and YL isn't really a much of a combo bag.

Laijin

Smash Hero
lol. I swore for like the past 4 years I would money match Taj the very moment I see him.

Unfortunately that moment has never come up. Mewtwo should NEVER win against Young Link. I say its an impossible match up for him.
IMO its like 90-10 YL.

Mewtwo is just too ****ing big to dodge all of Young Link's projectiles. He can't get close no matter wtf he does. Sure he can be fast, but because of his size he can't dodge ****.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Only problem is that... it's Taj...

He'll find a way haha. I do agree that the matchup is heavily one sided. He's just asking to get bomb combo'd. If you ever play Taj, you better run like the wind. His semi recent matches vs Lucky scare me -.-

legion598

Smash Ace
i give mad props to anybody who uses a low tier and actually tries their best. the way i see it u just choose the char that feels the best and just roll with it for better or for worse. in the end tho i really think any character can make it as long as the player is innovative and persistent. if melee falcon were a low tier i would totally use him. brawl falcon doesnt really count lol he just doesnt feel the same and its brawl

Top Bottom