• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You guys should want more people to play Diddy.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
A lot of people here are saying to keep diddy secret.

That is stupid.

The more people that play a character, the more that characters game develops. With more popularity, more things are found out about the character. More stratigies and playstyles are developed. Everyone learns faster.

Don't be selfish. It will only hinder you.

Tell everyone how amazing diddy is. Give people practice against him. Tell them EVERYTHING.

Then adapt. This is how you get better. This is how the community grows.

kkkoala

Smash Cadet
Tell everyone how amazing diddy is. Give people practice against him. Tell them EVERYTHING.
or play vs them (asuming u can dribble lika beast) lota people who nevr playd vs a good ditty end up trying him out tbh

plus his moveset is dangerously similar to wolfs... not as much in handling as much as looks.

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
Even with the faculty of retrospect, it really doesn't make much sense why even semi-notable Diddy mains are so scant on the tournament scene (especially in the South). People were clamoring for him to be included on the Brawl roster years before the game even made it into the developmental stages - and as I recall, Gimpyfish and several others had some extremely favorable first impressions of Diddy when they got a chance to test-drive the game late last year. Everything seemed in place for Diddy to burst through the floodgates as one of the more popular character selections, and yet here we are.

Not that I'm complaining. I've benefited greatly from the fact that no one that I've played against had encountered anyone that even played Diddy, much less a competent one. Diddy's lack of notoriety has been more or less crucial in lending me that important element of surprise - the ability to just blindside and overwhelm with a character who has (arguably) the most versatile and sophisticated brand of item micromanagement in the entire franchise. I haven't placed in anything less than 4th place in any tournament I've participated in since Brawl was released, and I have that and the quiet yet fast-congealing meta-game of a sleeper character to thank for that.

For me personally, the trajectory of Diddy's popularity has particularly played out in my favor; I don't know if any other character would have allowed me to walk into a room of full of top-notch Dallas players and proceed to clean most of their clocks. =)

But I'm in accord with you here - Diddy's versatility can only stand the chance of expansion if he had more exposure. It was only a matter of time before people started to catch on to the sheer depth of his fighting style, anyway. I still stand by the notion that we have on our hands a sort-of-left-field but realistic candidate for the top tier, and it's up to us to make sure we thrust him that far.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Hylian's a traitor, kill, kill!

Dude, it's just a joke <3

But I think the people who don't get that it is a joke are taking it too literally.

I do understand that the more people play Diddy, the better he will develop as a character. To be honest, when NinjaLink first popped onto this subforum, he was very reluctant to let go of his Diddy Kong knowledge, and my immediate thoughts were something along the lines of 'If you don't share with us your knowledge, how the heck is Diddy's metagame going to progress?'.

But now he's putting out vids and everything : 3

The secrecy oath is just a joke, but I think we're letting it drag on longer than we should.

EDIT: I should hope nobody was taking it seriously >.>

Also, I think what you said, Hylian, had to be said at some point.
Although, you yourself changed the title of your first thread just to join in on said joke : 3

Didn't you hear? Rainbow Cruise is an AMAZING stage for Diddy.
Srsly.

HMD

Smash Journeyman
i think i get it some people hate new comers with diddy because they think there so great right

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
i think i get it some people hate new comers with diddy because they think there so great right
I dunno. The whole 'secrecy' thing started with people becoming too bogged down in trying to figure out a way to deal with Diddy Ditto's (I've never dealt with them, but I can't imagine it'd be too hard, assuming that you bait your opponent into nanering, then using them against them). That and people wanting Diddy to be a lower tiered character that isn't resented for being terribly cheap like Metaknight, which is incredibly backwards thinking.

But I don't honestly believe (At least for the majority of posters here), that people would actively seek to hide how good Diddy is.

People should remember that sarcasm is harder to detect in the form of text :laugh:

Heck even in this post I went out of my way to make sure people knew I was kidding.
http://smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=5077978&postcount=4

((Good God, it just sounds like I'm covering my own credibility/*** -_- ))

Count

Smash Champion
We diddy mains just like to be unique!! Ninjalink and Hylian are making us just like everyone else!! But anyway, point taken.

Player-1

Smash Legend
I tell people Diddy is amazing all the time, but I still hope no one chooses to play him. I hate diddy dittos more than Diddy Vs Snake matchup, and much rather save myself from the 200 Diddy dittos I'll face in the future than having more metagame. I just hate it that much.

null55

Smash Master
I've been afraid of Diddy the second he was announced for Brawl >_>

ADHD

Smash Hero
The thing is, once people realize he doesn't have any actually terrible matchups, just bad, he will be mained by everyone :( When that happens, we have diddy dittos at every **** tourney, have you had these yet? They're just stupid, it's like jigglypuff dittos, or peach dittos, whoever gets the next hit in first. But in the diddy version, it's whoever gets the next naner under their control. It's very annoying, and I don't feel like using some other char just for diddys because then I'll be using that char all the time.

I hope the fact that diddy is worthless against some chars like metaknight on crappy stages will tone him down a bit once he's discovered. He deserves middle tier, he really, isn't much without his bananas for long and has crappy range.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
The thing is, once people realize he doesn't have any actually terrible matchups, just bad, he will be mained by everyone :( When that happens, we have diddy dittos at every **** tourney, have you had these yet? They're just stupid, it's like jigglypuff dittos, or peach dittos, whoever gets the next hit in first. But in the diddy version, it's whoever gets the next naner under their control. It's very annoying, and I don't feel like using some other char just for diddys because then I'll be using that char all the time.

I hope the fact that diddy is worthless against some chars like metaknight on crappy stages will tone him down a bit once he's discovered. He deserves middle tier, he really, isn't much without his bananas for long and has crappy range.
No Johns.

In Diddy Ditto's, the better Diddy will win.
Learn the matchup, Be the better Diddy.

Not wanting to deal with Diddy dittos is hardly a justifiable cause for not wanting him to become a popular character, thus limiting the potential for the evolution of Diddy's metagame.

ADHD

Smash Hero
No Johns.

In Diddy Ditto's, the better Diddy will win.
Learn the matchup, Be the better Diddy.

Not wanting to deal with Diddy dittos is hardly a justifiable cause for not wanting him to become a popular character, thus limiting the potential for the evolution of Diddy's metagame.
No, the player who focuses on naner play will win. I was johning?

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
No, the player who focuses on naner play will win. I was johning?
That's what I mean though. The better Diddy will have superior banana control. Regardless of Diddy's opponent, alot can weigh upon the opponent's ability to control the bananas Diddy throws out. The inherent dilemma of Diddy ditto's being that they can both pull out bananas.

When I said, 'No Johns', it was pretty much in response to the complaint you had against the more annoying ditto matchups. I guess 'No Johns' isn't the right expression for the situation, I'll grant you that. And I won't disagree, Brawl ditto's are terrible.

But keeping on topic of the thread:

vyse said:

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
All dittos are annoying in their own right, as most of them involve who can press the buttons sooner than their opponent.

This is not the case for Diddy though, because, as Vyse said, whoever can control the bananas the best will end up winning... just gotta remember which ones are actually yours (or not, since your dash attack is uber XD).

IDK

Smash Lord
I dunno. The whole 'secrecy' thing started with people becoming too bogged down in trying to figure out a way to deal with Diddy Ditto's (I've never dealt with them, but I can't imagine it'd be too hard, assuming that you bait your opponent into nanering, then using them against them). That and people wanting Diddy to be a lower tiered character that isn't resented for being terribly cheap like Metaknight, which is incredibly backwards thinking.

But I don't honestly believe (At least for the majority of posters here), that people would actively seek to hide how good Diddy is.

People should remember that sarcasm is harder to detect in the form of text :laugh:

Heck even in this post I went out of my way to make sure people knew I was kidding.
http://smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=5077978&postcount=4

((Good God, it just sounds like I'm covering my own credibility/*** -_- ))
well first of all... any ditto sucks because you have to play way different than you normally would. mention marth dittos to EL and your face will look different tomorrow. as an example of what you're saying about being called cheap for being a character and not even being cheap with them is this: i was playing diddy almost all day, then for fun i went snake and my friend screamed hax and hit LRAstart. :/ ........ anyway we went on like that for a while then i picked MK. i lol'd. but it ended up i just played diddy because i got tired of hearing no contest. anyway i agree with hylian here, but he's partial because he plays like... everyone. doesnt have a TRUE love for diddy. :( /shame. (jk hylian)

saberhof

Smash Master
lol the diddy sucks comment is purely a joke and to piss people off :D...and i guess you finished our joke :(...

and diddy dittos are funny, annoying and cool all at the same time...theres lots of things that can happen!!

:D

and im sure lots of people will use diddy, if not some then many...

Bl4nk

Smash Cadet
You think Diddy dittoes are annoying?

That's how everyone else has it when they are fighting you.

IDK

Smash Lord
no bl4nk thats not at all what we mean. maybe if you read threads and their posts before replying. ^^^^^^

Bl4nk

Smash Cadet
I know I'd sure as **** not fight myself when i play the most annoying to play against character. What else reason is there?

About me being negative, not at all. Just telling you that fighting Diddy isn't that much different when it's a ditto match.

ADHD

Smash Hero
I know I'd sure as **** not fight myself when i play the most annoying to play against character. What else reason is there?

About me being negative, not at all. Just telling you that fighting Diddy isn't that much different when it's a ditto match.
Diddy's not annoying, you just need to learn to press A. I'll tell you what character is annoying, a lucario that spams the dair and a pit that spams the b button. Metaknight is very annoying at times....

IDK

Smash Lord
yeah... it is much different. it's not just fighting against a diddy. in any ditto you must fight much differently than you normally would. for example: as marth, putting yourself in tipper range is putting the other marth in tipper range too. please i need like someone to help me explain this to him. vyse? alpha?

Bl4nk

Smash Cadet
Diddy's not annoying, you just need to learn to press A. I'll tell you what character is annoying, a lucario that spams the dair and a pit that spams the b button. Metaknight is very annoying at times....
Not everyone has a dash attack tailored for picking up bananas you know.

IDK

Smash Lord
once again blank you dont need to dash attack them. you can SHAD, SH aerial, z catch, slide>a, etc...

Top Bottom