• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You guys are impossible to please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

D20

Smash Lord
I'm happy with what the game added... more characters. No matter which way you slice it, 35 > 25.

However, removing l-canceling, wavedashing, dash dancing, sweet spotting, and comboing (basically) ruined the game. Brawl sucks. If you disagree, it is because you sucked at Melee and/or SSB64. Period.

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
Actually it's more like this:

Fans: Can we have a large character roster with no clones and some 3rd part characters?

Sak: Nope

Fans: Oh okay....well what happen to that 50 character roster you promised?

Sak: I lied

Fans: I see....okay then can we at least have no clones?

Fans: Why not?

Sak: Because I'm to lazy to create original chars with there own movesets....even if the
character roster is small like how it is now

Fans: Can we at least lower the number of clones this time?

Sak: Nope, in fact Im including more clones this time around which will include Luigi,Ike,Lucario,Lucas,Toon Link,Falco,Wolf and Ganon.

Fans: Oh ****, well can we at least have a good game engine that plays like Melee so the game can have a competitive scene?

Sak: Nope, I dont give a **** about the competitive scene so im making this game play like SBB64

Fans: So basically u dont care about what the fans want and u only care about a paycheck

Sak: That is correct

It's not about fans being hard to please...its more about developers being lazy and unwilling to listen to fans.
Worst post ever.

INs4niTY-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marouf
Quite right you are, the game seems prettey very good so no need to whine now :)

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
However, removing l-canceling, wavedashing, dash dancing, sweet spotting, and comboing (basically) ruined the game. Brawl sucks. If you disagree, it is because you sucked at Melee and/or SSB64. Period.
Says you and your friends. The competitive scene is not the scene that gives Nintendo the most money. That would be all the casual players, all over the world, most of which don't bother visiting sites like this.

What would they say? 'Wow, this game is easier to play now! And look at all the things you can do in it! I'll take one of those!' Repeated several hundred million times over, in more than fifty different languages.

What did you want Sakurai to do? Pick the option that made less money?

And don't respond with something stupid like 'But he said that Brawl was gonna be the ultimate player experience'. That's what's known as hype. If everything you read was true, we'd live in a pretty fukked-up world.

bluethree

Smash Journeyman
Give or take one or two minor flaws in this post, and you'll realise that this is actually closer to the truth.

If you pretend that the game is perfect, or that Sonic somehow makes up for it, or that Sakurai really tried his hardest to please fans, then you really are just in denial.
Sure. If you overlook the fact that Sakurai never promised 50 characters, 35 (or 39) characters isn't a small roster, "clones" are not a result of being lazy, some of the characters mentioned aren't even clones, and that Sakurai only cared about the money and didn't even listen to fans, then his reasoning is flawless.

I never understood the hatred for clones. Other than Mario and Dr. Mario, every clone in Melee played completely different than each other.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
Sure. If you overlook the fact that Sakurai never promised 50 characters, 35 (or 39) characters isn't a small roster, "clones" are not a result of being lazy, some of the characters mentioned aren't even clones, and that Sakurai only cared about the money and didn't even listen to fans, then his reasoning is flawless.

I never understood the hatred for clones. Other than Mario and Dr. Mario, every clone in Melee played completely different than each other.
And the other extreme is that Sakurai did a fantastic job.

Which he didn't, there's no point pretending that he did. Half the people here are orgasming to the fact that they're complaining about the complainers, they just can't get enough of it.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
eh i'm happy with what we got and ya people just like to ***** so you can give them everything they want and they'll still find something to ***** about.

Kirby M.D.

Smash Journeyman
Actually it's more like this:

Fans: Can we have a large character roster with no clones and some 3rd part characters?

Fans: Oh okay....well what happen to that 50 character roster you promised?

Sak: I lied

Fans: I see....okay then can we at least have no clones?

Fans: Why not?

Sak: Because I'm to lazy to create original chars with there own movesets....even if the
character roster is small like how it is now

Fans: Can we at least lower the number of clones this time?

Sak: Nope, in fact Im including more clones this time around which will include Luigi,Ike,Lucario,Lucas,Toon Link,Falco,Wolf and Ganon.

Fans: Oh ****, well can we at least have a good game engine that plays like Melee so the game can have a competitive scene?

Sak: Nope, I dont give a **** about the competitive scene so im making this game play like SBB64

Fans: So basically u dont care about what the fans want and u only care about a paycheck

Sak: That is correct

It's not about fans being hard to please...its more about developers being lazy and unwilling to listen to fans.
How's dat SRK man? Did you get banned or are you just trolling for kicks? Also, this thread is a good month too late. Valid points, but completely dated.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
d20 said:
I rarely hand this out but you win the award for the most moronic post of the year. Go you!

L canceling? It was substituted with reduced lag for many character aerials and many of them can cancel the lag completely i.e. Sonic.

Wave dashing? No big deal since very few characters were capable of using it effectively an as a viable option. Link wasn't a good wavedasher and Zelda sure as hell wasn't.

Sweet spotting? Learn to airguard or just be more creative in how you fight. Sweet spotting isn't entirely gone either since you can just edgehog you know?

Comboing removed? Move decay says otherwise as do several combo videos.

It's rare but there are somethings that are considered bad opinions.

MisshapenKontra

Smash Rookie
Asking for new stuff is good, letting developers know what you want as a community is good. Crying because every character you wanted didn't make it is bad.

Good post /agree.

iron blade

Smash Ace
Well im not going to aplogize for having high standards and wanting the biggest bang for my buck. As a paying customer Im entittled to my own opinion, and IMO sak let the fans down. I can't approve of the 1.clone chars or the dated gameplay or the 2.small roster....I had expectations that this game failed to reach. Did we really need so many clones....couldnt Sak just take 3.1 or 2 more days to develop new chars with unique movesets.
You're one of the people this thread is about.

1. Everyone's been Luigified.
2. Complainers say 'bigger roster' but don't name any characters. They just want 50+ without ever saying who would actually be in.
3. You obviously don't know how much work goes into creating a character.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
God, if you want to make a point, don't contribute to bringing up this argumrnt.

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty easy to please.
When I found out people were ACTUALLY complaining (aka when I joined these forums) I was like, WHAT.
This is one of the most epic games of all-time.
(See also: my opinion, extended.)

CronoMaster

Smash Apprentice
people who thinks that brawl sucks are not smart, but u gotta admit that brawl is not as good as it couldve been, in my opinion they focused a lot in adventure mode and not so much in the main mode, battle, so they tried to adjust everything to fit the SSE

may that or whatever be the case, the thing is that brawl had a lot of potential, and didnt live up to it, let aside the hype, sakurai himself said a lot of things, no clones, more females, and theyre not there, thats why people is dissapointed

i read a few days ago an interview with him, he was asked about rankings, voice chat, 3rd party characters, and such questions, and he gave the lamest answers

the game is not bad at all, the game IS good, but not as good as it couldve been

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
Fans: We want Sonic!
Sakurai: Ok.
Fans: We want online!
Sakurai: Ok.
Fans: We want a better adventure mode!
Sakurai: Ok, here's the SSE.
Fans: We want a ton of awesome and cool features!
Sakurai: Ok, here's Stage Builder, taking snapshots, four possible controllers, tons of customization such as my music, the addition of Assist Trophies and Final Smashes, and tons of amazing new modes.
*brawl comes out*
Fans: WHAT? No Megaman/Ridley/Issac/Geno/whoever? No DLC? Despite all the new modes and features that makes Brawl the ulitmate dream fan gaem, because of this one little detail, Brawl SUCKS! I hate you Sakurai! I totally do not appriciate all you've done to make this game incredible, when there wouldn't even BE a Brawl if it weren't for you!

i agree 100% but you should post this on other fourmes as well

bluethree

Smash Journeyman
And the other extreme is that Sakurai did a fantastic job.

Which he didn't, there's no point pretending that he did.
Agreed. There are some legitimate complaints (tripping and tether recoveries becoming useless when someone is on the edge pop to my mind instantly). "Cloned" movesets, roster size, and a general change in physics (which eliminates certain advanced techniques) are not.

People who call Sakurai a liar and say that he didn't even listen to fans are moronic.

sakurai himself said a lot of things, no clones, more females, and theyre not there, thats why people is dissapointed
except that he never said any of that. Other people started putting words in his mouth and/or read into his words incorrectly.

CronoMaster

Smash Apprentice
You're one of the people this thread is about.

1. Everyone's been Luigified.
2. Complainers say 'bigger roster' but don't name any characters. They just want 50+ without ever saying who would actually be in.
3. You obviously don't know how much work goes into creating a character.
u have to admit, ganondorf and young link cloned again is not a smart decision, they deserved they own moveset, i didnt want toon link, but cmon, if theyre going to put him in, at least give him his own moves!!! lucas IS luigified, and god oh god, fox-falco-wolf... why did they do that? i want to think that they had no time, cause if they really tought that was a good move well... u get me

50+ is not neccesary, 35 is pretty good, but at least make every single character original, take out falco, wolf, ness/lucas, toon link, and include original chars, i could tell krystal, andy, crono, cause they are my favs, but no, thats not the case, i mean, i dont like pokemon trainer, i do not like him as a character, i dont think i will ever use him, but he is a great addition to brawl, he is very original, i hate him, but he is great as a character, his spot in the roster is well deserved, not the case for other characters, i guess i made my point

and about the time for makin a character, yes, i agree with u, that takes time, a lot of time. as i said before, i think the problem was that they wanted everything to fit into the SSE, they wanted to make an adventure game, not a fighting game, and if u look at the game it doesnt sound crazy, just in the dojo they seem to give adventure mode most of the focus

supersonicdjs

Smash Journeyman
I'm preety much fine with the roster. But there's on ething I think they could have changed....

And that's getting rid of Wolf and adding Krystal with her OWN moveset. She could have used her staff.

But Starfox seems to be the only series with people who act exactly the same.

In the next game Slippy, Peppy, and a R.O.B. clone of R.O.B. will be in.

Nuff' said.

C.Olimar788

Smash Ace
Exaggeration ftw?

Very few people have said Brawl sucks. And a game will never please EVERYONE. If we couldn't find something to complain about then it'd have to be perfect, and nothing is perfect. Can YOU say that EVERYTHING you wanted in Brawl was in? I'd assume not.

Genodisk

Smash Apprentice
More like

Fans: The main thing we want is a bigger roster with fan favorite characters.
Sakurai: Ill spend 7 years to give u a roster of only 35 character (less than most people were suspecting and the worst possible believable roster out of all of the prophit rosters). And instead of fan favorites such as ridly, geno krystal and isaac, i guess ill give u rob(robot that isnt in a videogame and ruined the roster). Oh and a ton of clones!
Sakurai: Ok, but ahhhh, no rankings or voice chat so its just like you're playing a computer!.
Sakurai: Ok, I got a final fantasy rep to help with the story since they are known for their awsome stories but you know make it short, no voice overs and pretty much an average story.
Sakurai: Ok, here's Stage Builder(good extra feature, taking snapshots, four possible controllers(not a feature,but alot of people woulda been pissed if it just used the wiimote) , tons of customization such as my music(not and extra feature but the only thing in brawl done extremly well)., the addition of Assist Trophies and Final Smashes(meh), and tons of amazing new modes(please tell us which modes these are?.....) i cant think of any.
Fans; Please sakurai we mainly want a great roster and a capturing 1 player mode with a really good story. He better not sacrifice them to put in sumthing gay like stickers.
Sakurai; Hmmmm what could make this game amazing without adding any new, and good characters, hmmmm..... OMG STICKERSSS!!!
*brawl comes out*
Fans: WHAT? No Megaman/Ridley/Issac/Geno/whoever?(yeah we were expecting a good roster) No DLC?(only reason people want this is because the roster is horrible). Replace all the new modes and features that makes Brawl the ulitmate (focus on little things that nowon cares about and leave out the big things that made the game what it is or what it could be game),and include a nice roster and a good story for story mode and you wouldn't be getting the, Brawl SUCKS! I hate you Sakurai! I totally do not appriciate all you've done to make this game a dissapointment, when you could have done soo much more!!

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
More like

Fans: The main thing we want is a bigger roster with fan favorite characters.
Sakurai: Ill spend 7 years to give u a roster of only 35 character (less than most people were suspecting and the worst possible believable roster out of all of the prophit rosters). And instead of fan favorites such as ridly, geno krystal and isaac, i guess ill give u rob(robot that isnt in a videogame and ruined the roster). Oh and a ton of clones!
Sakurai: Ok, but ahhhh, no rankings or voice chat so its just like you're playing a computer!.
Sakurai: Ok, I got a final fantasy rep to help with the story since they are known for their awsome stories but you know make it short, no voice overs and pretty much an average story.
Sakurai: Ok, here's Stage Builder(good extra feature, taking snapshots, four possible controllers(not a feature,but alot of people woulda been pissed if it just used the wiimote) , tons of customization such as my music(not and extra feature but the only thing in brawl done extremly well)., the addition of Assist Trophies and Final Smashes(meh), and tons of amazing new modes(please tell us which modes these are?.....) i cant think of any.
Fans; Please sakurai we mainly want a great roster and a capturing 1 player mode with a really good story. He better not sacrifice them to put in sumthing gay like stickers.
Sakurai; Hmmmm what could make this game amazing without adding any new, and good characters, hmmmm..... OMG STICKERSSS!!!
*brawl comes out*
Fans: WHAT? No Megaman/Ridley/Issac/Geno/whoever?(yeah we were expecting a good roster) No DLC?(only reason people want this is because the roster is horrible). Replace all the new modes and features that makes Brawl the ulitmate (focus on little things that nowon cares about and leave out the big things that made the game what it is or what it could be game),and include a nice roster and a good story for story mode and you wouldn't be getting the, Brawl SUCKS! I hate you Sakurai! I totally do not appriciate all you've done to make this game a dissapointment, when you could have done soo much more!!
I wonder, if the roster did just have +Geno, Krystal, and Ridley, if people would still be complaining about every little thing.

*by the way, I hope you don't actually feel the same way you posted, otherwise, you're hopeless.

Noypi_GjD

Smash Journeyman
Way to generalize the whole board from a sample of immature children. Ranting on the gluttons does not make you look very intelligent, especially when you categorize us all as whiners. Hooray for rehashed threads.

Genodisk

Smash Apprentice
I wonder, if the roster did just have +Geno, Krystal, and Ridley, if people would still be complaining about every little thing.

*by the way, I hope you don't actually feel the same way you posted, otherwise, you're hopeless.
According to the boards there wouldn't be nearly as much complaining as the biggest dissapointment is the roster and those are the most popular characters that didnt make it. And i do feel that way and i dont see how im hopeless just posting the truth ;)

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
According to the boards there wouldn't be nearly as much complaining as the biggest dissapointment is the roster and those are the most popular characters that didnt make it. And i do feel that way and i dont see how im hopeless just posting the truth ;)
So add 3 characters, bringing the roster to 38, and suddenly everything is excellent?

EDIT: And giving one-player mode an actual story to play through isn't enough? I mean honestly, what else would you want?

Genodisk

Smash Apprentice
One of the little things, from Nintendo's perspective, would be tournament-level play. The big picture is the one that gives them the most money.
Like the concept of smash bros ( the roster)
A good story to play through, and it is a game focused on multiplayer mind you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom