• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You get no Sympathy in a "Fire Emblem Discussion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
ikes a very heavy hitter. You want to stay away from his attacks way more than you do with other characters. But in order for ike to use these moves he needs to get in close. This is supposed to be his downfall. Giving a move that can pressure your opponent into another position or lure them towards you is an unbalanced thing and probably why he doesn't have a projectile in the first place.
I also was refering to the fact that diddy wants him to be faster and have a buffed up b.
I'd rather have a game with a balanced cast of awesome characters than a balanced cast of boring characters. Ike shouldn't be boring.
Ikes boring right now?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You kinda describe a playstyle of another blue haired Lord from Fire Emblem. :rolleyes:

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
ikes a very heavy hitter. You want to stay away from his attacks way more than you do with other characters. But in order for ike to use these moves he needs to get in close. This is supposed to be his downfall. Giving a move that can pressure your opponent into another position or lure them towards you is an unbalanced thing and probably why he doesn't have a projectile in the first place.
I also was refering to the fact that diddy wants him to be faster and have a buffed up b.

Ikes boring right now?

To be fair, my description of a shockwave attack wouldn't be fantastic for applying long distance pressure if, to achieve projectile distance, you had to stand still and charge it up for a few seconds. It's really just the quick-firing projectiles that you need to worry about for that sort of thing.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
What, never preformed a Ken Combo before? Utilize the forward aerial to position someone into range of the down aerial's meteor smash.
Diddy's D Air >> Marth's D Air.

I ain't got no worries.

Hong

The Strongest
I very much want this to happen. It's a pipe dream of mine, but Tiki would be really cool. Plus, she's recurring to the series, as well. And that's cool. Plus, a girl/woman who can turn into a dragon is cool.
I wouldn't mind it, either. I know she was huge with the fans up until the GBA era, though unfortunately she has tapered out since then. Still adored by fans... but not quite the cult levels that she had with the Japanese audience way back in the day. Maybe we could get her as an AT.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Ike having a projectile would make him destroy noobs even harder than he does already, which would probably not be great.

I wouldn't mind it, either. I know she was huge with the fans up until the GBA era, though unfortunately she has tapered out since then. Still adored by fans... but not quite the cult levels that she had with the Japanese audience way back in the day. Maybe we could get her as an AT.
Tiki or Anna would both be interesting choices for an assist trophy, though we are probably more likely to see a popular Lord who did not make the cut as a playable character.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Ike can have a projectile. Just don't make it a spammable one. Have him do a motion similar to Captain Falcon's Punch, but with a projectile at the end of his choreography.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I wouldn't mind seeing him lose Counter to pick up a projectile. There's really no need for Ike to have that move in the first place. Give him something unique.

Hong

The Strongest
I agree. I think Ike should be retooled to be a bit more nimble and adaptable. Not necessarily have fast attacks, but move fast like he did in his games, and give him Ragnell's indirect attack to be more more interesting. An extreme example of a fast characters with slow attacks would be Captain Falcon. I would want someone else from Nintendo to fill the role of heavy-hitting swordsman... like Ganondorf or something. Maybe the projectile would use a passive charging system sort of like Wario's flatulence, only on a much shorter term.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Ike can have a projectile. Just don't make it a spammable one. Have him do a motion similar to Captain Falcon's Punch, but with a projectile at the end of his choreography.
I agree with the part of it not being spammable, but I rather have it charge and have the motion like when using Ragnell as indirect attack in his game.
I agree. I think Ike should be retooled to be a bit more nimble and adaptable. Not necessarily have fast attacks, but move fast like he did in his games, and give him Ragnell's indirect attack to be more more interesting. An extreme example of a fast characters with slow attacks would be Captain Falcon. I would want someone else from Nintendo to fill the role of heavy-hitting swordsman... like Ganondorf or something. Maybe the projectile would use a passive charging system sort of like Wario's flatulence, only on a much shorter term.
Yea, I wouldn't mind Ike being a little faster and nimbler so he can keep the Ranger look, I was surprised known of his colors were his lord look.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I've seen some discussion for Lyn's moveset, but not many people are playing off her Iaijutsu enough, IMO.

For those of you who don't know, Iaijutsu is a sword martial art that focuses exclusively on the art of drawing the blade from its sheathe and the strikes associated. Their philosophy of combat is one draw, one kill. Lyn's AT certainly follows this philosophy, and it is a good and very easy way to differentiate her from Takamaru, which would focus on sword technique with the blade already drawn.

So, what would her moves look like? How would she play? Someone said earlier that she would be nimble, the highest jumping of the Fire Emblem characters, I agree, she should be fast. But, as following with her Iaijutsu, every single move should be an incredibly fast, near instant hitbox that goes away quickly and does a lot of damage, but she should be very, very easily punishable, for while she would be able to run away even with her high ending lag, she would still have to sheathe the blade again, this should most likely be her down-b move. Granted, she could just as easily perform with her sword out, simple Kenjutsu cuts and the like, one should strive for her to be sheathed and ready at all times. She would be a very punishing character, with a nature of risk and reward unique to her, a gimmick turned full into a character, much like Megaman. I'm sure you folks who actually know about Lyn can fill in the blanks ;)

PS: I have no idea about Lyn's fighting style outside of her AT.

If we were to get a non sword user (or at least a non full sword user, but it can't be majority of the moveset) who should it be?

I still say Robin

Hong

The Strongest
Robin would be great. People say the Avatar can't be done because she is up to the player's interpretation, but I think every colour could have a different face and hair style. I would imagine her Final Smash could involve her unleashing the power of the Fel Dragon Grima.

Ephraim would probably offer the most unique gameplay, though. I mean, Sakurai stated that it is extremely important that a character can offer something unique that only they can do. Ephraim may not be anyone's favourite lord, but he was an important character in at least one game and the only protagonist who inherently focuses on the lance. If he was a lot of fun to play, I would love if he made an appearance. I mean, we all know we are going to get all the Nintendo staples appearing so fan service will be adequately covered... so at this point solid gameplay should be the top priority.

Hong

The Strongest
Whoa. I would lose it if Lief showed up.

Let's be honest; if he showed up, most people would think he is an updated Roy. ◔ᴗ◔

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I've seen some discussion for Lyn's moveset, but not many people are playing off her Iaijutsu enough, IMO.

For those of you who don't know, Iaijutsu is a sword martial art that focuses exclusively on the art of drawing the blade from its sheathe and the strikes associated. Their philosophy of combat is one draw, one kill. Lyn's AT certainly follows this philosophy, and it is a good and very easy way to differentiate her from Takamaru, which would focus on sword technique with the blade already drawn.

So, what would her moves look like? How would she play? Someone said earlier that she would be nimble, the highest jumping of the Fire Emblem characters, I agree, she should be fast. But, as following with her Iaijutsu, every single move should be an incredibly fast, near instant hitbox that goes away quickly and does a lot of damage, but she should be very, very easily punishable, for while she would be able to run away even with her high ending lag, she would still have to sheathe the blade again, this should most likely be her down-b move. Granted, she could just as easily perform with her sword out, simple Kenjutsu cuts and the like, one should strive for her to be sheathed and ready at all times. She would be a very punishing character, with a nature of risk and reward unique to her, a gimmick turned full into a character, much like Megaman. I'm sure you folks who actually know about Lyn can fill in the blanks ;)

PS: I have no idea about Lyn's fighting style outside of her AT.
In FE7, Lyn only has two kinds of attacks just as a Lord, critical and normal. As a Blade Lord, she has two as well with her sword, and then her bow attacks, both critical and normal. When she wields the Sol Katti, she gets more attacks but she doesn't use Iaijutsu, since the Sol Katti looks more like a fencing blade. With that said, here's my special moveset:

Neutral special: Sword Draw. Lyn hold the sword in her sheath. jumps slightly forward, and slashes with a lunge toward the enemy. her right foot is forward. And then she steps back and resheaths. can be charged. Different than Ike's since she doesn't really move forward. (Lyn's FE7 lord: normal attack)

Forward special: Quick Blades: Lyn partially removes her sword. Then she can unleash one of the attacks. An upward fast slash that does the least damage but the quickest. A mid range sword slash that is the slowest out of three, but only slightly, middle damage. Or a low range running Iajustu which is the strongest and passes right through the opponent, but leaves you susceptible to an another opponent (if more playing with more than two player battle). can do all three with right timing (FE7 Lyn Blade Lord: Normal Attack).

Up special: Vanishing Blade. Lyn unsheaths her sword, puts it over her right shoulder as if to aim it for a stab, adjusts the blade so it tilts up. She stretches her left arm forward as if to aim (this is wear the move has to connect). and then she disappears. If there is no opponent in front of her, she simply reappears as if she moved diagonally to what ever direction she is facing. If there is an opponent in front of her, she makes an X in an upward direction with sword effects. She ends in with the right upward strike if she is facing right, and the opposite if she is facing left. she then reappears, resheathing the blade. Can be done in air. (note: she is visible if you pause the game at the right moments) (FE7 Lyn Lord: Critical Hit)

Down Special: Counter.

Final Smash: The Lord of Blades (from the Lyn thread)
Lyn turns around like her critical hit as a Blade Lord without the Sol Katti. And a straight line of white shoot across at roughly half of a final destination in front of her. Then she proceeds to do her Blade Lord critical hit on all opponents at the same time. So she appears five times per character, surrounding them. She disappears, and uses three strikes on each characters, with last one knocking them off the stage. She then reappears where she was standing originally, crouching. (FE7 Lyn Blade Lord: Critical Hit)

Just replayed FE7 so I was inspired to do this.

Hong

The Strongest
I wouldn't be upset if 80% of the music was from Fire Emblem: Awakening.

While I have some gripes with the story and gameplay, it no doubt has my favourite presentation the series has to offer thus far. I still get nerd chills when I think about the first time I battled it out on the border of Regna Ferox.

Edit - And you can bet the OST was a day-one buy for me. The included movie, musical score and removed tracks were a nice bonus.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Someone I can agree with when it comes to Ike. :ike:

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Most of the songs were great, but it was missing a awesome recruitment theme, I just love hearing those, like Comrades (FE8) and With Us (FE9)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Hector, Sigurd and Ike are still the manliest of Lords ever.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I don't know if anyone noticed this, but I was reminded of it. When I saw it in the actual game, I flipped out.

The relationship between most Fire Emblem fans and Walhart for Smash:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
So I've finally managed to play Path of Radiance. Now, I have some music from the game I think would be cool in Smash:

Hong

The Strongest
Kind of random, but anyone else find that the original game is way better than the DS remake? I like that they had a medley for it in Brawl, even if it was not the best mix.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Haven't played the original. Only FE3 briefly. As in, the first two chapters.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Kind of random, but anyone else find that the original game is way better than the DS remake? I like that they had a medley for it in Brawl, even if it was not the best mix.
I actually kinda enjoyed Shadow Dragon....

Sebz

Luchador Extraordinaire
Hector, Sigurd and Ike are still the manliest of Lords ever.

Hector grows the manliest beard in Nintendo history. What have all the other lords accomplished? NOTHING AS MANLY AS THIS!

THIS BEARD IS SO MANLY IT HURTS!
BUT LOOK AT THE GUY, NOT A SINGLE **** GIVEN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom